Author Topic: Erek stuff  (Read 3585 times)

Offline Darth Zakryn

• Banned
Erek stuff
« on: January 24, 2011, 03:30:21 PM »
Ok, I have a question. Does anyone else LOVE Erek? I mean, Erek King is one of my all-time favorite Animorphs characters? Here's the first topic to discuss about him.

Does Erek feel remorse for killing all those Controllers? I mean sure, he felt sad because of what the memory did to him, and I know it is a war and killing had to be done, but two things will not scar his image for me. One: Did he kill them painlessly? Rachel says it was brutal, but did he make them suffer before he killed them? Did he do it fast? Snapping necks, severing spines, electrocuting people, etc? And Two: Does he feel remorse that he killed, not just for what it did to him personally?

NateSean

Re: Erek stuff
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 04:11:00 PM »
1: It's fair to say that he feels horrible for killing. Not to mention that he is truly unique among the Chee for having been the first of their kind to kill and now every other Chee is going to know him as that guy.

2 I don't think torture is Erek's MO. He's all ready seen his people dying slowly and painfully and he's witnessed humans committing horrible attrocities to one another. He knows how to kill efficiently and I do believe electrical shock would have been the quickest way to do it.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 04:15:04 PM »
I liked Erek too. There are a lot of ways he was useful to the Animorphs. Some of which weren't even exploited.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Nar Klawip

• Raf's Ever-Lovin' Blue-Eyed Howler
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 04:17:28 PM »
Erek is one of my all time favorite book characters ever.

Of course he felt remorse, if you count both the hosts and the yeerks that's almost a hundred people he butchered

Of course he killed them quickly and painlessly, I always assumed he must have had some sort of energy projection device like Iron man's repulsors, first because it took him about ten seconds to destroy around two dozen human controllers and two dozen hork bajir controllers, second it took him less than ten minutes to get from his house in the middle of the city to the pemalite ship 3 miles under the ocean, and third because Jake said it felt odd blackmailing a creature that could obliterate him down to his individual molecules.

[spoiler][/spoiler]
"When life gives you lemons you make lemonade. When a dying Andalite Prince gives you the morphing power? Well then you make miracles." ~Me

“Screams of a billion murdered stars give lie to the night's peace, while we cling desperately to the few fragile spinning stones we call worlds." ~Hasturi the Mad Perseid, Andromeda

“Well, remember what you said, because in a day or two, I'll have a witty and blistering retort! You'll be devastated THEN!” ~ Calvin, Calvin and Hobbes

Offline SuperBlue

• God
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 06:06:29 PM »
Erek waso ne of my favs too. I wish KA would have given us a full pic of a chee in their natural form, instead of just their feet. Anybody else find it hard to believe Erek just completely stayed out of touch with the Anis since the war ended? I know Cassie said that would probably be the last time they'd see Erek but after all they've been through I found that hard to believe, even if he was mad at them(mostly Jake) Erek was like an unofficial member of the team. Well...he probably would have stopped talking to Jake but I'm sure he kept in touch with Marco and Cassie
Richard is really Anna in disguise!

Thread of the Year(simsRAF) and Fan Fiction of the Year(RAFamorphs)[2011] Funniest Member[2012]
Quote from: 12:34:05 AM (horsefan1023)
  Glaflafock
I'm Sealie's Wonder Twin. Jess, Cody, and Demos' brother. And Estrid and Nate's father/great grandfather(time machine, don't ask)

Offline Baranth

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 07:15:46 PM »
Erek waso ne of my favs too. I wish KA would have given us a full pic of a chee in their natural form, instead of just their feet. Anybody else find it hard to believe Erek just completely stayed out of touch with the Anis since the war ended? I know Cassie said that would probably be the last time they'd see Erek but after all they've been through I found that hard to believe, even if he was mad at them(mostly Jake) Erek was like an unofficial member of the team. Well...he probably would have stopped talking to Jake but I'm sure he kept in touch with Marco and Cassie

Especially Cassie since they seem to be of the same frame of mind (pacifism) and since she's the only one on Earth/still alive at the end of the series.
I may seem like an idiot, but trust me: I know what I'm talking about.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 07:23:15 PM »
I don't know. It seemed like the only reason she knew where Tobias was is because she worked with the Horks, and he was living with them in Yellowstone.

I don't know if the Chee kept in touch at all.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
  • RAF's Official Unofficial Canadian Ambassador
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 08:30:07 PM »
     The Chee made a big deal of "not interfering" with the progress of man. The only reason we know about Erek and the Chee is because Erek wanted to kick Yeerk Ass. I think most of the Chee wanted to keep a low profile after the War.
Tony's pet Goose.
Unknown User is my shorm.
:raftrophy:
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)
The picture is rather accurate

Offline SuperBlue

• God
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 08:34:51 PM »
They weren't keeping a low profile already? The anis were the first humans...not even humans, they were first ANYTHING other than the Howlers to know of the Chee's existence
Richard is really Anna in disguise!

Thread of the Year(simsRAF) and Fan Fiction of the Year(RAFamorphs)[2011] Funniest Member[2012]
Quote from: 12:34:05 AM (horsefan1023)
  Glaflafock
I'm Sealie's Wonder Twin. Jess, Cody, and Demos' brother. And Estrid and Nate's father/great grandfather(time machine, don't ask)

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
  • RAF's Official Unofficial Canadian Ambassador
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 08:37:50 PM »
They weren't keeping a low profile already? The anis were the first humans...not even humans, they were first ANYTHING other than the Howlers to know of the Chee's existence

Sorry. I should have said "Wanted to CONTINUE keeping a low profile."
Tony's pet Goose.
Unknown User is my shorm.
:raftrophy:
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)
The picture is rather accurate

Offline Unknown User

• RAF's Official Ellimist Expert
  • Xtreme Member
  • ^-^
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 10:16:52 AM »
I know that Erek has a lot of things going for him as far as being a likable character goes, but has everyone forgotten that Erek was one of the contributing factors of Rachels death? If he hadn't taken out the weapons systems they could have disabled the blade ship and handled Tom and the others without sacraficing Rachel.
   Also, I get the whole pacifism thing, but he and the rest of the chee always seemed cowardly to me. What would have happened if America had refused to help stop hitler on the grounds of pasificm?
  I get that war isn't always the answer, but it was clearly need when it came to the yeerks and Erek could have done a whole lot more than he did.
Meh.

Offline MoppingBear

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 10:35:09 AM »
I know that Erek has a lot of things going for him as far as being a likable character goes, but has everyone forgotten that Erek was one of the contributing factors of Rachels death? If he hadn't taken out the weapons systems they could have disabled the blade ship and handled Tom and the others without sacraficing Rachel.
   Also, I get the whole pacifism thing, but he and the rest of the chee always seemed cowardly to me. What would have happened if America had refused to help stop hitler on the grounds of pasificm?
  I get that war isn't always the answer, but it was clearly need when it came to the yeerks and Erek could have done a whole lot more than he did.

No he couldn't.  The Chee are programmed for non violence, they don't have a choice.  I remember them talking to a female Chee once who said she wished they could do more for the war effort.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 05:40:15 PM »
I haven't forgotten that it's partly Erek's fault that the Bladeship got away. Also espousing pacifism is fine and dandy, but it's been said that it loses its value when you have no choice. Erek has faults. He's not a Marty Stu or anything. You could tell in book 26 that the only reason the Howlers were a threat at all was because Erek's programming was still intact.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Unknown User

• RAF's Official Ellimist Expert
  • Xtreme Member
  • ^-^
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, 09:11:39 AM »

No he couldn't.  The Chee are programmed for non violence, they don't have a choice.  I remember them talking to a female Chee once who said she wished they could do more for the war effort.

Yes, they did have a choice; The Animorphs captured a pemalite crystal which would have allowed him and the others to rewrite their programming. In fact, Erek DID rewrite his programming and was so powerful he took out two dozen controlers on his own.
Meh.

Offline MoppingBear

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2011, 10:13:33 AM »

Yes, they did have a choice; The Animorphs captured a pemalite crystal which would have allowed him and the others to rewrite their programming. In fact, Erek DID rewrite his programming and was so powerful he took out two dozen controlers on his own.

And then the crystal was gotten rid of.  Did the other Chee even know?