Author Topic: Animorphs' Parents = EPIC FAIL!!!  (Read 4616 times)

Offline Chad32

• God
Re: Animorphs' Parents = EPIC FAIL!!!
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2011, 04:42:44 PM »
Quote from: Stephed Bear
Well... um... I bet he didn't do whatever it was he did again....

That reminds me of something I heard a comedian say. He said when his father got mad at him or his siblings, he threw a shovel through a wall. Whatever they did to make that happen, never happened again. the skit was about if men actually discipline kids nowadays they have to go to counsiling and maybe take medication or some stuff. Nowadays you have people like Zakryn who think being made to fertilize a lawn as punishment is some horrible act of abuse. Heck i mowed the lawn as one of my summer chores. I never fertilized it, but I doubt whoever was made to do it had to handle feces with his bare hands or something.

Of course Zakryn is a guy that thinks throwing a snickers bar (or whatever candy bar type it was) into a pool and calling it a turd is disgustingly obsene.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Stephquiem

• #1 Poster 8)
  • Gold Donor
  • ^ Hugh. Not House, dagnabit.
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2011, 04:47:42 PM »
Well, I wouldn't agree it's obscene, but it's certainly wasteful...

Oi, and yes. Tobias' aunt and uncle. I mean, I guess there could've been stuff going on that we didn't hear about--at the very least his teachers must've notice he was gone. 13 year olds don't just disappear without something being done. It could conceivably be that there was just more important stuff for them to be dwelling on.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2011, 04:52:24 PM »
There was actually one teacher that recognized him and was like "Tobias! Is that you? where have you been?"

But yeah, Tobias' folks take the cake. peter probably could have done better, but had the defense of being clinically depressed. Makes me wonder why Erek and his dad didn't do more or something. Though I'm not sure why marco and erek had a falling out at all.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Stephquiem

• #1 Poster 8)
  • Gold Donor
  • ^ Hugh. Not House, dagnabit.
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2011, 04:55:54 PM »
They didn't have a falling out. Erek was just a guy Marco sort of knew. And then he changed schools.

Offline LisaCharly

• HotPinkCoffee
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2011, 04:57:22 PM »
Marco and Erek really didn't seem to know each other very well pre-series. It was definitely a 'I know this kid's name and occasionally talk to him' friendship, not a deep friendship. And even after Peter got his act together...he was still a terrible, terrible parent. Examples! Personally, I always sort of assumed Jake's family picked up some of Peter's slack in those two years, since Jake and Marco supposedly had been friends since they were tiny.

But yeah, Tobias' folks are just the worst, but I excluded them because they really aren't his parents. Although Loren and Elfangor could have a case for worst Aniparent if we ignore the circumstances. I mean, Elfangor inflicted a whole war on his kid. Whoops.

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2011, 05:01:19 PM »
I know Zakryn may have overreacted Chad, but we all have our own opinions about what is and isn't fair punishment.

When Tobias vanished, the school will have called his Uncle, who told them he'd moved. Nowadays the school probably would've followed up on that (or at least got angry at the Uncle for not telling them in advance that Tobias was leaving) but maybe not at the time the booms were written. Or maybe they did and that's how they found out he wasn't staying with either of them.

As for Marco and Erek, they were never friends as far as I recall, just guys who knew each other. Marco said a few people from school turned up at his mum's funeral and Erek was just one of them.

Oh, and Melissa may not have been an Animorph, but her dad certainly deserves considering for worst parent. He bloody told the Yeerks about Earth in the first place! He sold out humanity to the Yeerks and got a slug in his head in return. The fact that he doesn't remember any of it doesn't excuse him. The fact that he seemingly grew up to be a nice does redeem him slightly though (he became a Controller to save his daughter).
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 05:04:42 PM by Phoenix004 »
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2011, 05:08:45 PM »
I don't think making a horrible mistake when you're not a parent makes you a bad parent. ot that what Chapman did wasn't a wall banger.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Darth Zakryn

• Banned
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2011, 05:27:19 PM »

Ok, yeah, looking over my past posts, which I've never done before, I see how bad I am. I am going to change that starting NOW. And the point I was driving home (or trying to :-[) was that they're screw-ups and can't tell the difference about their kids. You know, maybe I was just raised to try the sensitive approach (****ing aside).

Not one of my prouder moments on this site...

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2011, 05:49:32 PM »
Well the important thing is that you know now Zak and you're willing to do something about it.

Although they did show moments where their parents expressed concern about them, it's something that would probably have been a bigger issue than we actually saw in the books. For the most part they were decent parents and would surely have noticed depression, aggression, insomnia, nightmares, staying out late with no explanation and a bunch of other things the Animorphs had to deal with. I can only assume they put it down to them being teenagers (and the fact that the Animorphs lied to them a lot to hide their problems).
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline Darth Zakryn

• Banned
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2011, 05:53:09 PM »

Well that gives me the hilarious mental image of the Animorphs being taken to counseling by their parents and them getting so worked up that they just blurt out "Earth is being invaded by aliens, and, by the way, I can turn into any animal I want!"

Offline SuperBlue

• God
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2011, 06:21:12 PM »
     When my dad was a kid, his older brother got onto trouble, and do you know what the punnishment was? My grandfather tied him to a tractor and left him there all night.

:wow:

your Grandma is AWESOME!
Richard is really Anna in disguise!

Thread of the Year(simsRAF) and Fan Fiction of the Year(RAFamorphs)[2011] Funniest Member[2012]
Quote from: 12:34:05 AM (horsefan1023)
  Glaflafock
I'm Sealie's Wonder Twin. Jess, Cody, and Demos' brother. And Estrid and Nate's father/great grandfather(time machine, don't ask)

Offline Tim Bruening

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2015, 01:41:19 AM »
None of the punishements seemed very harsh to me... Different from what my parents would have done, maybe, but not really harsh. Of course, by today's standard's where parents can't punish their kids at all for fear of being labeled as child abusers, I guess it's a little much.

And I don't remember a bomb being dropped on Cassie in number 14, but it's been a while since I read that one...

I do agree that the parents probably should have noticed that the Anis were staying out late and stuff, but after a while they were having the Chee cover for them more and more, which solved that.

And shouldn't TOM be wondering why Jake keeps staying out late, and otherwise behaving strangely (such as eating everything in sight during "The Capture")?

Offline YeerkSalad

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • h
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2015, 07:11:23 AM »
     When my dad was a kid, his older brother got onto trouble, and do you know what the punnishment was? My grandfather tied him to a tractor and left him there all night.

:wow:

your Grandma is AWESOME!
And on a related note, so is your Grandpa.
yeah