Author Topic: Animorphs Relaunch covers and updates  (Read 69617 times)

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
Re: Animorphs Relaunch covers and updates
« Reply #480 on: September 11, 2011, 11:30:26 PM »
I've not had the chance to read this, but it sounds like Jake is suggesting Marco does have a DVR.
And that doesn't make sense:
Marco was poor the first half dozen books
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline Darth Revan

• Master of the Star Forge!
  • Gold Donor
  • Now you see the true Dark Lord of the Sith!
« Reply #481 on: September 11, 2011, 11:34:36 PM »
Sure, but he wasn't always poor. My family had a DVR, and we were "poor". You could argue that he got one when his household had two incomes.
RAFengaged to Midnight_Huntress

Offline Slushie Man

• Just a passing-through Nerd
  • Gold Donor
    • The B-Movie Shelf
« Reply #482 on: September 12, 2011, 08:18:32 AM »
Yeah, not to mention that DVRs aren't really that expensive. I know plenty of low income people who have them, as well as other state of the art technology things. And I think a lot of people here are too young to really remember when cell phones came about. 1999? Hah! I graduated high school in 2003 and I can tell you all that even at that time, cell phones were rare. NOBODY in my school had one, and as AniDragon said, the ones who did, it was mostly just one or two per household, for emergencies.

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
« Reply #483 on: September 12, 2011, 02:10:08 PM »
damn.
My families not "poor"-you know, techniquelly, and I still don't think we have a DVR.
Know I'm still on VCR
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline Darth Revan

• Gold Donor
« Reply #484 on: September 12, 2011, 03:42:05 PM »
Well, some families have different priorities and "needs". I know my Senior year English teacher refused to have a television in his house at all. I feel sorry for his daughter.

Offline QIfry

• A 28 year old that won't grow up. Growing up sucks
    • M.O.R.P.H. - An Animorphs Fancomic Series
« Reply #485 on: September 13, 2011, 12:57:07 AM »
Well, on an updated book store report, I've been checking on my local Books-A-Million every so often to see how the sales of the books are. Last month, I only found ONE copy of Animorphs, "The Invasion". Went back a few days ago, 5 Invasions, 4 Visitors, 3 Encounter, and ONE Message.

I would like to think that sales here in Warner Robins, GA are good! :D

Offline AniDragon

• Gold Donor
  • Train of thought, like broken pencil, has no point
    • My tumblr
« Reply #486 on: September 13, 2011, 02:22:36 PM »
Yeah. Here we had about a dozen copies of everything but the latest, so it seems like they sell a lot when they first come in, then they get more stock in, and it slows down, which makes sense.
~AniDragon, aka Riona-chan~

Currently Reading: Winterwode, by J Tullos Hennig
Currently Writing: Demon's Bane
Currently Editing: Elder's Requiem

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #487 on: September 13, 2011, 07:10:44 PM »
Well, some families have different priorities and "needs". I know my Senior year English teacher refused to have a television in his house at all. I feel sorry for his daughter.

Maybe, but I know that DVRs were much more expensive and rare in households in the late 90s. I was the first person out of anyone I knew to get one and that was in 1999 after the first DVR was officially launched. If Marco has a DVR the book absolutely could not be taking place prior to 1999. Even then, DVRs didn't become popular for another five years or so, until companies other than TiVo started jumping on board and including it in cable packages.

And that just throws the timeline for everything off.

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Darth Revan

• Gold Donor
« Reply #488 on: September 13, 2011, 07:27:43 PM »
True, very true. The "update" did seem to make it less timeless and more current. I guess they couldn't help themselves. I wonder what they're going to do about the opening of Planet Hollywood? Are those even around anymore?

Offline Aniviel

« Reply #489 on: September 23, 2011, 02:07:59 AM »
(*De-lurks*) Hi guys!  :)

So I work at a Barnes & Noble as of the last month. One copy of Animorphs has been sold at my store since the rerelease happened (book #3). And the even sadder part? It was Terenia who bought it.

Not sure how well that bodes for the rerelease to continue. I don't know how Scholastic expects to sell books if they put zero effort or money into advertising. People won't buy something if they don't know it exists. Are they at least promoting these things in school book fairs and stuff like they used to? Schools do still have book fairs, right?

I would really like to know about some sales figures for the relaunch. Is it going well? Are the book selling like they should? Or is Scholastic allowing this to be such a flop that they'll have a reason to not reprint more books? Without a modern-age Animorphs revival, we'll never get that new TV show and/or movie! :'( :( >:(

I'm miffed too. I haven't seen them advertised in bookstores or online anywhere.  I haven't even seen them advertised on the Scholastic site!  I will be interested to see what happens when school starts, since they should at least be in those Scholastic mailer things. (They still have those, right?)

Once I save a bit of money, I plan on buying a few copies of each to donate to local libraries and schools... But alas, I'm a bit broke.

Just bought a set for my local public library. Next month I'll take a look at some schools to donate to.
Awesome idea.  Evangelize!  I just ordered duplicates and I'll look into my local elementary schools.  If Scholastic's not going to do anything then I will!

Edit: All Animorphs are on sale for $4.89 on the Scholastic site right now, and you can get an additional 20% off with the coupon code RECYCLE.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 02:13:05 AM by Aniviel »

Offline SkyMorpher

• Fly high, seek peace, God bless (Formerly Animel23
« Reply #490 on: September 23, 2011, 02:29:28 PM »
I really want a present day version...it's obvious it'd be a lot harder to stay secret, with everyone having cell phone cameras.

I bet The Sharing would be on Facebook lol

Offline Slushie Man

• Just a passing-through Nerd
  • Gold Donor
    • The B-Movie Shelf
« Reply #491 on: September 23, 2011, 03:11:25 PM »
"it'd be a lot harder to stay secret"

No it wouldn't. There's hundreds, if not thousands, of major Government secrets that we'll never know about even in this age. Hell, if you believe in UFO's and such, just look at those, despite all the video and audio and picture evidence, there's STILL no hard proof and there's still just as many people who don't believe as there are that do. Sure, there may be a couple one-book subplots about fuzzy pictures online of a unknown person turning into an animal or something, but even then there would be a dozen commenters on that pic crying 'Photshopped!'

Offline Kyle

« Reply #492 on: September 24, 2011, 08:56:45 PM »
I wonder what they're going to do about the opening of Planet Hollywood? Are those even around anymore?
Sure they are, I just ate the one in Florida this year.

Offline Aniviel

« Reply #493 on: September 30, 2011, 12:17:59 PM »
So the Scholastic site claims you can preorder #5 coming in December, but I did and got it in the mail yesterday!  And yes, the new Marco model graces the cover.

Offline Darth Revan

• Gold Donor
« Reply #494 on: October 03, 2011, 07:25:06 PM »
Sweet! You must take pic!