Author Topic: Macbeth  (Read 12606 times)

Offline Kitulean

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Kit Army Second
Macbeth
« on: August 05, 2009, 05:30:58 PM »
Note: I actually started writing this over a year ago, before I ever started writing my Animorphs Fanfic. The forum it was on before no longer exists. I found it this morning while working on my hard drive, and decided to put it up here, just for the heck of it. This is not a fanfiction, it is my own story, my own character(s)

Chapter One

“If you can look into the seeds of time, And say which grain will grow, and which will not, Speak.” Banquo – Act I Scene III

Death comes to all those who wait, riding a pale horse across the boundaries of the netherworld. Life, however, needs to take a bus and she might just miss you completely if she happens to fall asleep and miss her stop. She will then spend twenty minutes arguing with the driver of said bus to turn around, get kicked off the bus for insulting his parentage, and then hike eighteen miles to get back to where you were supposed to be only to see the coroner zipping you up.

This is of course the scene that I find myself in, standing in the crowd of onlookers and gawkers while wishing I could just leap over the caution tape and lay on hands that sucker back to life. Or, you know, whatever semblance of such he had before his girlfriend cut his throat with a steak knife. Because well, all other things aside, if your girlfriend buys a new set of cutlery for the sole purpose of killing you with it, not only have you apparently made a few mistakes in your life, but you also have horrible taste in girlfriends.

As I stood in the crowd and tried to think of how to fix this little hiccup, I sighed. It was supposed to be an easy job. Just in and out, stop this guy from dying and move on. Wham, bam, thank you Macbeth. That would be my name, not the play. My parents were huge Shakespeare enthusiasts. They were not, however, big fans of common sense. Out of every play he wrote and with every female character in those plays, they chose to name their daughter Macbeth.

As much as I wanted to go right in front of the crowd and turn ‘dead guy’ into ‘decidedly less dead guy’, it doesn’t work that way. Dead is dead. I can help everything up to the point you cross the line, but there’s no real coming back from that. Besides, I work in secret, and the ten o’clock evening news is whatever the exact opposite of secret is.

I realize that I should explain that I’m not insane. Or, well, I might very well be by this point, but that doesn’t make what I’m saying any less true. If I start rambling about French monkeys with purple trumpets doing hula while planning the Nazi revolution, you can safely close the book and rest assured that I’ve completely lost my mind and there is nothing further of use for you.

Anyway, while being able to play Jesus resurrecting Lazarus and winning instant recognition of everyone in the world might be fun for about ten minutes, it would really kill this whole secrecy thing.

The coroner’s van began to drive off, and I turned to find a phone booth so I could figure out where the morgue was. As I moved, a pale blue glow distracted me. The glimmer surrounded a young boy no older than ten, and I winced. This couldn’t be fun to experience, but I reached out and pushed my hand through the blue light to touch the boy’s shoulder. A single moment of focus later, and I felt the connection snap into place.

Abruptly, I was seeing through the eyes of this ten year old boy. A tennis ball slipped from hand to hand while I looked again to the crowd of people with all the boredom a young boy can muster in the face of a group that isn’t paying attention to him. My sigh was audible, and my mother gave me a distracted angry look that propelled me away from the crowd.

I started bouncing the ball against the nearest wall and catching it. Bounce… catch… bounce… catch. Finally, I threw the ball hard enough that I missed the rebound. It bounced into the street and I charged after it.

The thing rolled across the road, and I lunged. Even as my fingers snagged the runaway ball, I felt a dark shadow fall over me. A scream from my mother tore my attention that way, just as the moving truck slammed into me, instantly snapping my neck from the force and breaking almost half the bones in my small body.

The pain was so intense and real that when I snapped back into my own self, I reeled. The boy was already bouncing his ball against the nearest wall. I shook my head. Not right now. Nobody was dying right here just after I had failed to save the guy I was supposed to.

I briefly considered telling his mother to pull him back to her, but that… usually didn’t end well. Telling a parent they weren’t doing their job never really goes the way you mean it to. Well, okay, sometimes it does, but it never really helps.

Finally, I just sighed and jogged that way. At the last second, as the ball started to bounce past the boy, I snatched it out of midair and started to hand it back to him. The blue glimmer stayed where it was, so I paused even as the boy reached for it. The glow continued to brighten, so I took the ball back. He started to complain, and I turned away. Under the scrutiny of the group of adults as the boy yelled at me, I ran off.

As I ran, I looked back over my shoulder. Just as I reached the corner, the blue light disappeared from the boy, and I let out a sigh of relief. For now, the immediate danger was past.

I slowed to a walk and rolled the ball between my hands. Maybe the boy would die tomorrow from food poisoning. Maybe his mother would lose her mind and kill him herself. Maybe he would last six more years and then be killed the first time he took his brand new car out the day after getting his license.

He was safe right now though, and that’s about all I could manage. I’m not God, after all. I was just a twenty year old college dropout with two dollars and seventy eight cents, a small backpack with a couple books and other things, and a Cubs baseball cap. I love the Cubs. What can I say? I have a certain affinity for the underdog.

Chapter Two

“Things without all remedy should be without regard: what's done is done.” Lady Macbeth – Act III Scene II

Two dollars and thirteen cents later, and I had a double cheeseburger and a spicy chicken sandwich from McDonalds. So my stomach was full, or something resembling that, but now I was down to sixty five cents. Oh yeah, and I still didn’t know how to fix my dead guy problem.

Leaning on one hand and twirling a loose lock of dark blond hair around a finger while idly flicking my other hand against the stray wrapper from the cheeseburger, I seriously considered a new line of work. It wouldn’t be so hard. All I’d have to do is say that I didn’t care about the fate of humanity. You think that sounds bad, but you spend half an hour watching the typical fast food patron and see if you don’t consider it an option.

You think McDonalds is depressing? Try eating there after you kill a guy by oversleeping. I mean, chicken nuggets may be a lot of things, but I don’t think they’ve ever been directly responsible for the destruction of what amounts to an entire time line of the human race.

Maybe I should back up. But I just compared fast food to genocide, and you’re still here. So either you’re a borderline psychotic health nut thinking this is some other book, or I’m mildly entertaining. Either way, we win.

I think I can say it started when I was a freshman in college. That would be about two years ago. I wasn’t anything special up to that point. My grades were so-so. I had a few A’s, a few B’s, a couple C’s in classes no one cares about. I took drama one year, and did a year of girl’s softball, followed by a year of soccer. We won a couple more games than we lost. I broke my ankle in junior year and my boyfriend dumped me two weeks before the prom so I went with a boy I barely knew. So, like I said, completely average.

That is, average up to that third week in college. That was when my life became so bizarre that it would take an entire season of Twilight Zone episodes to fully comprehend.

I was just leaving my last class of the day, a science credit that was more to please my parents than for anything I thought I’d need, when a strange feeling hit me right in the pit of my stomach. It felt like that sudden dropping sensation you get when going down on a roller coaster, where your stomach tries to float up into your lungs.

While my hand grasped out to clutch the wall so that I wouldn’t fall, a name floated up into the forefront of my consciousness. It escaped my lips in a gasped whisper. “Carter Tavelli.” The name was an incredible pressure on my brain, and I said the name again, because saying it seemed to release some of that force. I said the name a third time, and then the address came to me. “Carter Tavelli… Seventeen thirty-seven Oceanic Breeze Avenue West. Zero Two One Zero Four, Boston. Apartment Seventeen.” The address was a pounding sensation within my mind that refused to let up until I had repeated it several times.

A name, address, zip code, and city had popped directly into my mind with such force that my head had felt like it would explode if I didn’t speak them out loud several times, and I had literally no idea who this person was. I had been to Boston a couple of times, considering my college was only a couple of towns north, but I had absolutely never heard of a Carter Tavelli up to that point. However, there was also no doubt whatsoever that he was a real person, and that he lived right there. I didn’t just believe it, I knew it.

The moment the name and address had cemented themselves in my conscience, I felt a violent spurt of nausea rising within me, and I shoved away from the wall, sprinting the short distance to the restroom. Once inside, I threw myself into a stall and fell to my knees, hurling while clutching the walls.

After losing the lunch I never should have eaten in the first place, I caught sight of my reflection in the seat of the toilet. My eyes… they were green, but they were supposed to be blue. Green, why were my eyes green? I found myself staring into these strange eyes, caught up in my own confusion.

Before I could understand this sudden difference, as I lost myself in these blue eyes, I was suddenly pulling back from a mirror. I wanted to blink in confusion, but I was busy shaving. Wait a minute, shaving? The image I saw in the mirror was that of a grown man, maybe in his early forties.

I… or rather, he finished shaving and ran a hand over the newly smooth skin before turning away from the mirror. I or he walked from the bathroom, passing a rather unkempt bedroom. From a dresser in the hallway, we collected a belt with a pistol holster and then a badge. A badge… I couldn’t recognize what type, but it was clipped to the belt and then we pulled a jacket from a hook on the wall and shrugged into it before walking out the door.

We were just out the door when we heard the muffled cry from down the hall. Turning on a dime, we paused for only a moment. A thump and a heated whisper of a threat made us walk closer. The noise was coming from two apartments down. A dried up wreath adorned the door, and an old welcome mat belied the whimpered pleas that could be heard just beyond that door.

Time seemed to stand still for a moment, and then we stepped forward and put a hand on the knob. A very brief test later found it unlocked. Stupid of the person inside, but good for us.

We stepped quietly into the apartment, pulling the gun from its holster on our hip at the sound of a shotgun ****ing from the next room over. Heavy footsteps thumped our way, and the man that entered the room was dragging a pretty black girl by the hair. At the sight of us, the man started to yank the girl in front of him while raising the sawed-off shotgun. Our hand with the gun was already rising, and a moment later the man fell with a bullet lodged just off center from his left eye, and the girl was on the floor screaming but unhurt.

We stepped over to help the girl to her feet, and as her eyes met ours, I had another sudden flash. This girl, she was going to go on and in four years time, she would become a teacher. As a teacher, she would positively touch the lives of most of her students, and one in particular would go on to become a doctor where he would be directly responsible for saving thousands of lives through revolutionary techniques that he would develop.

I saw all of this in the span of a few seconds, and I was as certain of it as I have ever been of anything. It would happen, and the world would be better for it.

A smile had just come when we were suddenly back at the door of that apartment, looking at the wreath and hearing the cry from inside. This time, instead of trying the knob, we stepped away from the door and drew a radio. We called for back-up, and just as the acknowledgment came, the wreathed door was kicked open. Our hand went for the gun on our belt, but the man with the shotgun was faster. There was a sudden explosion, and I felt the man that I was within die, blown away by the twin barrels that erupted with a violence and fury that I had never truly witnessed before.

I felt the man die, and I felt with a certainty that the girl would also die shortly thereafter as the man panicked. She would die and never grow to teach the boy who would have grown into a remarkable doctor and saved so many. Thousands of lives could end before they were meant to because this girl wasn’t saved from death.

A cough and shocked gasp later left me back in my own body, heaving for breath as I stared into the back of the toilet. I was myself, but my mouth formed the words of the man’s name and address once more, and this time I was able to add. “Seventeen hours.”

I knew, deep within my soul with no doubt whatsoever that this would happen in seventeen hours. This girl had that long to live. This world had that long to decide between two time lines, one in which thousands would be saved in due time, and the other in which they would not be. All based on one man’s actions.

One man… who I had to talk to. I pushed myself up from the stall and turned to leave. The name and address came to me again, and I repeated them before leaving the restroom.

I didn’t know what was happening, or why this had happened, but I knew with an utter certainty that simply calling would not work. I had to get there. I had to talk to this man in person. I had to make him choose the right path.

The only problem was that I had no way of getting there.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 11:00:11 AM by Cerulean »

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
Re: Macbeth
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 09:23:23 AM »
Wow, this is fantastic! Amazingly written and I love the way the plot is sounding so far. This is like the kind of story I wish I could write. Please keep writing it because I REALLY want to read what happens next!  :) +1

Have you ever watched Tru Calling? This idea kinda reminds me of that show, but way cooler!  8)
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline Kelly

• Gold Donor
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 07:18:00 PM »
I really, really enjoyed that too. I got into it and wanted to keep reading. Update soon :)
"I always considered myself a loner. I mean, not like a poor-me, Byron-esque, I-should-have-broughta-swimming-buddy loner. I mean the sort of person who doesn’t feel too upset about the prospect of a weekend spent seeing no one, and reading good books on the couch. It wasn’t like I was a people hater or anything. I enjoyed activities and the company of friends. But they were a side dish. I always thought I would also be happy without them."

- Harry Dresden/Jim Butcher, Ghost Story.

Offline CDJV

• Sadist :)
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 02:20:13 PM »
Ooh, this is really really interesting, especially with the macbeth quotes at the beginning of each chapter.

Offline Ash

• RAF Ancient
  • Social Staff Leader
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 12:17:23 PM »
That was incredible, truly incredible. Love where you're going with this. Have you written any more, or is this an finished thing?
You may have been given a cactus. Doesn't mean you have to sit on it.

Generation One

Keep up with RAF! Twitter | Facebook

Suspicious activity? Bot alert? Report the post or PM a staff member!

HiImshort

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 04:03:03 PM »
Wow!!!! Awesome! Awesome! Awesome!  ;D ;D ;D ;D +1

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 05:15:16 PM »
Yeah this is a fantastic story, I'd definitely buy this if it was published. Have you written anymore of it?

Offline Kitulean

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Kit Army Second
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 06:44:25 PM »
Wow, thanks for the input, guys. :) I will definitely write more in this as soon as possible. I've just been really busy with work lately. But thanks! That's definitely enough inspiration to continue.

At some point I WOULD like to clean it up and publish it, but I'll keep writing here so you can see the process as it goes on.

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 06:57:42 PM »
Glad to hear you still plan on continuing it, even more glad you have plans to try and get it published at some point. I definitely think it has potential.

Offline Kelly

• Gold Donor
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 01:11:48 AM »
Well when you get it published I expect to see something like this on one of the cover pages:

Thank you to Phoenix004, Kelly, CDJV, Ash and Android 18. I couldn't have done this without your encouragement.

;D
"I always considered myself a loner. I mean, not like a poor-me, Byron-esque, I-should-have-broughta-swimming-buddy loner. I mean the sort of person who doesn’t feel too upset about the prospect of a weekend spent seeing no one, and reading good books on the couch. It wasn’t like I was a people hater or anything. I enjoyed activities and the company of friends. But they were a side dish. I always thought I would also be happy without them."

HiImshort

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 02:01:34 PM »
Yay!  ;D

Offline Faerie Larka

• The Patron RAFian of Sarcasm
  • God
  • "They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm."
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 04:33:17 PM »
Omg.  Cerulean.  This is awesome.  Keep up the fantastic work!
RAFdating the Ellimist!  :D
Jess is my RAFWanderTwin!!

"Look like the innocent flower/ But be the serpent under't"
-Lady Macbeth

Offline Kitulean

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Kit Army Second
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 03:05:06 AM »
All right! I'm back into writing this thing. It's been a long time since I wrote anything for it, but I like this installment. I hope you do too.

Chapter Three

“I go, and it is done; the bell invites me. Hear it not, Duncan, for it is a knell That summons thee to heaven, or to hell.” – Macbeth Act II Scene I

Barring unforeseen traffic problems, there is about an hour drive between East Vale University where I was attending and Boston. If I’d had a car at the time, that would have been relevant. I didn’t, and the only person I could borrow a car from was my brother Craig, who is Satan’s Apostle on this Earth.

It occurs to me that with the direction this has been going, it might be good for me to add that the Satan’s Apostle title I just bestowed on Craig is my own term and not an actual fact. At least as far as I know it isn’t. Though he did have the issue with the birds, and Aunt Leslie still refuses to go in the backyard.

In any case, you’re completely safe as long as you don’t owe him anything. I would have been better off hijacking a bus at gunpoint, which I considered but dismissed on the basis of not having a gun and being entirely unsure of whether I could actually point it at anyone. No, I was going to have to bite the bullet and ask Craig for a favor, which is tantamount to locking a drunk eight year old inside of a candy store.

It took three hours of butt kissing and dealing before Craig handed over the keys to his car, but he finally did after extracting a written contract of IOU. He was studying to be a lawyer. See the above Satan’s Apostle note.

With the hour drive time, I was down to thirteen hours before what my heaving stomach continued to remind me was d-time. I had an address, but I wasn’t sure exactly where in the city it was. I sat in the car by a Wendy’s for 20 minutes waiting for this intuition thing I had going on to guide me to the address. I nearly beat myself with the tire iron in the backseat when I realized I could have looked up directions back at the University on the net. Or I could just ask someone. I was looking for a mystical divining rod while stepping over the river.

Half an hour later, I was standing in front of the apartment building. This was the right one, I could feel it. My stomach was performing an Olympic level floor routine. A low and nervous breath escaped me while I tried to think of how I was going to convince the man inside that I wasn’t insane.

At some point, you might ask why I was borrowing a car to drive an hour to see someone I didn’t even know instead of checking myself into some kind of asylum. The truth was, I just knew I couldn’t do that. Don’t get me wrong, I was about ninety percent sure that I was insane, but I was also sure that I was right. I’ve found lately that being sane and being correct hardly ever coincide. So yes, I knew that premonitions of the deaths of people I had never met was loco. But I also knew that if I hesitated, delayed, or stalled because of that, a lot of people would die who could have lived. It’s funny how much doubt something like that can make you ignore.

I may have known what I had to do, in theory, but I didn’t know how to do it. Twelve hours left, and I still had no idea how to save this cop guy. Carter Tavelli had a date with heroism or death, and it was up to a confused and scared eighteen year old girl to point him one direction or the other. But you know, no pressure or anything.

It was already dark, pushing nine o’clock. The people around me were heading home to prime time TV and the news. A few of them gave me odd looks, and then turned to see what was so interesting on the building that I was staring at. I heard someone mutter something about drugs and realized that I needed to get off the street.

Well, no time like now time. I started to walk up to the building, ignoring the nerve wracking pounding of my heart as I opened the door.  

I’m not sure what I expected to happen when I stepped inside that apartment building. But whatever it was, I definitely did not expect what did happen.

“Macbeth!” The voice came from behind me and I nearly jumped out of my skin. That’s the thing about my name. If you have a name like John or Sarah and hear someone call it, you don’t know until they’re on top of you if you’re the one they’re talking to. But with a name like Macbeth, unless I’m at a Shakespeare drama camp, it’s a safe assumption that they’re talking to me.

As I turned, I was already wincing. There was only one person who knew me that would have any plausible reason to be here. Then again, considering the plausibility of my being there, it could have been god damn Donald Duck.

But of course, it was the one person I didn’t want to see. “Maisie!” I tried to sound enthusiastic. You know that woman that your mother calls a friend, but you hate because all she does is talk about herself or talk about you like you’re not in the room? Plus you have to clean for three days beforehand and while she’s there all these brand new rules seem to crop up that are never there when she’s gone? Everyone seems to have one of those, and for me, it was Maisie MacFarquhar. Seventy years old when I was a child and god alone only knew how old now, the woman had probably been born an old hen. She was even shorter than me, which believe me is short since I’m barely five foot two if I stretch it, and half again as wide as she is tall. She always wore a hair bonnet as well, like this was the eighteen hundreds or something.

“Oh now, missy. It’s Auntie Maise to you.” The pudgy old coot wagged her finger at me. Great. She was going to go right home and call mom to talk her ear off about what could I possibly have been doing all the way down here. Not that she was actually interested in the truth. She just liked to gossip about everything bad I might be up to. By the time they were done yapping, she’d have it where she walked in on me humping a homeless guy while sacrificing a goat to Beelzebub.

I don’t know why, but for some reason Maisie has always disliked me. Oh sure she’s nice to my face, but she still talks at mom about me like I’m not in the room. And when I’m really not in the room, I hear her going on about how much mom is missing by not having a ‘real daughter’. I tried talking to my mother about it more than once, but mom has this blind spot when it comes to Maisie.

Restraining my sigh even as I started to rehearse the story I’d give my parents when the inevitable phone call came that night after Maisie got done filling their ears with everything bad I was probably doing, I forced a smile. “Of course, Aunt Maisie. You look good.”

“Oh I’m sure everyone looks good to you, Miss Bethy.” The condescending look in the woman’s gaze was enough to make me want to slap it off of her. “If you could keep some meat on your bones and wash that hair with some decent conditioner, you wouldn’t have to see how much better other people look, would you?”

I ground my teeth. “I guess not.” I’d learned not to fire back at Maisie. She just played innocent and complained to mom, which never worked out in my favor. Mom would defend me to the pope himself, but with Maisie, I was always in the wrong.

“Honey, what are you doing down here?” The old bat smiled at me sweetly as she pressed for some kind of answer. Like she cared about the truth. Actually, for a moment I considered telling her just on the off chance that she’d consider me completely losing my mind a better story than whatever she’d cook up to warn my parents about for my behavior.

Finally I just shook my head. No sense peeing on the hornets nest. “I just came to visit a friend, Aunt Maisie. It’s no big deal.” I tried to stress the last part, but I knew it wouldn’t do any good. Visiting a friend, I might as well have said ‘I’m a hooker and I’m here to meet my john.’

I tried to get away, turning back to the building. “I’m sorry, Aunt Maisie. I’ll see you later, but I’ve got to go.”

Her dark eyes bored into me uncomfortably. “You promise me now, Miss Bethy. You come over and sit and chat with me when you’ve finished your… business. I have some things I want you to give your mother. Lord knows she deserves some kind of treats for what she sacrificed for you kids.”

“Sure, sure.” I was almost frantic to get out of there. If I didn’t leave soon, it was going to come down to me or her and I was pretty sure she was a biter. “I’ll visit you as soon as I can.” Oh well, it was hardly the first promise I’d made that I had absolutely no intention of keeping.

“That’s good. That’s better.” Maisie nodded as though mollified and turned to leave. “Honestly, I don’t know how she raised children. I could never raise children. The complete lack of respect…” She continued to mutter to herself as she toddled off.

I sighed and turned to walk into the building finally. In a choice between dealing with an armed psychopath and talking to Maisie for ten minutes, I’d take the psychopath any day of the week.

A minute later, I stood outside apartment seventeen. This was where Carter Tavelli lived. For a brief moment I considered knocking and telling the cop/agent/detective/whatever he was everything. Yeah, because that would work out so well. Hell, for all I actually knew, it was a little old man living there and Carter Tavelli didn’t actually exist.

Speaking of actually exist, I looked at the apartment two doors down. The dried up wreath was there. The welcome mat was there. But I could have guessed those. They weren’t exactly unheard of objects to have.

I had to be sure. Slowly, I walked that way. The hallway was empty, and it seemed like a dropped pin could be mistaken for a gunshot. Okay, Macbeth, now really really wasn’t the time to start thinking about gunshots. Stupid.

With a wince, I reached up and knocked on the door. I just wanted to see if this was the right man. I wanted to see if I was crazy.

The door opened, and I immediately knew that I wasn’t crazy. Or if I was, my insanity was giving me premonitions. Because the man I saw was the man that had been in my vision. This was the bad man, the dark murderer, who in the act of killing one young woman would destroy the hope that hundreds would eventually have had.

“Can I help you?” His smile, the smile of this snake, was sweet. He was the caring neighbor that you might borrow sugar from. But it would be sugar laced with cyanide because beneath his demeanor was the calculation and morality of evil personified.

He didn’t look evil. He didn’t wear a black hat or twirl a mustache or anything. He was a few inches shy of six feet, and looked wiry, like a runner. He had apparently just been in the shower, because his red hair was wet.

I forced the same smile that I had forced with Maisie as my mouth worked for some kind of excuse. “I…” Inwardly, I frantically sought words. All I could think of was what it had been like to feel Carter Tavelli die. “I was just… is… is Maggie here?” I blurted out finally, flushed.

“Maggie…” The man stopped to think for a moment. I had to wonder if he had a dozen women tied up inside and was just trying to remember if any of them had been a Maggie. “No.” He continued to smile. “I can’t say that I know a Maggie.”

“Oh.” I nodded dumbly. “I guess she’s… not here. Maybe she’s one floor down.” Then I just kept nodding.

“Probably.” The reptile continued to smile. “Are you going to check?”

“What?” I blinked, and then winced inwardly. “Oh. Yeah, I’m sorry for bothering you.”

“Oh, it’s no bother.” The wolf in sheep’s clothing, the devil in pink, freshly scrubbed skin waved off my apology. “Good luck finding your friend.”

I have learned better since that day. I have grown into what has become my duty, my calling. But on that day, I was a child. I knew nothing of the world and the evils in it, nothing that I know now. I have learned a lot in two years. But the one thing I have learned most of all is never to turn my back on evil. It was a lesson I learned the hard way.

As I turned to walk away, I learned that lesson for the first time. There was no warning. No violent clash of violins struck the chord in me that danger was near. I could hear no gasp from any audience. Suddenly the man’s arm was around my throat while his other hand covered my mouth.

I fought and cried out, but my cries were muffled. My fight meant nothing to his superior leverage and strength. I found myself jerked backwards into the apartment even as his arm tightened around my throat.

His face leaned close to mine as he tightened his grip even more. “You can’t leave before we play.” As the spots appeared in my vision, I wondered for a moment why I hadn’t seen this coming. I wasn’t the hero. I was a hostage.

I felt his tongue against my cheek, and then the spots multiplied into darkness as my consciousness ran out. And so, I thought then as the last of my thoughts mingled to nothingness, had my time.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 09:34:39 AM by Cerulean »

Offline Kelly

• Gold Donor
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2009, 05:41:06 AM »
loved it :) wasn't expecting that at the end. can't wait to see what happens next...+1 :)

Do you base characters on people you know in real life?

Offline Ash

• RAF Ancient
  • Social Staff Leader
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2009, 05:41:46 AM »
That is so EVIL, leaving us hanging at a time like this! But man, that was still awesome. I felt like strangling Maisie, and actually gasped when the dude grabbed Macbeth :) Thanks for updating us!
You may have been given a cactus. Doesn't mean you have to sit on it.

Generation One

Keep up with RAF! Twitter | Facebook

Suspicious activity? Bot alert? Report the post or PM a staff member!