Author Topic: Enter RAF  (Read 29517 times)

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
Re: Enter RAF
« Reply #195 on: July 10, 2013, 11:09:43 PM »
Another case of 'oh by the way I already had the next chapter ready so I'mma go ahead and post it.'

By the way, you guys probably think the book is almost over?  It isn't.  There's still a big honkin' loose end to tie up.  See if anybody can spot it before I post chapter fifty-eight.  Spoilers, though, please.

Chapter Fifty-seven

As the RAFians slowly began to approach the infant, the few forms that were left of the Champion began to shimmer, like a mirage.  After a few moments, there was nothing less than vapors, which blew away on the breeze.

The Champion would only appear when the RAFians had great and urgent need of him.  When the danger would pass, he would return to whence he came.  As had been written.  A safeguard, should the Champion ever decide to go rogue, as Pootang had done long before him.

The RAFians had learned their lesson.  Never again would they create such a monster as Pootang.

But now, all that was left of the once-mighty threat, was a crying infant.  Anna stepped carefully through the debris, feeling some ineffable force pulling her towards the child, while the other RAFians nervously held back.

Despite everything, despite all the pain he had caused, Anna knew this was her son.  It didn't make any sense, she knew it wasn't a logical emotion, because she knew she had no biological connection to the infant.  But somehow it was her child, all the same.

She bent down to pick up her son, running her hand along his arm, feeling his wispy downy yellow fur.  He was mostly human.  The only indication that he was anything else, was this yellow peachfuzz, really only a few highlights of fur along his arms and chest and cheekbones, and those black tips at the ends of his slightly-pointed ears.

Slowly, Anna brought the baby Pootang back towards the other RAFians.  A few of them recoiled, the destruction he had wrought far too fresh in their memories.

But other RAFians cautiously approached the child.  Seal looked down at the creature that had come so close to killing her, now only a harmless baby.  Despite everything, she couldn't help but to smile, as she stroked his velvety fur.  "He's kinda cute," she commented.  She smiled at the baby.  "Yes, you are.  Oh, look at those ears.  Those pointy little ears.  You look like Spock."

"Mm, bock," the baby replied, like it was mimicking the sound.  Seal laughed, and wiggled her fingers at the child.  The baby grabbed her finger and sucked on it, which at first amused Seal.  But, after a moment, she looked a little uneasy.

She pulled her hand back, causing the baby to make unhappy noises.  "He likes the way I taste," she said to herself, a note of worry in her voice.

Parker, his helmet off now that the battle was over, looked troubled.  "What do we do now?" he wondered.  "We can't let it live, can we?  What if it changes back?  Into what it was before?"

"We can't kill him," Anna said defensively.  "He's a helpless baby."

"Anna's right," Cloaky quickly agreed, positioning himself between Parker and the baby.  "I will not allow anyone to harm an innocent child."

"Innocent?" Myitt said skeptically.  "Helpless, yes, I'll grant that one.  But innocent, no.  He's not.  We all know what he is."

"Besides, we need to think about the big picture," Terenia pointed out.  "There were people killed."  A few people looked around nervously, looking for any RAFians who might be missing, so Terenia clarified.  "Newbies were killed.  Not anyone we really knew.  But they were still people, they are still dead, and it's because of him.  We were fortunate not to lose anyone closer to us than that.  Next time, we won't be that lucky.  So you have to weigh the options.  One life, versus many.  Can we really take this risk?"

"We don't know for certain that he'd ever go back to what he was," Seal cautiously put forth.  Several RAFians seemed surprised at that.  Seal, of all people, should have more reason than anyone to want Pootang gone forever.  "The whole reason he became what he was, at least according to the stories, was because he was angry and bitter at his parents for abandoning him.  We have Anna, now.  And she doesn't look to me like she's planning to abandon him a second time.  He'll be alright."

<You had better take good care of him,> Russell said to Anna.  <All of RAF is counting on you and your mothering skills.>

Anna looked uneasy at that, as she seemed to be pondering whether she could handle that much responsibility.  She looked fearfully at the child in her arms, and he looked back at her in wide-eyed innocent wonder.  She closed her eyes and nodded, knowing somewhere deep in her soul that this was right.

"I will," she declared.  "He is my son, after all.  I will never leave him again."

"What should we call him?" Blaze wondered.  "We can't really keep calling him Pootang."

Other RAFians nodded their agreement, and a few shuddered at the mere mention of the name.

"Well, how about something shorter," Anna said, thinking.  "Like, Po."  The baby seemed to brighten, smiling, as if he had recognized his name.  "You like that?" Anna said to him.  "Okay, you can be Po."

"Like the panda from Kung Fu Panda," Blaze commented, then made a ninja noise.  "I shall instruct him in the art of kung fu."

"You will do no such thing," Anna said, moving the baby away from Blaze.  Several other RAFians laughed.  "He's going to be enough of a handful as it is."

"Bo," the baby said, and laughed.  But it was hard for the RAFians not to focus on the teeth beneath his tiny, innocent smile.  Two of them were sharp.  Not so much like fangs, although they were where his canine teeth should be, but they actually looked more like two little shark teeth.

Anna noticed the other RAFians that were looking at Po's mouth, and drew the baby away from the crowd.

She knew she was doing the right thing.  Arguing for Po's life, taking him in, taking care of him.  It felt right, on some deep instinctual level.  This was her son.

So, why did she have to fight back that terrible sense of foreboding fear that was like a lump in her throat?  Why did she have to close her eyes, to hold back the tears?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 11:16:19 PM by DinosaurNothlit »

Offline Underseen

• One of RAFs resident ShapeShifters
  • Xtreme Member
  • Feisty Generation Fifteen
« Reply #196 on: July 10, 2013, 11:11:31 PM »
Those "evil monster is actually a cute baby all along" feels.
RAF awards 2012: Best Newcomer... It feels good too

Well, Blue is my RAFcousin.
 Blaze is my RAFbrother and formidable rival.

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #197 on: July 10, 2013, 11:24:37 PM »
Oh, no - them feels! They're everywhere! :D :P

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #198 on: July 11, 2013, 01:24:30 AM »
Well, I figure at this point I might as well keep going.  I had this chapter already written, too.  Apologies to anybody who wanted to guess the loose end, too late, I'm gonna reveal it.

Chapter Fifty-eight

It was the next day.  Most of the RAFians had enough time to recover from the battle.  At least physically.  Mentally, all those memories were still far too fresh.

Richard had restored RAF from a backup file, which had deleted a good deal of posts, but that was okay, because nobody really cared about saving their posts anymore.  More to the point, of course, the move had undone the entirety of the damage that Pootang had caused.  Restoring the forum instantaneously, and almost effortlessly, to all of its former glory.

It had been quite a sight to see.  One moment, RAF had been a sad sight, collapsed and ruined shambles of the familiar Boards.  The aftermath of a disaster.  But the next moment, like somebody had changed the channel on a television, everything was suddenly bright and clean and new again.  As if nothing at all had ever happened.

But the restoration had not brought back the dead.  Although Terenia had commented that none of the RAFians had really known any of the newbies that had perished, they all still felt like they should honor the deceased somehow.  And so, a service was held the morning after, and the RAFians remembered and spoke about what little they knew of the five who had been killed by Pootang.

One of the newbies killed had been a girl named Kristin.  Back when the RAFians had still been training for the oncoming battle, Dino had adopted her as a sort of protege.  Her, and a boy named Roger.  Roger had survived, Kristin had not.

Dino and Roger didn't have much to say about her, though.  Kristin had always been a shy and withdrawn kind of person.  She had seemed nice enough.  But it had been easy to see that she didn't really fit in.  Of course, Roger didn't really click with most RAFians, either.  But where Roger got brash and defensive about the fact, Kristin would withdraw from the others, seeming to retreat into her own private world.

Nevertheless, close friend or not, Dino hated the thought of someone she knew, someone she had talked to, suddenly being gone.  It was a twisting feeling in the pit of her stomach, knowing that that person would never come back.

After everyone felt the proper respect had been paid, the service silently dispersed.  Most RAFians subsequently spent the majority of the day killing time in the Bored Board, or simply resting in their quarters in the Social Board.

Later that afternoon, though, a meeting of all RAFians was called to order.  Most of the forum was surprised by that.  The battle was over.  The day was saved.  Well, wasn't it?  What more could possibly need to be done?  What was there, that still needed to be discussed?

Richard cleared his throat, getting everyone's attention.  He began, this time, much less dramatically than the last time he had spoken to this many people.

"Everyone, listen.  There's something that needs to be brought up," he said simply.  "It's something that none of the staff quite knows what to do about.  So, I'm just going to say it.  We have to do something about the reverse teleport that they used back at the Switzerland facility.  Pootang may have been defeated, but RAF has other threats that cannot, absolutely cannot, be allowed to escape into the outside world."

"We don't even know whether or not Pootang can't somehow revert back to what he was!" someone shouted from the crowd.  Anna instinctively clutched her baby tighter, feeling like she needed to defend him from the accusation.

But Richard slowly nodded.  "Exactly.  And, if he ever got out into the outside world, no Champion could be counted on to stop him.  So, we have to ensure that nothing evil can ever escape from RAF."

A beat of silence met his words, as the RAFians considered what he was saying.  Wait, but how were they supposed to be one hundred percent certain that nothing bad could ever get out?  Unless . . .

"You mean, destroy the Switzerland facility," someone said, putting the pieces together.

Alarmed voices rose, horrified that Richard and the other staff would ever even consider that possibility.  The RAFians would be trapped, forever locked away from the rest of the world.  It was one thing to agree to stay within RAF until such time as they could find a way out.  It almost felt like it was still their own choice, that way.  They each knew that, while a way out might not be available at this very moment, it would eventually be possible to return to their loved ones outside.

But, to be trapped within the forum forever, with no way out, not even a theoretical one?  That was another matter entirely.

"Calm down, calm down," Richard implored.  "We would not do this until we've found a way for everyone to leave who wants to.  And, we aren't even ready.  We would need security codes for the facility, codes that not even Goom and Ax would be able to access."

"Why are we discussing this, then, if we can't even pull it off?" another RAFian in the crowd wondered.

"Never said we can't pull it off," Richard said with a sly grin.  "We're the ones who defeated Pootang, aren't we?  You saying there's anything we can't do?"

A few RAFians shouted back affirmations like "Yeah buddy!" and "Darn right!"

"Anyway," Richard went on after the triumphant cheers had died down.  "We figure that the escaped captives who were being held at the facility, well, they may know something we don't.  We don't know much about them, but we know that one of them was an orc from World of Warcraft.  We can start there."

"You really think someone who's now an orc in the real world, is still going to be spending time playing World of Warcraft?" someone in the crowd asked incredulously.

Richard shrugged helplessly.  "It's the best we've got to go on, right now.  I don't know anything else about him, so the only other thing we could do, would be for me to go back to Switzerland and start looking.  For a bunch of people who are all probably trying very hard not to be found."

"Good point," the person who had spoken earlier admitted sheepishly.

Richard looked at Cloaky with an imploring expression, as though asking his permission for what he was going to say next.  Cloaky nodded, already guessing what Richard wanted.  "Cloak, you'd probably be best for this mission.  You're powerful enough to handle, well, I dunno what exactly, I've never played World of Warcraft before.  But you can probably handle whatever there is in there.  And you can always do your Realm Walker thing if, for whatever reason, you meet something you can't deal with."

Cloaky nodded.  "I'd be glad to go."

"Remember," Goom began.  "RAF is currently cut off from the rest of the internet.  Even your abilities, Cloaky, won't work to cross over, unless I lower the barrier at our end.  But we can't really afford to keep our defenses down, long-term.  It's still too dangerous, with the Swiss facility still out there, waiting for us to be vulnerable.  What we can do is to open the 'door' for fifteen minutes every day, at noon.  Starting at twelve, ending at twelve-fifteen.  We'll give you, say, three days.  And then we'll send someone after you.  Sound good?"

Cloaky considered all this for a moment.  He felt a little uncomfortable about the idea that someone might need to come to his rescue, but then, he doubted it would ever come to that.  So he nodded again, and said, "Sounds good."

"It's settled, then?  Okay."  Richard rubbed his hands, a nervous gesture.  Why an outerworlder would need to type out nervous gestures was anyone's guess.  But at this point maybe Richard had just gotten so used to typing everything out, that he no longer even thought about it.  "So Cloaky finds out what this orc knows about the facility.  Maybe finds a way to hijack the software and get some of us back to the real world."

Richard took a nervous breath.  "And then, a way to destroy the gateway."

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #199 on: July 11, 2013, 02:23:09 AM »
The three things that went through my mind while reading this during a particularly painful Maths class:

1. Ah, Roger and Kristin. Yeah, I remember them. :)

2. ...oh, the feels! They're attacking me again! ;D

3. As the writer of the sequel-to-the-sequel, like you mentioned, I knew the loose end even before the chapter was written, heh :D I'm glad to have been of help by providing some substance to go on that lead. :)

Definitely better than doing math. ;)

Offline theyoungphoenix

• still abby
  • Xtreme Member
  • "I'm honestly a huge dork."
    • My Book
« Reply #200 on: July 11, 2013, 10:03:40 AM »
Isn't anything better then doing math??

Anyways. I knew what it was, I just wasn't awake to post it. :) but, yet again, more great chapters. :)
My Tumblr
Saffa is my shorm and RAFtwin. :D Lumy is my awesomeful RAFbrother. ;D
:raftrophy:
Best Newcomer 2013
Best RAFian Supervillan/Minion Duo 2013 (Saffa/Abby :D Morph Twins)
RAFian Artist of the Year 2016

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #201 on: July 11, 2013, 04:50:48 PM »
Uh-huh, yeah, right, suuure you guys were both able to guess the loose end.  Which you both conveniently forgot to mention until after the fact.  *nodnod*  ;)

P.S. Funny side story, these next couple of upcoming chapters are actually the sole reason I ever started playing World of Warcraft.  I like to write accurately, so I wanted to study the subject material for a while first, right?  Well, they weren't kidding about the addictiveness of that game.  Which is, more or less, what happened to my muse, when I was writing this story before and dropped it for the past six months or so.  ::)

Moral of the story?  Don't ever write about World of Warcraft, guys.

Chapter Fifty-nine

Cloaky looked around, taking in his new surroundings.  He'd never been to the World of Warcraft before, so he'd had no way to know where he would end up.  He hadn't even really known what to aim for.

In any case, he seemed now to be in a tranquil twilight forest, surrounded on all sides by a deeply soothing shade of evergreen.  The pervading peace of the place seemed even to swallow up the smoke billowing from some nearby ruins, some alien-looking structure of white and purple.

All around the ruins, there were strange beings milling about, walking along at a casual pace or simply standing still.  A humanoid but slightly alien species with muscular builds, sky blue skin, and glowing eyes.  They had what looked almost like tendrils, growing like facial hair, out of their otherwise human faces, and bony crests of different shapes upon their heads.

One by one, several of them turned to face the newcomer.  When they spoke, it was not with the subtle hesitation that outerworlders normally demonstrated.  Players here must be practiced typists, Cloaky guessed.

"What are you doing here?" one of them demanded.  "What are you?"

Cloak hesitated, unsure whether talking to these players would help him or hinder him.  But he needed information.  He had no idea where he was or where he needed to be.

"I'm looking for an orc," he cautiously began.  "Name of Bloodbane.  Anybody know him?"

One by one, the other users answered in the negative.  Cloaky should have expected as much.  As big as the World of Warcraft was, he should have known that it would be hard to find two users who knew one another.

"Horde," one of the beings spat, uttering the word with a distain that took Cloak by surprise.  "You won't find any of their kind here.  This is Alliance territory."

"Oh," Cloak answered slowly, wondering if he had accidentally offended them somehow.  "Do you know where I might, uh, find, such a one?"

Another of the beings, a female, tilted her head curiously at Cloak.  "What are you?  I can't see under the cloak, and your title isn't showing up.  New species?  Something in beta?"

"Never mind that," Cloak said quickly, not wanting to take the time to explain the whole story.  "Just, where am I most likely to find an orc?"

"Well, that depends very much on whether you are Alliance or Horde," another of the creatures, a big brutish-looking male, said.  "You're showing up as neither.  You might want to send an error report about that."

"Let's say, I'm neutral," Cloak said evenly, already beginning to lose his patience with this stupid back-and-forth.  Outerworlders, they just didn't get it.  He just wanted to know the answer to the question he'd asked three times already.

"Orgrimmar," a fourth creature answered, seeming to sense Cloak's impatience.  "The city of Orgrimmar's probably the best place to look for an orc.  It's on the mainland, towards the west.  North end of the region of Durotar.  But we must warn you, because if you're Alliance, then you will be dead long before you can find your friend."

"And if you aren't Alliance," the first being who had spoken growled, "then I must insist you leave this place."

Cloak didn't need to be told twice.  He hastily left the strange beings who had grouped around him, glad for the excuse to be gone.

The one creature had commented that the city he was looking for was on the 'mainland,' implying that the place he was now, must be an island.  And, indeed, as he followed the path that cut through the tranquil forest, he very soon came upon the ocean.

He was pretty sure, judging from the direction of the afternoon sun, that he was headed west.  Although, come to think of it, he wasn't sure if the being he had spoken to, meant that the mainland was towards the west?  Or if the city itself was towards the west of the mainland?

Cloaky sighed, really not wanting to have to talk to any more players here.  It would just make this take even longer, as they asked inane questions about his species and whether he was Alliance or Horde or whatever.  So, he decided to go with his best guess.  He jumped into the air and quickly summoned an energy disc which would carry him across the water.

It was a long ride.  The sea seemed to stretch on and on forever.  But, eventually, he spotted a shore.  He sighed with relief.  He had gone the right way, after all.

Cloak's energy disk dissipated and he touched down on sand.  Trees made up a dingy-looking pine forest a short way inland, in dull earthy hues, dark greens and muted autumn colors.  The mainland, this part of it at least, looked wilder than the island, more rugged somehow.  Something about the stormy-grey sky, or the way the rivers feeding the ocean chopped the land into a series of jagged cliffs.  It was almost a gloomy place, but not in an evil-seeming way, just worn-down and broken.

As Cloaky walked across the beach towards the forest, he quickly spotted a path that ran parallel to the shore, north and south.  Other creatures, players no doubt, could be seen occasionally, trotting up and down the road.  They were a much more varied assortment than what he had seen on the island.  Some of those same alien-like creatures were here, too, of course.  But there were also humans, as well as beings that looked like humanoid wolves, and bluish-skinned elvish creatures with ears so long they almost looked comical.

Cloak decided to try talking to one of the elves.  "Excuse me, which way to Orgrimmar?"

The elf gave him a hostile look at the mention of the name.  Cloak sighed.  "Yeah, yeah, Horde, I know," he said quickly.  "I'm just looking for a friend."

"Go that way," the elf said reluctantly, pointing south.  "That'll get you to Ashenvale.  Turn west, cross the Northern Barrens, and on the other side of that is Durotar.  North end of Durotar is Orgrimmar."

"Thanks," Cloak said, but the elf had already impatiently hurried away.  The Realm Walker shook his head as he began the trek south, wondering idly as he went how he would know when he got to Ashenvale.  He glanced around for anything that might be a landmark, but he realized he didn't even know what to look for.  Behind him he saw a dusty tornado that swirled in one place, never moving, and to his right was an ugly scar of scorched earth, remnants of trees still burning.  But the forest around him stayed more or less the same, and it continued on the other side of the burned area, just as before.

He continued to pass other users, some of which brushed impatiently past him, but there were others who stopped and stared and wondered what he was and how he was neither Alliance nor Horde.  Some threatened to report the glitch, claiming that he was abusing it somehow.  Cloak ignored them, and after a while even the most bothersome players would leave him alone.

But soon, Cloak no longer had to wonder how he would know when he got to Ashenvale.  He could see it now.  And it was beautiful.

Offline theyoungphoenix

• still abby
  • Xtreme Member
    • My Book
« Reply #202 on: July 11, 2013, 05:08:35 PM »
I would be just as confused as Cloaky.
My Tumblr
Best Newcomer 2013

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #203 on: July 11, 2013, 08:25:07 PM »
Even in my mind-numbed half sleepy state the World of Warcraft universe sounds amazing.

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #204 on: July 11, 2013, 10:57:25 PM »
Yeah, the world is pretty breathtaking.  After I got started, I mostly kept playing for the settings rather than the actual gameplay, lol.

Chapter Sixty

The difference between Ashenvale, and the region where he was now, was the difference between night and day.  Darkshore, that was that first region's name.  Or at least that was the name it was called by one of the users he'd passed by earlier.

Where Darkshore was a sparse forest overcast by stormy skies and darkened by somber hues of green, Ashenvale was a thick and secretive grove that seemed to reveal every hue of the rainbow within its deep blues and purples and greens.  But even though the colors were so vibrant, the place felt ancient.  As though the towering trees had spent long lives taking in the magic of the world around them, to eventually become the magnificent pillars that supported the thick turquoise canopy that hid this place from the world.

Cloak had to pause for a moment, and just look around in awe at the place.  It reminded him of the island, at least a little.  It was that same feeling of solemn tranquility.  But oh, so much more so.

It was harder to see the sun here, making it harder to know which direction he was going.  But he still had a good feeling which way was west, and so when the path branched, he took the path that led to his left.

There seemed to be fewer players here, although there was still a good variety of species.  But, among the players he did see, the elves now seemed to overwhelm the numbers of the humans, wolves, and alien creatures.  Which made sense to Cloak, once he thought about it.  This forest, somehow it just felt, elven.

As Cloaky walked, he still kept getting the imploring inquiries from the players, asking how he had managed to gain access to such a strange new species.  But, though still annoying, he was getting better and better at tuning them out.  Just a minor irritation, at this point.  Well, other than the particularly stubborn players that would actually turn and follow him down the path until they finally got bored of his silence and went their own way.

There were fewer landmarks to see in Ashenvale.  Or perhaps it was just that it was harder to see anything through the trees.  The path took Cloaky through the middle of the first town he'd seen since arriving here in the World of Warcraft, but it was an abandoned place, ornate wooden buildings home only to the few shopkeepers that were stationed there.  And as he passed through, he began to feel tremors under his feet, and quickly decided he didn't really want to stay long enough to find out why the town had been abandoned in the first place.

The only other thing of note he passed by, was a stand of trees to the left of the path, that seemed to be eternally burning.  But the fire never grew nor burned itself out.  Not unlike the burning stand of trees he'd seen in Darkshore, but so out of place in this lush forest that Cloak almost didn't want to look at it.  Even with a steep valley separating the path from the fire, Cloak doubled his speed, quickly putting the unnatural sight behind him.

After Cloak felt like he'd walked about a couple miles or so through Ashenvale, the lush forest began to thin out into a much more arid region, where yellowish grassland filled the wide gaps between scattered pine trees.  There were guards stationed at the dividing line between the elven forest and the much sparser forest on the other side, and these guards, Cloak decided, must belong to the Horde.  They were uglier species than what he'd seen of the Alliance, green-skinned muscular brutes with long fangs pointing upward, alongside bull-like humanoid creatures that reminded Cloak of minotaurs.

The real tip-off to the guards' faction, though, had been the ongoing fight between these creatures and a group of the elves Cloak had seen before.  The way the two sides fought, neither gaining ground nor losing it, Cloak knew both sides had to be NPCs.  Neither paid Cloak any mind.

Nevertheless, Cloak skirted past them, careful not to attract their attention.  What had the elf called the place beyond Ashenvale?  The Northern Barrens?  Well, that was fitting, as the place seemed rather, indeed, barren.  In particularly stark contrast to the beautiful glade just on the other side of the border.

He soon left the last few meager trees of that arid battle-ridden woodland behind, and was walking through what could easily have been an African savannah, an endless expanse of golden grassland, punctuated only by the occasional tree or bush.  The scene was complete with lions, leopards, and . . . velociraptors?

He gave the dinosaurs a wide berth.  He doubted such creatures would be friendly, in a place like this.

He was quite certain he was in Horde territory now.  There were none of the wolves, aliens, or even humans here.  Instead, following the dusty dirt path that wound through the savannah, there were orcs and minotaurs like the ones he'd seen before, as well as gnarled but colorful tusked creatures who spoke, oddly enough, in Jamaican accents.  There were still elves, though, but it didn't take long for Cloak to notice that they were very different from the Alliance elves.  These elves had lighter skin, and facial features that made them seem harsh and arrogant.

Cloak rather quickly became bored of the yellow grassland, so ordinary after the ancient forest, and summoned an energy disc to speed his transit through this place.  Several nearby players turned to look, and several ran after him, desperate to know what 'spell' he was using, and what class he had taken that even had access to such a spell.  Fortunately, though, he easily outran them.

But then he suddenly remembered that he was actually looking for an orc player, and he slowed down a little, scanning the path for an orc that would fit the description of Bloodbane.  The orc he was looking for, had a braided warrior's ponytail running down his back, stoic eyes underneath neanderthal eyebrows, but no facial hair.  Those were the main things that the RAFians who had seen him remembered about him.  Well, the main things that would differentiate him from other orcs, anyway.  The green skin, medieval armor, and the upward-pointing canine teeth?  Not really helpful here.

Cloaky looked around, veering towards the small tribal-looking village where he could see several players congregating.  But he only saw one orc with a braided ponytail.  "Bloodbane?" he called out, but the orc didn't respond.

"You can only fight Orbaz Bloodbane if you play as a Death Knight, mon," a random player, one of the colorful Jamaican-sounding creatures, called out.  Cloak ignored him and quickly pressed on.

Still following the setting sun westward, as twilight colors began to play across the golden grass, Cloak eventually came upon a marsh-like area, which his hovering energy disk allowed him to easily cross.  On the other side of the delta, the grassland gave way to true desert, parched cracked earth and reddish rock.

Durotar, Cloak thought as he pressed forward, hoping to reach the city before night fell.  It wasn't far now.  He could see something that looked like a huge and imposing fortress, to the northwest.  That had to be it.

The energy disk threw a cloud of dust in its wake as Cloaky raced through the desert, but at least now the falling darkness helped to hide him from nosy players.  It seemed, whoever had told him that this was the place to find orcs, hadn't been kidding.  Orcs were the only race he saw now.  Every now and then he would spot one that looked like it might be Bloodbane.  But, it never was.

Cloak dispelled the energy field that had carried him, as he approached the massive gates of the city.  If 'city' was even the right word.  The place felt more like a war machine.

He passed the guards, who eyed him suspiciously as he walked by.  A few of the creatures he passed looked ready to attack, but it was like some force was holding them at bay.  Like the game itself wasn't allowing them to target Cloaky.  He stood at the ready, prepared to defend himself if need be, but it soon became apparent that there was no need, and he relaxed, as his would-be attackers eventually gave up and turned away.

As he entered the city, the feeling of being inside a giant war machine intensified.  Everything was black and red metal, adorned with spikes and sharp white bones like the ribs of a dragon.  The place felt tribal and savage.  A city built for war.  Cloak shivered with distaste.

Gathered within the walls of the city, crowding the pathways, were more users than Cloaky had yet seen in one place.  The air was filled with the rumble of the crowd, all those voices blurring together into a constant background noise.  All of them species of the Horde, minotaurs and orcs and those colorful tusked creatures and the fierce-looking elves and a few dingy little creatures that seemed to be some kind of goblins.  And, was that a panda?  Yes, that was definitely a humanoid panda that had just gone by.  Riding an oversized turtle.  Cloaky shook his head, incredulous.

Feeling a little foolish, Cloaky nevertheless pushed his way into the midst of the throng and called out, "Bloodbane!" as loudly as he could.  No response.  Again and again he called out, only to be shushed by players who seemed annoyed that he was yelling for no good reason.

"Bloodbane?" someone finally said, and Cloak turned to see one of the hobbit-sized goblin-like creatures.  "Orc, right?  I know the guy.  We used to go on raids together all the time.  You're just in time, too, I was messaging him a couple minutes ago.  He just got online"

"Excellent!" Cloaky said as he sighed with relief, grateful to have finally gotten a lucky break.  "Message him again.  Tell him that a RAFian is looking for him."
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 11:02:08 PM by DinosaurNothlit »

Offline theyoungphoenix

• still abby
  • Xtreme Member
    • My Book
« Reply #205 on: July 11, 2013, 11:48:14 PM »
Ya! Cloaky found him!
My Tumblr
Best Newcomer 2013

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #206 on: July 12, 2013, 06:55:17 AM »
Sixty chapters already. Wonder if you'll hit eighty for the finish?

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #207 on: July 13, 2013, 07:04:33 PM »
Probably not, Saffa.  I don't forsee more than about five or six more chapters (then again, when I first started writing, I never thought I'd get past twenty . . . )

Chapter Sixty-one

Bloodbane had picked an out-of-the way spot on Durotar's western coast to arrange a meeting with Cloak.  Cloak was grateful to get out of the city, and the isolation from the throng of other players was a nice relief as well.  Night had fallen in earnest, and the moonlight glinted off the water of the nearby ocean as Cloak approached the rendezvous.

Three other figures were waiting there, in addition to the orc.  One was a haughty-looking elf, the second was one of the minotaur-like creatures, and the third was a panda.  They quickly introduced themselves as Shade, the elf, Kyris, the tauren, and Becky, the pandaren.  Unlike Bloodbane, the three of their true forms had not originally come from this site.  So they had simply picked new avatars for the meeting.

"We figured you might try to find me here," Bloodbane said.  His voice crackled slightly, like a recording.  "Sorry about the sound quality," he apologized.  "I'm using a microphone right now.  It's very difficult to type with these huge orc fingers."  He sounded frustrated, but then he took a breath and quickly calmed.  "I had to create a new account after my first one had been pulled into the real world, but I made sure the name and the way I looked were the same, so that I could be found by someone who knew where to look.  Tried to find you on your site, but we kept getting error messages that the site was down or something."

Shade suddenly spoke, interrupting just before Cloak had the chance to reply to Bloodbane.  "You need a way to destroy the facility in Switzerland, don't you?"

Cloak fell silent for a second, taken aback by the suddenness of the question.  "How did you know we were planning to do that?" he wondered sharply.

"We guessed," Shade commented with a satisfied nod.  "We knew that there are things on the internet that shouldn't escape.  It turned out some of the scientists knew it, too."

"Frederick?" Cloaky wondered, putting the pieces together.  "Richard said that he was the one scientist who didn't really believe in what they were doing."

Becky nodded.  "Right.  And so, he's been looking for a way to pull the plug on the whole project, too.  We've managed to keep in touch."

"He gave me this," Bloodbane added.

The orc pulled out of his pocket a device that clearly did not belong to his online persona.  It was almost funny, seeing an orc in medieval-looking clothing, holding that futuristic-looking trinket with its flashing red light.

"What is it?" Cloak asked.

"Codes to access the teleport device.  Turns out, that thing is so powerful, that if it's overloaded in just the right way, it'll take the whole facility down with it."

Well, there it was, handed to him on a silver platter, Cloak thought.  Both the things he was after, in the same neat little package.  A way to take control of the teleportation reversal machine, and a way to destroy the facility afterward.

Cloak looked suspiciously at the device.  It could not be that easy.

"There . . . is a catch," Bloodbane said hesitantly.  "If they see what's happening, they'll be able to shut it down from their end.  There's no way to make the process either secret or irreversible.  Security's gotten too tight, ever since you guys freed us.  Frederick tried to override the security protocols, but he didn't have any luck.  So, if they have warning of what's going to happen, there's a very good chance that it won't happen at all."

Cloak's features grew cold as he saw what Bloodbane was suggesting.  "But if there's no warning, then people will die in the explosion.  They won't have time to get out.  It will be a massacre."

Bloodbane's expression was as impassive as Cloaky's, although of course in his case that may have been because his face was only an avatar.  "I never said I liked it," he said, and then Cloaky could hear the note of sadness in his voice, through the static of his microphone.  "But think, on the other hand, the kind of destruction that will follow if anything from our world ever reaches theirs.  The death toll won't be just in the hundreds.  It'll be billions."

"No," Cloaky said in a harsh whisper.  "I won't do this."  He threw the self-destruct trigger to the ground, hard, hoping to break the thing so that this decision would no longer be his to make.  But it lay there undamaged, its insidious red light still flashing.

Kyris looked angry, and Shade seemed to echo her sentiment.  "It isn't just your decision, though, is it?" Kyris said harshly.  "Seems that this concerns all your buddies.  Or are you the president of that site of yours?"

Cloak bristled.  "No, I'm not Richard.  But this, this is monstrous.  No decent being, certainly no RAFian, would ever agree to do something like this."

Shade managed a crooked little half-smile.  "It would seem you've got nothing to lose, then.  If you're right and none of your friends would agree to this, then why not take them the codes?  Nothing at all will come of it, right?  If you're right.  And, well, if you're wrong, it's no longer on you, then, is it?  Not your fault you banked on your friends being decent and then it turned out they were ruthless."

Cloak narrowed his eyes.  He wasn't an idiot, he knew Shade was trying to trick him.  "But, if I'm right, I have nothing to lose from not taking the codes, either."

"Yes, you do have something to lose, actually," Becky said quietly.  "It can be used to free your friends from the internet, remember?  Don't you want that?  Wouldn't your friends want that?"

Cloak hesitated.  The device was still on the ground, where he had thrown it.  What would the RAFians do?  That was the real question.  Cloak knew that there were some RAFians who really could be that ruthless, ruthless enough to kill for the possibility to save.  But, would a majority of them be willing to kill, even with the best of intentions?  Would Richard?  That, Cloak didn't know.

Nevertheless, he picked up the device, and sighed.  "I don't have to decide right now," he said, feeling some, but not much, of the burden slip away, when he realized that he could postpone the decision.  "I can't return to RAF until tomorrow at noon.  I've got at least tonight to think about this."

Becky took a step closer, wanting to comfort him, but Cloak shrank away from her, and she withdrew slightly, giving him his space.  Still, she commented, "I know it isn't a good decision.  Both options are terrible.  I'm sorry this fell to you."

"It had to fall to someone, and so it might as well be me," Cloak said with a sad sort of smile.  He sighed.  "So.  Where's a good place to stay the night, around here?"

Offline theyoungphoenix

• still abby
  • Xtreme Member
    • My Book
« Reply #208 on: July 13, 2013, 07:49:18 PM »
Well, not being able to notify them to save lives without staying stuck in the internet, that's a bit of a problem...
My Tumblr
Best Newcomer 2013

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #209 on: July 13, 2013, 09:59:47 PM »
Hmm, it seems I didn't explain the conundrum very well.  It's not that notifying the scientists will leave them stuck in the internet, it's just that it will make it impossible to destroy the facility.  Oh, well, that's gonna be irrelevant soon anyhow.

Cloaky must be smarter than me.  Even as a character in my story, he managed to think of something I'd missed.  :P

Chapter Sixty-two

The four outerworlders went with Cloak to the nearest inn, a modest little place in a small town in the desert.  Actually, technically, the nearest inn would have been in the city of Orgrimmar.  But Cloak had very quickly nixed that idea, not at all keen on going back into the city.

After they got to the inn, though, the five of them quickly forgot about any ideas of sleep.  They stayed up late that night, talking until the early hours, about nothing in particular.  None of them really wanted to talk about the biggest thing that was on their minds, of course.  But it was still nice to have company.  Just to talk, and to fill the air.

The four outerworlders hadn't really been able to talk to anybody else since their escape from the facility.  They'd been on the run, hiding wherever they could find a secluded place to crash.  Bloodbane was too distinctive, too conspicuous, to ever be able to go out in the open.  And the others hadn't wanted to abandon him, not even if it meant that the rest of them would be able to live normal lives.  No, they couldn't leave a friend behind.  Not after everything they'd been through together.

Cloak had to admit, he admired their solidarity.  It reminded him, at least a little, of RAF.  Like these four were some kind of mini-RAF, despite the fact that each of them had come from different websites.

Cloak already knew that Bloodbane was from World of Warcraft.  But, somewhere along the conversation, he wondered aloud where the others were from.

"Facebook," Becky answered simply, making a face.  "Pretty boring, I know."

"I'm a Death Eater," Shade said with a devious grin.  "Harry Potter roleplay site.  I'd show you my Dark Mark, but of course, this isn't my real body."

"I'm from a steampunk site," Kyris explained coolly.  "Ever heard of Forgotten Futures?  Okay, probably not.  In any case, I'm an airship technician."

"You guys already know where I'm from," Cloak commented.  "As for my species, I'm a Realm Walker.  A being from another dimension, who can travel between 'realms' at will."

"Sounds neat," Becky said.  She looked like she had another question on her mind, but she wasn't quite sure if it would be polite to ask.  Finally, she wondered, "What's with the cloak?"

"It shields, well, everyone else, from my natural energy," Cloak explained.  "Realm Walkers emit energy constantly.  If I took the cloak off . . . well let's just say there's a reason I almost never take the cloak off."

"Huh.  Didn't know the Animorphs books even had stuff like that," Shade said offhandedly.  "Realms or whatever."

"No, no," Cloak corrected.  "Realm Walkers aren't from Animorphs.  They're actually a race I created."

"But, hmm, I thought, your site . . . " Bloodbane began, sounding confused.  "Isn't it an Animorphs site?"

Cloak smiled.  "It is, but it's so much more than that.  Animorphs is what drew us together, that much is true.  But it isn't all that defines us.  Our RAFsonas, as we like to call them, are drawn from many sources.  We have Andalites and Yeerks, which are, indeed, from Animorphs.  But we also have seals and goombas and Time Lords and Goa'ulds.  You can be anything you want to be."

"Hmm," Kyris said, sounding mildly intrigued.  "Sounds kinda cool.  Random, but cool."

Cloaky laughed.  "Random but cool," he repeated.  "That pretty much sums up RAF in three words."

Bloodbane laughed, too, and soon the other three had joined in.  It was a knowing kind of laughter, like they were all laughing at an inside joke that nobody 'outside' could ever understand.

And, on some level, Cloak couldn't help but to marvel at how quickly these four seemed to understand what RAF was all about.  Yes, they could just as easily have been RAFians themselves, Cloak thought.

Well, but that made sense, didn't it?  They'd been pulled into the internet, too.  Same as the population of RAF had been.  Whatever mystical quality it was that made a RAFian a RAFian, they must have had some of that, too.

Bloodbane yawned.  Cloaky didn't need to sleep, but, as it turned out, apparently the other four did.  Cloak tilted his head to the side, and wondered why that was.

"Existing in the real world isn't the same as existing within the internet," Shade explained, even as he yawned.  "We're bound by real-world laws of physics and biology, out here.  I can still do some magic, but not quite like I was able to do as an innerworlder.  Only stuff that is at least theoretically possible.  Which is still, of course, quite a bit.  As they say, sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."  He added a flourish on the word 'magic' to emphasize his point.

"Hmm," Cloaky said, nodding.  He wondered if that information would come in handy, later, when RAFians began leaving the internet and returning to the real world.  Would morphing still work?  Maybe.  Come to think of it, probably so.  It was a good thing the books had explained the loophole around the law of conservation of mass, otherwise it would probably have ended up impossible.

"Anyway, we best be off," Becky said.  Moments later, her panda-like avatar vanished from sight.

"Durotar's a really low-level area," Bloodbane reassured Cloak, though Cloak didn't really find it necessary.  "Nothing that's gonna attack you in the night."  His character, too, blinked out.

The other two said goodnight and logged off as well, leaving Cloaky alone with his thoughts.

And his thoughts quickly turned back toward the device he now held.  No matter how hard he tried to turn his mind to other things, he kept circling back to that same unavoidable question.  What to do?

It would be risky to actually free anyone from the internet, even with access to the teleporter, he realized.  They would be sent directly to the facility in Switzerland, where they could easily be caught by the scientists.  Although, with enough people to send through, there was at least some chance they could overpower the . . .

Right then, it hit Cloaky like a bolt of lightning.  The answer.  Stunning and clear and beautiful.

They just had to send enough people through.  Perhaps they could send out a summons across the internet, and allow everyone to leave who wanted to leave.  Which, outside of RAF, would probably be nearly everyone affected by the teleport.

In the chaos, the massive throng of people would surely be able to force the scientists out of the facility.  The scientists wouldn't be able to deal with the sheer numbers.  Giving them no time or opportunity to deactivate the self-destruct.

Then it would just be a matter of giving everyone enough time to get clear of the blast.  Not too long, or the scientists could return, and shut off the countdown.  Too quick, and innocent people could be killed.

But there was a chance.  It could work.  Lives could be saved.  The threats of the internet could be locked away from the outside world forever.  And all without sacrificing anyone.

With that soothing thought filling his mind, Cloaky finally drifted off into an unnecessary, but still wonderful, sleep.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 10:14:05 PM by DinosaurNothlit »