Author Topic: Macbeth  (Read 12795 times)

Offline Kitulean

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Kit Army Second
Re: Macbeth
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2009, 09:36:26 PM »
Well, whatever you found, isn't refusing to read what I write kind of strange? Considering I'm simply taking inspiration from it and writing my own thing. What you're doing is a little like refusing to read any book that involves wizards, because you hate Harry Potter. or refusing to read any book that involves knives, because you were once cut by a knife.

Again, feel free to read or not read, it doesn't really affect me either way. I just think it's odd. It's like you're blaming ME for a problem you have with some mythology written thousands of years ago.

If you enjoyed the story before, I can't see why you wouldn't enjoy it now. It's not like it's suddenly bad because of certain inspiration.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 09:39:15 PM by Cerulean »

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2009, 09:52:09 PM »
Hey, Shorty?  PM me that article of yours, too, could you?  I'm insanely curious to see what on earth could have turned you off of this story.  It had darn well better be good . . .

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2009, 10:00:26 PM »
Hey, Shorty?  PM me that article of yours, too, could you?  I'm insanely curious to see what on earth could have turned you off of this story.  It had darn well better be good . . .

Would you mind sending it to me as well? I'm also curious about it. Personally I find Greek mythology really interesting.
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline Kelly

• Gold Donor
« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2009, 03:06:24 AM »
Nice. :) I'm a fan of greek mythology also, I love how you've put that in. Hey Cerulean can you draw? Coz it'd be awesome to see some greek goddess pics of Macbeth!
"I always considered myself a loner. I mean, not like a poor-me, Byron-esque, I-should-have-broughta-swimming-buddy loner. I mean the sort of person who doesn’t feel too upset about the prospect of a weekend spent seeing no one, and reading good books on the couch. It wasn’t like I was a people hater or anything. I enjoyed activities and the company of friends. But they were a side dish. I always thought I would also be happy without them."

- Harry Dresden/Jim Butcher, Ghost Story.

Offline Kitulean

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Kit Army Second
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2009, 03:50:02 AM »
Oh that would be awesome, but no, sorry. I am absolutely terrible at art.

Offline Kelly

• Gold Donor
« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2009, 05:15:39 AM »
You'd be too busy anyway as it is :P
wish I could draw, I'd love to have a go! Hmm...any volunteers? :) :)

Anyway, congrats Cerulean, great update as usual! +1
"I always considered myself a loner. I mean, not like a poor-me, Byron-esque, I-should-have-broughta-swimming-buddy loner. I mean the sort of person who doesn’t feel too upset about the prospect of a weekend spent seeing no one, and reading good books on the couch. It wasn’t like I was a people hater or anything. I enjoyed activities and the company of friends. But they were a side dish. I always thought I would also be happy without them."

Offline Kitulean

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Kit Army Second
« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2009, 05:26:06 PM »
Happy birthday to me!  8)  ;D

Chapter Nine

"I dare do all that may become a man; Who dares do more, is none." - Macbeth, Act I, Scene VII

"Jeeze, lady, could you have sprung it on her any less bluntly?" The voice came from the corner of the patio where I could have sworn only a potted fern stood before. Now, a teenage girl sat on the edge of the fern. She looked to be about sixteen, with combat boots, dirty jeans, and a black pull over sweat shirt that had seen better days. Her hair was short and spiky, and had been colored bright pink.

I was slightly gratified to see that Maisie seemed to be just as startled by the girl's abrupt appearance as I was. Of course, I was still several leagues ahead in the shock olympics, considering what I had just been told. Was I really some reincarnation of one of those old women that measure and cut the string of life? If I was, it would take the nightmares I had about those ladies after seeing Disney's version of Hercules to entire new levels of irony.

"You are not to disturb us, creature." Maisie all but growled from beside me. I had the feeling she was pretty close to using her old point and kill routine. "Begone, and remember your place. Your domain is the ground. It's foolish for you to stray so far from it." She indicated the skyline around us.

At the sliding glass door, Micky appeared silently. In his right hand he held the same gun that I'd seen him with earlier. At least I assumed it was the same gun. But for all I knew, he had an entire arsenal tucked under his bed. He stood with the weapon as though to back up his mother's threat. Which, at this point, was kind of like the chihuahua that backs up the threat of the doberman. Lots of enthusiasm, not much point. His appearance did serve to remind me that I still didn't know who this Darryll was that he had mentioned.

The newcomer glanced sidelong toward the tall man in the doorway before turning her attention back to the obviously irritated Maisie. She raised her hands to her chest in mock surprise. "My domain is the ground? Well, **** on a shingle. I guess I better get back down there, huh?" She looked at me then, eyes sparkling mischiviously. "Hey you. You wanna see something cool?"

"Uhhh." That was as far as I got before the girl was running straight at me. Maisie raised her hand and shouted. Micky reacted quickly enough to pull his gun into line, but held his fire as his target passed his mother. Which should have made me feel better about being able to beat the woman if he was worried about hurting her. But at the moment I was still stuck back on the last couple h's of my uhhh. These people were executing Matrix precision ballet maneuvers and I sounded like I was learning the vowels. This was not a fair fight.

The pink haired bullet crashed into me a second later and I felt her arms tighten around my waist. Then there was a brief but sharp pain in my side as we smacked off the railing before tipping over it. I heard Maisie scream once more and there was a brief sensation of weightlessness before everything began to plummet.  I believe my stomach fell so fast it arrived several minutes ahead of time and established a base camp.

The next few seconds were filled with screaming, cursing, and even begging. "Ohhh **** yes! Hell yeah! Oh god please let me do this again! Whoooooo!"  Yeah, that was the girl. I was too shocked to do anything except make a strangled and inarticulate cry. 

We plummetted toward the ground. My scream rose to match my insane and suicidal companion's, for completely different reasons. I heard her shout. "Now you're getting into it!" I would have strangled her if my hands weren't busy frantically trying to sign 'Save Me' in case God was deaf. You never knew.

Abruptly, a wave of vertigo swept over me as we fell. I cringed and closed my eyes as my stomach rolled, and then we weren't falling any more. It was sudden, and should have been jarring, but somehow wasn't. All of that momentum had simply vanished.

Convinced that I was hallucinating, or had somehow died painlessly, I slowly opened my eyes. Cautiously, I peeked around. I was standing on grass, next to a tree. A couple of guys were flying a kite a little ways off, and there were a few joggers making their way along the path nearby. I was back in the park, several miles away from the hotel.

Before I could do more than let out a choke sob of relief as I grabbed onto the tree before my weak and shaking knees could dump me to the ground, the pink haired girl appeared once more. She popped up from the side, clapping me on the shoulder. "Hell yeah! That's an exit. Am I right? That was sweet. Did you see the look on those idiot's faces? ****, I wish I had a camera."

Still breathing hard, I raised my gaze to hers and, with some effort, managed to speak. "Who are you?" There were a few other things I wanted to ask, such as how we were still alive, but my brain was too busy trying to convince itself that we weren't dead to send the question to my mouth.

The girl flashed an impish grin. "Often. And before we get into some kind of Abbott and Costello routine, that's my name. Often. " She raised her hand, quickly taking mine. "And you're Macbeth. Good to meet you. Put her there." Holding my hand in place, the girl slapped it and then turned her hand over for me to slap hers. After I awkwardly did so, she snapped her fingers and gave me a thumbs up. "Yeah, baby. We aced them."

By now my brain had convinced itself that we really weren't dead, and I managed to ask. "How?! What the hell was that?! What just happened?"

Laughing slightly, Often gestured. "Oh relax, we just did a little Tree Surfing." When I looked at her blankly, she withdrew a pack of gum from her pocket while explaining. "When I'm close enough to a plant, I can enter it and pop out again wherever I want. So I just pulled us through that palm tree in front of the hotel to here. I guess we could have entered through that fern again instead of jumping off the building, but where's the fun in that?" Unwrapping her gum, she popped the piece into her mouth before offering me the pack. "Blue raspberry?"

Numbly, I took the gum and stared at her. "But, how is that possible?" Okay yeah, my asking that was pretty dumb considering everything I've seen already. Strangely, seeing the impossible repeatedly does not make you immune to believing something is impossible.

Often's lip twitched in a slight smirk before she gestured with one arm. "How is anything you do possible? ****, girl, compared to you I'm Joe Average." Leaning back against the tree then, she continued. "But fine, I guess I could explain. I'm a nymph, a dryad specifically." At my look, she rolled her eyes. "Oh, what? You'll believe you and some old hag are two of the Fates, but a super powered tree hugger is too much?"

She had a point, and she had just sort of rescued me. Which reminded me. "I have to go back. If I don't go with them, my parents are dead."

"If you do go back, a lot more people are going to die, babe." Often shook her head and cracked her knuckles. "And that **** will kill whoever she wants to, whether you're there or not. If you went there, she'd tell you to do something really bad. When you refused, she'd threaten your parents again. At least this way she has to find you before she can threaten them. She won't kill them for no gain, Macbeth. She needs to hold them over you."

That made me consider. "Okay, I guess so. As long as she can't threaten me, she can't carry out the threat." There was some kind of backwards logic there, but it sounded good enough. Besides, the girl was right. Even if I was there, I wouldn't be able to stop Maisie from doing whatever she wanted to. And if she tried to make me do something terrible, I'd have to choose between doing that and letting my parents die. This at least delayed that choice and gave me a chance to come up with a third option.

"Exactly." Often pointed across the street. "Come on, let's grab some tacos. I'm gonna pass out from hunger in a minute." Whistling, the mythical dryad punk girl began to walk with baffling casualness. I have said many times that my life is strange to epic proportions. This day was tipping even that scale.

For lack of any better ideas, and an obvious curiosity, I followed my apparent ally. "So, I thought dryads were supposed to be spiritual and, like, dancing in the trees with satyrs."

Often shot me a scornful look over her shoulder. "And I thought human beings were running around in loin cloths making animal noises. Oh wait, that changed too." At the door into the Taco Bell, she paused and added. "Things evolve, babe. Not everyone is stuck in the history books."

Following her inside, I nodded slightly. The insanity of things that I was willing to accept was approaching some kind of critical mass. "Okay, but why did you bail me out of there? Not that I'm not grateful, but how'd you know I was even there?"

We made our way to the counter, and the girl remained silent on the subject while she ordered several platters worth of food. After slipping the old woman at the register a couple wrinkled bills, she picked up two of the trays and started toward a table in the back. "Grab that one and come on."

I took the other tray and followed her to the back. After we sat down, she grabbed a burrito and started to unwrap it. "Dig in, before it's all gone. So, you wanted to know how I knew where you were and why I pulled you out?" The girl took a large bite and chewed thoughtfully for a moment before answering. "I knew where you were because I've been looking for you. I saw that old bat and her psycho offspring pick you up at the park. I rescued you because, well, I don't feel like letting Satan's dirty old grandmother talk you into doing whatever she had planned."

"Well, thanks for that." I quickly opened a taco and started to devour it. "And for this. You're like a fairy godsister or something. You could have warned me about that jump though."

She laughed. "And miss the look on your face? You totally thought you were about to splatter." Winking, the girl pried the lid off of the nachos. "It's cool though. I couldn't do the stuff you do."

Pausing as I unwrapped a second taco, I shook my head. "How do you know what I do? I mean, the last time I checked I didn't give any kind of interview or anything."

"Oh please." Often waved her hand with a cheese drenched chip. "Nymphs are the original gossip line. As soon as you started your hero schtic, the rumors and news were flying across the country. You've got a fan club. And well, more enemies than you know."

"Great." I leaned on my elbow. "Because the enemies I do know about aren't enough of a problem."

The girl munched her nachos for a moment before shrugging. "Like I said, you've got a fan club too. There's people who appreciate what you do. And some of us want to help. I heard you were in Miami and thought I'd look you up. Besides, as soon as I found out that old bint was around, I knew she was looking for you."

I watched in brief silence as Often pushed the now empty tray away and started in on the second. She was putting food away as fast as she could unwrap it. Slightly awed, I finished my second taco. "Well, I'm glad you were around. But I'm still not sure what I should do about all this." I hesitated, and then asked. "She was right then? I'm supposed to be this... Merai?"

After taking a long sip of her soda, Often corrected me. "Moirai. And yeah, as far as anyone knows anyway. Kind of a lot to take in, huh?"

"You're telling me." I started to eat a chalupa then while considering my next options. "I still need to do something before a bus gets blown up, and now there's Maisie and her spawn to deal with. Too bad life isn't like grammar. Then I could let two negatives cancel each other out and I'd be good to go."

Grinning at that, the other girl nodded quickly. "That'd be sweet. But, what was that about a bus?" She was quiet while I explained what I'd seen, then she flinched. "Damn, that's a bummer. But you've got that cop guy working on it? You gonna give him a little..." She moved in her seat a little with her arms up, a grinding motion. "... bump and hump to celebrate if you pull it off?"

I swear my face could not possibly have gone a deeper shade of red. "He's like twice my age, Often!" I hissed at her with a reflexive glance around. Yeah, I've got strange ideas of confidentiality. I can talk about dryads and seeing the future in plain view of anyone, but as soon as sex gets put on the table I've got to make sure we're alone.

The nymph's gentle laughter at my reaction was musical. "So? At least you know he's old enough to know what he's doing. Personally I don't usually go for anyone under a hundred. It's too much work to teach them what they're doing wrong."

"Wait." I siezed onto the slight change of subject like a life preserver. "Under a hundred? So you're not really a teenager."

The girl giggled once more. "I'm two hundred and ten. But I look pretty good for my age, huh?" She winked and flashed her quick smile. "Dryads live a long time. By human standards, I'm about your age." Stirring the straw through her soda briefly, she asked. "So really, what are you going to do right now?"

I leaned back in my seat to consider, and glanced up toward the register at the sound of someone arguing with the clerk up there. Then I froze and stared before pushing myself up. "I'm going to find a phone and call Tavelli."

Often was beside me then, clapping me on the back. "That's the spirit! You ride that mature stallion like..." She trailed off at my dirty look. "What?"

I nodded to the front. "See that?"

She followed my line of sight and shrugged. "Some crazy chick ****ing about her order. So?"

My feet were already carrying me to the door where I had seen a payphone. "That chick is a lot more crazy than you know. That's the woman that's going to blow up the bus. She's here."

Unfortunately, we never made it to the door. Before we were halfway there, a sudden gunshot rang out through the store. The sound made me jerk back, nearly crashing into my companion. At the front, our good old fashioned mortal crazy woman held a gun high the air. She was looking directly at both of us, even as one of the employees screamed. With a glint of obvious insanity, the boyfriend killer shouted. "All of you sit the hell down and shut up! I'm in charge now!"

I stood still and slowly glanced sideways toward my companion. She eyed me back and gave a slight shrug. "Well," She offered. "At least you found her."

Offline Faerie Larka

• The Patron RAFian of Sarcasm
  • God
  • "They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm."
    • Facebook
« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2009, 06:28:28 PM »
Whoa.  Another amazing chapter!  And an awesome happy birthday to you update.  Nice.

By the way, Often?  Yeah, she's pretty much my hero.
RAFdating the Ellimist!  :D
Jess is my RAFWanderTwin!!

"Look like the innocent flower/ But be the serpent under't"
-Lady Macbeth

Offline Kelly

• Gold Donor
« Reply #68 on: December 08, 2009, 07:21:24 PM »
I agree, Often is awesome. I love how you make all of the characters so different, but so real.

Happy birthday! :)

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2009, 12:00:51 AM »
Another amazing chapter! The new character is really cool too, I like the way she interacts with Macbeth, lol.

Oh, and :happybirthday:
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2009, 01:31:27 AM »
"Do you come here Often?"

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Anyway, great chapter, as usual!  Love the new character.  Poor Macbeth has a lot to swallow in just one night, doesn't she?

Offline Kitulean

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Kit Army Second
« Reply #71 on: December 09, 2009, 12:00:15 PM »
Thanks guys, I'm glad you like the new character. I had a lot of fun introducing her.

Also, since I don't think I ever mentioned, I thought I'd point out a tiny easter egg in the name of our villain. Maisie MacFarquhar. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0532239/  Take a look at the first item on the list. ;)

Offline Kelly

• Gold Donor
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2009, 03:06:14 AM »
haha that's cool. I've never seen that movie, but I've read the play, really enjoyed it!

Offline Kitulean

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Kit Army Second
« Reply #73 on: December 16, 2009, 09:46:59 AM »
Chapter Ten

"Blood will have blood." - Macbeth, Act III, Scene IV

From the corner of my mouth, I whispered the obvious question. "Got any magic faerie powers that might help?" I figured it was worth a shot, since my own powers wouldn't help except to tell us the vaguely obvious fact that people were close to dying. Seeing the future is sort of like being a meteorologist. Sometimes you nail the sunny day blizzard that no one else saw coming. And other times you're the only one in the monsoon without an umbrella, wondering what the hell just happened.

Often rolled her eyes back at me and retorted. "I'm a dryad, not a faerie." She said the last word with all kinds of aggrivation. "Do you see wings? Do you see multicolored dust falling out of my ass? Tell you what babe, when you go live with the baboons, because your species are so closely related, I'll do something about getting faerie magic."

"You know," I remarked. "You could have just said no. I'm supposed to be the cute, sarcastic one. It's my niche."

"Why thank you." Often flashed me her bright, sunny smile. "I am cute, aren't I?" She seemed to preen briefly.

"You're adorable." I said dryly. "But I'm still funnier than you."

She huffed. "You are not."

"Are so." I turned slightly to stick my tongue out at her and told her that she could take that to the bank. Or rather. "Ahn ooh cah ake ah ooh eh ahk." Not very dignified, no. But I was tired. And besides, you can only spend so much time doing what I do without going insane before dignity takes a far backseat behind having fun.

Often met my gaze solidly until I puffed my cheeks and crossed my eyes. Then she lost it and coughed. "Okay, fine. You win at funny and fail at English, Miss 'I are so'."

I paused to consider that, and then nodded. "That's fair."

"Hey!" The shout, furious and violent, interrupted us. I had the feeling that Emily Elsicon, our friend with the pistol and apparent hair-trigger temper, had been trying to get our attention for the past few moments. She waved the gun in our faces. "Are you going to do what I tell you to or are you going to keep babbling like a couple of idiots?" Emily was about four inches taller than Often, which meant she was a towering nine inches higher than me. Her hair was brown and lanky. She was in her mid twenties, and I could see that she would have been pretty in most circumstances, if she wasn't sneering angrily.

I glanced to my companion as though to get her input on the issue. The dryad seemed to consider the armed woman and raised her hand as though to ask a question. "Are you protesting the shocking lack of dignified coverage of the Taco Bell Chihuahua's funeral? Because if so, I am all over that like bad pants on a golfer, sister. Fight the power." She held up her fist.

Her reward for this was a vicious smack across the face by the back of the pistol as Emily sneered. The blow knocked Often backwards and I had to move quickly to catch onto her. The woman glared at both of us and held the gun straight out. "You got any more smart ass comments? Shut the hell up and let me talk to Macbeth."

My attention, which had been on making sure that the other girl was okay, snapped back around at the mention of my name. The obvious surprise on my face made Emily smirk. "That's right, I know exactly who you are. The little old lady told me about you. I saw her pick you up in the park, so I figured you'd show up around here again sooner or later. All I had to do was be patient."

From the corner of my eye, I saw a man slowly inching his way toward the exit door. I must have failed my poker face, because Emily whipped around and pointed the gun at the man, squeezing off a shot that blew a hole through the glass door and made several people scream. She glared at the frozen man and stalked that way. "Hey! I didn't say you could ****ing leave!"

Often gave me a look, grunting slightly in pain as she touched her fingers to her bruised temple. "Dude, does everyone know who you are now?"

I sighed and shrugged helplessly. "I guess so. I either need to fire my publicist or give them a raise. I haven't figured out which. You knowing about me helped. Her, probably not so much." I watched as Emily forced the man at gun point back into the huddled group by one of the tables. In all, there were twelve people in the building besides the three of us. It looked like four employees, a manager, a couple of college guys, and a family of five with three kids. The youngest, a girl of about seven, gave me a worried smile from underneath her mother's covering arm.

"You could get your publicist a trophy, and then bash him upside the head with it. You know, even it out." Often remarked, and then shook her head with a wince. "Check that, no bashing in the head. I remember how much it hurts now."

I started to ask if she was all right, but Emily stalked back over to us, gun in hand and waving randomly. "All right, blondie. Get over there and lock those doors." She threw me a set of keys that she must have taken off of the manager.

After I had locked the doors, I returned the keys to the gun-toting boyfriend killer and asked. "What did the old lady tell you?"

She rewarded me with a sneer. "The old **** told me everything." I kind of doubted that, but I let her continue.  Far be it from me to tell the armed psychopath that she doesn't have all the information. "I know all about your supposed superpowers. And I want to see them."

I kept my face as blank as possible, even managing a confused laugh. "Superpowers? Sorry, umm, if you're expecting me to fly or something, we're going to be here for awhile."

The woman wasn't buying it. Maisie had apparently briefed her well. I wanted to know why she had found this girl and when. Was it after she had killed her boyfriend, or before? Had Maisie set this entire thing in motion, or just taken advantage of my newest problem? Emily kept staring at me. "I want to see your powers, and we don't have a lot of time before the cops show up."

That was pretty much what I had been counting on, but I didn't have to let her know that. "Guess you better skidaddle then, because I don't have any--" My denial was cut off as Emily turned slightly, and extended the pistol. I saw the aura spring up around her victim and what she was about to do and my eyes widened in horror as I tried to throw myself at her, at the gun, in front of it, anything to stop the weapons trajectory.

It made no difference, because for all my vaunted abilities and specialness, I am not faster than a bullet. The sound of the gun roared through the room once more. This time the target was not glass, because this shot was not fired in warning. My outstretched arms were impotently short of stopping the bullet, which hit the youngest hostage, the seven year old girl, directly in her lower right side.  The child screamed, and blood instantly began to flood the floor. Too much blood for a child to lose and survive.

Most people know what a Banshee is. Few know that the legend of the banshee originally began as a woman who would scream and wail when an important person died. Their howls are supposed to be capable of chilling bones to brittle ice and driving souls straight from the flesh to the grave. I have never seen or heard such a creature. But if I ever do, I do not believe that its wail will begin to touch the force of the scream that erupted from the mother of the child who had just been hit. Her fury was that of a hellspawned demon, and she was on her feet ready to launch herself at this animal who had hurt her child within seconds.

Emily couldn't help but take a reflexive step back from the woman. But the gun gave her confidence and she shouted. "Sit down! Sit the **** down if you want your brat to survive!" The husband, the child's father, was trying to hold the little girl in his arms. His fury and his choking grief was an equal of his wife's, but he couldn't put the girl down. He held her tightly, tears streaming down his bearded face as he screamed for his wife to look, to see their girl. The other two children were sobbing as well, while the rest of the people looked on in horror.

I truly believe that the mother of this injured and dying girl would have waded through any hail of bullets that her daughter's attacker tried to throw at her. She might have died, might have been cut down. But she would have gotten to the **** who hurt her little girl first, and would have died with the certain knowledge that there would be one more person ahead of her in the line for whatever judgment comes after this life. No mere gun would stop the fury of this woman. But the voice of her husband, and the weak and plaintive pleas from the girl who was growing weaker by the second in his arms, brought her to her knees before them to wrap her arms around her little girl and the man who held the tiny, shivering form.

My moment of shock passed and I moved straight at this woman, who while less powerful than Maisie, was obviously just as capable of outright evil. She had shot a helpless child. I had to stop her before she could hurt anyone else. But before I could reach the woman, the abyss of that pistol barrel was staring at me once more. Emily smiled as I came up short. "That's what I thought. Now, where was I?" She acted briefly like she had to think about it, then snapped her fingers. "Oh yeah, your powers." With her free hand, the woman pointed to the suffering girl. "I want to see them. Heal the girl. Fix her."

I do not perform my miracles in front of witnesses. As I have said, I work in secret. I've learned since the first time, when Tavelli saw what I could do. If people saw what I could do, if my secret was out, my life would be over. I would be able to go nowhere without being mobbed by the thousands who would want me to help them. And that's only the people with good intentions, to say nothing of those who would find a way to twist a good thing into something bad. My anonymity helps me to do what I need to do almost as much as the actual powers do.  If what I was, and what I did, became known to those who didn't understand it, I would never be able to help people in the same way again.

And yet, was I capable of letting a child die simply to protect my secret? I could see the family, gathered around the girl, who was nearly gone now. A simple trip to dinner, perhaps a treat for finished chores, had become a nightmare.

My heart twisted as I saw the man lift his gaze away from his weak and passing daughter, so fragile and broken in his arms, to look at me. His little girl was literally dying in his arms, her blood soaking his shirt while her tears stained his soul. He was her father. He was her protector. But he could do nothing now but hold the most precious of all gifts, his child, as she suffered. This was a man who had absolutely no factual reason to believe that I could do anything at all. And yet, as he looked at me, I saw a man who was willing to believe in anything that would save his daughter. His eyes met mine and he spoke a single word that said more than a hundred other people in a hundred hours could have. With a broken and uncertain voice, the man said. "Please."

I realized then, in that moment, that the line in the sand was drawn. The future versus the present. Potential versus immediate. I had the attention and knowledge of a dozen witnesses.  The lives of dozens if not hundreds of future victims that I might be unable to help weighed against the single life of one little girl. And I realized, in that same moment, that all we really have is now. Life isn't about what you might do later. It's about what you're doing right now.

The future is shaped by the present.  What we do now defines what we will do later. And if I was capable of letting an innocent girl die, when I could help her, for any reason, then those people in the future didn't stand a chance anyway. I will announce myself to the world with bells and trumpets before I will ever refuse to save an innocent life. Praise me or hang me. Love me or revile me. The world can draw its own line wherever it wishes. Because I have mine. I will save the present, in the god willing hope that I will have the strength and skill to save the future, come what may.

I knelt beside the mother and gently put a hand on her shoulder. She didn't notice, intent on her baby girl. The other children, both boys, looked up as I softly spoke. "Let me help." I repeated myself and the mother looked to me angrily. In her confusion and grief, she might have clawed at me, attacked me to keep me away from her broken child. But the father spoke her name softly. The woman's arm lowered and I put my hand out, laying it on the spot of the young child's injury.

There had to be more blood outside of this poor, shattered girl than inside her small frame. She was pale and cold, and in seconds, I knew that I would be too late. I didn't need the blue aura to tell me that she was close to death. Her fate would pass on from me, and would be forever out of reach. But that would not happen. Even if these people shouted from the rooftops, even if my miracle was recorded on camera and played for the masses, I would not let this happen. Even if it meant that I would never be able to work the way that I have again, I would not let this girl die.

I felt the warmth as it began in the pit of my stomach, rising through me to my arms, and down to the hands that I held tightly pressed against the child's body. My skin tingled slightly as the heat rose. Some power that I doubt I will ever truly understand was coaxed, stoked like the embers of a fire into a roaring flame. I felt the onlookers flinch away when the room grew hot as I burned with the power within me.

Then it was done. I released the girl and sat back slowly. The child whose blood littered this floor, whose soul had been next on Saint Peter's waiting list, opened her eyes. Seconds before, that would have been her last, dying attempt to see her parents one final time. Now, when her eyes opened, they stayed open. She spoke quietly at first, then with more strength and certainty. "Mom? Dad. Mommy... Daddy. Mom!" Questing fingers, her own and her astonished parents and brothers, found no wound whatsoever past her bloody shirt. Her skin was whole, her body healed. Tears of absolute wonder and joy filled their eyes as they embraced.

They tried to hug me too, tried to kiss me and beg me to tell them what they could do for me. But I was already rising, facing the woman who had put them in this situation, who had nearly killed their daughter.  I felt the overwhelmed stares of the other hostages on me, and heard their whispers.

Emily stood in quiet contemplation, smiling curiously. "That was interesting." She said in the voice of a scientist who wants to run rats through a poison maze. "I wonder if you can heal two at once. We've got plenty of test subjects, don't we?" She carefully began to choose her next targets, her next so called tests. She wanted to gradually pick these people off, shooting them and making me heal them, just to see what would happen and what I was capable of.

When it came to what I was capable of, she was about to find out. As her gun swept over the group, picking out her next victims, I completely lost it. In a single day, I had been put through so much, had been forced to accept more than was possible. People were trying to use me, and were threatening everyone I knew to make me into what they wanted me to be. I was sore and tired beyond the telling. But right then, in that second, all I felt, was anger. I came up off the floor while screaming with inarticulate rage.

I wish that I could say that I purposefully timed my attack for when the gun was pointed the furthest away from me, but all I can blame that on is absolute dumb luck. I would have made my move in that moment, when the violence erupted within me, even if the witch had been pointing her weapon directly at me with her finger on the trigger. In those few seconds, I was incapable of thinking rationally.

The woman's eyes widened dramatically, a slightly satisfying feeling, just before I crashed into her. She tried to bring the gun around but my hand was on her wrist, holding it away as we both slammed into the counter. Emily managed to twist slightly at the last moment so that I took some of the blow as well. But I didn't notice. The pain was a distant feeling. The gun went off once, firing harmlessly into the wall. She screamed obscenities, viciously trying to force the pistol back at me. It went off again, forcing Often, who had been coming to help, to back off briefly. The witch tried to claw at my eyes with her free hand and I turned my head away.

She was larger and stronger than I was. But I was motivated. I brought my foot up and kicked her as hard as I could in the side of the knee. She howled but kept forcing the gun inch by inch closer to me. I kicked her again and her grip loosened. Immediately I twisted the gun out of her grip and ripped it away from her.

We were both breathing hard as I jerked backwards and brought the gun up to face her. For a moment, I could barely keep the barrel pointed the right way. I panted and we circled each other slightly. I could see the smile tug at her lips as she watched the barrel dance and wobble. I was so tired that I had to hold it with both hands just to keep it raised.

"What are you going to do with that?" Her voice was silk. "Are you going to lower yourself to my level? Are you going to shoot me, little healer girl? Are you going to get your hands dirty and play judge, jury, and executioner?"

I kept my gaze on her, breathing deeply as I gulped in air. Finally, I let the gun drop and tossed it aside, away from both of us. "No, I'm not like you."

The woman's eyes brighten in malicious glee, and she laughs. "You're an idiot. You're a stupid little child. You don't know how the world works. If you have the advantage, you use it. You had me. You had me and you threw the gun away." She shook her head in amazement.

Still panting, I raised my hand to correct her. "Um. Slight  grammatical error. It's minor but very important." As she blinked in confusion, I managed to smile. "Not so much 'away' as 'to'." I could see her confusion turn to dawning comprehension, and she spun on her heel.

But it was too late, and Often whacked her with a vicious crack across the temple with the side of the gun that I had thrown to her. As Emily let out a startled cry and fell unconscious to the floor, my new friend shouted. "There, you see?! Hurts, doesn't it, you little ****!"

I was almost out on my feet by then, and it took me a moment to realize that the ringing in my ears was actually fast approaching sirens. I looked quickly to the family, still crying over their little girl, but now in joy rather than grief. The other hostages still stared at me in wonder, and I knew it was time to leave. "Often, we need to go. Let the police take care of her."

The dryad looked to me, and then nodded. "Sure, babe. You look like you're about dead. Come on, I've got a place you can rest." She put out her hand to support me, and we retreated just as the police soared into the lot.

I checked in with Tavelli at Often's apartment, which was a lot sleeker and modern looking than I would have expected from a forest spirit or whatever she was. But then, a lot of my assumptions were being shattered recently. After he assured me that Emily had been taken into custody, I passed out on the couch. It wasn't all that late, but I felt like I had been up and running for days. Within seconds of laying down, I was asleep. The couch was comfortable, and I was completely out of it for upwards of ten hours.

The sun had barely risen the next day when Often's phone rang nearby where I had dropped it after hanging up the night before. Without thinking, I groped for it blindly and mumbled something incoherant at the reciever. It rang again, the sound startling me a little more awake. I managed to press the accept call button and turned over, muttering. "Hello?"

It was Tavelli's voice. "You better get up and get down here. She's about to walk out."

That brought me awake. I sat up. "What? What are you talking about?"

He sounded both bitter and tired. "She lawyered up. No one died, no one was even really hurt. So she's getting out on bail until her court date. I don't know who this lawyer is she pulled out of her ass, but he got some judge to wake up and set bail earlier this morning.

I was on my feet, shaking my head in confusion. "I don't get it. How the hell could she get off?"

"She's not off." Tavelli corrected me. "She just doesn't have to wait in jail until her trial. Like I said, her hot shot lawyer got her out. I've never even heard of him. Some out of state piece of **** named Craig Baston."

I stopped pacing. For a moment, I stopped breathing. "What did you say?" As I stood still and silent, I saw Often in the doorway of her bedroom, wearing fuzzy blue pajamas, looking at me quizzically.

He repeated himself. "I said Craig Baston got her out. Why?"

I was not a stupid person. I am capable of putting facts together. Meeting Often's gaze, I spoke to both of them. "Craig Baston is my brother. He got her out of prison." I spoke to the girl across to me, giving voice to the only explanation that made sense considering not only the odds of Emily Elsicon just happening to have my brother, who didn't even live here as her lawyer, but also the odds of Maisie just happening to know that I had gone to Boston two years earlier.

"My brother is working with Maisie."

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #74 on: December 16, 2009, 03:22:45 PM »
Haha, I like how Macbeth and Often have a little casual conversation while there's a crazy lady with a gun.  Nice.

Man oh man, I can't wait for the next chapter!  What's going to happen now that Macbeth has been exposed?  Was that part of Maisie's evil scheme?  It makes sense, after all.  Maisie's whole plan was to have Macbeth get captured by whoever captured her, so she probably told Emily what Macbeth could do in hopes that Emily would expose her.  Man, what a *****

Sorry, I'm rambling.  Anyway, great chapter!  +1