Author Topic: Macbeth  (Read 12733 times)

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
Re: Macbeth
« Reply #90 on: March 05, 2010, 04:59:53 PM »
So her earlier vision has come to pass after all, lol. Nice work man. :)
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline Kelly

• Gold Donor
« Reply #91 on: March 07, 2010, 06:46:31 AM »
"My good!" The shout filled the room even as the tears filled the girl's eyes. "They stole my good! They put that dark thing in me, the dark man that controlled everything I did and when he left my good was gone. He hollowed out a place right inside me so he could steer and there wasn't any good left. I--" Her voice broke and for a moment she looked confused. "I know here... I know here what's wrong." Her hand moved to her head. "But I don't feel it. I can't feel the wrong. I can't feel the right. I can't feel it at all. It's wrong. I'm wrong. My self is wrong! My good is gone."
Was not expecting this! That's sad, it makes me feel sorry for her as well as dislike her.
So after all that, her vision is still coming true...I wonder if by trying to stop it from happening she actually caused it to happen? If that makes sense.
Can't wait to see how she'll get Tavelli and the others out of this one...good work :)
"I always considered myself a loner. I mean, not like a poor-me, Byron-esque, I-should-have-broughta-swimming-buddy loner. I mean the sort of person who doesn’t feel too upset about the prospect of a weekend spent seeing no one, and reading good books on the couch. It wasn’t like I was a people hater or anything. I enjoyed activities and the company of friends. But they were a side dish. I always thought I would also be happy without them."

- Harry Dresden/Jim Butcher, Ghost Story.

Offline Kitulean

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Kit Army Second
« Reply #92 on: March 22, 2010, 11:09:45 AM »
Here you go, guys. This chapter ups the ante on the entire shebang. Hope you like it.

Chapter Fourteen

"Make all our trumpets speak; give them all breath, Those clamorous harbingers of blood and death." - Macduff, Act V, Scene VI

Often didn't share my pessimism regarding the physical laws of an object in motion versus an object of much slower motion. The dryad was already cutting through a flower bed, taking care to jump straight over it rather than trample the innocent plants within. She yelled over her shoulder while I stood there dumbly. "Come on, Mac! That van ain't gonna stop itself!"

I snapped myself out of my hesitation and followed the other girl. The van had already made a hard squealing right turn out of the parking lot and was cutting off a delivery truck, much to the annoyance of it and the three cars jammed up behind the thing.  I had no idea how the other girl expected to catch the thing, but just standing there dumbly obviously wasn't going to accomplish anything. "Tell me you have a plan!"

"Sure!" Often called back while running across the blacktop. "It's called stop the van before it kills a bunch of kids!"

I glanced sideways toward the van, which was accellerating along the road almost perpendicular to us. The road curved ahead and I could see that Often was aiming for the bend in the road where the van would have to slow enough to turn. "So what are the specifics of the plan?!"

She responded as though it were obvious. "I told you, stop the van before it kills a bunch of kids!"

"That's not a plan!" I retorted. "That's a goal!" The van was already making the turn, and I could tell that Often was slowing to let me catch up. For everything I am, a track star is not one of them. I was already breathing hard, and I wasn't sure exactly how much help leaping onto a van and promptly passing out was going to be. I know they say that being relaxed is supposed to intimidate your enemy, but that might be pushing the issue.

This wasn't going to work, not if Often, who was obviously faster and stronger than I was,  waited for me. I shouted at her. "Go! Try to stop her. I'm going to try to find that bus!" I saw her hesitate, then give a brief nod and put on a burst of speed that left me stumbling in her dust.

The van had already made the turn and was starting to pick up speed again when Often leapt, catching onto the side of it. The vehicle immediately fishtailed before recovering as it spun around another corner. I could only hope that my friend could hold on and somehow stop the van. But in case she couldn't, I had to find that bus.

I took a moment to breath and then turned in a circle. Car, car, car, I needed a car. There were plenty in the parking lot, but most of them were expensive and probably not what I was looking for. Finally I spotted a likely prospect. It was a midrange sedan, a Ford. I ran that way, praying that I wouldn't have to find another one.

The reason I couldn't take one of the fancy speed demons, as much as it would have helped, is that I am not a professional car thief. I'm hardly a professional anything, but in this case it's even more apparent. Despite what certain video games may have you think, stealing a car isn't as easy as getting into it and waiting for it to start. There's all kinds of mechanical and electrical issues.

Luckily, it's much easier to bypass all of this security using people issues. Someone with fifty thousand dollar vehicle was going to be careful, but someone still making payments on the average sedan? I hoped I was right, even as I approached the blue Ford. Leaning down, I felt along the bottom of the car. Mumbling "Come on, come on....",  I made my way all the way around the back and halfway up the passenger side before my fingers closed on a small rectangle. Fighting the urge to shout in triumph, I snagged the magnetic box and pulled it out. As I moved to the driver's side door, I slipped the small case open and dropped the key out into my hand. People use the little magnetic spare key holders to hide their keys under the car. My parents used to do the same thing. I've considered telling them about the problems with this system, but didn't really feel like explaining why I'd think about it.

I looked around to make sure I wasn't about to open a car and immediately have a screaming owner on my case, then unlocked the vehicle and ducked inside. Taking the time to look in the backseat while I slipped the key into the ignition, I saw a pile of quilts along with a coffee stained mug that read 'World's Greatest Grandma'. Great, so I was stealing an old lady's ride. Then again, I wasn't exactly feeling charitable toward old ladies at that point. Probably unfair, but I am only human. Sort of. At least there wasn't a kid in the back seat. Or a dog. I wasn't sure at that point which would have been worse.

Reversing out of the parking space, I glanced up to the mirror and adjusted it, then shifted into drive and pulled into the street. I had to think fast. Even as I floored the gas pedal and pulled around a yard service truck, I was trying to figure out how I was going to stop that bus before it pulled into its fateful line with the demolition van. Could it be as simple as pulling in front of it and stopping? Maybe simple wasn't bad, in this case.

First though, I had to find the damn thing. Gritting my teeth as I pulled around yet another vehicle in the way, I had to jerk the wheel back into my own lane a second later as an oncoming car blared its horn. I returned the favor before yanking the wheel once more to pull into the bike lane. With open space ahead, I hit the gas and took off. The second I was ahead of the other irritated drivers, I pulled back into the road and kept going. As annoyed as they were, they couldn't match the kind of horror that I'd feel if I let that bus be destroyed.

Blowing through a stop sign, I fought the urge to shout back at the screaming driver I'd cut off that he was going to have to get in line with the last half dozen people that had already made their own anatomically impossible demands. I did, however, take the time to shout at the next person to voice annoyance at my driving. "Just how limber do you people think I am?! Do I look like some kind of gymnastics prodggggwooooahzers!" My entry in the scrabble world championship was a direct result of realizing that keeping your eyes on the road didn't really help if the part of the road you kept them on was behind you. I had glanced ahead just in time to see a garbage truck pulling directly into my path. That was a newspaper article I didn't need to picture. 'Idiot Savior Killed By Sanitation Truck: Rescuers pry car remains open to discover she actually does bend that way.'

I managed to jerk the wheel to the side, massacre some poor guy's petunias, and avoid the garbage truck without losing too much speed. Wherever I was going, I was making decent time. At the moment, all I knew was that I had to get onto the freeway. That's where my vision had taken place. It was the only area that I knew the bus would be. Unfortunately, it was also where I knew the van would be. I just had to pray that I could get there first. I also had to pray that I wouldn't run into any cops on the way. I wasn't exactly sure, but I had my doubts that they'd take 'I had a psychic premonition that a van was going to crash into a school bus and explode' as legal defense. On the other hand, they might just inform me that Michael Bay wasn't filming in the area and send me on my way.

By some God given miracle, I managed to avoid getting too lost on the backstreets and made my way to the freeway ramp. I cut around a volkswagon to get up the ramp. I was twisting my head to look in every direction, but I couldn't see the van or the bus anywhere. My only hope was that my vision hadn't already happened. Although I was relatively sure I would have noticed an explosion like the one I'd seen before. At the very least, traffic wouldn't be cruising along like it was.

Ignoring the irritated honking around me, I floored the accellerator and weaved in and out of traffic, keeping my eyes moving. I sure as hell wasn't going to be winning any Florida Drivers Community Awards anytime soon, but I could satisfy myself with the thought that there would still be a Florida Drivers Community when I was done. "Where are you? Come on, where are you?!" I muttered to myself while trying to get around one of those oversized SUV's that kept trying to cut me off. Finally I twisted the wheel to go off the lane, enduring a few moments of violent shaking from the warning line used to snap drowsy drivers awake before twisting back into the lane ahead of the other vehicle which blared its disatisfaction.

Finally, thank the lord, finally, I saw it. Coming up on the opposite side of the freeway there was the bus. I could make out the yellow shape in between the other vehicles on the road. I looked up into the rearview mirror then, and saw the dread van coming up fast. I had maybe sixty seconds before the fateful collision. I couldn't make out the occupants of the van, so I had to assume the worst. Gritting my teeth, I pushed the gas pedal down as far as it would go, aiming for one of the breaks in the median up ahead.

Sixty seconds. Fifty seconds, forty seconds. I hit the opening and braked, twisting the wheel to shoot through into the opposite side of the freeway. I barely managed to avoid plowing into the side of another car before stopping in the momentarily open lane. Thirty seconds. I reversed briefly to turn and then shifted back to drive and started heading into the oncoming traffic. Twenty seconds. I tried to shut out the frantic horns as cars pulled around me to either side and focused entirely on the bus ahead. I could see the driver's confusion, and I prayed. "Stop the bus. Please stop. Please stop the bus. Stop the god damn bus!"

Ten seconds. The bus slowed. I shoved down on the brakes. Five seconds. The bus and my stolen sedan were nose to nose. I shoved the door open and stepped out, twisting to stare behind me. No time. Just as I spun, I heard grinding and tearing metal as the van tore through the metal fence that covered the median. It leapt the curb no further than two hundred feet ahead. The van hit the road directly where the bus would have been, and, with shaking knees I managed to breath a sigh of relief.  

The van was briefly stopped in the freeway, then it jerked back into motion and continued down the freeway. As it kept going, I stared after it and said, with no small amount of uncertainty. "Yay?" Now I really had no idea what was happening. I'd avoided the explosion in my vision, but was this a good thing? Or was something even worse coming?

I turned back toward the sedan in order to follow them when I noticed that the bus had emptied. A host of children, along with two teachers and a grizzled driver were standing in front of it, staring at me. No one was saying anything. Behind them, I could see other cars beginning to slow and stop. I opened my mouth, searching for words. "I, uhhh..." My attention was drawn to a small, dark haired girl of about eight, standing directly beside her teacher. My throat caught for some reason, and I couldn't find my voice.

There was muttering among the students, and even the teacher's looked confused as to what they had just seen. Abruptly, several of the kids raised their hands to point. I turned with my hand on the car door, to find my brother standing behind me. Then my slow brain caught up with my confusion. Not my brother, not anymore. The bad guy. Micky.   He raised one hand with a pistol and smiled. "Hiya, babe." My eyes reflexively followed the gun, and, in all out spite of my previously found precognition talent, I never saw the punch coming.
************************************************************************************************************************************

"Wake up. Please wake up. Please." I heard the quiet, but insistent voice as it pulled me out of blank unconsciousness. When I opened my eyes, my vision was blurry. I had to blink a few times to clear it. Immediately, I found a pair of pale green eyes inches from my face. Yelping, I jerked my head away reflexively, causing the owner of the eyes to yelp as well.

I sat up to find myself sitting next to the dark haired girl from the bus. That confused me. Was I still next to the bus? No, there was carpet under us. I looked around to see a dimly lit but nicely decorated bedroom. "What?" My head was pounding, and I put my hand up to it with a wince. "Where are we? What happened?" Even as I asked, I figured that we had to be back at Maisie's hotel room. But why was this girl here now?

The girl shook her head, scooting back away from me to draw her knees up to her chest, settling her chin on them. Her voice was quiet, frightened. "I don't know. That man put you in the car, then he made me come with him or he'd shoot Miss Baskotty. He's bad. He's really bad."

"Yeah, he's bad." I agreed while pushing myself up. I had to put a hand on the wall to steady myself. "Why did he grab you? What's your name?"

"N-Nine." The girl responded quietly, her face half obscured by her mane of black hair.

I figured she was too scared to understand and shook my head. "No, no, honey. I asked what your name was, not how old you are."

At that moment, I heard the door open across the room. Maisie entered, smiling. "That is her name, Miss Bethy." The vile woman's eyes twinkled as she closed the door behind her and stood facing us. "Well. Isn't this a nice little family reunion?"

Feeling rather slow, I shook my head and glances to the other girl. She looked just as mystified. "Maisie, what are you talking about?" Even as I asked, the thing she had said earlier came to me. "Wait, three sisters. Are you trying to say that--"

Maisie cut me off with a gentle, mocking clap. "Very good, Lachesis, you are capable of connecting the dots when everything is set in front of you after all. Yes, this sprout of a girl is our sister. I'd tell you to think of the name, but highly doubt you've bothered to verse yourself in our history." She cleared her throat and then, with mocking patience, explained. "Our sister's name was Clotho. The Roman's named her Nona, the Ninth." She raised her hand to the terrified girl now half cowering behind my leg. "Nine."

I frowned, putting my hand on the girl's head. "Wait, so she just happened to be on that bus? How the hell does that work?"

Rolling her eyes, Lucifer's Evil Stepmother laughed at me. "Haven't you come to understand yet? Fate will make happen what it wishes. We are the Fates, and we are indeniably intertwined. in the same manner that I just happened to find you shortly after your birth, you found our youngest sister. If it hadn't been the bus, it would have been a house fire, or a plane crash. The Universe would have brought you to her in some way."

Nine's hand clutched at mine as she shuddered. "Please, I don't know her. I don't want to be here. Please, don't let her take me. She's with the bad man. She helps the bad man."

I sighed a little. "If only you knew." Using my hand to push the girl behind me a little bit, I looked  back to the woman who called herself our sister. "What do you want, Maisie? What do you want from us?"

Maisie raised her withered old hand to point at us. "What do I want? I want the truth. I want the souls of those who imprisoned me. I want to force their screams into the fabric of my memory. It is the only thing that will soften the pain of my imprisonment."

She was crazy. I shook my head. "Maisie, they're dead! Whoever imprisoned you, whoever took your power, they're gone by now! There can't be anyone left to take revenge on!"

Her vicious, angry shout filled the room. "Their descendants then! I care not who they are, but somone must pay! Someone will pay!" Her eyes narrowed as her hand clenched. "I will have my revenge. If I cannot find those responsible, I will have their deaths another way."

I glanced back to the shivering Nine and then up to font of  maleficence, speaking as calmly and firmly as I could. "We don't know who it was, Maisie. We don't know where they are. You know more than we do. She doesn't know anything at all. Just let her go."

Chuckling, Maisie shook her head. "No, I won't be doing that." She pointed once more. "You're a clever girl. You are going to find out who was responsible. You are going to point me to them." I opened my mouth to deny her, and she cut me off. "If you don't, I'm afraid, I will be forced to take dramatic measures. I will kill our dear sister."

The moment she voiced the threat, I felt the bile rise in my stomach. My mind whirled and then I was thrust into another vision. I saw the room we were in now. Nine sat on the bed, staring at Micky sheathed in my brother's form. Maisie stood nearby with a phone to her ear. She lowered the phone, looked toward her pet assassin, and said, "Do it." At her words, Nine opened her mouth as the familiar blue aura rose up around her. The young girl's terrified scream echoed throughout my consciousness as Micky sent a single bullet directly into the center of her forehead.

Even as the girl fell backwards, lifeless and broken, I saw that blue glow brighten, rather than fade. It swept out away from her lost shell, avoiding Maisie. It went through Micky and I saw my brother's body drop lifelessly to the floor while the dark shadow that was the actual Micky remained in place. My vision pulled backward and out of the hotel. I saw the blue glow radiate outward from its epicenter, killing every single person that it touched. It drained the life of every single human being, first in the city, then the state, and radiated outward from there. No one was spared. No one survived.

I was on my knees, retching when I came too. I felt a withered finger tuck itself under my chin and lift my head. Maisie's gaze burned into mine. She knew what I had seen. "If you do not bring me those responsible for my torture, I will get them the only other way I know how. I will kill the center of life on this planet, and with her, every other living being in the world."
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 02:58:10 PM by Cerulean »

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
« Reply #93 on: March 22, 2010, 05:22:02 PM »
Nice work as always Cerulean, I like that you introduced the 3rd sister into the mix.

Offline Kelly

• Gold Donor
« Reply #94 on: March 23, 2010, 10:22:12 PM »
That was full of action...had me glued to the screen. I lol'd at this
'Idiot Savior Killed By Sanitation Truck: Rescuers pry car remains open to discover she actually does bend that way.'
Awesome job, can't wait for the next chapter!
"I always considered myself a loner. I mean, not like a poor-me, Byron-esque, I-should-have-broughta-swimming-buddy loner. I mean the sort of person who doesn’t feel too upset about the prospect of a weekend spent seeing no one, and reading good books on the couch. It wasn’t like I was a people hater or anything. I enjoyed activities and the company of friends. But they were a side dish. I always thought I would also be happy without them."

Offline Kitulean

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Kit Army Second
« Reply #95 on: April 14, 2010, 01:56:18 PM »
Chapter Fifteen

"That which hath made them drunk hath made me bold; What hath quench'd them hath given me fire." - Lady Macbeth, Act II, Scene II

It's amazing, and a little frightening, how much can happen in a single day. In twenty four hours, lives can be saved or ruined, families can grow or tragically shrink, the faithful can become the faithless. In the few minutes that I spent being shocked by Maisie's apocalyptic promise, I was escorted rather firmly off of the premises by a man whose face I couldn't bother to notice, a nameless minion of this epitome of evil who called herself my kin.

I stood on the sidewalk. People moved all around me. Children shouted, mothers corralled their young, fathers tried to help while unable to keep their wandering eyes from the beach and thoughts of easier, more carefree times. The cacophony of people, cars,  the city itself surrounded me. And I was alone. These crowds, these people, innocent and guilty, could die. They could all die, because I didn't doubt for one moment that Maisie wouldn't do what she said she would if someone to blame for her imprisonment, some descendant of those responsible, wasn't given to her. She would do it because she was evil. She was evil in a way that the word meant before it was carelessly tossed around and used to label everything from third world dictators to a cranky teachers. In a world where evil is a word used by supposed religious beacons to describe a love they don't happen to agree with, the thing that called itself Maisie MacFarquhar could not be adequately described  by anything less.

These people, and everyone I would never meet, would die if I didn't find the answers that Maisie had been unable to find. They would be snuffed in an instant, never knowing why, unless I did something, unless I was able to find one more miracle. It was too much. This was too much. Everything couldn't stand on my shoulders. I was twenty years old. I was a kid. I was a child trying to do the best I could with the powers that had been handed to me through a birthright, a resurrection, a fate that I didn't understand. I accepted them, I knew my burden and my gift. But I wasn't ready. These two years were not enough, these previous tests when I had thought that stopping a man from killing his wife so that she could go on to give the homeless man she passed just a little bit of hope that lifted him into the world once more and found a winter shelter that saved hundreds of other street dwellers was the height of my capability and accomplishments. Now, in twenty four hours, I had been handed an ultimatum that would decide whether this world, not neighborhood, not hospital, not school bus of children, but world, survived.

In the face of this responsibility, or perhaps spitting in the face of it, I did the only thing that I could do at the time and maintain any idea of sanity. I walked across the street, and I watched a boy play basketball.

I didn't know why I was standing there, hand on the chain link fence as I watched this olive skinned teenager toss a ball through the netless hoop. I was lost. Maisie demanded the impossible, and threatened the unimaginable. I had to find Often and Carter. We had to come up with some kind of plan. But instead, I stood completely still and watched the rhythm of the ball as though mesmerized. My responsibility, my duty, my life was too much. So for a moment, just for a moment, I stood still and let the world itself continue on without me. Hate me for that if you will, loath me for my weakness because my only excuse is that for all the power that weighs my hands, I am human. I am flawed, and I am emotional. Your world, our world, is not in the hands of an immobile bastion standing in a river of sin, blocking the tide of darkness with shield raised. She is a girl, barely more than a teenager, who hardly knows what she's doing half the time and has no clue the rest. I got a C in World History. My high school soccer coach said, of my athletic ability, that I was average. Your champion, ladies and gentlemen.

"The trouble is seeing the whole thing." Watching the ball bounce off the rim, acting for one moment as though I didn't have these responsibilities, I almost didn't realize the voice was speaking to me. Turning, I saw the boy watching me as the basketball rolled past him. A very slight smile seemed to tug at his lips. On closer inspection, his features seemed more chiseled than those of a neighborhood park rat. Though he still looked young, he was obviously strong. His light, sun streaked blonde hair curled very slightly.

Reaching down, I picked up the ball as it rolled closer. I turned it over in my hands before throwing it back to him. "I'm sorry, what did you say?"

He caught the ball and spun it between two fingers, then up onto one and down his arm, showing off. "I said, the trouble is seeing the whole thing. It's like this." Turning, the boy rose smoothly onto his toes and threw the ball easily through the hoop. "I see the circle, and I put the ball there." He walked forward and picked up the ball before turning back to me. "This other stuff, the opposite basket, the pavement, that fence, other players, audience, that guy on the bench playing chess, I know they're there. But what matters, what really matters in that moment, is the basket. If I let that other stuff, the score, how stupid I'll look if I fall on my face, or what the cute girl standing by the fence thinks about me, I'll screw up. Because," He paused and in the relative quiet, bounced the ball from one hand, down to the ground and back to his other hand. He repeated this a couple of times before speaking once more. "The problems in the world aren't meant to be seen all at once, any more than they're meant to be solved that easily. No one expects you to single handedly save humanity, Macbeth."

That brought my gaze up quickly. "What? What did you-- how do you know my name?" I was, understandably I would think, cautious. Yes, Often had already known who I was, but even factoring that in, my track record in the past 24 hours with people who knew more than I did about any given situation wasn't exactly spiffy.

Holding the ball in both hands as though considering the question, the boy then bounced it over to me. "I've known your name for a long time. I've known you as you were and now as you are. I've gotta say though, I prefer the upgraded version. The old you didn't have a sense of humor. Then again," He smiled with a certain wry self-awareness. "I suppose not many of us did at that point."

I held the ball tightly, staring at the boy. "Are you saying you're one of the old... that you were alive back then?" He looked even younger than me. Often looked young too, when she was actually over two hundred. But this boy was claiming to have been around for so long that I couldn't even calculate it. "You're like us then, right? You were..." I looked around and lowered my voice, feeling more than a little daft. Here Maisie had handed the future of life on Earth to me, and I was afraid of some random park stroller thinking I was loony. My priorities are straight, they just wiggle a little bit. "You were resurrected?"

The boy's only response was to raise an eyebrow. Then he went on without actually answering. "The point is, you're looking at this all wrong. You're seeing everything at once. You're focusing on fate of humanity." He held his hands out for the ball.

Throwing it back to him, I frowned. "That's kind of the important part of this little quandary, isn't it?"

"Not really." The boy laughed a little as I gaped at him. He turned to shoot the ball once more, putting it perfectly through the hoop yet again.  "Macbeth, in your first little mission, did you save the lives of all those people that will eventually end up in the hospital?" The boy waited until I shook my head slowly. Then he picked up his ball and continued. "You saved the woman, the woman will teach the doctor, and the doctor will save those people. You didn't walk into that hospital, learn to practice medicine, develop an experimental treatment, and personally save their lives. But when they are saved, it will be because you rescued that teacher." He smiled as he met my gaze. "You focused on the basket, Macbeth, and that's the entire point. That's what you've been learning. Cause and effect. If you do one thing, if you tip the right domino in the right place at the right moment, you can change the world. Or rescue it. Stop worrying about how heavy the boulder is and push the lever."

"So..." I shook my head, folding my arms over my chest. "What do you think the domino is that's going to stop Maisie from killing Nine and destroying humanity?" He stood impassively and watched me for several seconds before I got it, and I immediately felt stupid. "Wait. Oh my god, you're right. I've been focusing on the world. I've been thinking about humanity. I've been thinking about everything that's going to happen if I screwed up. I don't need to think about that." I had been looking past the boy into the distance, and now returned my look to him. "I don't have to rescue humanity from the dynamite. I need to rescue the dynamite. I can't save humanity. But I can save Nine."

Grinning with a perfect little row of teeth, the boy nodded once. "Stop trying to be responsible for every single piece on the board. Focus on what you can change, and use that to help what you can't."

I started to turn, then stopped to look at him once more. "You know a lot about me. You know about all of this. You said you knew me before I knew me. So," I hesitated, wetting my lips before asking. "Am I doing this because it's my choice, like I want to believe. Or am I doing it because fate said I would? Is my life dictated by my choices or by prophesy?" I didn't know why, but I felt as though I wasn't going to get a better time, or a better person to ask that question.

The boy raised his gaze to the sky for a moment before fixing his eyes on me. "Macbeth." His tone was ancient, a voice from ages long past. "You fall into the same trap as so many others. You make the same mistake. You assume that fate and choice are two contradictory things."

"Uhhh." I squinted at the boy, trying to understand him. "I'm pretty sure they kinda are. If you're fated to do something, you don't have a lot of choice in the matter. It's kind of one way or another. Either we have prophesy or we have free will."

He gave a slight, amused laugh that  was not mocking. "Do you read mysteries, Macbeth?"

Confused by the question, I nodded. "Sure. I mean, not all the time, but of course I've read mysteries."

Looking down at the ball as he rolled it between his hands, the boy continued. "Have you ever looked at the last few pages right off the bat and spoiled the answers for yourself, given away the murderer before you even get halfway through?"

Slowly, I leaned back against the fence, thinking about his words. "I... guess so. Yeah, I've read the ending first. I mean, everyone does sometimes."

He gave a very short nod. "When you read the ending first, does the murderer become who he is because you read it? Does the author's entire story, the words they wrote change because you flipped to the end?" When I shook my head, he put a hand out and touched my arm. "Macbeth, prophesy is not about a man foreseeing what his descendant will do and thus forcing every choice throughout the history between the two to follow what he foresaw. Prophesy is about flipping to the end of the book. It doesn't change the middle, and it doesn't force the ending, the revelation, the twists to conform in any way. Fate is about seeing the result of choices, not about taking those choices away."

I was silent for a moment, absorbing his words before speaking hesitantly. "Who are you, anyway?" There was something about him, something that had tickled the back of my brain since before I laid eyes on him. Something that had drawn me to this spot. It felt as though I knew exactly who this was, like I had known him before. But it was in the back of my mind and refused to come out and be understood.

The boy smiled with a mysterious glint in his dark eyes. "Everything in its time, Macbeth. You know that." Then he looked over my shoulder. "Your friends are here."

Turning, I saw Often and Tavelli crossing the grass toward us. When I looked back, the boy was already on the other side of the blacktop court. Squinting, I could barely make out the letters on his shirt. On the back of the pristine white jersey was the name Musagetes. And then he was gone. The sun seemed to turn up a few notches, forcing me to squint and cup my hand over my brow, and when I could see again, the boy had vanished.

"So Mr. Lawman asks me," Often was saying conversationally as the two approached. "He says, Oh dear, smart, beautiful, daring, sensitive, gorgeous, charming, beautiful--"

Obviously rolling his eyes behind his sunglasses, Carter muttered. "You said beautiful already."

Without sparing him a glance, the dryad shrugged. "Is it my fault when you repeat yourself?"

Flailing both hands up, Tavelli protested. "I never said any of that. Quit ad libbing."

"Who's telling this story, me or you?" Without giving the flustered detective the slightest opening to respond to that, Often turned back to me. "Anyway, he asks me where the best place to find you would be. So I asked myself, what is the most insane, reckless, ridiculous place for my little Macin-tush to be right now? Then it came to me: right under the font of all evil's potty room window. And here we are. Ta da."

They explained that between the two of them, once the threat of the bus explosion was taken care of, they had managed to subdue Emily. She was now hogtied, handcuffed and gagged in the back of her own van, and the explosives had been quickly transferred to what Often mysteriously called a safe location. Then I caught them up on what Maisie had done, and what she was threatening. I have to say, they both took it pretty well.

"Are you ****ing kidding me?! That **** is--she's actually, you're not... she's going to... What the **** are we supposed to do?! What the hell is--is this even--is there even--are you ****ing--What?!" The words kept piling up inside Carter's mouth as he spat them out with increasingly frantic hand gestures. Huh, apparently he was cool with reincarnated Greek legend saving lives through prophesy, but humanity being wiped out with a single bullet sends him into raving lunatic land. I wondered momentarily where the exact line had been. It might have been good to know for future reference.

"Have your breakdown on your own time." Often gave the man a little push before looking back to me. "So what now, Chief?"

I opened my mouth, then stopped. Because I knew. It wasn't a vision of the future, it was a sudden knowledge of the past. It was a truth that had been revealed to me between the spaces of memories. I looked to my new friends in this life, and my epiphany was complete. I knew what I had to do. I knew what had to happen. The only thing I didn't know, is if I had the courage, the strength, the spirit to do it. And yet, I did know.

A boy becomes a man, and a girl becomes a woman not through a single moment, but through a lifetime of them. Every choice they make is a step through  this sinuous labyrinth of reality. Throughout our days, we are children, making our wayward path in the maze that is life.  Each action we take, good or bad, brings us toward the zenith of our existence. And it is only in the moment that we reach that vertex of this life, between our last breath in this journey and our first within the wondrous path that lays beyond, that we can truly say that we have done all that we can. Until that penultimate exhalation, if there is  at least one more yet to come, it is every person's duty to make the next choice, to take the next step.

Despite my powers, I do not know what lies beyond this life. But I do know, that when at last my personal journey is over and I stand on the cusp between the world traveled and the world unseen, I will join those before me in saying that I have done all that I can do. And I will do so without regrets, because the footprints, the choices which have lain and will lay behind me, are my own. None are perfect and many seem ridiculous, but they are mine. Whatever has gifted us with the lives we lead, I believe, asks only one real thing of us: that we live them the best way that we can. So, despite my fear, I would do what I knew was right. Because when I take my last breath, it will be with the knowledge that I did what could. And that is all that anyone can ask.

"Macbeth?" Often's voice was soft as she watched me carefully. "What are we doing?"

I straightened my back slightly and looked to her. I tried to smile, but I was afraid. Despite my understanding, or perhaps because of it, I was still afraid. "Now, we save Nine, and we stop Maisie by trapping her in the same prison that she was lost in before."

Now Tavelli asked. "How are you going to do that? You don't know who trapped her in the first place."

"Yes I do." I bit my lip, then lifted my gaze to the hotel where my two sisters, one pure, one evil, dwelled. "I did."

-------------------------------------------

(pssst, look up the name on the jersey if you need to. :P)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 02:00:36 PM by Cerulean »

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
« Reply #96 on: April 14, 2010, 02:29:29 PM »
Awesome work as always. Nice cliffhanger and I liked the philosophical parts too.

Offline Faerie Larka

• The Patron RAFian of Sarcasm
  • God
  • "They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm."
    • Facebook
« Reply #97 on: April 17, 2010, 01:21:28 PM »
Awesome :D :D :D
RAFdating the Ellimist!  :D
Jess is my RAFWanderTwin!!

"Look like the innocent flower/ But be the serpent under't"
-Lady Macbeth

Offline Kitulean

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Kit Army Second
« Reply #98 on: April 19, 2010, 06:37:23 AM »
Thanks you guys. :D

I've decided to start playing a game. You know how each chapter tends to end on a cliff hanger. Well, now I'm going to start scrambling words that are a hint of what the cliffhanger of the next chapter will be. Some will be very direct, some harder.

This scrambled word is actually multiple words (I won't say how many yet), and is extremely direct on what the cliffhanger will be.

IWEKLGNNSAKAAIDHA

I might give more hints before the chapter goes up. I just thought I'd add a little guessing/interactivity.

Offline Kelly

• Gold Donor
« Reply #99 on: April 19, 2010, 11:25:08 PM »
Really enjoyed that chapter. I get really involved in the story everytime I read an update. I like that you've added another character!

Ahh I suck at anagrams...I'll give it a go another time. Awesome idea though!

Offline Kitulean

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Kit Army Second
« Reply #100 on: April 20, 2010, 05:19:56 AM »
That's okay, it's probably impossibly hard to do with just that. I'm just paranoid about someone actually figuring it out ahead of time. But I'll say this much, it's three words.

Offline Kelly

• Gold Donor
« Reply #101 on: April 20, 2010, 11:25:15 PM »
Is one of the words...
[spoiler]weakling?[/spoiler]

Offline Kitulean

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Kit Army Second
« Reply #102 on: April 26, 2010, 06:55:05 AM »
Oh jeeze, sorry, Kelly. I thought I responded to this. No, sorry, that wasn't one of the words. The answer to the scramble is after the chapter.

LONG chapter this time around, guys. Most of the chapters are about 3,000 words, this one clocked in at 4477. Enjoy! The opening quote is rather appropriate, and I'm sure SOMEONE here was wondering what chapter it would be used in. Baaaaaad juju going down.

Chapter Sixteen
"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes." - Second Witch, Act IV, scene I

It was nice to be the one making someone else's jaw drop for once. I needed to do it more often. I'd been getting surprised so much recently that  the flies in my mouth had begun filing residency papers.  Maybe with enough moments like that, I'd stop feeling like someone with chronic amnesia twisting the handle of a jack-in-the-box.

I was already walking by the time Often and Tavelli caught up. The first words out of my pink haired friend's mouth were. "What the hell did you just say? You did what? You're the one who what?" Reaching out a hand, she caught my arm. "Mac! You can't just... are you sure? How do you know?"

Nodding, I gestured to the van parked next to the playground. "Yeah, and I can do it again. But I need to talk to Emily."

That brought both of Carter's eyebrows up. "Okay, see when you say things like, you can imprison the embodiment of death, that makes me worry about you. Saying that you need help from a psychopath that was just carting around enough explosives to turn Disneyworld into Disneyw- doesn't do wonders for my confidence in this plan."

"I hate to say it." Often sounded just as hesitant as Tavelli did. "But the wondercop's got a point. What kind of help are you hoping to get from the she-****?" For once, the casual merriment  within her gaze was almost unnoticeable, replaced by concern and questions. "What happened back there?"

"Guys." I raised both hands. "It's okay. I never said I wanted her help. There's something I can do, but I need Emily because she was possessed by Micky."

Carter wasn't any less confused or more convinced. "What are you talking about? She was possessed by Micky and that somehow helps us? By the way, just repeating, as far as dangerous assassin names go, Micky isn't going to be in the top ten."  

Glancing over my shoulder at the van, I figured my sense of urgency was going to have to wait.  I needed to explain this to both of them, just in case something went wrong. Forcing myself to slow down, I started to explain what I had remembered. "His name isn't Micky. Not really. That part's a joke."

"I didn't know Maisie had a sense of humor." Often commented dryly.

"It's not her joke, it's his joke." I sighed and gestured. "Let me start at the beginning. Well, not the beginning, because I don't know what the beginning is. And that would probably be getting a little too creationist versus evolutionist for my taste anyway.  But let me tell you what I remember." Both of them, my new companions in this quest, grew silent as I recounted the memory to them.

I stood in a field of wild flowers. A narrow path led from the flat semicircle where I stood through the field and down a hill that was crossed by a stream midway. Beside me, my sister, my companion through the centuries, knelt before a collection of rocks. Our third sister, the youngest, sat on the opposite side of the stones, holding a naked infant in her eternally young arms. Though the skies were clear, thunder rolled over the land.

From her perch in apparent prayer, Atropos, who I would later know as Maisie, spoke. "The Mother's Arms will be here shortly."

In front of her, on the other side of their rock altar, Clotho said softly. "The prison has not yet been completed." She shifted the infant, whose dull and lifeless eyes should have horrified me, yet didn't. Because I knew that the apparent child had never been truly alive. It was merely an empty vessel meant to contain that which we sought to imprison, a mortal shell that would allow its otherwise immortal future occupant to be killed.  "She sends her men too soon."

I felt my head shake as I responded with a grim certainty. "It does not matter. They can't stop this, no matter how many she has sent." Even as I spoke, my hand gripped the hilt of a sword that rested against my hip. I realized that the thunder wasn't that of the natural variety, but was the sound of many running footsteps as an army drew closer. A steady, smooth ring filled the air briefly as I pulled the blade from its scabbard. "She has only sent them to crash in vain against the wall of her own destiny." My hand squeezed the hilt of the sword firmly, with the familiarity of a warrior who has spent a lifetime with her weapon. "Her ocean of warriors is but a few tender waves upon the sands of our eternity."

Clotho's voice was sad, and quiet. "My fear was not that they would break our ritual." I felt my younger sister's gaze upon my back, but refused to turn to her. "I mourn their deaths, Lachesis.  Do you have no mourning within you? No regret at the senselessness of the destruction of these men?"

"They serve an evil mistress." I had had this debate with the youngest of our trio many times. "I feel no pity for one whose actions feed the hunger and power of one such as she."

"Perhaps," Our eldest spoke. "The time for philosophy has ended. The legions are nearly upon us. You must keep them away, Lachesis. You must not allow them to disturb the binding."

Something within her voice made me turn her way. But her back was to me, and the thunder was getting closer. I would ask her what I had sensed in her voice once this was done. Turning away from both of my sisters, I made my way down the hill. As I neared the base, I could see the dustcloud as the Mother's army approached. I felt no fear, no anxiety or regret about what was to come. Clotho's words, her question of whether I had no remorse over the fate of these men was senseless. These men chose to serve an evil being, and in that choice they created their own destiny. My sword would only carry out the order they had written.

Extending my hand to the left as I stood at the foot of the trail, I felt the essence of the rocks and ground. I felt their potential, what they would become through the millenia of their existance. I felt their rise and eventual decline. I could visualize the mountains and cliffs that would be formed out of this field as nature took its course over many centuries. In the eons that this world would continue, this land would be raised up. I felt it. I knew that it would eventually be, and so I could make it so. Because my power was that of destiny, the destiny of the earth as much of people themselves.  I felt this land's destiny, and I brought it to pass. With a thought, with a mental urging, I brought the passing of millenia to the land within a few moments. The earth shook in a manner that made the approaching army's thunder pale by comparison. On either side of me, the land rose up. The ground itself shifted under my feet as mountains  were formed where a field had been moments ago.

I felt my power, my strength course through the land as I stretched it, forcing it to obey my command. My order was destiny, and even the earth itself could not disobey.  In the course  of a single minute, I created sheer cliffs that stretched into the clouds, leaving only the single path that led to my sisters. And that path was blocked by a force more resolute than any mountain. It was blocked by my blade.

As the running men approached their death, I stood motionless at the entrance to the narrow canyon that I had created. Of us sisters, I was the one that dealt the most with the world as it existed. Clotho gave men their potential, their life was a part of her power. Atropos ended that potential, their death was her power. But the potential itself, and what they did with it, that was my power. I saw men as they lived, not as they were born or as they died. I dealt in what was. I had no reason to think of what my younger sister said of regret. And yet, as these men approached, somehow her words continued to repeat themselves in my mind. With effort, I shook the seeds of doubt she had planted aside. There was too much to do.

Forcing my gaze forward, to the mortal army, I waited. A dozen men came for me, a dozen that were the spearhead of hundreds.  Each man stood tall, bristling with the weaponry they had mastered. Sweat glistened on their muscular forms as they led the charge toward the narrow opening that led to their goal. They had seen the earth rise up, but they did not falter. For some, it was utter conviction in their cause that fueled their courage. For most, it was the fear of she that had sent them. Even the mountains lifting from the dirt would not compare with the force of her rage if they disobeyed her command to destroy those that sought to imprison her.

I felt no fear, no pity, no remorse for these men. What I felt was confusion over my sister's words. Why would Clotho wish me to have regret for those who willingly allied themselves with evil? But then, hadn't I by my own thoughts said that for most of these men, will was not an option? They came to their deaths at my hand because to do otherwise would ensure their deaths at the hand of their mistress.

Shaking those thoughts from my mind, I met the charge of the initial men. The first came in with his heavy sword held in both hands high above his head as he let out a war cry that would sweep back through the army.  Behind him and slightly to the right, a taller man with a spear reared back to throw. To the left, another man with a sword held low, sweeping up on that side. Behind him, a fourth man, spear held close to his chest as he hurled himself forward for a better angle.

Time stood still. I extended my power through these men. I felt their destiny. I saw their fates converge to this moment. I saw  all of the ways that this battle could go. I saw how they could win, and I took that away from them. Each path through the tangled battle that led to their survival I closed. In the frozen second as the men came upon me, I witnessed my death a dozen times over. I saw every single action that could have led to my loss, and in seeing it, I ensured that it would not happen. If I slipped my foot right to avoid the thrown spear, the second sword would catch me as I blocked the first.  But if I stepped backwards, the second spearman would over extend himself and accidentally block the advance of the second swordsman, leaving me precious seconds to kill the first. Afterwards, if I moved on the second, the other spearman would use his reach to wound me. Making him my second target kept his body between the remaining swordsman while the man who would have already thrown his spear in the initial assault still drew his close weapon.

I saw all of this, and much more. I saw every single way that this battle could go, and I chose the outcome before it began. While the first spear still whistled through the air toward me, I chose every action that I would take, and in doing so, I chose every reaction of the enemy.  I controlled the course of the battle, and thus determined the  outcome before the first blow.

The spear from the second man whistled through the air, but I was already stepping backward. The shaft cut in front of the first swordsman, slightly slowing his charge. In that brief moment, while the second spearman rushed forward and blocked the approach of the other swordsman, I lunged forward and buried my blade in the chest of the first while he still held his weapon high in both hands. I felt it sink through armor, chest, and bone with equal ease. Even as the man's eyes widened with the shock of his own death as his sword fell from his limp fingers, I reversed my grip on the hilt of my own and used it as a handle, hoisting myself up before the man's heavy body had even begun to fall. Twisting up and around to lift both legs into a perfect kick, I hit the shaft  of the second spearman's weapon while he still held it tightly. The kick shoved the spear aside and directly into the path of the other spearman, who, having already thrown his initial weapon had been drawing his shortsword while he continued to charge. The head of the spear neatly impaled the man through the throat.

Still in midair, spun sideways from my extended kick, I pulled my own blade from the chest of the first man even as his body had just begun to collapse. Twisting, I hurled the weapon under the arms of the man whose spear my kick had deflected, and into the stomach of the swordsman behind him. That man stood in silent shock as his body went into convulsions. Finally, I landed in a crouch, three of the four men dead and the last soon to follow. He may have felt more confident for my lack of apparant weaponry. He should have known better. Rising from my crouch, I lunged forward before he could yank his own spear from the neck of his comrade. Seizing the man by each shoulder, I shoved him backwards, thrusting him upon the blade of the second swordsman, who was only beginning to fall.

As the four men lay upon the ground, their dying blood soaking into the earth, I withdrew my sword from the body it had been embedded within. I also took that man's less well made but still lethal blade. Then I stood and met the charge of the rest of the initial twelve. They fared no better than the four. And the ten after that no better either. Nor the ten, twenty, thirty that followed. The course of this battle had already been decided. The men approached destiny, and she met them with a sword in each hand, dealing their deaths with a sureness that none living could match.

The moment that the last man had fallen, as a river of blood swept the field, I felt the wrongness in the air. Even as I pulled my sword from the skull of the final body, I knew that terrible things were amiss. Turning with a sense of urgency that had been utterly absent during the frentic battle, I ran back up the trail to where I had left my two sisters.

When I emerged once more in the field of flowers, I found Atropos, the eldest Fate, standing upon the rock altar we had constructed. In her hands she held the formerly empty shell of a child. Cast aside in the dirt was our younger sister. Dark blood, so similar to that of the men upon the field that I had slain remorselessly and yet infinitely more distressing to me, covered her forehead where she had been unexpectedly bashed. Her attacker was obvious, our sister had turned on us.

With my sword tight in my hand, I faced the Eldest. "Why?!" I shouted, because even as the purveyer of fate, I could see no reason for this betrayal.

Atropos looked down upon me and smiled. "Because we have a deal, the two of us, child." While she spoke, the truth of things became clear. She was not referring to me, but to the being that we had sought to imprison, the Mother. "We had a great many things to talk about, when she/I came to her/me."

I recoiled, the horror of truth repelling me as no weapon could. "You joined with her. Atropos, you joined with the Mother!" It was as I said, as I saw. The two beings, my eldest sister and the horrid creature that we wanted to imprison within the mortal form to be killed had merged into a symbiotic relationship. "Why continue the charade? Why allow the ritual to continue?"

Continuing to hold the body of the infant in her arms, the combined beast responded with a laugh. "Because of the child! With the power of birth, potential, and death, the three of us/you could created a child. I/She knew that such a gift was exactly what She/I needed to advance. Her/My legacy would be continued only through the birth of a human child. Mother I/She is, but a human child she/I is incapable of birthing. Our/Your power was needed."

Even as they spoke together, I could see the infant move. The ritual had been completed. They had created life within the empty shell. But what kind of life. "What is it?" I circled, keeping an eye on our unconscious younger sister. "What kind of life could a being such as yours create?"

The smile grew. "His name is Icon. For he shall be a living trophy, a king upon all lands and speaker of My/Our words. His name will be that of the most powerful idol of the land, worshipped by millions upon birth. From his mortal shell he will be unbound, for it will be as fluid as time itself." While they spoke, the infant body within my elder sister's arms seemed to melt, becoming the shadow that I had seen before it entered my future brother's body.  The shadow, the 'Icon' that would later take up the suitably iconic name of Micky, coiled like a serpent around the legs of its mothers. I could feel its malevolence.

"I cannot allow such a thing to live." I narrowed my eyes at my sister, who had chosen to ally and combine herself with that which we had sworn to destroy. "And I cannot allow you to leave this field. Not as what you've become."

The Icon shadow hissed in fury at the threat, even as my sister and what had melded itself to her laughed. Her voice called out. "You cannot do anything to stop it, Lachesis! You do not have the power to contain our combined forms, or that of her/my child. He will possess you. He will destroy your spirit from within, where you have no defense."

The shadow moved, and I braced myself, raising the sword. But another voice shouted. "No!" I could see our youngest sister, standing now with blood obviously obscuring part of her vision as it dripped from her forehead over her eye. "Atropos, no! Why would you do this?" The plaintive cry of the youngest of us, the eternally innocent, brought a pain to my heart. I almost felt as though I were the one that had betrayed the circle of our trio. Then her eyes met mine and she continued. "Lachesis, the binding!"

The binding ritual. If we had been unable to kill the Mother once the creature was imprisoned within the body we had created, we would bind it within time itself. Hopefully, when the creature eventually escaped its chrono prison, we would have found the way to destroy it. But could two of us open the rift within time? Clotho thought we could, and there was no time to doubt her. Instantly, even as Atropos shook her head wildly, I focused on doing exactly that.

I felt the power of my younger sister join with my own as we extended both hands toward the eldest of us, our betrayer. Ancient words filled the air, words that have no meaning in the language of mortals. The power bristled through my every pore, electrifying the air. Atropos and the being she had joined with, as well as her shadow-creature spawn flung themselves forward to stop us. But the moment we began, a shield of power sprang up to surround the objects of our focus. I could feel the terrifying force that those imprisoned beings brought against the field. With time, they would shatter it, but they wouldn't have that time.

Over the clash of lightning above our heads, I shouted to Clotho. "When we open this rift, there will not be time to escape it!" I paused, wanting to tell her to leave first, before it became too late. But if she left, I would lose control of the field. The rift would either never open, or would open too wide and swallow too much of the earth itself. "We will be taken as well!"

"Better us be taken-" My sister responded. "Than the mortal world be lost to Them!"

We had only seconds before the rift would be complete. Smiling through the dust and wind that filled the air at my true sister, I shouted once more. "This won't last forever! Someday we'll emerge. On the other side, before we're brought back, you have to teach me this remorse thing!"

Clotho met my smile with her own, the shouts, screams, and threats of our sister, and her chosen family, washed away. "I will do that, Lachesis, and I will also teach you humor."

"I will never learn humor!" Those were the last words I spoke for centuries, as the rift opened fully, and swallowed all of us within its grasp.

*****************************************************************************************************
Once I finished the story, I was treated to my second open mouthed staring of the past hour. Often and Carter both looked at me in stunned silence. The dryad was the first to find her voice. "Can... I just say that I'm glad you were wrong about that last part?"

Nodding, Tavelli coughed in disbelief. "Okay. Okay well, if that's true. If that happened and all of that... is how this went down, then how are you going to trap her again? You needed the sister to do it before. And I don't think you're up to that right now anyway."

I shook my head and continued to the van. "I'm not going to trap her in time. I'm not going to open another rift. I'm going to finish the first plan. I'm going to summon her spirit, imprison it within the empty shell of Emily, and then..." I trailed off.

"And then what?" Carter caught my arm firmly. "And then what, Macbeth?"

Meeting his intense stare, I swallowed. "And then we'll decide what to do from there. But at least she'll be cut off from her power. But I need Emily's permission to do it. She wants to destroy Maisie and Micky for what they did to her. So she'll say yes. But I have to ask her anyway. It's the right thing to do." I pulled my arm away from him and pushed the door to the van open. Seeing Emily bound and gagged in the back, I let out a low sigh. "She has to understand."

Later, after I had taken the time to explain what I wanted to do and why, I still didn't know if she fully understood. She said she did, but I had my doubts. She was desperate to destroy Maisie, and I was handing her another chance to be responsible for that destruction. Did she think she was going to be able to simply stab herself in the heart once Maisie was trapped inside her body? I didn't know. Shamefully, I don't think I wanted to know. But I had her permission to try this spirit summoning, so I took it.

Tavelli continued to quietly grumble his doubts and concerns. But Often simply looked to me directly and asked. "Can you do this?"

I looked down, found my faith, and raised my gaze to hers. "Yes. I can do this."

She nodded, satisfied. "Then I've got your back."

Hugging her gratefully, I then turned back to Emily and put my hands on her shoulders. "Tavelli." I spoke tersely, quietly. "Pay attention. This **** is about to get real." Then I closed my eyes and focused. Reaching deep into the empty hole in her spirit that the creature called Icon or Micky had carved for itself, I found the opening. Then I extended my senses through the van, over the grass, and to the building that held my two sisters. I felt the fear and confusion of Clotho, knew that she didn't understand any of this. But there would be time to teach her later, time to reunite with my dearest, youngest sibling once this was done. And that arrogance, that feeling that this was simply a chore to be finished, is perhaps what doomed me.

I felt the spirit of Maisie, and knew that I didn't have a lot of time before she would know what was happening. Latching onto her power with my own, I ripped her from her mortal body, envisioning her spirit being torn loose. Pulling it as she screamed, I reeled the writhing, screaming ghostly form through the vastness of nothing that lay within the void and shoved it into the mortal shell of Emily. It was almost easy. It was almost too easy.

Breathing out, I smiled as my eyes opened. "It's... done."

My eyes met Emily's, and the other woman smiled with a voice that was many times deeper than her own. "Yes, it is." She held up both hands, and before I could register that neither was bound any longer, hit me so hard that I flew out of the van and landed hard on the pavement.

Often and Tavelli both ran to my side, as the thing that used to be Emily emerged from the van, stretching in the sunlight. I stared, terror overtaking every rational thought within my brain at what I had done.

With her hand on my shoulder, Often asked. "Macbeth! What is it? What's wrong? Did you do it? Is that her? Is that the ****?"

Standing in the shade of the van, The Thing that was not Emily any longer smiled. "Tell them, Lachesis. Tell them what you've done."

"It's not her." I answered, my voice shaking with fear that I couldn't control. "It's not Maisie, it's not Atropos. It's the thing that was inside her, the thing we wanted to destroy. It's... the Mother." I hesitated, the words almost burning my throat as I spoke them. "It's Ekhidna, the Mother of Monsters."

--------------------------------------

The answer to the scramble (IWEKLGNNSAKAAIDHA - three words) was: Ekhidna walks Again

NEW Scramble is: IREIFRCCRIAFLCEASIT HSSE - Four Words.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 06:58:25 AM by Kitulean »

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
« Reply #103 on: April 26, 2010, 04:09:39 PM »
Awesome chapter man, nice work! As for the new word scramble, is one of the words Lachesis?

Offline Kitulean

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Kit Army Second
« Reply #104 on: April 27, 2010, 11:25:39 PM »
Good guess, but nope, Lachesis is not one of the words.  Funny that it fits though.