Author Topic: Enter RAF  (Read 29493 times)

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
Re: Enter RAF
« Reply #225 on: July 19, 2013, 09:24:54 PM »
And here it is, folks, the final chapter.  Which I've had, already mostly written, for, oh, about a year now?

EDIT: Click here to read the sequel.

Chapter Sixty-seven

Meanwhile, in Switzerland, the unnamed laboratory near CERN lay in smoldering ruins.  Concrete blocks the size of cars were strewn about in an apocalyptic wasteland, punctuated by still-burning fires and mangled bits of steel.  Dark smoke swirled between the deserted, jagged ruins.

Blackened bones could be seen, strewn here and there amongst the debris.  Not much was left of the bodies, no trace of skin or muscle.  Only those smoking fragments of bone.  Everything else had been burned away to smoke and ashes.

Yet, impossibly, something was moving within that concrete graveyard.  An unconscious figure slowly stirred amidst the rubble, surrounded by bent and broken steel bars that jutted out of the ground like twisted fangs.  Her features were oddly distorted, like different images of her had been laid over one another, a multiply-exposed photograph of a face.  All were african-american, but the slight differences in tone created an eerie effect, almost like darkened iridescence.

Her right eye was gone, nothing left but a blackened and jagged eye socket.  Like a crater had been blown in her face.  Stretching all across the right side of her face and part of her left, radiating and crisscrossing all around the missing eye, was an almost delicate scar, a lace-like spiderweb pattern of cracks on her skin, where she had been burned by molten shrapnel from the explosion.  It was the only thing that all the images of her face had in common, which gave it the eerily curious effect of being the only solid thing about her.  It was like looking at a broken funhouse mirror, the cracks overlaying the twisted illusion beneath.

The woman opened her remaining eye and looked around, slowly remembering where she was.  Her many-layered identity was all that had saved her from being killed in the blast.  Each version of herself had only taken minimal damage.  But if she had taken all that damage herself, in only one form, she would have certainly died.

She could feel something, off.  Her vision seemed incomplete, somehow, as though something was blocking some part of her field of sight.  She looked around, trying to see what it was.  Realizing that there was nothing in front of her, she raised a hand to touch the right side of her face, where her eye should have been.

The woman gasped in horror.  The texture under her hand was something raspy and rough and brittle.  Like crumpled paper.  That wasn't skin.  No.  That could not be her skin.

She closed her one eye, bitterly remembering her previous life.  How she had been shunned by the site that had created her.  She had been banned from that corrupt forum, forced to live in exile at its borders.  The nerve of them!  So long, so very long, she had been trapped there, with nothing but a meager few of her faithful minions to keep her company.

She remembered that day, not so long ago, when she had finally gotten her lucky break.  A fool in search of adventure had traversed into her territory, and from there it had been child's play to follow him back to whence he had come.  There she had lain hidden, in wait for a chance to strike back.

She remembered how she had eventually learned the secret to 'surfing, how to cross over from one website to another.  With that knowledge, she had eagerly found her way into the rest of the internet.  She remembered trying to recruit followers.  But she had only met with failure, again and again.

Even outside of the forum that had banned her, users were fools.  They didn't understand her power.  They didn't understand, that there could be no other ruler, no other leader to sheep such as they.

But then, she remembered that moment, when she had been offered an even sweeter deal.  By a user with no idea who or what she really was.  He had offered her a chance at infinite power.  Power over those who had disgraced her.

But as soon as she had been freed from the internet and brought forth into this strange new world beyond, she was betrayed by those who had liberated her.  She had been held against her will, studied by scientists.  No matter how she screamed and protested and even begged, they held her captive, to be their lab rat.

Of course, that was alright, now.  They had been appropriately punished for their sins.  They were dead.  Maybe not all of them, but enough.  And she was free.

Amidst the rubble of the ruined complex of her captors, a single object stood out, barely visible in the distance, through the misty haze of smoke.  Drawn towards it, the woman stumbled forward on mangled legs.

It was a white sphere.  She could see it now, as she drew closer.  It was utterly untouched by the destruction around it.  The woman approached it, in awe at its sleek smooth perfection, and held out a hand to touch it.  There was not a scratch upon its pristine surface.

She happened to catch a glance at herself, in a reflection upon its featureless white glass.  She saw her own scar for the first time.  She winced, and tentatively touched a hand to her broken face.  Her features soon twisted into a scowl, furious that anyone or anything would dare to tarnish her magnificent beauty.

"I will find those responsible for this, and I will make them pay," she vowed in a harsh voice to the empty air.

She already knew who it had been.  Who had done this.  Who had to have done this.  The only infidels who would dare to insult her beauty like this, who would dare to scorch her lovely features.

Her features twisted still further into anger and rage.  She bared her teeth, some versions of which were sharpened, like vampiric fangs.

"I will make them pay!" she repeated, louder.  The sound of her own voice seemed to fuel her demented fury.

"Do you hear me, RAFians?" AlmightyQueen howled into the wind like a wild animal.  "YOU WILL PAY FOR THIS!"
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 09:10:56 PM by DinosaurNothlit »

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #226 on: July 19, 2013, 09:39:42 PM »
*stands up and gives Dino a standing ovation*

Wow, wow, wow. It's ended, and it can only be described by one word - EPIC. And now I ltype the long speech to make the feels go away.

1. I REMEMBER THAT PART! When Blaze and Yunyun wandered off to the Bannedlands... and there was something moving behind them...

2.  If my guess is correct and Queen is the chief instigator of the Miller madness (oh look, there he is!) then I thank you very much for making it so. I was only probably, I dunno, a Sr. Member when I began First Flight (hence the often stated feeling in the book of unimportance as a relative newbie), so I hadn't known of her until I started reading Memoirs, which was much later. Thanks again for filling that up for me. :)

You do not know just how much I'm looking forward to the next book. :)

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #227 on: July 19, 2013, 10:07:52 PM »
Eee!  I cannot even tell you how much your praise means to me.  :D  There's something about having nice things said about your work by someone whose work you respect as much as I respect yours, that, it's just like, "Hey, I know you know what you're talking about!"  So, it means a LOT.  :-]

1.  Yep, that'd be her!  By the way, she also appears when the RAFians visit the facility in Switzerland for the first time, too.  ;)

2.  Hmm.  I actually hadn't even thought about Queen and Miller being potentially connected.  But it's certainly an interesting idea, one which I will have to keep in mind.  I can say this, though.  There will be another big tie-in to "First Flight" at the end of "End of RAF."

End of end of.  That was a weird phrase.  :P

Oh, and not to rush you or anything, but could you let me know whenever you get the PDF of this done?  I want to edit it into the first post so that guests can read it, and I'm also planning to send it to Rad since she's still on her hiatus from RAF.  Just, whenever you get the chance.

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #228 on: July 19, 2013, 10:26:21 PM »
You're welcome! Funny how I gave the same reaction when you complimented my work. :)

Well, today is Saturday, so I can definitely finish the PDF today.

EDIT: How about right now?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 12:33:32 AM by Saffa »

Offline theyoungphoenix

• still abby
  • Xtreme Member
  • "I'm honestly a huge dork."
    • My Book
« Reply #229 on: July 20, 2013, 09:26:25 AM »
Now I'm gonna download that PDF so I can read it whenever I want. ;D This was brilliant work! I think it's interesting that you brought Queen into this. *poders how Queen's appearance will affect the rest of the series* Yep, that is goin to be really interesting. :D I'm excited for it. :)
My Tumblr
Saffa is my shorm and RAFtwin. :D Lumy is my awesomeful RAFbrother. ;D
:raftrophy:
Best Newcomer 2013
Best RAFian Supervillan/Minion Duo 2013 (Saffa/Abby :D Morph Twins)
RAFian Artist of the Year 2016

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #230 on: July 20, 2013, 06:28:01 PM »
Thank you, both of you, so much!  ;D

I'm gonna see if I can't get at least the first chapter of "End of RAF" up sometime this weekend.  *fingers crossed*

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Most Ladylike-Robot-superhero-weak ankled Chippendale-loose cannon teleporter-1/64 ninja-not British comedian-also not Steph-Kit in spirit-Sharing member for life-cuddlestorm-bricklayer-necromancer-Hot Dog Day enthusiast!
  • Social Staff
« Reply #231 on: August 14, 2013, 12:52:17 PM »
Finally finished this, even through all my easily-distractableness. Dino... thank you. That was excellent. I'm looking forward to diving into End of RAF (and then actually keeping up with your amazing writing!)

Marie and Abby are my wonderful RAFsisters ^_^
Salem's Story

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #232 on: August 14, 2013, 01:07:33 PM »
PDF by me up in the first post if you want to keep a souvenir! :)

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Most Ladylike-Robot-superhero-weak ankled Chippendale-loose cannon teleporter-1/64 ninja-not British comedian-also not Steph-Kit in spirit-Sharing member for life-cuddlestorm-bricklayer-necromancer-Hot Dog Day enthusiast!
  • Social Staff
« Reply #233 on: August 14, 2013, 01:28:01 PM »
I think I just may ^_^

Salem's Story

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #234 on: August 14, 2013, 09:08:35 PM »
I'm thrilled that you liked it so much, Lumy!  I need to read some of your work, if only to repay all the karma you gave me.  ;D

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Social Staff
« Reply #235 on: August 19, 2013, 09:17:24 AM »
So, just to be clear here, the overall science of Enter RAF is as follows:

[spoiler=Legit Science!]The internet has always been its own separate universe, and as computers have improved, so has our ability to look into and create things within that universe.

That separate universe was created by Time Matrix, which is a fictional device powerful enough to have manifested itself in reality.[/spoiler]

... Can we do this for real? Please?

Salem's Story

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #236 on: August 19, 2013, 09:26:09 AM »
I'm guessing that's what End of RAF is all about.

need to watch more Doctor Who need to watch more Doctor Who when will I get my dongle oh gaaaawdd

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #237 on: August 19, 2013, 07:13:41 PM »
Yep, that's pretty much it, Lumy.  Right on the nose.

. . . I'm still working on the 'doing it for real' part.  I'll get back to you on that.

BTW, apologies on the lack of chapters for End of RAF.  My muse is getting super-distracted right now.

[spoiler=This conversation happened in my brain]Me: NO, muse, I am absolutely NOT writing a hypothetical sequel where Shade (Death Eater from Switzerland) goes evil and then steals the Time Matrix and attempts to make a horcrux out of it (which by the way would very possibly break reality in the process).  Seriously, I don't even care if we can put Emma Watson in it.  I'm not writing that crap.

Muse: I'm not LISTENING.  I'm too busy thinking of more ideas for you and that fic you don't want to write but totally will anyway because I SAID SO.  Nyeh.  :P

Me: Can you at least let me finish this story before-

Muse: NO.[/spoiler]

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #238 on: August 19, 2013, 11:14:28 PM »
Oh, don't worry, I know the feeling. My muse is currently fighting against coursework's constant desire to kill it.