Author Topic: Why the animorphs tv show sucked so much  (Read 5696 times)

Offline Venus

Re: Why the animorphs tv show sucked so much
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2009, 02:29:10 PM »
To get back on topic here, lack of budget and bad casting was the bulk of the problem. Not that all of the actors were bad, but they were way too old. In the books they started the war at 13. In the show those actors all looked like they drove themselves to work. The aliens looked like amaturish muppets on sticks and the dracon beams were flashlights with scopes. It just couldn't be taken seriously. And as was mentioned before important details were cut out, and stupid ones were added. An animated show or a series of movies really would have been the way to go.

Offline goom

• the underling of underlings
  • Administrator
  • no other distinguishing characteristics.
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2009, 03:27:44 PM »
Or we could have a search function that enables people to find the topic they are after so they don't have to create a new topic.

it's not too hard to find old threads.
and if you use the search function while viewing a section of the forum, it will search the thread(s) inside of it.

our current search function is sufficient.
the problem is when people don't USE it when they make a new thread; some don't bother checking first.

but yeah, if karma is about people rating you (ie how nice vs evil you are) then why should creating a new topic be good for karma? I mean that new topic could be 'i am evil and like to slay puppies' it also makes it harder to find old interesting posts if people create new topics left right and centre.

well, but typically that wouldn't be the case.
when making a good topic, the member would be contributing to the forum in a positive manner.
if they made something as you said (i am evil and like to slay puppies), i'm positive they'd be smited for it, taking back that karma given to them for the thread.
there's always people making pointless threads in RAF parties, and i don't agree with them at all times, but we're supposed to be having fun.
[/offtopic]

Offline Bubbles

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2009, 11:01:33 PM »
To get back on topic here, lack of budget and bad casting was the bulk of the problem. Not that all of the actors were bad, but they were way too old. In the books they started the war at 13. In the show those actors all looked like they drove themselves to work. The aliens looked like amaturish muppets on sticks and the dracon beams were flashlights with scopes. It just couldn't be taken seriously. And as was mentioned before important details were cut out, and stupid ones were added. An animated show or a series of movies really would have been the way to go.

I LOL'ed at your post! But you're so right...

I always thought the show should have been on Sci Fi or made into movies like Harry Potter. But if it became a commercial success as a movie series it would probably lose a lot of the good stuff...

Would it even be possible for them to try at another tv show with better... everything? I mean, there's like, a million different versions of A Christmas Carol, for example. They should try again! The series is so great, missing an opportunity with all the advancements in CGI nowadays would be such a waste!
Taxxon, taxxoff! <3

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2009, 11:29:07 PM »
They should try again, with a better budget and on the Sci Fi network.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
  • 188 of 1,657 "Memoirs" books completed
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2009, 11:37:16 PM »
Would it even be possible for them to try at another tv show with better... everything? I mean, there's like, a million different versions of A Christmas Carol, for example. They should try again! The series is so great, missing an opportunity with all the advancements in CGI nowadays would be such a waste!

I don't see why they don't try.  I mean they "remade" TMNT cartoon into the 2003 varitation, which I'm told, is closer to the Mirage comic books that TMNT first appeared.  And the '80s cartoons weren't a flop, like the Nick Animorphs was -- though that live action television series (where Venus was introduced) was. . . .

I hope I made my point, there.

They should try again, with a better budget and on the Sci Fi network.

I agree.

Book 189: "Shenecron's Pets"
Chapter 4: "First Attempt"
(January 7, 2020)

RAFians Referenced Specifically: Demos.

Offline Nero's Fury

• "Soldier's of Vengence unite!"
  • Xtreme Member
  • JUGGALO 4 LIFE
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2009, 08:21:55 AM »
The show just wasnt made in the right time zone. Also the actors didnt portray the characters well or ANYTHING. No fights when in the books there were A LOT. No real time where the Andalites were in there normal demorphed state. It was generally an all right show

BUT it also sucked cuz dude lets face it. I wasnt in it rofl
"When you live life without regrets, the obvious result is happiness!" - Damien Steele

R.I.P Big Brother...

[/img]

Offline Bubbles

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2009, 11:50:25 AM »
Yeah I'm sure it would have been loads better lol!  :)
Taxxon, taxxoff! <3

Offline Darth Zakryn

• Banned
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2009, 12:46:32 PM »

What I didn't like about the show was morphing in CLOTHES. I mean, over-clothes, not leotards or whatever. That made me supremely angry. I mean, come on! Andalites don't wear clothes, so why would it morph with them? Just something I thought I'd throw in.

And regarding the whole Karma debate, I choose not to actively seek Karma. Hey, I want to contribute as much as I can to the Animorphs community, but not through pointless topic posts. ;)

Offline Darth Zakryn

• Banned
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2009, 12:48:27 PM »

Oh, and I feel the same way about the Harry Potter movies 4 up. The only positive things about them was Clemence Posey's swimsuit. Whoop!

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2009, 06:36:40 PM »
I never minded the clothing thing. I file that under acceptable break from reality. Though if they wore tight suits when in action, it would have been better. Then you have to wonder if they would have allowed Cassie and Rachel to be in skin tight attire.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline bball24

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2009, 12:51:54 AM »
i think that they should do a remake now, and like make the storyline in our generation, have fans act in it. They need to have the personalities perfected, they need the special graphics, and they really need to get the morphing, i mean, c'mon Jake's tiger morph was just sad in the tv show.

Offline faerykore

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2009, 12:45:03 PM »
Besides the obvious budget problems, because the show was on a kid's network, they had to censor a lot of stuff that's in the books that is considered "questionable" or risky to show kids. The lack of leotards/morphing outfits is probably part of this. They clearly couldn't show any actual violence either, and definitely couldn't show the amount and kind of violence depicted in the books...and a lot of the psychological stuff was just left out and replaced with lighter plots and the Animorphs appearing "happier" in general.

Basically if the books were accurately translated to television, the series would not be appropriate for a children's network. They played it very, very safe with the show. But putting the show on Sci-Fi or some channel like that would not have been as successful at the time because they'd be missing their main audience.

Offline animefanboy

• I'd shake your hand, but, you know, peanut arms
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2009, 12:43:25 AM »
Meh, I didn't think it sucked, but I had an issue with the absolute no combat scenes at all. What is this Dalaran? (WoW reference)
Anyways, the actors looked the part, and in some cases were doing well. Shawn Ashmore did do a pretty good job as Jake, as did Boris C as Marco. Christopher Ralph was good as Tobias, but we rarely saw him.
But the things that bugged me most was
Visser Three being in human morph 8 times outta 10, the dracon flashlights...I mean, c'mon...but the thing that bugged me most was how they found Ax, and after they find him, Rachel just appears out of complete nowhere (literally) and is introduced.

Forever Blue

Offline MoppingBear

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2009, 11:00:28 AM »
I never minded the clothing thing. I file that under acceptable break from reality. Though if they wore tight suits when in action, it would have been better. Then you have to wonder if they would have allowed Cassie and Rachel to be in skin tight attire.

morphing in clothes was an acceptable break from reality.  marco not being able to morph the security guard because the watch was constricting his arm was not.

visser three saying "it was foolish of you to come in human morphs" while in human morph himself.  when he had rachel captured he said "aw is my form disturbing to you" and then morphing to human... i get the whole budget thing, but the way they worked it into the plot was horrible.  i mean, visser 3 is chasing after the animorphs, comes to a locked door, demorphs to andalite, tailblades through it, and the remorphs to human before coming out!

the biggest thing to piss me off however was the yeerks that didnt need kandrona.  through the series, they are able to rely on waiting 3 days to test if someone is a controller.  even if they destroyed all those yeerks, the possibility of them breeding more would make the 3 day test impossible, which would have been a pretty big problem if the series had progressed.

i didnt mint the different battle morphs so much, lions are a lot easier to train than bears, but cassies was a horse? really?

the andalite disk, which was keyed to "a relative of elfangor's DNA" was able to change tobias from hawk to human.  it looked pretty simple too, weird how ax wouldnt know that andalites have such a technology.  also, it made no sense that it could only be used once, whereas when the elimmist did, it was an obvious one time favor.

Offline Brad the Brit

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Cuz Im British.
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2009, 11:15:57 AM »
All these reasons are wrong the reason the tv show sucked is because.....

They piloted one of the spaceships with a DJ deck :facepalm: