Author Topic: Most Hated Moments in Canon (Why, KA, Why?!)  (Read 5081 times)

Offline Darth Zakryn

• Banned
Most Hated Moments in Canon (Why, KA, Why?!)
« on: February 14, 2011, 01:51:12 PM »

Ok, discuss your least favorite moments in canon (not fan fiction) and why.

Looking back, I guess I have very few, because I like maybe 95 percent of all of the Animorphs books I've ever read, except maybe a few of the ghostwritten ones. But the one I liked the least? #14. The Unknown. No offense to anyone. Sure, it had a few good parts and a lot of nice humor, but we have Cassie's parents acting like jerks, some really badly written moments, some distasteful bits of humor, and the theme is too light for an Animorphs book. Of course, that's only my admittedly less than humble opinion.

Anyway, discuss!

Offline Unknown User

• RAF's Official Ellimist Expert
  • Xtreme Member
  • ^-^
Re: Most Hated Moments in Canon (Why, KA, Why?!)
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 05:07:02 PM »
I dislike the book with the helmacrons, but not for the usual reason of the helmacrons being annoying or the story is ridiculous. That particular book has cassie as the main character (I don't hate cassie like 99% of RAFians do) and the way it is written is so incredibly out of character for her.
Meh.

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
  • RAF's Official Unofficial Canadian Ambassador
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 07:54:33 PM »
     David's return.
Tony's pet Goose.
Unknown User is my shorm.
:raftrophy:
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)
The picture is rather accurate

Offline Darth Zakryn

• Banned
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 09:05:54 PM »

Ok. Why?

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 09:21:16 PM »
     This is just my opinion on the book, and I've ranted about it a lot on this forum. But I didn't like the way he was brought back. David was a huge problem for the Animorphs and nearly killed them all. You'd think that he'd be brought back the same way. But all we really got was David screwing around with Rachel while Crayak screwed around with them both.

I guess you can see this book as a test for Rachel's psyche. And I like how David was used to prove the point. But I think he should have been brought back with morphing powers at the very least. Instead, all we got was a whiny little rat...Which I guess is what David is when you get right to it...But still.
Tony's pet Goose.
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)

Offline weathervane

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 01:12:50 AM »
The Separation. A book that becomes even more baffling when you realize that it wasn't ghostwritten. As in, Applegate actually wanted to personally write that book.

It's so cartoonish it's horrid.

NateSean

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 10:09:54 AM »
Pretty much every scene where Marco kept ragging on Ax about the minutes thing. It's like, leave the guy alone all ready. His brother is dead, his family is a galaxy away and he has no way of connecting with them. He lives in the woods scared witless that some alien animal will attack him - going out of his way not to harm the cougar that attacked him because he was thinking of Cassie, his friend's, reaction by the way, which actually makes Ax pretty damn thoughtful - and you want to keep having semantics arguments with him?

And you could easily say that Marco was just joking around, but come on. There were moments in the book when Marco is clearly visibily annoyed with Ax referring to the time on Earth as "Your minutes". You're not a hemmoroid, so get off of Ax's furry blue behind all ready.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 10:28:23 AM »
The minutes thing is a running gag. Just not a very funny one. Marco does seem to take Ax's predicament rather lightly, given he's so far away from his people.

I guess one of my most hated moments happened at the end of book 50, when Cassie made a choice she really didn't have to. There's also 31 where both Jake and Tom's Yeerk were holding the Idiot Ball, so to speak.

Did Tom's Yeerk really not have enough connections that he couldn't ask some controllers to follow them in a van with a small portable Kandrona machine? Have him leave the cabin in the night, and feed while the others hold Tom. Did the Yeerks really have no plan in case one of their own needed to travel?

And for Jake. Would it have really been hard to starve Tom's Yeerk out and have him fake a suicide? Switch his body with a Chee, bury it, then have the Chee come out and refill the grave? No one is the wiser. The Yeerks certainly wouldn't be suspicious if one of their own had to go away for four days, died, and its host committed suicide instead of returning to the city.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Josh (J)

• The Dude
  • God
  • Back from the dead.
    • Josh the Normal
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 10:30:28 AM »
Anything with the Helmacrons, seriously. They're so annoying. Even more than I am. :P

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Most Ladylike-Robot-superhero-weak ankled Chippendale-loose cannon teleporter-1/64 ninja-not British comedian-also not Steph-Kit in spirit-Sharing member for life-cuddlestorm-bricklayer-necromancer-Hot Dog Day enthusiast!
  • Social Staff
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 08:01:57 PM »
I've got quite a few, but I'm going to restrain myself for the moment :P

The Animorphs' solution to Aftran; let her become a whale nothlit. Is that all they could come up with? Surely there must have been a better way. Seriously, how badass would it have been if Aftran had become an Animorph? We know that the Chee can produce Kandrona rays to keep a Yeerk alive within their own bodies, so... right, this is getting hypothetical and off topic...

Pretty much every scene where Marco kept ragging on Ax about the minutes thing. It's like, leave the guy alone all ready. His brother is dead, his family is a galaxy away and he has no way of connecting with them. He lives in the woods scared witless that some alien animal will attack him - going out of his way not to harm the cougar that attacked him because he was thinking of Cassie, his friend's, reaction by the way, which actually makes Ax pretty damn thoughtful - and you want to keep having semantics arguments with him?

And you could easily say that Marco was just joking around, but come on. There were moments in the book when Marco is clearly visibily annoyed with Ax referring to the time on Earth as "Your minutes". You're not a hemmoroid, so get off of Ax's furry blue behind all ready.

Sort of an extension of this, only more on Ax's end. He was with the Animorphs through almost the entire series. Aside from Elfangor, he may be the Andalite with the most experience of human culture.

So why the hell could he never stop playing with mouth sounds and freaking out at the sight of food? I mean, yes, I get that it was a characteristic running gag of his, but you'd think it'd start to get old after 30 books or so. I like to think of Ax as a decently sharp guy, but the fact that he never once seemed to get a handle on human speech, in spite of spending years hanging out with a group of teenagers and watching TV at his little scoop in the woods, makes it seem like the Animorphs got stuck with one of the stupidest or most oblivious members of the species.

Marie and Abby are my wonderful RAFsisters ^_^
Salem's Story

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 08:04:15 PM »
I've got quite a few, but I'm going to restrain myself for the moment :P

The Animorphs' solution to Aftran; let her become a whale nothlit. Is that all they could come up with? Surely there must have been a better way. Seriously, how badass would it have been if Aftran had become an Animorph? We know that the Chee can produce Kandrona rays to keep a Yeerk alive within their own bodies, so... right, this is getting hypothetical and off topic...

Sort of an extension of this, only more on Ax's end. He was with the Animorphs through almost the entire series. Aside from Elfangor, he may be the Andalite with the most experience of human culture.

So why the hell could he never stop playing with mouth sounds and freaking out at the sight of food? I mean, yes, I get that it was a characteristic running gag of his, but you'd think it'd start to get old after 30 books or so. I like to think of Ax as a decently sharp guy, but the fact that he never once seemed to get a handle on human speech, in spite of spending years hanging out with a group of teenagers and watching TV at his little scoop in the woods, makes it seem like the Animorphs got stuck with one of the stupidest or most oblivious members of the species.

Given how he often says "I wasn't paying attention in class" when Jake asks him about something, I wouldn't be surprised.
Tony's pet Goose.
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 08:34:29 PM »
He never stops playing with words because he enjoys playing with words. Yes it may be annoying to some, but I'm reasonably certain he's doing it on purpose. There are things he does in the beginning by accident, or just not knowing, but if he's still doing it three years later it's because he wants to. Three years after he landed, he could probably speak as normally as the others, but he just enjoys making mouth sounds, and he loves food.

I'm also reasonably certain that the chee could construct a Kandrona generator outside their bodies. Why not? It would have been useful for Aftran, and even prevent deaths when the Free Horks rescued their comrades. After the Peace Movement got going, the Chee could have even stolen parts to make a large generator for all of them. Why not? It bugs me that everyone seems to think one of the Chee would have to keep Aftran in their body for her to feed. I don't think that would be needed.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 08:35:58 PM »
     Could the chee steal?
Tony's pet Goose.
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)

Offline MoppingBear

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 10:59:54 AM »
     Could the chee steal?

THey dont seem to have a problem with kidnapping so why not?

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 11:15:15 AM »
Stealing doesn't directly cause physical harm, and sionce Erek did kidnap the Yeerk I'm assuming emotional harm is fine.

Ani-Master 2014!