Author Topic: Battle morphs.  (Read 5774 times)

Offline Chad32

• God
Battle morphs.
« on: October 02, 2009, 10:08:06 PM »
It seems Rachel is the only one that chooses a battle morph, uses it for a while, then decides to use another, and goes with that one. Why do you think that is?

Ok, Cassie went through the first mission with a horse, then changed that come book 3. But I don't think that really counts because horses can't do much in a fight. I don't even know why she didn't pick anything at the Zoo while Rachel grabbed an elephant.

Tobias also did the Hork-Bajir thing, since Hawks aren't great for battle either, but he still goes hawk a lot.

So why do you think Rachel is the only one?

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
Re: Battle morphs.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 10:25:54 PM »
Partially just coincidence.  I mean, she finds her ideal morph in book 7, and likes it so much she sticks with it.  On the surface, at least, that's all there is to it.

But partially, I also think it's somewhat telling of her character.  I mean, she went out looking for that bear because, well, the elephant was just not bad-a$$ enough.  The only reason Cassie ever changed her morph at all was because horses cannot fight, and even wolves aren't that great for fighting, but it was good enough for Cassie, because, well, she's Cassie.  Rachel was really the only character who, after fighting Yeerks for a while and 'getting into it' the way that she does, would decide "Hey, I think I need more firepower!  I'm going to go find a bear."

Good question, by the way.  Not many people think about things like that.

Offline anijen21

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 11:08:25 PM »
that whole thing was kind of wrapped up in the plot of that book, I mean, Rachel's dealing with all of these *identity issues* now that her dad is leaving town: what does this do to my family, what does this do to me? I kind of look at her acquiring the bear as like running across hot coals at the end of a motivational weekend retreat or something--I CAN TAKE CARE OF MYSELF. The fact that she chooses a bear, in my opinion, is secondary to the fact that she chooses to acquire it by herself.
I go off topic on purpose.

Offline Thea

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 01:13:40 PM »
I haven't read it in a little while but wasn't there a practical reason, as in, she had to invade an office building and needed something powerful to get through the doors, and the elephant was just too big? Mebbe, I can't quite remember now. Interesting thought, though!

Although I do think that Tobias morphing a Hork Bajir to fight is a little silly. I know he identifies with them, but it's like making yourself equal to an enemy who also outnumbers you, he has the chance to get something bigger and badder and not only that but it's really easy for him, all he has to do is fly in and give something a tap on the head and fly away again, whereas the others generally have to poke something with fangs on the nose while in human form. Which is a leetle risky.

Also book seven was the first I ever read, I was dead confused but as soon as she turned into a bird and flew out the window I was completely hooked.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 10:07:07 PM »
After his misadventure with a Dolphin, Tobias is probably a tad leery of trying to acquire creatures. Though he does get an elephant or rhino morph during the David trilogy.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 10:20:03 PM »
After his misadventure with a Dolphin, Tobias is probably a tad leery of trying to acquire creatures. Though he does get an elephant or rhino morph during the David trilogy.

I believe he morphs elephant.  I think it said that Jake and Marco were the only ones in rhino morph, everybody else went elephant.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 10:22:10 PM »
Yeah, I wasn't really sure who was who, except that Ax remarked on his nose. so he was elephant. Jake and Rachel already had relevant morphs. I wasn't sure what Tobais, Cassie, and Marco were.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Duff

• Entreprenerd
  • God
    • Under the Capes
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 12:23:14 PM »
yea you're right, jake and marco went rhino lol i love that scene

rachel actually used the elephant a good amount through the series, she was the only one that really had a secondary battle morph

but yea acquiring the grizzly was definitely a big part of that book and what she was going through, especially when she first morphs it and just lets the bear take over into a bloody rage

Mira

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 09:02:27 PM »
I don't even know why she didn't pick anything at the Zoo while Rachel grabbed an elephant.

That is something I would like to know too...

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 09:08:46 PM »
Though it is noticable that, even though she morphed a horse, she is the first Ani to kill someone. I mean, the police officer controller died. Right? I would have liked to throw that in her face when she came up with the idea of getting rid of David.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Ecafil

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 09:48:46 AM »
Anyway, battle morphs aint just about power anyway. Since there were only 6 of them, they had to be as versatile as possible

Marco - Gorilla - The most dexterous of the battle morphs, since he has fingers. He can actually open doors, something a tiger can't.
Rachel - Grizzly - POWER! 1337!
Jake - Tiger - Best reflexes and battle instinct. If Jake went Howler tho he could have wiped out the entire Hork-Bajir army by himself with nothing but a baseball but.

Tobias - Hawk - Sight, he can see what the others might miss, and make them evade at just the right moment.
Cassie- Wolf - Stamina, in case they need to track down somebody escaping.

Ax- Andalite- the flag, to convince they're Andalites. The tail is also badass. :)

Offline Brad the Brit

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Cuz Im British.
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 10:43:01 AM »
Anyway, battle morphs aint just about power anyway. Since there were only 6 of them, they had to be as versatile as possible

Marco - Gorilla - The most dexterous of the battle morphs, since he has fingers. He can actually open doors, something a tiger can't.
Rachel - Grizzly - POWER! 1337!
Jake - Tiger - Best reflexes and battle instinct. If Jake went Howler tho he could have wiped out the entire Hork-Bajir army by himself with nothing but a baseball but.

Tobias - Hawk - Sight, he can see what the others might miss, and make them evade at just the right moment.
Cassie- Wolf - Stamina, in case they need to track down somebody escaping.

Ax- Andalite- the flag, to convince they're Andalites. The tail is also badass. :)

Hey cool that actully makes sense.... appart from cassie. When i was reading the books i always imagined that cassie took a relitivly weak battle morph because she dident really want to finght. I always imagined that she would be at the back keepimg here enemy killing to a minimum :-\

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 11:05:29 AM »
It does make quite the versatile team. Sometimes I just think it would be better if Cassie was the Gorilla, and Marco was the wolf. And Jake was a lion.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Starsword

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 08:16:24 AM »
Considering how the Hork Bajir were described as seven foot tall razor blades, I often wonder how a hawk or wolf did any real damage at all.
Until then we fight.

Offline Fwahm

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2009, 04:46:18 PM »
The Howler was really a missed opportunity.  Absolutely nothing could have seriously harmed Jake other than a Dracon to the head or a few of Visser Three's more dangerous morphs.  Plus, Howlers have enough offensive power that the howling is unneccesary in 99% of situations.  I know they had to keep Jake as Tiger to keep them from being overpowered, but still.