Author Topic: Animorphs Relaunch covers and updates  (Read 69640 times)

Offline WildAtHeart

• My Myspace
Re: Animorphs Relaunch covers and updates
« Reply #465 on: August 20, 2011, 12:36:08 PM »
The Message is the 1 i want the most because that was the 1st Animorphs book i ever bought and read.

And i still don't know how i feel about the covers....like my #2, the picture is already starting to "flake" off? there's all these white spots across it. like scratches, even though there's no way it would've ended up scratched

Offline Slushie Man

• Just a passing-through Nerd
  • Gold Donor
    • The B-Movie Shelf
« Reply #466 on: August 20, 2011, 03:32:24 PM »
Mine are still all fine. And the original covers were far from perfect themselves, I.E. they ripped and teared super-easily.

Offline AniDragon

• Gold Donor
  • Train of thought, like broken pencil, has no point
    • My tumblr
« Reply #467 on: August 31, 2011, 01:02:10 PM »
Just got book 4 in today! Didn't have time to look through it much. The only outdated referenced I could think of off the top of my head was the dolphins being named after the Friends characters, which was kept in. (I suppose Friends is recent enough, and anyone who isn't familiar with it wouldn't really care all that much)
~AniDragon, aka Riona-chan~

Currently Reading: Winterwode, by J Tullos Hennig
Currently Writing: Demon's Bane
Currently Editing: Elder's Requiem

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Most Ladylike-Robot-superhero-weak ankled Chippendale-loose cannon teleporter-1/64 ninja-not British comedian-also not Steph-Kit in spirit-Sharing member for life-cuddlestorm-bricklayer-necromancer-Hot Dog Day enthusiast!
  • Social Staff
« Reply #468 on: August 31, 2011, 01:26:19 PM »
So I work at a Barnes & Noble as of the last month. One copy of Animorphs has been sold at my store since the rerelease happened (book #3). And the even sadder part? It was Terenia who bought it.

Not sure how well that bodes for the rerelease to continue. I don't know how Scholastic expects to sell books if they put zero effort or money into advertising. People won't buy something if they don't know it exists. Are they at least promoting these things in school book fairs and stuff like they used to? Schools do still have book fairs, right?

Marie and Abby are my wonderful RAFsisters ^_^
Salem's Story

Offline AniDragon

• Gold Donor
    • My tumblr
« Reply #469 on: August 31, 2011, 02:59:14 PM »
Once I save a bit of money, I plan on buying a few copies of each to donate to local libraries and schools... But alas, I'm a bit broke.

But I think once school starts up, they'll have those scholastic flyers, and it should be in those. That should get some kids interested, anyway.

Offline yunyun

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Dreaming on :P
« Reply #470 on: August 31, 2011, 03:09:54 PM »
i don't think it was in the June book orders, so i'm not sure if it'll be in there
:(
Just got book 4 in today! Didn't have time to look through it much. The only outdated referenced I could think of off the top of my head was the dolphins being named after the Friends characters, which was kept in. (I suppose Friends is recent enough, and anyone who isn't familiar with it wouldn't really care all that much)

they still got a bunch of reruns on and it doesn't mean that much, like K.A. Applegate could have gave them other random names
Elmo on there just seems plain weird to me
Starfire is my RAFcousin. :D
click?

Thanks Ouroborus! ^_^

Offline MoppingBear

« Reply #471 on: August 31, 2011, 03:11:13 PM »
i don't think it was in the June book orders, so i'm not sure if it'll be in there
:(

they still got a bunch of reruns on and it doesn't mean that much, like K.A. Applegate could have gave them other random names
Elmo on there just seems plain weird to me

what would they be instead? gossip girl characters?

Offline MegaJ

« Reply #472 on: September 01, 2011, 10:35:37 PM »
Reading my copy right now. The outdated reference that were updated so far are

-The "King Friday" reference in Marco's dream is changed to "falling into Sesame Street and talking to Elmo." That was useless, imo. I think PBS still shows Mister Rogers.

-Jake bringing his videocassette of the news report. Marco remarks that it's prehistoric technology and Jake snipes that not everyone has a DVR. Jake asks to use Rachel's old VCR.

Offline Slushie Man

• Gold Donor
    • The B-Movie Shelf
« Reply #473 on: September 01, 2011, 10:44:27 PM »
I grew up with Mr. Rogers and even I didn't get the whole King Friday thing. I can totally understand why they changed that, and it's much better now.

The VCR thing is actually really clever and quite funny, lol. Loves it.

Offline Dogman15

• Steam profile
« Reply #474 on: September 02, 2011, 06:41:52 AM »
So I work at a Barnes & Noble as of the last month. One copy of Animorphs has been sold at my store since the rerelease happened (book #3). And the even sadder part? It was Terenia who bought it.

Not sure how well that bodes for the rerelease to continue. I don't know how Scholastic expects to sell books if they put zero effort or money into advertising. People won't buy something if they don't know it exists. Are they at least promoting these things in school book fairs and stuff like they used to? Schools do still have book fairs, right?

I would really like to know about some sales figures for the relaunch. Is it going well? Are the book selling like they should? Or is Scholastic allowing this to be such a flop that they'll have a reason to not reprint more books? Without a modern-age Animorphs revival, we'll never get that new TV show and/or movie! :'( :( >:(

Offline Slushie Man

• Gold Donor
    • The B-Movie Shelf
« Reply #475 on: September 02, 2011, 09:50:16 AM »
Obviously they're selling well if they just recently ordered for more of the books to be re-released.

Offline AniDragon

• Gold Donor
    • My tumblr
« Reply #476 on: September 02, 2011, 03:34:21 PM »
Once I save a bit of money, I plan on buying a few copies of each to donate to local libraries and schools... But alas, I'm a bit broke.

Just bought a set for my local public library. Next month I'll take a look at some schools to donate to.

Offline Darth Revan

• Master of the Star Forge!
  • Gold Donor
  • Now you see the true Dark Lord of the Sith!
« Reply #477 on: September 02, 2011, 03:57:48 PM »
Very cool. I may pick up a couple copies. One for reading, one for preserving.
RAFengaged to Midnight_Huntress

Offline Kyle

« Reply #478 on: September 11, 2011, 07:30:09 PM »
DVR? I'm not liking this. It was one thing to replace references that modern kids wouldn't know about with something that was out at the time and more widely known today, but as far as I can tell this is the first reference  that kinda puts the series as taking place today. Sure, you might argue DVR's have been around since 1999, but no one really knew what they were back then. and even 99 is dangerously close to the "everyone has a cel phone" era.  In my mind the mention of a DVR would put Animorphs taking place in the early to mid 2000s.  And you can't just introduce celphones as we know them to the Animorphs universe without some pretty big consequences, as K.A herself has pointed out. 

Reading my copy right now. The outdated reference that were updated so far are

-The "King Friday" reference in Marco's dream is changed to "falling into Sesame Street and talking to Elmo." That was useless, imo. I think PBS still shows Mister Rogers.
Not to mention there's that Mr. Rogers reboot of sorts cartoon coming up. haha

Anyway, my local bookstore is like, a week away from closing. I haven't been buying the reprints but it was kinda nice seeing them back on the shelf again. Now I won't get to see them unless I go out of my way to find another book store. (the one that's about to close is in a mall)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 07:51:09 PM by Kyle »

Offline AniDragon

• Gold Donor
    • My tumblr
« Reply #479 on: September 11, 2011, 10:19:57 PM »
I wouldn't say everyone had a cell phone in '99. I know I didn't, anyway, and I was older than the Animorphs at that time. We had one family cell phone to use for emergencies and that was it.

And camera phones, which is where the real danger lies in terms of changing things, certainly weren't common until much later.