Author Topic: Enter RAF  (Read 29520 times)

redtailedsaffa

Re: Enter RAF
« Reply #210 on: July 13, 2013, 10:51:01 PM »
*realizes how the loopholes at the beginning of First Flight are being filled, and grins like an idiot*

Thank you, Dino. I'm so glad I left that part to you. :)

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #211 on: July 13, 2013, 11:07:48 PM »
Hmm?  I don't even know which loopholes I'm filling at this point.  :XD:

But, just wait, Saffa.  Just wait.  ;)

So so tempted right now to go ahead and write the last chapter of the last book.

EDIT: Lol, the last chapter is now written, I couldn't stop myself.  ARGH I WISH I COULD POST IT.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 02:24:47 AM by DinosaurNothlit »

Offline Underseen

• One of RAFs resident ShapeShifters
  • Xtreme Member
  • Feisty Generation Fifteen
« Reply #212 on: July 14, 2013, 02:54:36 AM »
Something tells me you go on Forgotten Futures
RAF awards 2012: Best Newcomer... It feels good too

Well, Blue is my RAFcousin.
 Blaze is my RAFbrother and formidable rival.

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #213 on: July 15, 2013, 12:43:38 AM »
Actually, no, Underseen, I don't.  I'd had it in my head for a while that Kyris was based on something steampunk (if you look at her description when she first appears, she's wearing leather with brass riveting), but then I needed something more concrete so she could give an answer to Cloaky about where she came from.  I thought "The Forgotten Future" might be a good name for a steampunk-ish site, googled it to see if it was taken, and found out about Forgotten Futures which actually is a steampunk game.  That was just too good to be true, so I took it.  :XD:

Of course, now I've got something else to potentially get hooked on the next time I'm doing character research . . . :P

Oh, and hey!  This chapter contains another opportunity for AUDIENCE PARTICIPATION!  :D  There's gonna be three choices that are offered, and I'm gonna go ahead and note that the first one isn't gonna happen (if it were to go that way, my next book can't happen, so boo to that), but you guys are more than welcome to let me know your opinion on choices two or three!  Which is it gonna be?  *plays Jeopardy music*

Chapter Sixty-three

The next morning passed without incident.  Cloak was able to easily make it back to RAF by noon.  He simply swirled his cloak, making use of the strange 'glitch' that he had discovered long before, and he was back within the forum.

Those RAFians who saw him immediately rushed towards him, eager to hear the news he would bring.  His early return must be a good sign, most of them assumed.  He had only been gone a day.  If he hadn't found the answers they wanted, he would surely have been gone longer.  Right?

Richard suddenly appeared in the midst of the small crowd, having seen the growing commotion by the posts that had appeared.  Cloak handed over Bloodbane's device, and told Richard what he knew.  About the codes to take control of the teleport sequence, and about the way to overload the facility and destroy it.  Cloaky had never been much of a public speaker, of course.  But he was at least willing to share the news with the RAFians who had curiously gathered around him and Richard.

Cloak made sure to make mention of his own plan, as well.  Freeing as many people from the internet as possible, in hopes to distract the scientists long enough to get everyone out before the self-destruct.  A risky plan, as Goom quickly pointed out.  "We stand to lose many more lives if anything goes wrong," he said reasonably.  "Not to mention, far more and a greater percentage of innocent lives.  Seeing as most of the scientists are, well . . . less than so."

Cody nodded, in somber agreement.  "I still can't stop thinking about those prisoners that they'd been keeping at the facility.  Surely, anyone who would do something like that to those people . . . I don't want to say that those scientists deserve to die.  But, at the same time, some of them are pretty far removed from 'innocent.'"  He looked distraught, torn between wanting to hate the scientists on one hand, but not wanting them to die on the other.

"Not to mention, the kidnappings before that," Goom added bitterly, nodding back towards Cody.  "The RAFians they downloaded, to study.  If we hadn't sent our outerworlders to Switzerland, they would have kept them as prisoners in that blank white space.  Forever."

But Cloak stood firm, steadfastly refusing to consider a willing sacrifice of that many lives, and Goom quickly let the subject drop.  Goom didn't really want to be a killer, either, of course.  Not any more than Cloak or Cody did.  But he had needed to make sure that Cloak really knew what he was doing.  And that meant, looking at all of the possible consequences.  No matter how grim.

The news of Bloodbane's device and Cloaky's plan spread like wildfire through the forum, and it wasn't long before all of RAF knew the full details of the situation.  Estrid's mirror-wave ability may have, of course, helped to speed the information along.

The mods didn't even really need to call a meeting this time.  RAFians were already beginning to gather in the Media Board, before Richard had even thought of it.  Estrid still sent out a mirror-wave call, nonetheless, but it only served to catch the last few stragglers.

"I think you all know why we're here today," Richard began, once everyone had assembled.  "We have a decision before us.  Probably the most important decision we, as a forum, have ever faced.  A decision that someone's lives will rest upon.  A few lives, or a hundred, or a billion.  That's up to us."

"We probably shouldn't decide right now," Richard continued.  "A decision like this, should not be made in haste.  But, for now, you need to know the options.  As far as I can see, we have three choices."

He took a deep breath before going on.  "The first choice.  Access the teleport for no other purpose but to free some of us from the internet.  Don't activate the self-destruct at all.  I won't lie, this option carries the biggest risk.  The facility is a loose end.  If that technology ever falls into the wrong hands, and the evil beings that exist within the internet ever escape . . . we're not just talking about a disaster.  We're talking about an apocalypse on our hands.  Of course, there is a chance that will never come to pass.  That we can stay vigilant, and keep it from happening.  But it is a huge risk, and I'm not too keen on it."  He sighed, wishing he could put this option off the table completely, and not even allow anyone to consider it.  The risk was just too much.  But, this was his forum, his trusted chosen RAFians, and he was not some dictator.  He would trust them to come to the right choice.

"The second choice," he went on.  "Access the self-destruct and detonate it immediately, without warning.  We might be able to free a few people from the internet beforehand, according to this plan, but it wouldn't be many, or else their presence would alert the scientists to what we were doing.  Keep in mind that we would have to give them time to get clear of the blast, so it would have to be a small enough number that they can sneak out through the facility unnoticed.  Of course, this plan works best if we don't free anybody from the internet at all."  He hesitated.  Something about this particular plan put knots in his stomach.  The thought of knowingly killing, even a few to save many, it was not something that could be lightly brushed aside.  He swallowed, trying to get a grip on his doubts.  "I am forced to admit, though, this plan is probably the least risky one.  It carries an almost guaranteed sacrifice of at least a hundred people, but anyone outside the facility will be almost certainly safe.  While I understand that the scientists at that facility do not all have the cleanest of hands, we should assume that there will be at least a few innocent people in there.  People who were just in the wrong place at the wrong time, who will die, if we go through with this."  He added a pointed look in Goom's general direction.

"The third choice," Richard continued.  "Cloaky's plan.  Free a massive amount of people from the internet, from as many sites as we can.  Some of them will likely have powers of some kind, and even if that isn't many, the sheer numbers will help them overpower the scientists.  Overpower them long enough, at least, to clear the building and allow the self-destruct to go off before anyone can stop it.  But this plan carries a definite element of risk.  Not as much risk as doing nothing, but a whole lot more than detonating the facility without the extra people in the way.  We have to time the explosion just exactly right.  Give them too long, and the scientists can sort through the chaos and return to deactivate the self-destruct, putting us exactly where we would have been if we'd done nothing.  Which is, need I remind you, the very real possibility of an apocalypse," he emphasized.  "Or, if we destroy the facility too soon, not only will the scientists be caught in the blast, but there will be the people we freed from the internet, killed, too.  The same massive numbers we would have tried to use to our advantage, would then become our body count."

The crowd murmured, as various RAFians discussed the possibilities with one another.  "To be perfectly honest, I don't much like any of the three options.  So, if anybody can come up with something better, something foolproof, something where none of us have to get that blood on our hands . . . " he trailed off, but quickly found his thought again.  "We want to hear it.  The good thing is, at least there isn't any rush.  RAF's firewall will hold.  And, for now, we're reasonably sure that the teleport device isn't going anywhere.  It isn't completely safe in the Swiss facility, of course.  We should know."  There was a slight chuckle at that, as a few of the RAFians who had broken into the facility as outerworlders, laughingly attested to what Richard was saying.  "But it's about as safe as we can ask for.  In any case, it's good enough for now.  So, for the moment, think on it.  We will hold our vote tomorrow morning."

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #214 on: July 15, 2013, 01:18:26 AM »
Do we give our vote through PM or do we shout it out here?

Offline theyoungphoenix

• still abby
  • Xtreme Member
  • "I'm honestly a huge dork."
    • My Book
« Reply #215 on: July 15, 2013, 01:41:56 AM »
^ good question.
My Tumblr
Saffa is my shorm and RAFtwin. :D Lumy is my awesomeful RAFbrother. ;D
:raftrophy:
Best Newcomer 2013
Best RAFian Supervillan/Minion Duo 2013 (Saffa/Abby :D Morph Twins)
RAFian Artist of the Year 2016

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #216 on: July 15, 2013, 06:07:21 PM »
Whichever you prefer.  Consider it like this, story-wise: some RAFians are gonna discuss their options with other RAFians before the actual vote occurs, and some are gonna keep their opinions to themselves until the voting.  If you consider yourself the first sort, then post in the thread.  If you're the second sort, PM.

Offline theyoungphoenix

• still abby
  • Xtreme Member
    • My Book
« Reply #217 on: July 15, 2013, 06:34:45 PM »
I'm gonna say option three. It's risky, but if it works, totally worth it.
My Tumblr
Best Newcomer 2013

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #218 on: July 15, 2013, 09:28:09 PM »
I was going to say the same thing, but I fell asleep. :P Ah well. You have my vote now.

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #219 on: July 19, 2013, 02:19:50 PM »
Okay, well, I think I've gotten enough votes at this point to sense a pattern, so I'm going with it.  Also I don't want to wait much longer because I'm scared of losing my muse again.

Chapter Sixty-four

The RAFians gathered in the Media Board again the next morning, in preparation to tally the final vote.  Most of them arrived a little early, eager to know the outcome of the question that had been burning in their minds through the previous night.

"Option one," Richard quickly began, addressing the assembled crowd.  Not wanting to waste anyone's time.  "Do nothing."

Not a single hand rose.  Not one RAFian.  Richard had been right, it seemed.  No RAFian was willing to risk the fate of the world, not when other options existed to save it.

"Option two," Richard continued.  "Detonate the facility without warning."

A few hands rose this time, but it was clear that it was not a majority.  Asmo, Russell, and Rad were among those who raised their hands, Rad's eyes glowing yellow to signal that this was actually Ma'at who was casting this vote.  A few others, almost reluctantly, half-raised their hands, a sick look on their faces, knowing what it meant.  Wanting to take the option of lesser risk.  But also knowing that in doing so they would become . . . murderers.  A hundred people, written off as mere casualties.

Not many RAFians were willing to kill when there was still another option, either.  Not much more than they had been willing to risk the end of the world.

"Option three," Richard went on.  "Save as many as we can."

The response was more enthusiastic this time.  Just over half the hands in the room rose, obvious at a glance that the last option was the winner.  Several RAFians must have abstained from voting, because the votes for the second and third options clearly did not add up to the population of the auditorium.  But in the end it didn't matter.  The winning choice was still clear.

"Option three it is," Richard said, smiling a warm smile.  He was glad, although not terribly surprised, that RAF would pick the most hopeful option.  Hadn't that been the message of the books, after all?  Take whatever chances you're given, and save as many lives as you can?

"We'll split into teams," he said, getting right to the plan.  "We're gonna need as many people as we can possibly find, for this to work.  And that means hitting the biggest websites we know of."  He pointed at a row of chairs, sweeping his finger across the row.  "You all take Facebook."  He pointed up to the next row.  "And you, Twitter."  The RAFians assigned to Twitter groaned, but Richard didn't seem to notice.  "Youtube for you all, be sure to check the most popular videos, get everyone out of those theatres."  He went across the rows, listing off famous websites.  DeviantArt, World of Warcraft, Omegle, Failblog, Memebase, Wikipedia, 4chan.

"Oh, man," Blaze groaned as he was selected for the last one.  But Underseen gave him a little nudge, and they looked at each other and shrugged, glad at least to be on the same team.  They'd picked a good day to sit next to each other.

Dino, having been standing towards the back, ended up in a group with Saffa, AniDragon, Goose, Cody, and probably about three people Dino didn't recognize.  They'd been assigned to search Wikipedia.

Goom threw the switch to take down the firewall that blocked RAF off from the rest of the internet.  One by one RAFians seemed to blink out, as each group entered in their respective web addresses in their minds.

Dino and the rest of their 'team' appeared in a library.  Except that this library was enormous, with a maze of pathways leading to and from each room.  It was easy to glimpse the extent of this place's enormity, since so much of it was open.  Each room was connected by dozens of paths to each other room, like being inside a honeycomb or an Escher painting.  Rooms stacked on top of other rooms, with staircases leading up and down, pathways crisscrossing every which way.  A crazy maze of interconnectedness, a maze that led everywhere.

Like any library, there were people there.  Most of the rooms were occupied, people with books out, reading.  Unlike most libraries, though, each reader was armed with a pencil, and several of them were erasing and rewriting the books even as they read.

Dino looked down at her arms, taking a moment to take in the transition from dinosaur to human.  It was easy to forget that would happen, and it seemed to get stranger every time.

Quickly remembering why they were there in the first place, Cody called out, "HEY!"

Several people wrinkled their foreheads, but didn't look up from their books.  They'd just seen the word "HEY" suddenly appear in the midst of their articles.  Odd, but probably just some idiot messing around, nothing to be concerned over.

One person, though, turned to look.  "Hey," he said, seeing the RAFians.  "You really here?"

"Yes, we're really here," Saffa said.  "We're innerworlders, like you."

"Come with us, though, and you can leave the internet," Goose offered.

The kid shook his head.  "I don't know, man.  Is any of this, is it even real?  Half the time I think I'm just crazy."

"Crazy's come and gone," Dino pointed out gently.  "A while ago.  We're offering you the chance to go home."

"Yeah, okay," he said, seeming to gather his senses a little.  "Yeah okay.  I'm in."

"This might take a while," Saffa sighed wearily, already impatient.  She turned on her heel and strode off down one of the many corridors.  The others split up soon thereafter, following Saffa's example.  They'd cover more ground if they all went separate ways.

The RAFians who had gone to Facebook were, fortunately, having somewhat better luck than the Wikipedia group.  Because of the social nature of the site, several innerworlders had naturally gravitated towards Facebook, to be amongst their friends who had suffered the same fate.  Jess, Seal, Lumy, Marie and Bear quickly shepherded together a mass of people as they continued down the blank white corridors, looking for more.

They were almost like Jehovah's Witnesses, Bear thought.  Knocking on the doors that were people's profiles, asking if they wanted to be saved.  He laughed to himself at the thought.

Meanwhile, Tony was covering his ears against the sheer cacophony of sound that was Twitter.  He was on the team with Myitt, Steph, Faerie, and Demos.

"HEY!!" Faerie yelled over the din, commanding all the power she could put behind that one word.

Three, maybe four people were close enough to hear, and looked over.  But then they shrugged and went back to inanely gabbing about what they had eaten that day.

"Argh this is POINTLESS!" Myitt yelled, having to raise her voice to be heard.  "There's no way any innerworlders would still be hanging around here!"

"You said you want a round of BEER?" Steph shouted back.  "This really isn't the time!"

"We need to go somewhere else!" Myitt cried.  "I'm thinking one of those cooking sites would be a better place to look!  Recipes.com!"

They quickly switched over to the much quieter food site, and breathed a sigh of relief before getting back to the search.

Meanwhile, Blue, Parker, Cloaky, Ouroboros and Gaz were in Youtube, going theatre to theatre, rounding up who they could find.  They were having better luck than most of the teams, although not quite as much as the Facebook group.  There were only a few innerworlders in any given theatre, so it was slow going, visiting one viewing room after another after another.  But, after a while, they had a fairly sizeable crowd following them.

"If I have to listen to one more 'goat that sounds like a human,'" Cloaky muttered to himself.  "I think I might go crazy."  Nonetheless, he quickly strode away to the next theatre.

"YAAH!" Estelore yelled as the room they were in suddenly started spinning again.  They were expecting the motion by now, of course, but it was still jarring as anything.

Omegle, as it turned out, was like some kind of ridiculous carnival ride, on an utterly massive scale.  Thousands upon thousands of closed rooms, connected to one another by a psychotic clockwork system of gears, able to rotate in any direction.  The whole place was set up so each room would face another room at any given time, allowing the two occupants to speak to one another.  But every time someone would pull the lever in their room, that room would rotate, spinning around to face a different room.

Estelore, Noelle, Azguard, Rad, and Aquilai had gotten stuck searching here.  Which basically consisted of asking, "Innerworlder?" to each and every room they spun to.  Most people had no idea what they were talking about, and when that happened the RAFian would immediately spin away again to the next room.  But there was at least a sizeable population of innerworlders here, it seemed.  This was a good place to meet other people, after all, and many innerworlders craved that human contact.

But the setup of the site didn't really allow them to shepherd groups of people, like most of the other teams were doing.  So the RAFians simply repeated RAF's address, over and over and over, to every innerworlder they met.  It was an annoying and arduous task.

After several more hours of searching, as the morning turned into afternoon, almost all of the teams had decided that they'd gathered enough people.  A couple of teams had even realized they might as well include a few outerworlders in their searches, as well.  After all, the outerworlders, with their empty avatars that would be brought into the real world, could stay behind while the facility detonated, with no risk to their own safety.  That ability could potentially come in handy.

They all assembled in RAF, groups of people appearing as each team decided they had searched enough.  Before long, the non-RAFians outnumbered the RAFians on the forum, by a factor of several dozen to one.  They milled about anxiously, waiting to find out how they were supposed to be able to go home.

Richard was waiting for the last couple of search teams to trickle in, before he began.

"Never, ever going back there again!" Underseen said, making a face, the moment he appeared.  He, Blaze, Squall and Ko Ko were leading a gaggle of jeering idiots who seemed to have no idea the seriousness of the situation.

And that was it, the last of the search teams.  Richard cleared his throat, but it didn't do much good.  Everybody kept right on talking.

"AHEM!" he tried again, and a few people quieted to listen.  Good enough.  "Listen up, people, because your adventure isn't quite over just yet."

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #220 on: July 19, 2013, 02:48:18 PM »
I was forced to stay up for a chick flick sesh.

Then it finally ended and I found this waiting for me.

Thank you, Dino. You just saved my life.

Offline theyoungphoenix

• still abby
  • Xtreme Member
    • My Book
« Reply #221 on: July 19, 2013, 04:44:44 PM »
Wow. How many more chapters left??
My Tumblr
Best Newcomer 2013

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #222 on: July 19, 2013, 04:57:03 PM »
Lol, you're welcome, Saffa.

Not many more, I think, Abby.  Probably two or three, maybe four.

Chapter Sixty-five

Once enough people had finally quieted enough to be able to hear him, Richard outlined the plan.

When he mentioned the fact that they could die, several of the crowd blinked out.  Running off back to their respective websites.  They had only kinda wanted to go home in the first place, and they certainly weren't willing to risk their lives for the chance.  Most of the others, seemed to only dully register what he had said.  As though they didn't quite believe it.  Or maybe they thought he was just exaggerating for effect.

If Richard noticed their seeming incomprehension of the situation, he didn't show it.  He had more important things to deal with.

He turned his attention to the RAFians.  "This will be the last chance," Richard said.  "Anyone who wishes to stay will be trapped forever.  And anyone who wishes to go back to the real world, can never again return to RAF."

The RAFians looked back and forth at their fellow denizens of RAF.  Each one tried to imagine a world without Andalites and Time Lords, talking seals and goombas, dinosaurs and sentient suns.  A world where the most important thing in their lives might be the next report card, or perhaps the next paycheck.  That world . . . now seemed foreign and strange.

With a slight jolt of surprise, each RAFian suddenly realized an odd truth.  They did not want to go back to that world.  Not really.  Within each one of them, there was nothing more than only the slightest, buried inkling of desire for a normal life.  And, although it seemed strange to realize it, there was no wistful longing that could ever be twisted into regret.  No, there would be no regret for that old life.

They stood resolute.  They knew, there was nothing about their old world that would be missed.

Their friends?  They had no friends closer than this.  Their families?  They were one another's family, now.

That was the difference, that was the reason why they were all here.  That was the "RAF Anomaly."

Richard nodded, as though he'd almost expected such a unanimous reaction.  He could hardly say he was surprised by it.

"Very well, then," he said, turning his attention back to the droves of non-RAFians.  "As for you, we are going to send you to Switzerland, where there exists a technology that can reverse the teleport that sent you into the internet in the first place.  You will need to get out as quickly as you can, because we will have to detonate the facility soon afterward."

A few more people blinked out.  But the crowd still easily numbered in the thousands.

"And, here's the fun part," Richard said, with a slight smile twisting his lips.  "We're going to need you all to cause as much chaos and confusion as you can on your way out.  The longer you can delay and distract the scientists who work at the place, the longer we can postpone the self-destruct.  Ultimately, our goal is to get everyone out alive.  You can help us do that.  Just remember.  Chaos and confusion, delay and distract."  Keep it simple, he thought to himself as he looked out across their unwitting expressions.  Give them four words to remember.  A simple message, for a simple crowd.

"Chaos, confusion, delay, distract," he repeated, and he could see that he was getting through to at least some of them.  Maybe even most of them.  They were smiling about something, anyway.

Richard nodded to Goom, who was holding a modified version of the red-lit device given to Cloaky by Bloodbane.  The device was encased now in a mesh of machinery that looked a little like a remote control, with two prominent buttons.  One green, and one red.

Goom pressed the green button.  The assembled crowd didn't blink out all at once.  Instead, the disappearances rippled through the massive throng, like a slow-motion wave, as they were each pulled from the internet and back into the real world.

Goom immediately ran over to a nearby readout, like a display of television sets, probably twenty or thirty different screens.  He had been handing out something like cameras among a few members of the assembled crowd, while Richard had been speaking.  So that he could now see a hodge-podge of haphazard videos of the inside of the facility.

The scene was complete and utter chaos, that much was clear.  The sudden mass of people were now pouring out through the teleporting chamber, darting every which way down the maze of corridors.  Nothing could be heard over the frantic din of yelling and screaming.  They were a panicked herd of lunatics, like a break-out from a mental ward.

Every now and then a glimpse of a white coat, a scientist, could be seen amongst the throng, swept along like a helpless leaf in a whitewater river.

Goom smiled, despite himself.  Several other RAFians, having wandered over to investigate the screens, were grinning, too.  Everything seemed to be going according to plan.  Nobody could have asked for anything better.

One of the cameras showed mostly feet, as viewed from the ground up.  The camera had obviously been dropped by whoever had been tasked with carrying it.  After a while, the upward-angled view of the stampede seemed to thin out, as most of the crowd passed over, beyond what the device could see.  Every now and then a small group of stragglers would run by, but before long, even those were out of the area, and the camera saw no movement at all.

But then, something appeared within that blank field of view, that made Goom's heart sink down into his stomach.  A single scientist, walking resolutely in precisely the opposite direction of the fleeing crowd.  He very obviously knew where he was going.  And it was all too easy to guess where that was.

He looked down, and the last thing the camera saw was a massive-looking foot coming down to crush it.  After that, nothing but static from that screen.

None of the escaped innerworlders were anywhere near him.  Certainly not close enough to stop him from shutting down the teleporter, which had to be his goal.  Everyone else had fled, more concerned about their own safety than the role they had been supposed to play.  Even the outerworlders had been caught up in the sheer exhilaration of the chase, pulled along with everyone else, as they had swarmed like idiots for the exits.

"No, NO!" Goom shouted, suddenly wishing that he'd been handing out communicators as well as cameras.  "Go back!  Somebody STOP HIM!"  His voice was almost a sob, as he realized what would happen.  What had to happen.  The only choice left.

"Trigger the self-destruct!" Asmo yelled suddenly, gripping Goom by the shoulder.  "DO IT NOW!"

"But-" Goom began, hesitating.

"We will never get another chance at this," Asmo snapped coldly.  "It's either this, or we risk the end of the world.  The end of the world, Goom.  Trigger.  The self-destruct."

Still Goom hesitated.  Not wanting to admit the fatal mistake they had committed.  The mistake of holding onto hope, instead of making the cold rational choice that needed to be made.

Asmo, his expression an unreadable mask, snatched the remote away from Goom, and pressed the red button.

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #223 on: July 19, 2013, 09:08:46 PM »
Dun dun DUN!

*imagines the whole scene playing out like a Joss Whedon movie*

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #224 on: July 19, 2013, 09:18:15 PM »
I just got compared to Joss Whedon?  SWEET!  ;D

And on that note, I'm sorry to inflict the next two chapters upon you.  This story is wrapping up, and the next one is gonna be . . . dark.

Chapter Sixty-six

Things had gone from good to bad, so fast.  Far too fast for anyone to be able to understand, too fast for their fear-frozen minds to process it.

Everything had been going according to plan.  And suddenly, in the space of a blink of an eye, everything had gone terribly wrong.

Only three cameras still showed anything other than static.  One was lying on the ground, showing an expanse of asphalt, a human hand just barely within the field of view.  The hand moved weakly at first, but then the grasping fingers went still.  Morbidly still.  A few moments later, a thin trail of blood could be seen weaving and creeping across the black pebbly street surface.

Both of the other two cameras were shaking, hard.  Held in unsteady, terrified hands.  One showed a grassy hill, almost peaceful, despite the trembling view.  But then the camera swiveled around to show a mushroom-like cloud, a grey smoky fireball, far off in the distance.

The other camera was giving glimpses of a more urban scene.  Streets and office-like buildings, smoke and debris swirling on the blast-furnace wind through the gaps between skyscrapers.  This was a scene that was closer to the terrible devastation.

Too close.  Much too close.

The second of the two still-moving viewpoints panned across a scene of utter destruction.  Flames consumed the wreckage and debris, black smoke hiding the scattered blocks of concrete that were all that was now left of the facility.

The RAFians gasped, as the camera focused in on a victim who had almost escaped.  The girl lay in the parking lot, her own fallen camera next to her.  A shard of concrete, like a spear, was wedged in her side.  She lay in a growing pool of blood.

"Oh god, oh god, oh god," the voice on the other end, the voice of whoever was holding the camera, was saying.  "We did this.  We did this.  We did this."  Over and over, like a broken record.  A broken person.

The RAFians, one by one, turned numbly away from the screens.  They couldn't watch this.  No.  It was far too much, too awful.  A few RAFians started running in the other direction, wanting to put as much distance between them and these macabre images as they possibly could.

It was terrible disaster.  But so much worse than just a disaster.  This awful tragedy, this was a disaster of their own making.

How many had survived that horrible blast?  How many . . . hadn't?

Goom was glad, in some twisted way, that it had been Asmo, not him, who had pressed that button.  Who had taken that awful decision off his shoulders.  He could blame Asmo for it all.  He could curse his cold ruthlessness.

They all could.  The RAFians could each tell themselves, that they had done the right thing.  That it wasn't their fault, not their fault it had all gone terribly wrong.

Lies.  All of it, lies.

"This must be how Jake felt," Terenia whispered to herself.  But Myitt overheard, and nodded.  "Trying so hard to do the right thing, and it all just . . . falls apart."  She bit her lip, trying to hold back the tears.

Several RAFians were hugging one another, trying helplessly to console their sobbing and weeping friends.  Others couldn't even find strength to cry, their expressions cold, their bodies numb.

They could all feel the distance growing between them, as they split off into their own little islands, desperate to hide their awful despair from one another.  Feeling shamefully weak, for even what little they showed of the overwhelming turmoil inside themselves.  And yet, feeling even weaker, for not being able to feel anything at all.

Why had they done this?  To save the world?  The world was not worth this much.  They should have just let it end.

More than one group of RAFians headed for the GESB.  If there was ever a time for drinking, this was it.  A few of them were underage, but nobody bothered to try and stop them.

Others, those who had managed to cling to some vestige of level-headedness, blinked out of RAF, in search of news websites.

Surely, the outside world would now know the truth.  The terrible truth of what was really happening inside the internet.  They had to.  There was no way to still turn a cold shoulder on this.  Not when so many had died because of it.

It took a while, before there was even anything at all.  Long minutes that ticked by like hours, before the news hit the first of the reporting websites.

It was impossible to know the death count, that was the first thing they said, as they showed footage of the blast zone from a helicopter.  The blast had been too total, and it had utterly obliterated any trace of life at its epicenter.

But there were survivors.  Almost a hundred so far, and more were being found minute to minute.  Footage of a young boy and a scientist in a tattered white coat, being pulled out of the wreckage at the very edge of the blast zone.

Then, the news shifted focus to the survivors themselves.  The reporter, almost casually, noted that several of the survivors were having the same 'delusion.'  A bizarre delusion, that they had been trapped within the internet.  "We don't want to make light of what they've been through," the reporter added.  "But delirium like this, is to be expected in the wake of such intense trauma."

Weathel slammed his fist down on the desk, the sudden sound echoing off the walls of the viewing area where the story was playing.  The room was itself designed like a news room, but surrounded with screens that played the reports.

"They cannot be serious!" he raged.  "They can't just, discount this, as some kind of idiotic mass delirium!  What do they think it is, coincidence?!"  He gasped for air, barely able to speak, incredulous that anyone would dare to make a mockery of the situation like this.  That anyone would dare, to discount the sacrifice those people had made, just to get home.

"They don't know," Aquilai replied sadly.  Not defending the newscaster, only stating what he simply knew to be true.  "How could they know?  Even now?  It's always so much easier just to believe in what is solid and factual and easy to explain.  Especially at a time like this.  People are scared.  The last thing they want is anything else, to be scared of."  He was silent for a moment, but he didn't like that empty void that his silence had left behind, so he went on.

"And then, when this is over, they'll sweep it under the rug and forget.  It'll be just another disaster, nothing to worry about, just a weird little piece of history.  Anybody who says otherwise, anybody who says anything about teleportation, will be treated like some conspiracy nut, some crazy person, with nothing but wild and ridiculous theories.  Stupid nonsensical theories about what ought to be a perfectly reasonable and explainable situation."  His voice was breaking towards the end of his rant, as he realized the truth to what he was saying.

Nobody would ever know the truth.  Nobody, except those poor survivors, who would be labeled as crazy, as having broken down from trauma, if they ever said out loud what they knew to be true.

Aquilai sighed, staring blankly down at the floor as he ran a hand through his hair.  It was probably easier just to be angry, like Weathel, than to try to make excuses for these people, to try to find reason where there was none.  But he felt emotionally exhausted.  His mental weariness was so intense that it manifested as a physical ache.  He couldn't even bring himself to be angry.  People were pathetic and stupid and that's the way it would always be and what was the point of fighting it?

Right when he thought he couldn't care about anything, Aquilai's waning interest briefly flickered back to life, caught by a British accent coming through the screens.  It sounded almost familiar.  Like somebody he might know.

"There was fire everywhere.  It was awful," the voice moaned.  Aquilai glanced up just in time to catch a glimpse of a blond and slightly nerdy-looking kid, and the name Lewis Miller at the bottom of the screen.  But by then the interviewer had already switched over to another survivor, and Aquilai looked away again.  The name and face hadn't meant anything, it was nobody he knew.

"I need a drink," Weathel said wearily.  Like Aquilai, he was tired, just utterly tired, of caring.  About any of it.  "You look like you could use one, too.  GESB?"

"Yeah, okay," Aquilai said slowly.  "I'll meet you there."

If this was what saving the day felt like, Aquilai thought . . . then maybe he didn't want to be there the next time it needed saving.