Author Topic: Macbeth  (Read 12652 times)

Offline KitsuneMarie

• On the move
  • Gold Donor
  • Fantastic Ms Fox
Re: Macbeth
« Reply #120 on: July 26, 2010, 07:46:54 AM »
Whoa! That's a lot of writing! You can do it, though! You rock :D
Aluminator's RAFsister

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #121 on: July 26, 2010, 09:51:42 AM »
Good luck Cerulean! Fantastic work as always and looking forward to seeing the rest! :)
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline Kelly

• Gold Donor
« Reply #122 on: July 28, 2010, 06:50:31 AM »
i loved it :) u can do it! You'll have to put it all together when its done
"I always considered myself a loner. I mean, not like a poor-me, Byron-esque, I-should-have-broughta-swimming-buddy loner. I mean the sort of person who doesn’t feel too upset about the prospect of a weekend spent seeing no one, and reading good books on the couch. It wasn’t like I was a people hater or anything. I enjoyed activities and the company of friends. But they were a side dish. I always thought I would also be happy without them."

- Harry Dresden/Jim Butcher, Ghost Story.

Offline A ghost you know

• Jr. Xtreme Member
« Reply #123 on: July 28, 2010, 10:21:30 AM »
Great story! I'm loving it, especially the cliffhanger endings.

Good luck getting it done; I'm sure you can do it!
RAFdating Horsefan1023 (Seal)! :D

Offline Kitulean

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Kit Army Second
« Reply #124 on: July 29, 2010, 05:45:11 PM »
Thanks, you guys! Here we go, the home stretch. The first of the three remaining chapters. Two more after this.

Chapter Twenty
"So foul and fair a day I have not seen." - Macbeth, Act I, Scene III

"Well gee," Often commented with a straight face even as Maisie's body hit the floor. "I thought we were here to deal with two unholy ****es. Now there's only one of them." I could see beyond her words by now, enough to know that she was just as freaked as I was. Like me however, she understood that there was no benefit to letting Echidna know that.  Her lips twitched in the slightest bit of a smile. "Maybe I should let you deal with this one, Mac. I wouldn't want to hog all your glory."

"Oh thanks." I muttered back at her before focusing on the woman by the table in the next room. She hadn't moved yet, but then, she didn't need to. Every exit in the house was covered by her hideous freakshow. "I can't say I'm sorry to see Maisie go down." It was surprisingly easy to keep my voice steady, considering everything that was happening. Not that I wasn't afraid. I was terrified. The creature before me was so powerful that the eldest Moirai had been afraid of her, and seemingly for good reason. "But couldn't you have done something about Icon while you were at it?"

Echidna made her host's shoulders shrug. "I'm afraid that the creature born of the blood of the Fate's is too important to me at the moment. However, if you'd like to surrender yourself and your sister, and avoid delaying the inevitable, I will allow you to witness his destruction as soon as he is no longer useful."

"Ooh, tempting." I commented, trying not to take a step away from her.  I had to stay exactly where I was, as close to Often as possible. "But if you think I'm telling you where Nine is, you're wrong."  

The Mother Of Monsters smiled with Emily's face. "You don't have to tell me. I see the darkness through your fear, Lachesis. You're afraid..." She raised her hand, the one that had gripped Maisie's forehead, and turned it over. "... of that happening to you. Don't be. Atropos and I are now one. There is no reason to fear unity. Soon, everything you know will be what I know. And soon after that, the youngest Fate will join her sisters. Then there will be nothing for anyone to fear, because they will have no fate but what I tell them to. Their births, their lives, and their deaths will all be exactly what I allow. Every life in this world will be perfect, because they will know nothing else." She took a step away from the table toward us. "Make it easy, Lachesis. Do not struggle."

"Yeah, well." I said with a put upon sigh. "You see, the thing about that is, I have this life insurance policy. I know, they get you with the premiums. But they have this fine print that says if I ever stop struggling they can cancel my policy and it's just a pain in the ass to restart those things. So, if you don't mind, I'm just going to have to keep being a pain in the ass. Pfft, legalese." I produced Micky's gun from my pocket and held it for her to see.  "I'm sure you understand."

While I held the gun, Echidna chuckled under her breath. The gun wasn't anything for her to worry about. She took another step out of the kitchen and into the living room. "I am glad that you can still joke, Lachesis. It means you've grown. Now, let me see how funny you can be." She was eight feet away now, raising her hand casually. We weren't going anywhere.

"You like jokes?" I asked, raising Micky's pistol. "Tell me if you've heard this one before." Without further warning, I turned partway and raised the gun. But I didn't shoot at Echidna, or at any of her monsters. Instead, I aimed for the glass of the large window next to the front door. One shot blew the window out, and, even as the noise of shot filled the room, I shouted over it. "Often!"

As we had planned before even entering this house, in response to my shout, Often stretched both hands out toward the broken window and then jerked them across her body to the other side, as though she were flinging something. I saw Echidna's gaze flick that way just as the window was blocked out. An instant later, what remained of the glass was shattered through as a rush of grass and dirt flew through the opening like a sideways cave-in. The entire front lawn and a good portion of the earth under it responded to Often's call by hurling itself through the open window where it buried the startled Echidna as well as her monsters. The screams of rage that filled the room shook the foundation, but it was too late. The earth completely filled  the living room, all the way up to the ceiling, except the little spot where Often and I stood with a small path to the window.

Even as the dirt started to shift, the pink haired dryad pushed her hands against it. Quickly, the dirt hardened until it was nearly as hard as stone. Still, it slowly began to crack. She looked back to me. "Won't hold her, or the rest of them for long."

I nodded. "It'll hold long enough. We found out what we came for. Icon's important enough to her to keep alive. That means we want to get rid of him. Let's go!" I turned and ran straight for the window. Often followed and a second later we were outside the house. I had to stop for a moment to whistle. "Damn, Oft. When you said you could dump the yard on them, I didn't expect this." All that remained of what had been the front yard was an eight foot deep hole over the entire front half of the property.

"What can I say?" Often smiled and stretched her arms lazily over her head. "I aim to exceed expectations." Holding her hand out, the girl high fived me. "But damn, girl, we are good!" She glanced over her shoulder as there was a crash from within the house. "****. Sooner than I thought. Come on!" She started to run around the hole and down the sidewalk, and I followed right on her heels. The bellow of rage from within the house shook me to my core, and I knew it wasn't going to be as easy to put one over on the Mother of Monsters again.
******************************************************************************************************
A few minutes later as we turned the corner of another street and kept walking, I asked. "So this fortune teller. You really think she'll be able to track down Micky using his gun?" We were walking along a street filled with outdoor cafes and tee shirt shops. I didn't think that Echidna could follow us that easily, but I wanted to keep moving. Momentum was good. As long as I had that, I didn't have to think about other things.

"He." Often corrected me, as she stopped next to a hot dog cart and ordered four of their footlongs. After paying the man, she passed one of them to me before unwrapping the first of hers. "And tracking a person by their property is his specialty. If the gun means anything to the little homicidal prick, Keiran will track him. He might not want to, but he owes me a favor. Mmm, I love vendor hot dogs."

"You love food, period." I smiled a little bit as I watched her start on the second wrapped dog. "Is there anything you don't like to eat?"

Often thought about the question all the way through her second hot dog and partway through the third. Finally, she nodded. "Yes, boiled carrots. I don't like those. Carrots should be hard and crunchy, not soft and smooshy. It's unnatural." She raised her hand and gestured to accompany her point. "Not that I won't eat them if they're there. But I sure won't be as happy about it as I am eating crispy Bugs Bunny carrots."

That made me chuckle. "Bugs Bunny carrots. What's your favorite Looney Tune?"

"Tasmanian Devil." She answered without hesitation, crumpling her wrappers and dropping them neatly in a large green trashcan as we waited by a corner for the light to change. When we started to cross, she asked. "Let me guess, you're a Bugs girl."

"Nope." I nudged her and shook my head. "Daffy's my guy. Err, duck. I always thought Bugs was kind of a jerk for not sharing the spotlight. Of course, I'm weird, I also wanted Wile to catch the Roadrunner. The poor guy was just hungry."

"Oh, that I can sympathize with." Often responded with a smile before raising her hand to point. "This building." She pointed to a small, unmarked storefront. There was nothing to indicate what sort of business was conducted there, and the sign on the door was flipped to closed. There was enough dust on it for me to make a reasonable guess that it had never actually been turned the other way. Apparently, Often's fortune teller friend wasn't the type to advertise.

"You sure he's home?" I asked, trying to peer through the heavily tinted glass of the window.  

"Yeah." Often said, reaching out for the door to push it open. "He doesn't really go many places."

As we stepped inside, I heard a bell over the door. Immediately, a voice shouted from the back of what appeared to be an average empty store, with empty counters and display cases and an open cash register. "Get the hell out of here! You hear me, there's nothing here for you, ****ing ****roaches! Get out of my building and out of my life!"

The voice was so furious that I reflexively took a step back, but Often put a hand on my shoulder. "Good thing I didn't promise my friend polite company, Keiran!"

In response, I heard electric whirring for a moment, and then a wheelchair buzzed through the doorway that led to the back of the store. The man in the chair had skin that was almost as dark as thick coffee. His eyes were a startling blue that captured my gaze as soon as he appeared. He seemed to be in his late twenties, but an aura and demeanor of hard bitterness surrounded him so thoroughly that he came off as much older. Hell, for all I knew, he was seven hundred and thirty. From now on, I shouldn't try to judge anyone's age unless there's a birthday cake so I can count candles. I tried to look friendly. He didn't have the same inclination. "Who the **** is this?" The man demanded while stopping the chair next to one of the empty counters. "What does she want?"

"Umm." I started to step forward, extending a hand to the man. "Good evening, sir. My name is--"

"Yeah whatever." He ignored my outstretched hand to look pointedly at Often. "Why'd you come here? I told you not to bother me again. I don't get involved in this **** anymore." He barely gave a second for Often to start to respond before cutting her off. "Forget it, I don't care. Just go. Just take your new friend, and whatever little problems she has, and get out of my store before someone sees you. And close the door behind you. I don't need to hear all the dumbasses running around outside all night like it's the god damn Fourth of July."

The man  tilted the control pad on the chair and started to roll backwards back to the doorway he'd come through.  Often didn't let him get that far. Stepping forward, she put her finger on the control to stop the chair. "Keiran, let me get three words in edgewise." She ticked them off on her fingers. "You. Owe. Me." When the man started to shake his head, she poked him in the chest with each repeated word. "You. Owe. Me. You want three more words? Taft Lincoln Motel."

The angry man held her gaze with his own glare for a moment, but gave up eventually. He let out a long suffering sigh. "Okay, fine. Your friend wants an object read, right? What, she's trying to find an ex-boyfriend or something?"

"No." I said, deciding to speak up for myself. "I need you to tell me where the man this belongs to is." I took the gun from my pocket and passed it over to him carefully. Often had assured me that what mattered with this guy's ability was the spirit, not the physical body. The gun belonged to Micky, so he should be able to track him.

Keiran's eyes actually opened slightly wider in the barest expression of surprise, but he took the gun without comment. For a moment, he turned the gun over in his hands as though contemplating it. Finally, he passed it back to me. "Your guy's in the cemetary on Glenwood.  Doesn't seem like he's going anywhere."

I blinked as he handed the gun over. "That was quick. Are you su--"

He cut me off with a raised finger. "Finish that sentence and I'll back hand you from this chair. So sorry, I decided to forego the usual smoke and flashing lights **** for once. Just do what you need to do and get out of my store." He turned the control pad to spin the chair so his back was to us and began to roll to his back room. "And whatever you're up to, leave me the hell out of it!"

I noticed Often looking after the man with an expression that was a mix of frustration and sadness. She shook it off a second later and looked back to me with her usual ****y grin. "All right, babe. We've got a location. Let's go catch us an unkillable lunatic death assassin demonic ghost."

"Well, when you put it that way." I made a face at her even while we headed for the door. "Can we just stay here for the pleasant company and conversational opportunities?"

************************************************************************************************************

An angel adorned the wrought iron gates that led to the cemetery grounds. The metallic sculpted figure held a horn to its lips as though sounding the call to battle even as its wings swept back behind it dramatically. It's other hand held the sword in its sheath, and it was there, at the junction of hand and hilt, that the handle to open the gate was. Opening the gate split the angel from the top of his horn, as though silencing it.

There were other entrances, but according to Often, this was the most discreet and little used way in. When I moved through the gate, I could see why. Most of the graves in this area had to be at least eighty years old. Not many people left to regularly visit this side. The newer graves were down the hill. Up here, trees cast shadows over everything during the day. That was obviously creepy enough then, but  in the darkness that had come with the night, the effect made my skin crawl. This was not a happy place.  And you know what? The fact that I was there to confront the super assassin demon that possessed my brother was seriously not helping.

Fighting back the urge to stay by the gate, I held up a hand to stop Often. "All right." I gave her a straight look. "This is my business with him. You should wait and let me handle it."

That made the other girl blink. "What--are you serious?"

I managed a dull laugh as I shoved her. "Hell no! Do I look like some kind of suicidal samurai to you? This guy's ridiculous. Get in here and help me." It felt good to joke a little bit, even in this situation where my knees were trying to shake their way into some kind of new dance move and I couldn't stop myself from continually looking over my shoulder no matter which way I faced. If I was a cat, my fur would have been standing on end the entire time.

Rolling her eyes at me, but smiling, Often came through the gate and looked around. "Okay, let's hope he's still here."

"Yeah." I responded. "I don't really fancy going back to talk your good close pal into another favor." Slowly, we moved down the narrow footpath, around the forgotten gravestones that littered the grass. What was Micky doing here? Was he visiting someone he'd killed? Was this a trap? All I knew was that Echidna wanted him alive, which meant I wanted him gone. Beyond that, to be sure, was my fury at him for what he'd done to Carter. I wanted to finish this, before he had a chance to hurt anyone else.

For all my vaunted skills, my night vision is nothing special. I nearly tripped over several gravestones when I lost the path a few times, and I would have completely missed the shape of Micky standing by a grave marker if Often hadn't put a hand up to stop me and pointed him out. We both stopped and watched for a moment as the familiar figure stood with his head bowed toward the grave contemplatively. After giving the other girl a shrug, I stepped that way. "Micky." I said. "It's time to leave my brother alone."

If my voice startled him, he didn't show it at all. Instead, he simply turned slightly and raised his gaze to me. I could see the smile tugging at his lips. "Macbeth. I'm glad you made it. I was afraid you wouldn't have a chance to see the end."

"The end?" I asked cautiously, reaching to my belt to withdraw the knife that I had borrowed from Often. Silently, I slid the blade across my own hand, drawing blood from the palm. "The end of what, Icon?" I called him by his true name.

The demon made my brother smile. "The end of it all. The end of anything that could have been. Do you see this?" He gestured to the gravestone. "The first man I killed, once I was free from the time cell you threw me into! But I didn't just kill him. I wore his body like a cheap suit and made him kill his entire family. His wife, his three children, even his old mother. The things I made him do to them..." The sick freak laughed a little. "Good times."

Blanching despite myself, I raised the knife so he could see it. "The only thing that's ending here is you, Icon. You're not leaving this cemetery. Let my brother go."

The bastion of evil chuckled darkly. "Or what? You're not going to stab your own brother, Macbeth. So don't even pretend."

My eyes narrowed thinly and I turned the knife over in my hand. "Don't pretend you know me. And don't pretend you have any idea what I'm willing to do to make sure my brother never has to be your puppet again."

As I finished speaking, Often came out of nowhere. I mean that literally, since she simply teleported from the tree where she had been standing out of clear sight to the grass behind Icon. Even as she appeared in a green haze, he was reacting impossibly fast. He was halfway turned with his hand dipping toward the gun that I could see in a new holster. But impossibly fast was not always fast enough, and Often got both arms around him and held him tightly. "Mac, do it!"

I could see him struggling in fury. There was no way to know how long Often could hold him, so I had to do this now. "I'm sorry, Craig. I promise I'll fix it." I muttered under my breath before lunging forward to drive the knife into my own brother's stomach as hard as I could. This was no flesh wound. It was nothing he was going to walk away from unless I healed him. But hopefully, with any luck at all, it would also be enough to drive Icon to seek a new host.

The shock that filled my brother's eyes as the knife ripped into his gut almost paralyzed me. With effort, I twisted the knife and gritted my teeth. "I told you, I won't let you use him anymore. Now get out of my brother!"

As I jerked the blade up once more, Icon screamed and threw his arms free. The force hurled Often backwards where she crashed headfirst through one of the half crumbling tombstones. She lay still and unmoving after that. But the effort had taken him all of his remaining strength. He fell to one knee, and then it happened. He abandoned the body of my brother with a wail. I could see the inky blackness as it rose from Craig's form. Spinning in the air, the dark cloud started to move toward Often's unconscious form.

I couldn't let him get to her. Now was the last time to find out if my guess was right. If I was wrong, he'd take over Often and I'd lose another friend. I couldn't even begin to deal with that. With a shout of "No!" I lunged after the blackness. The blood from my cut hand filled my palm as I lashed out with it and grasped. I prayed that I was right, that Echidna's slip of the tongue, about our blood being used to make him, meant that with my blood, I could touch him. The entire plan hinged on that, revolved around it. If this didn't work, it was over.

My blood filled hand closed around the black cloud that made up Icon's normally incorporeal form, and I felt it. He was cold, and slippery like an eel. But I grasped the cloud and stopped him. I think the act of being held like that must have utterly shocked him, because an instant after I grasped the cloud, his demonic, hate filled face was right up against my eyes as he let out a dread scream of rage and fury that echoed throughout the cemetery.

I refused to let go. "It's time to go, Icon!" I shouted at him through his bellows of anger. "This world has had enough of you! I've had enough of you!" Dropping the knife to the ground, I reached up with my now free hand to shove through the dark cloud. "You're connected to me by blood! That means it's my responsibility to stop you! I should have stopped you before! But I'm sure as hell stopping you now!"

Feeling the strain on my body, and my soul as I fought through what I was trying to do, I continued to hold onto the vile creature despite his thrashing. "I can see the way all things can be! I see your fate, Icon! I see your fate through all these worlds, and I see the worlds where you don't exist!" I could feel blood not on my hand, but from my nose. The effort I was putting into this was sending jackhammers through my brain. "I see the worlds where you're nothing! And that's where you're going!"

For a brief second after I said that, the creature's thrashing stopped. I felt his gaze on me, wicked and incomprehending. Then I shoved. I pushed that disgusting, evil creature as hard as I could. I thew him backwards into the tear of reality that I had created, into the reality where he no longer existed. The two truths, that he did not exist and that he did, met with the force of an explosion. I could hear Icon's scream as it echoed throughout both realities. And then, with the barest whisper of fate, he was gone. Icon had been destroyed.

As soon as he was gone, the pressure on my brain dropped me to the ground. There was a dull haze over my vision. I could see Often, still completely unmoving. I could see Craig, his now free but painfilled eyes raised to me with a weak shout that I couldn't hear through the deafness that enveloped me.  Weakly, I pushed myself toward him. He was going to bleed out in a few minutes. I had to reach him. I had to heal my brother.

But I, as any person in this world, have my limits. Even as I tried to scream for Craig to reach out to me, as I strained my hand toward his broken and bleeding form, I slumped to the grass. My vision dulled and then, meeting my brother's gaze for what I felt would be the last time, I succumbed to unconsciousness.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scramble: rsdoeteyd   Answer: Icon is destroyed.

New Scramble: drleiaaeenemyfidsle h  5 words.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 06:20:10 PM by Kitulean »

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #125 on: August 02, 2010, 09:32:27 AM »
Another bad guy bites the dust! Keep it up Cerulean! :)
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline Faerie Larka

• The Patron RAFian of Sarcasm
  • God
  • "They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm."
    • Facebook
« Reply #126 on: August 02, 2010, 03:52:57 PM »
That was amazing :)

I can't believe there are only two more chapters left!
RAFdating the Ellimist!  :D
Jess is my RAFWanderTwin!!

"Look like the innocent flower/ But be the serpent under't"
-Lady Macbeth

Offline Kitulean

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Kit Army Second
« Reply #127 on: August 03, 2010, 04:32:10 PM »
Here we go, one more chapter after this!

Chapter Twenty-One
"We have scotch'd the snake, not killed it." - Macbeth, Act II, Scene III

If I, in describing the events of my life at this time, were to follow the laws of drama, this would be the moment that a prophetic dream of revelation would come to me. As I lay unconscious in that forgotten area of a dark graveyard, the rules of storytelling would bring me the answers. Hell, I was supposed to be prophetic anyway, so it would hardly have been out of the question. It would have been downright convenient. So, naturally, the only thing that I dreamed of was bouncing pancakes dancing and singing to an unfathomably and completely illogically popular song that was big while I was in elementary school. Unless effeminate blond boy bands are the next great evil, there was nothing important about my dancing pancakes no matter how much they mmm'd or bopp'd.

I was being poked and nudged back out of the black unconsciousness that I had fallen into. My lips moved and I mumbled something. I must have still been half in that dream state, because the voice that had been trying to wake me up groaned. "Not that damn song." Then I felt a harder jab in my side. "Get up, stupid girl."

Raising my head while flinching from the jab, I blinked just before Often's old sort of friend in the wheelchair shoved the stick he held down into my side again. "Oww." I informed him before pushing myself up. "Uggn, where..." I trailed off, looking to the spot where Often had been, and then to where I had last seen my brother. My mouth was dry. Both spots were empty. "Where are they? Where's my brother? Where's Often? Are they okay?"

Keiran visibly rolled his eyes. "Yes, they're absolutely fine. They just got up and went to get some ice cream and reminisce about classic Full House episodes." He looked like he might poke me with his stick again, but eventually dropped it. "Typhoeus's mate sent her thugs to take them both." At my blank stare, he sighed. "The Mother Of Monsters. Echidna. Narrow it down enough for you? She had her little gargoyle freakshow army show up and take both of them away." I saw the pain in his eyes briefly before he hardened his glare. "If you hadn't slept through the whole thing, maybe you could have done something about it."

Literally pushing my headache away, willing it to heal and give me some respite, I retorted just as sharply while standing. "So what did you do while this was happening then? At least you were conscious."

His hand shot out to catch my wrist. "I can't  fight Echidna or her hoard. You can." He squeezed painfully before releasing me. "You're the only one."

"Yeah?" Rubbing my wrist, I stepped over to where the grass lay flat and matted with blood in the spot that my brother had lain in. I was confused, tired, and afraid. "Well I haven't exactly seen anything to make me believe that." Reaching down to rub my hand over the dark stain on the ground, I flinched. My brother was gone, Often was gone, and the only help I had was this guy. If I was going to find either of them, I had to start working with him. "I'll take your comments, I probably deserve them and I've given worse. But if you're going to help me, do it. If not, I have to find another way."

After a moment in which he seemed to stare into me with those startlingly blue eyes, Keiran put his finger on the wheelchair control and turned himself around. He began to roll back down the grassy incline in silence. Finally, he yelled back. "If you don't move your ass, I'm gonna pick up that stick and beat it for you."

Casting one last glance back to the bare spot of ground and broken headstone where Often had been, I followed my cantankerous companion back to the same gate that I'd come through to enter this cemetary. The man's chair moved surprisingly well, even over unstable ground.

Once we left the graveyard, Keiran spun his chair to look at me. "First." He reached up and smacked the side of my arm hard enough to make it go numb after the initial stab of pain. "Never enter your elder sibling's domain without adequate preparation and protection." Pointing into the cemetary, he went on. "The lands of the dead belong to Atropos, and now, to Echidna. If you enter them, she will know where you are. That's how she found you."

"Right." I said, trying not to sound too impatient. "So why am I still here? Why did they take Often and Craig, but leave me laying there?"

"Because I saved your ass, that's why." The man reponded bluntly. "As soon as I found out your piece of **** sister was involved, I tried to get over here to tell you both not to be stupid enough to go onto the cemetary grounds. Got here just in time to make your body get itself lost while they picked up the other two. Before you ask another stupid question, no I couldn't have done the same thing to the others.  It was all I could do to hide you. If the **** herself had shown up, I couldn't have even done that. You're just damn lucky that she stayed far enough away to let me block your scrawny ass  from her sense." He leaned back in his chair. "That's why I wanted you to get off the damn dead land, because shielding you from her was taking too much out of me."

I wanted to ask what he meant by he made my body 'lost', and what exactly that entailed. Actually, I didn't really want to ask, but my masochistic curiosity was trying to act up against my better judgement. Thankfully, all I had to do to make it shut up was focus on what was more important. "Often, can you tell me where she is?"

"No." Keiran's answer was flat. "I don't have anything she owns. Besides," He raised his hand and jabbed a finger in my stomach. "You can find her yourself. That is, if you give a ****."

My hands clenched. "Of course I care. But I don't know what you expect me to do. I can't just point my finger and guess where they took them."

Keairan sighed in obvious annoyance. "Haven't you learned anything at all? Do you just enjoy blundering blindly through life, or do you occassionally open your eyes and pay attention just for the innovation?" He looked around like he might want another stick. "Do me a favor. If you do stop and think once in a while, try it now before your brother and Often are killed because you're too busy complaining about what you can't do instead of focusing on what you can."

My frustration, my anger, my fear, all of it rose up and I very nearly strangled the wheelchair bound man. Which, I'm certain, would neither have helped nor endeared me to the Society for the Handicapped. And with my luck, at some point the fate of the world will depend on just that. Stranger, as well as less helpful, things have happened. Speaking of less helpful, I looked at Keairan for a moment, collecting myself. I pushed my annoyance down and thought of Craig, and of Often. Then I asked through gritted teeth, as calmly as I could manage. "Please, if you know something I should do right now, if you know how I can find them, just tell me. I'm sorry that I don't know everything you know. But if you want me to save them, you have to give me a little nudge." My voice broke slightly at the end. I was scared, afraid of losing my brother and my new best friend in the same stroke, terrified that I'd lose both of them the way I'd lost Carter.

Finally, thank every god in existance, Keairan nodded. His voice was still annoyed, but at least he was talking. "Fine, I'll spell it out for you. If you want to know where they are, just give yourself a vision of them."

That made me stare at him. "Give myself a vision? What, you mean just make it happen?"

Rolling his eyes, the man nodded. "Right, you were still using just the training wheels. Look, if you care about them at all, if you've made any kind of connection with either of them, a real connection, then you should be able to see their current fate any time that you want to. You aren't a prophetess, little girl, you are the Moirai of Life. Stop acting like you have to wait for the vision to come to you on its own and just take it."

For just  a moment, I started to shake my head. Then I stopped, realizing that saying it was impossible would accomplish nothing. After everything I'd seen, after all the ways that I'd seen myself grow in this short time, would this really be the most unbelievable? I don't think it even rated the top five. Taking a deep breath, I closed my eyes and thought about Craig. I thought about all the ways that he was an enigma. I know he cared about me, even if he had odd and vague ways of showing it most of the time, and tended to let money get ahead of him. He wasn't the best person on Earth, but he was my brother. Right or wrong, I loved him. And I thought of Often, the girl that I had known just over a day, who had already become my best friend. I thought of them both, and I focused on where they were and what was happening to them.

Briefly, I felt the threads of destiny as they spun around me, seeming to trail over my face. I could feel it trying to pull away, but, with effort, I hauled it back to me.  And then I saw, through closed eyes, exactly where Often and Craig were.

My eyes opened with a gasp as I released the vision. "The pizza shop." I said even as I started to turn. "They're taking them to the pizza shop. ****! How did she find out where Nine was? How could she know?!" My fear for the other two had suddenly magnified to include Nine.

Keiran's voice was as dark as his skin. "Echidna has many ways to extract answers from her prisoners, particularly from an unconscious mind. Though it wouldn't have been pleasant." He pressed his control and rolled through the gate. "Come with me, unless you're planning on sprinting all the way back."

Suddenly paling at the thought of Often being hurt, I followed him. "Please tell me you have a van out here or something."

"No," He responded sarcastically. "I just rolled out here all by myself in this little chair." Then he stopped next to a large boulder that sat surrounded by weeds. I still didn't see a van or any other kind of vehicle. "Come here."

"Huh?" I stepped that way. "I-we have to go. Keairan, please, it's Often and my brother and my sister. Please, no more games."

The man shot me a look of annoyance. "Driving there would take too long, you stupid girl." His hand shot out to grab my arm. "You're going to take a much faster trip." He paused before adding with what sounded like genuine worry only partly masked by his constant anger. "Save them."

Then he give me a hard shove directly into the boulder. I barely had time to cry out in anticipation of a concussion before the world swirled around me. In the next instant, I fell backwards onto my rear, landing on the dirty ground. There was no boulder here. In fact, there was no cemetary anywhere nearby either. When I lifted my head, I could see the stonework of the building next to me, and a dumpster to my left. Ahead of me, there were cars passing by the end of this alley that I had ended up in. I was right behind the pizza shop.

Upon realizing where I was, I scrambled to my feet. I had no plan, no way of stopping Echidna. But almost everyone I cared about was inside that building. I would think of something.  Jogging to the back door, I pulled the handle and found it unlocked. Before entering, I looked around and then reached down to pick up a couple of very important things. Then I was as ready as I was going to be.  Carefully, as quietly as I could, I pulled the door open and stepped inside.

I was standing at the back of the pizza shop. Ahead of me, past assorted tables and near the counter, I could see what was happening. Laderbie stood with a massive meat cleaver that might as well have been an axe, with Nine huddled behind him. Often and Craig were both gagged with tape and being held by the arms by Echidna's monsters. Keiran had been right in describing them as gargoyles, because that was exactly what they looked like. Each stood at least six and a half feet tall, with a hard stone body, slightly curved beak-like nose, and bright glowing red eyes. Their wings were folded close to their bodies.

At least Craig looked better than he had when I had last seen him. His face was still pale and I could see dried blood on his shirt, but he wasn't dead. I didn't know what Echidna had done to save him or why, but at least he was alive.

Sounding amused rather than worried about the large man with the enormous cleaver, Echidna stepped forward. "I've not come for you yet, silly man. But I will have the girl. I will take her from you. Whether you're alive to see it or not is your choice."

Lifting his chin, Laderbie held the knife up. "I swore the girl would be safe, creature. I keep my promises. You'll get no surrender from me!" His teeth glinted as he smiled dangerously. "Do your worst."

Even as the woman sighed and raised her hand, I knew that I couldn't let this happen. Stepping forward past the chairs, I yelled out. "Echidna!" My shout filled the shop and everyone stopped what they were doing to look at me. I trailed my fingers over the tables as I passed them, trying not to let my hands shake too much as I focused on one of the most evil creatures in existance, she who had spawned enough evil to be named mother of monsters. "I hope you weren't planning on doing this without me. We still have unfinished business."

Staring through me with Emily's eyes, the creature laughed. "Oh no, I wouldn't dream of it." Her smile broadened. "In fact, I'm glad you're here, Lachesis. I was afraid that I'd have to keep waiting to take my true body back. I was ever so excited to get it, like on a child at a Christmas. But, I made myself wait for you. It's a very special time, after all."

That made me stop in confusion. "True body? What are you talking about?" I suddenly had an even more uneasy feeling about this. And considering I had just been walking closer to one of the primary sources of evil on the planet, that was saying something.

"Oh, you didn't know." Echidna used Emily's voice to laugh and then raised her hand, pointing back toward my brother, to Craig. "My true body, Lachesis. You might have noticed that dear Craig has certain compulsions. He has certain desires and urges that make you worry about him. He wants money and fame, and other things. He is your brother, but you were still afraid of what he might be capable of. Yet he never really got that far. Because of you." She jabbed a finger toward me. "Because you in all your infinitely stupid wisdom separated my soul from my flesh as we descended into that timeless void. My soul, my true self, was attached to Atropos, but you took my flesh and kept it close to you. You've had it close to you all this time." Her smile returned. "But now, it's come back to me. My true flesh."

"He's not your flesh!" I shouted. "He's my brother! He's a person!"

The woman's evil laugh echoed through the room. "He is nothing! He is only my impulses tempered by the conscience you spent a millenia trying to force on him before our birth! He is my flesh! I will have my body!" She spun back toward Craig.

"No!" I screamed and leapt that way. Whatever happened, I had to stop her.

Immediately, Emily's elbow came back and impacted my face. The woman turned as my vision spun  and her hand was at my throat. I knew in that instant that she could have absorbed me, could have taken me right then. But she just lifted me off the floor by the throat, choking me. "Stupid, pathetic, worthless girl! I will take my true body back, and you will see it! And then you will watch as I kill everyone you care for. Then, and only then, as your despair fills your soul, I will take you from your misery!" She hurled me backwards against the wall, where I lay stunned briefly, my vision clouding.

Pushing through the haze, I lifted my head and reached up, trying to pull myself to my feet. I could see Craig struggling against the gargoyles that held him firmly, even as Echidna reached out to him with Emily's hand. His scream of anger was muffled by the tape. I matched his scream with my own, even as Echidna made contact. Instantly, the room shook and every bit of glass from the windows to the cups to the mirrors all shattered. A deep, harsh laugh filled the room, coming from some source that I do not dare contemplate.

Then it was over. Even as I made it to my feet, I could see Emily's body fall limply to the ground while Craig shoved the gargoyles away from him. He reached up to take the tape off his mouth, and smiled. "Oh, it's good to be home." Cracking his knuckles while I stood in shock and disbelief, he reached out toward the still helpless Often. "Now, let's start with the first friend."

I would not let this happen. I couldn't. Screaming her name, I held up both of my hands so that Often could see what I had picked up before stepping inside here. Two wildflowers, carefully dug out of the ground so that I had their roots and all, with dirty still clinging to them. In the same moment that her eyes widened in recognition, I threw them. One landed right at Often's feet, the other on the counter next to Laderbie. "Get them out of here!"

While the two gargoyles holding her stared dumbly down at the plant, and Echidna screamed with my brother's familiar voice for them to stop her, Often immediately stomped down toward the plant. Her body shimmered in their grasp and, with a brief flash of green light, disappeared. She reappeared next to the other flower and put both hands out, catching Laderbie's shoulder with one and the top of Nine's head with the other. Then all three of them vanished with one more green flash.

With a bellow of rage, Echidna spun my brother's body toward me. She raised his hand and started to come at me, fury at being denied her victims pulsating from her. Him? I'm not sure exactly what to refer to the creature as. But in my mind, my brother is my brother, and Echidna is the evil. So, when referring to the mother of monsters regardless of what form she is in, I will use the term her.

Before Echidna could reach me, I held up my own hand. "You want to take me, Echidna!? Let's see who's faster. You can absorb me while I banish you out of this world the way I did Icon. Hell, maybe we'll tie and you'll take me just as I destroy you. Then the world can live without either of us!"

Even as she stopped, Echidna's eyes narrowed as though she was trying to read whether I was bluffing or not. Hell, even I didn't know. Which might have been what convinced her. Stepping back, she lowered my brother's arm and spoke. "We seem to be at a stalemate, Lachesis." Her gargoyles hung around by the door, seemingly even less eager to confront me than their Mistress now was. 

With a tight voice, I demanded. "Give me my brother back."

Chuckling, Echidna shrugged. "I don't think so. Right now..." She paused and then turned to the door. "I think I'm going to go wake up a few monsters."

"Wake up a few--" I didn't know what she meant, but I also couldn't let her leave. Whether it destroyed me or not, I had to stop her. My feet moved under me, as I tried to catch the vile creature by my brother's arm. However, my hand caught only air. Echidna, and her gargoyles, had simply disappeared. I was left alone in the store with only Emily's unconscious body. Staring at the spot where they had been, I slowly slumped down to my knees next to the other girl. All I could do was watch her, while my thoughts spun.

I have no idea how long I sat there before the bell over the door dinged. Raising my head, I saw Often coming back in, her hand holding Nine's. The pink haired dryad looked shaken as she stepped over to me. "I'm sorry, Macbeth. I'm so sorry. She just knew. When I woke up, she already took the information about Nine from me."

Standing up, I put my arms around the other girl and hugged her tightly. "It's okay, Often. It's not your fault. It's not your fault." I repeated before shuddering. "I'm just glad you're okay."

Then I heard my sister. "Broken." I looked to see her kneeling next to Emily. "She's broken inside." Her voice had taken on a somewhat dreamy, almost mystical tone. Wincing, I reached down to put my hand on her shoulder. I started to try to find a way to explain what had happened to the other girl, how her soul had been carved away by Icon's inhabiting her, and how her morals and her very conscience were what had been shattered. Before I could, Nine reached up to touch the unconscious woman's cheek. "I'll fix it."

Even as I started to question what she meant, I felt a rush of power enter the room. This was the energy of life itself. It felt warm, like the pleasing rays of the sun. The undistilled power of life filled the area and I almost wept from the strength of it.

It lasted only a moment, but afterward, when Emily opened her eyes, I already knew what had happened. The other girl blinked around once, and then her eyes filled with tears. She didn't cry from fear, or from loss, or any kind of sadness. Instead, the tears that she wept were those of joy, the tears of one who had been halved and was suddenly whole. "My soul." Her voice was filled with overwhelming exultation. "It's back. My soul is back."

---------------------------------------------------

Scramble was drleiaaeenemyfidsle h, which translates to:  Emily is free and healed

For the last chapter, there will be no scramble, sorry. Coming soon!

Offline Kelly

• Gold Donor
« Reply #128 on: August 03, 2010, 09:32:55 PM »
Fantastic :) I love that I become completely into the story just like I would with some of my favourite books.

What are you planning after the last chapter?
"I always considered myself a loner. I mean, not like a poor-me, Byron-esque, I-should-have-broughta-swimming-buddy loner. I mean the sort of person who doesn’t feel too upset about the prospect of a weekend spent seeing no one, and reading good books on the couch. It wasn’t like I was a people hater or anything. I enjoyed activities and the company of friends. But they were a side dish. I always thought I would also be happy without them."

- Harry Dresden/Jim Butcher, Ghost Story.

Offline Kitulean

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Kit Army Second
« Reply #129 on: August 04, 2010, 03:03:08 AM »
There will be a sequel to this book, it's just the first in a series. Also, I will work on Calamity Saint.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 03:22:15 AM by Kitulean »

Offline KitsuneMarie

• On the move
  • Gold Donor
  • Fantastic Ms Fox
« Reply #130 on: August 05, 2010, 11:39:53 AM »
Woo! That's good news!

Alright, Cerulean! You're in good shape to finish up by your deadline today. I'm totally impressed.
Aluminator's RAFsister

Offline Kitulean

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Kit Army Second
« Reply #131 on: August 05, 2010, 06:31:48 PM »
HERE IT IS! The FINAL chapter in this book. It's been absolutely amazing writing this and actually finishing it. I love every bit of feedback. You guys are awesome for encouraging me, and if I do get it published, you guys and RAF will totally be in the dedication. Thank you so much. Here you go!

Chapter Twenty-Two
"I bear a charmed life." - Macbeth, Act V, Scene V

Life is a complex tapestry of miracles among tragedies. For every failing there is an achievement, and for every curse, there is a blessing. No one in this world will succeed and be joyful in everything that they attempt. The trick, whether you are drawing a picture, working for an uncaring boss, or attempting to save thousands of lives, is to never stop trying. Failure only truly takes hold when you surrender your right to triumph. When you cease believing that you can win, you will almost always lose.

Believing that is what allowed me to get through the next few days. As impossible as my next course seemed, to somehow find and stop Echidna, I would never stop trying. I was a college drop out, with a few amazing tricks, and a history I was still trying to understand. In the other corner was one of the most dangerous, most evil creatures who had ever stood or slithered upon the face of the planet. And she was using my brother's body. This wasn't going to be any kind of walk in the park. But walk it I would, regardless of where the path took me.

On the day of Carter Tavelli's funeral, the sun was high, and shone against the scattered white clouds. I was glad for that. As much as part of me thought the sky should weep for the loss of a man as brave and devoted as Carter, this felt more like a celebration of his life. This way, the Heavens were bright, as though welcoming their son home. I liked to think of him that way, of being satisfied and cared for. I believe that I will see him again, and when I do, I will thank him for every thing that he did for me, and for my sister, and for the world. Carter Tavelli was, and in my mind, will always be,  a hero.

Rather than standing among strangers at the funeral, and there were many, I stood apart from them a short distance away. Beyond the obvious reason, that I didn't know anyone there, most of whom were police who might question my likeness to the sketch that had been on the news, I also didn't want to stand on the cemetary grounds. Keairan's warning was fresh in my mind. If I set food on 'dead ground', Echidna would know where I was. I didn't know if she was actively looking for me, waiting to strike, but I wasn't going to take the chance. So I stood by the fence of the cemetary grounds and watched the people gathered around where one of the strongest men I had ever known would be laid to rest.

Behind me, Often spoke softly. "The cop-man did good work." She was standing with both hands on Nine's shoulders, squeezing them. Beside those two, Emily stood with her arms folded. The other woman had been fairly quiet and introspective. I couldn't imagine how she was feeling, having first been possessed and controlled into killing her boyfriend, then losing her soul before being taken over by Evil Incarnate. She was a victim here, as much as anyone, but she was still standing.

Turning away from the funeral, I gave the woman a nod before kneeling in front of my sister. "Nine. Do you understand what's happening now?"

The young girl nodded and swallowed sadly. "I can't go home. I can't go to my mommy and daddy." Her voice broke a little even as she tried to look firm and brave. "Because it would make the bad people show up and hurt them. I don't want my mommy and daddy to be hurt. Even though I miss them a lot."

My god, what kind of horrible person was I? Keeping a little girl away from the parents that she loved. But, as much as it hurt, it was right. Echidna still wanted to take both of us. If Nine went home, she and her parents were both going to die. Sometimes there is no perfect answer. With a wince, I put my arms around her. "You can talk to them, Niner. We'll make sure they know you're okay. But you can't let them know where you are. And we'll have to find a way to disguise you." I hesitated before looking up toward Emily. "Or she will."

Emily nodded. We had already talked about this. "I'll keep her safe, and we'll keep moving. I'm as wanted as she is, so I guess we'll go underground. Figuratively speaking. With all the assassin and terrorist knowledge that Icon dropped in my head when he was inside me, we should be able to stay ahead of the hunt." She pointed back to a waiting van that Laderbie was leaning against while reading the newspaper. "And the giant over there will help."

Nine shook her head. "I want to come with you, Macbeth." Her voice was quiet but insistent. "I want to help you."

I flinched, but smiled. "I wish you could, Niner. I really wish you could. I want to know you. And I will know you. I swear I'll spend time with you. But right now, I have to go after Echidna. And if she catches us both together, very bad things might happen. As long as you're free and safe, I believe that there will always be a chance. Stay with Emily and Laderbie. Do what they say." I smiled and poked her stomach. "And just be glad I'm not leaving you with Keairan." Having met him in these past few days, Nine made a face and we both laughed.

"I heard that." The dark skinned man spoke up from his chair as he rolled across the empty street, closer to us. "And you couldn't pay me to babysit a little terror like that." Nine stuck her tongue out at him and he tried to jab at her with a stick, but she jumped away. Shaking his head, he focused on me. "You better get a move on. I said you had a few days before you'd have to go, not all the time in the damn world."

Frowning, Emily spoke up. "Why did you wait, anyway? You said that Echidna was going to wake up monsters. What does that even mean?"

Keairan answered for me. "It means that the ancient **** is going to try to find and awaken the old monsters. The ones from the mythology. The hydra and the nemean lion and all that. She's trying to wake up the dragons, and if she does, this whole world is going to burn."

Blanching at that, Emily swallowed. "So, again, why are you waiting around?"

This time I answered. "Because, according to Keairan, it's going to take Echidna some time both to find any of the monsters, and to gather the power she needs to wake them up. That and, what was it you said about my visions?" I asked the man.

He replied while setting the stick across his lap. "Your prophesies come to you for a reason. Even if you don't understand that reason for a long time, it's there. The same way that your first vision introduced you to Tavelli, which led to his saving Clotho. Which," He added gruffly. "I suppose is a good thing." Ignoring Nine's beaming smile, he went on. "Anyway, if you follow the visions as they come to you, and help whatever people you can, eventually you'll come to the next reason for them, which should be putting a stop to Echidna."

"And saving my brother." I added. Keairan didn't say anything to that, but I had already made the pledge. Whatever might have originally created him, Craig was my brother. I was going to free him from Echidna's control, no matter what it took. I didn't just save him from Icon by ripping apart reality just to lose him for good. I had to believe, I chose to believe, that it was going to be possible to free him.

I felt a jab in my side from Keairan's stick. He waved it at me. "That doesn't mean you can just wait around and do nothing. The visions, if they're going to lead you to stopping Echidna, only work right if you're out doing the things they want you to do."

Nodding as I rubbed my side from the poke, I glanced to the funeral. Everything seemed to be breaking up. Which meant it was time for us to leave. Taking one last moment to stare at the spot where Carter Tavelli was being lain to rest, I thanked him silently once more for everything he did. Then I looked to Nine. "Time for you guys to go, sweetie." I leaned down to hug my sister again.

Wrapping her arms tightly around my neck, Nine repeated. "I really wish I could go with you." She finally released me after a moment and sighed. "But I know. I'll go with them. I'll be good." She was trying hard not to cry, and her seeking hand found mine, squeezing it. "Be careful, Macbeth. Do you promise?"

Smiling, I answered her softly. "Of course I promise. I'll be careful. You do what Emily and Laderbie tell you to, okay? They're going to keep you safe now." As she nodded, I cupped her cheek and smoothed her dark hair away from her face. "I'll talk to you every chance I get. And I'll see you as soon as I can. We'll find a way to get you home, as soon as it's safe. I promise, Niner." Kissing her forehead once, I moved her hand and let Emily take it from me, saying to the other woman. "Take care of her."

Holding the young girl's hand, Emily nodded firmly. She was already fiercely protective of the girl who had returned her soul to her, who had healed her spirit as no one else could have. I knew that Emily would have died to protect Nine. "I will. We will." She hesitated. "Thank you, for everything, Macbeth. Than you for not letting me... do what I wanted to do." Her voice faltered slightly before pressing on. "I'll make sure nothing happens to her."

"I know." I said to her, and I meant it. I trusted her to take care of my sister. "Good luck."

Nine waved and then the two of them crossed the street to meet Laderbie at the van. They had a long drive ahead of them, and a hard job, keeping both Nine and Emily out of the hands of the authorities, who would doom the world even as they tried to help.

After watching the van pull away, I looked back to Keairan. "I guess I better go then. Before you find a sharper stick."

Rolling his eyes, the man pointed firmly. "Don't tempt me, little girl. You're good, but don't get ****y. That'll just lead to trouble."

"Sure." Often replied, coming up behind me to drape her arms around my shoulders with a laugh. "****y is my job. Macbeth has to be the humble, less funny one." She preened. "I am cute and dangerous and totally the funny one."

Elbowing her slightly, I shook my head. "You may be funny, but I happen to be hilarious." Slipping away from under her arm, I stuck my tongue out at her briefly, then nodded to Keairan. "Thanks for everything. Except maybe the sticks." I started to walk then, down the sidewalk away from the cemetery.

After speaking softly to the wheelchair bound man, Often caught up and continued. "You may be hilarious, but I am mirthful, exhilarating, frolicsome, witty, jocular, and utterly priceless."

Glancing to my best friend after the last bit, I smiled. "That part I can't argue with. You are completely priceless."

Waiting until we reached the end of the block, I finally looked to her, hesitant. "Look, Often. I can't even start to tell you how much I love your help, and your company. But this is too much to ask for you to be involved in. It's dangerous and I couldn't really ask you to--oww!" I rubbed my shoulder where the other girl had punched me.

Keeping her fist raised threateningly, Often shook her head. "Don't even start, Mac. Whatever happens next, I'm with you. Thick and thin, better and worse." Lowering her hand, she smiled. "Besides, I can't let you have all the fun. Where would I be then?"

"Safe?" I offered before ducking away from her slap. "Okay, okay. I won't try to talk you out of it anymore. God knows I need every last bit of help I can get." This of course, was the perfect time for my eyes to roll up into the back of my head as I fell forward while a new vision encompassed my conscience. The fabric of the universe is often threaded by remarkable timing.

By the time my eyes opened, Often had already sat me on a nearby bus bench. She was eating from a bag of peanuts, occassionally tossing a few down for the scattered birds. When I moved, she looked to me. "Everything okay?" She offered me a handful of nuts, which I took.

"Michigan." I said immediately. "Detroit. We have to go to Detroit." My legs were a little wobbly, but I stood anyway, with Often's help.

She frowned. "We're going to Detroit? This really must be the end of the world." Making a face, obviously not wanting to go there, the dryad finally nodded. "Okay, fine, we're going to Detroit. Why are going there? And do we have to stay long?"

"I don't know how long we'll have to stay." I answered while steadying myself and starting to walk once more. "All I know is I saw four kids, three boys and a girl. They were playing in a storm drain and one of them found a leather bracelet with a jewel in it."

As she fell into step beside me, Often squinted. "A leather bracelet? What's so important about that? I mean, I assume you didn't just think it was pretty." She smiled and gave me a nudge with her arm.

Snorting, I shook my head. "I don't know exactly, but I know it's important. I know it's part of the key to stopping Echidna. And.." I hesitated before going on. "I remember the bracelet." To the other girl's questioning look, I explained. "I remember seeing it in my memory of myself back when Nine and I started this whole thing. I was wearing it. Whatever this thing is that those kids are going to find in Detroit, it used to belong to me. And it's powerful."

Often nodded once. "Okay. So we're going to Detroit." Her lip quivered a little and I could hear the whimper in her voice. "Why couldn't they find this thing out where there are actual trees and forests? And, you know, living things?"

I shrugged, offering a sympathetic pat even as I teased her. "I don't know, Oft. I think the smog out there might be gaining sentience. That's sort of a living thing, isn't it?" To her dirty look, I held up both hands and laughed. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I know this is going to be hard on you. Come on, are you ready?"

Heaving a slightly put on sigh, but smiling, Often started to walk once more. "Yeah, I guess so. We're going to have to get something to eat soon though."

When I began all of this, I told you that I have an affinity for the underdog. I may have to go back on that. Because, as powerful as our enemies are, as dangerous as they may be and as impossible as our mission seems, I now had the best friend that I could possibly ask for. And that, to me, made anyone who tried to stop us into the longshot. Whatever happened next on this perilous, amazing journey of mine, I wouldn't be alone.

As I thought about this, I retrieved my Cubs hat from my backpack, which I had picked up from the other girl's apartment. Reaching out, I put the hat on her head. "Looks good on you."

"Babe." Often replied with a grin that matched my own. "I look good in anything." She adjusted the cap, then gestured. "Now let's hit the road, Jack." She raised her fist to me and held it.

Bumping my own fist against hers, I started to walk with her then, as we both intoned in harmony. "And don't you talk back no more, no more no more..."

*****************************************************************************************

INTERIM

Not far from where Macbeth and Often walked together, two men sat in a car. One watched the pair while another spoke in hushed tones into a small cell phone. Both men wore sunglasses, but that was where the similarities between them stopped. The man on the phone, who was at least fifteen years older than the other, wore a crisp short sleeved blue button up shirt, jeans, and his blonde hair was cut military regulation short. The boots that he wore were polished to a sheen. His posture was perfect as he sat in the passenger seat.

By contrast, his dark haired companion wore a white tee shirt, running shorts, and sandals. His fingers drummed the steering wheel as he waited for the other man to finish his phone call. Between the two men on the seat lay several cut out newspaper articles, all about the mysterious girl who had supposedly miraculously saved the life of the kid at the restaurant. On the floor were several new sketches of the would-be savior, each more detailed than the last. Finally, on the dashboard, was Carter Tavelli's badge. The symbol to each man, of what would happen to those who got involved with the abominations.

Once the phone call ended, as the two girls neared the end of the street, the driver spoke casually. "Do we take them?"

The polished man shook his head. "Not yet. The Duke wants us to trail them for awhile. He's already sent a team to follow the others. As soon as it's time, we'll take the lot of them." A slight smirk teased the corners of the man's mouth. "These immortals, these gods and mythspawned creatures think that they can just move back in and take over." His voice hardened. "That's not going to happen. Humanity inherited the Earth, and we'll all be damned to hell before I let them take it back."

Starting the car, the driver pulled away from the curb. "Are you sure you're going to be able to do this?"

"What?" The stiff postured man turned to him with a dark look. "Am I going to be able to kill her?" Raising a pistol, he gave the shortest nod. "Don't ask me that again." Aiming the pistol through the windshield at the two girls, he focused on the blonde, the important one. "When the time comes, I'll put a bullet in her head, just like any other mythspawn. Just like any other Faithless would do."

Watching his companion for signs of weakness, the other man finally nodded, satisfied. "Right, but don't forget, if you hesitate..."

"I know." The passenger never let his posture slump. No hesitation crossed his face. "It won't be a problem. When it's time, she's dead." He inclined his chin, his voice hard and unfeeling. "Macbeth was never my true daughter anyway."
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 06:59:43 PM by Kitulean »

Offline KitsuneMarie

• On the move
  • Gold Donor
  • Fantastic Ms Fox
« Reply #132 on: August 06, 2010, 09:36:57 AM »
ZOMG CERULEAN YOU ARE SO MEAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was AWESOME and I cannot wait for the next installment. Congratulations!!!!
Aluminator's RAFsister

Offline A ghost you know

• Jr. Xtreme Member
« Reply #133 on: August 06, 2010, 11:46:51 AM »
Great work! I can't wait for the next book, especially since you left a cliffhanger at the end of this one... again... :P
Congratulations on making your deadline, too!
RAFdating Horsefan1023 (Seal)! :D

Offline Ash

• RAF Ancient
  • Social Staff Leader
« Reply #134 on: August 06, 2010, 03:07:47 PM »
*long standing ovation*

That was bloody brilliant!
You may have been given a cactus. Doesn't mean you have to sit on it.

Generation One

Keep up with RAF! Twitter | Facebook

Suspicious activity? Bot alert? Report the post or PM a staff member!