Author Topic: Animorphs Relaunch covers and updates  (Read 71564 times)

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
  • <Pirate Gloomy bear morph!>
Re: Animorphs Relaunch covers and updates
« Reply #210 on: December 17, 2010, 04:42:52 AM »
I don't like the models either... Jake seems too old, and Rachel was thin in my mind. Her model isn't even cute! (sorry for her...)
..."in a perpetual state of Celtic gloom"
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
Student Evil Demo 1.0 (explicit dialogs, 12+)
My Forum

Offline Essam 293

• Dedicated Archiver
  • Xtreme Member
    • Hirac Delest - An Animorphs Archive
« Reply #211 on: December 17, 2010, 01:38:22 PM »
i really hope they change something besides just the covers.
is it confirmed whether or not it'll just be a copy paste?

Yes, they're changing the 90s references to current time. Did you watch the video? K.A says so herself, and Michael Grant said elsewhere that they had approved those changes personally. (The story and characters will still be the same though. Its not a complete re-write of the series.)

Found it:

"An editor at Scholastic is combing the first two books for outdated references, sending suggested fixes, and asking us to approve. Which we’ve now done."

http://www.hiracdelest.com/blog/?p=589

Also check out: ANIMORPHS ANIMATED | ANIMORPHS 300

Xbox Live/PSN Gamertag: Aximlli

Offline Myitt

• Mangiatore dei gatti -- RAFcapella
  • Gold Donor
  • Don't you mean extinct...?
« Reply #212 on: December 17, 2010, 01:53:14 PM »
I'm not so sure how I feel about the series being updated, even though it was my question to K.A./Michael Grant initially, before they knew the answer would be yes.

I mean, yes, it makes the series more accessible to a new generation...but do you go about updating everything from the '90s just because it might have outdated references?  Not with literature that should be taken by virtue of its own quality.  It should withstand the changes in society, the "test of time" and all that, without needing an update.

To me, it just kind of...cheapens the whole re-release process.  That, along with the shiny new covers.  Am I alone in thinking this?

"Screw drugs.  Smoke RAF." - Ash

Offline goom

• the underling of underlings
  • Administrator
  • no other distinguishing characteristics.
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #213 on: December 17, 2010, 01:59:40 PM »
i really hope they change something besides just the covers.
is it confirmed whether or not it'll just be a copy paste?

Yes, they're changing the 90s references to current time. Did you watch the video? K.A says so herself, and Michael Grant said elsewhere that they had approved those changes personally. (The story and characters will still be the same though. Its not a complete re-write of the series.)

Found it:

"An editor at Scholastic is combing the first two books for outdated references, sending suggested fixes, and asking us to approve. Which we’ve now done."

http://www.hiracdelest.com/blog/?p=589

ah yeah, i remember now. i really hope the thought-speak KASU in book one gets fixed.

Offline Stephquiem

• #1 Poster 8)
  • Gold Donor
  • ^ Hugh. Not House, dagnabit.
    • Facebook
« Reply #214 on: December 17, 2010, 02:04:47 PM »
I'm not so sure how I feel about the series being updated, even though it was my question to K.A./Michael Grant initially, before they knew the answer would be yes.

I mean, yes, it makes the series more accessible to a new generation...but do you go about updating everything from the '90s just because it might have outdated references?  Not with literature that should be taken by virtue of its own quality.  It should withstand the changes in society, the "test of time" and all that, without needing an update.

To me, it just kind of...cheapens the whole re-release process.  That, along with the shiny new covers.  Am I alone in thinking this?

No, I agree with you.  :-X Hell, half the reason I reread Animorphs is for the nostalgic value of all the 90s references.

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
« Reply #215 on: December 17, 2010, 03:49:49 PM »
I also agree with you, Myitt. They don't re-actualize Shakespeare's nor Stowe's nor Austen's books, so why Animorphs?
That's why I hope we'll still find the old version even when the new version will be out.
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
My Forum

Offline 11:11

• I always catch the clock, it's 11:11...
« Reply #216 on: December 17, 2010, 04:17:16 PM »

In a way I agree with you. Personally the reason why I still enjoy re-reading the series is because of how nostalgic it is to my childhood, having grown up in the 90s. On the other hand it makes sense for them to update the references and covers for the re-release. I don't know then it wouldn't really be a "re-release" but more of a re-print. I don't know if that made sense...
And in that moment, I swear we were infinite.

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
  • RAF's Official Unofficial Canadian Ambassador
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
« Reply #217 on: December 17, 2010, 04:25:33 PM »
I also agree with you, Myitt. They don't re-actualize Shakespeare's nor Stowe's nor Austen's books, so why Animorphs?
That's why I hope we'll still find the old version even when the new version will be out.

Well, you can't really compare classical literature to children's literature. They wouldn't/shouldn't re-print any of Shakespeare's plays because such an idea is ludicrous. Now, a series that has only been around for ten or so years (and not hundreds) is a different matter.
Tony's pet Goose.
Unknown User is my shorm.
:raftrophy:
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)
The picture is rather accurate

warren_bearclaw

« Reply #218 on: December 17, 2010, 04:29:56 PM »
I think I somewhat consider the rerelease as a seperate series, like an adaptation or something. Any adaptation should remind you of the original source, but you understand it won't quite be the same, and typically not as good. I want to read the 'new' series at some point, but it will always be separate in my mind from the originals.

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
  • RAF's Official Unofficial Canadian Ambassador
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
« Reply #219 on: December 17, 2010, 04:31:54 PM »
     I just read book three a few nights ago. I forgot how short the books were. As a kid, it took me a few days to finish, but it took like five hours. And that was just due to the fact that I had other things to do at the time.
Tony's pet Goose.
Unknown User is my shorm.
:raftrophy:
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)
The picture is rather accurate

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
« Reply #220 on: December 17, 2010, 06:52:07 PM »

Well, you can't really compare classical literature to children's literature. They wouldn't/shouldn't re-print any of Shakespeare's plays because such an idea is ludicrous. Now, a series that has only been around for ten or so years (and not hundreds) is a different matter.
Yeah, but I just didn't find any children's literature that everybody would know and who also were pretty old and were re-edited and not modified... ^^' But I thinks Animorphs would be the first to be modified like that for a reedition.
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
My Forum

Offline Stephquiem

• #1 Poster 8)
  • Gold Donor
    • Facebook
« Reply #221 on: December 17, 2010, 06:53:59 PM »
Babysitter's Club has apparently been updated. :-X

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
« Reply #222 on: December 17, 2010, 06:55:01 PM »
Really? Well, I don't know this series ^^' But if you say so...
It's just surprising to me. I prefer to read the original versions...
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
My Forum

Offline goom

• the underling of underlings
  • Administrator
  • no other distinguishing characteristics.
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #223 on: December 17, 2010, 06:56:05 PM »
did they update the covers for those as well?

Offline Stephquiem

• #1 Poster 8)
  • Gold Donor
    • Facebook
« Reply #224 on: December 17, 2010, 06:57:13 PM »
Yeah, I agree about the original versions. :P And I don't know where BSC was originally published, but it was fairly well-known in the U.S.

did they update the covers for those as well?

Yes. Also, I made a topic about it months ago. :P