Author Topic: Macbeth  (Read 12604 times)

Offline Kelly

• Gold Donor
Re: Macbeth
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2009, 05:16:46 PM »
looking forward to it :)
"I always considered myself a loner. I mean, not like a poor-me, Byron-esque, I-should-have-broughta-swimming-buddy loner. I mean the sort of person who doesn’t feel too upset about the prospect of a weekend spent seeing no one, and reading good books on the couch. It wasn’t like I was a people hater or anything. I enjoyed activities and the company of friends. But they were a side dish. I always thought I would also be happy without them."

- Harry Dresden/Jim Butcher, Ghost Story.

HiImshort

« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2009, 06:24:33 PM »
Don't rush!

Offline Kitulean

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Kit Army Second
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2009, 05:23:23 PM »
Hey, guys. :D Thanks for being patient with me. Sorry for the delay. I meant to have this up a couple days ago, but I got sucked into playing Dragon Age: Origins and that's eaten up a lot of time. But here's the chapter and I hope you guys like it.

Chapter Five

"Come what come may, Time and the hour runs through the roughest day." - Macbeth, Act I, scene III

The animal kingdom generally has two responses to stress: fight or flight. Assuming you include hiding as a manner of flight, this encompasses all normal animal tactics. If I was an animal, I would have either bolted out the door or socked him in the nose. He looked to be twice my age, but he was also about a foot taller. I had the embarrassing mental picture of the man tackling me at the door. I didn’t even want to think about how well trying to punch him would go. I’d have to ask him to lean down first.

Fortunately for my pathetically unintimidating stature, humans have invented a third option to the fight or flight combo. We, in all our god-given glory, can lie.

“Who?” I managed to reach down and find my voice where it had been hiding somewhere around my liver. “Sorry, me? Uhhh, what?”

I have, through necessity more than desire, become a much better liar in these past two years than when I began this perilous and peculiar quest of mine. I could already tell, however, that my feigned obliviousness was having no affect on Mr. Tavelli. It could have been his years of investigative training. Or possibly it could have been the fact that I had stared at him in silent and obvious shock for upwards of five seconds before beginning my denial. I believe certain skilled people are able to pick up on subtle clues like that.

Lying was right out then. And I certainly wasn’t going to get very far in a fight. So I went with the last remaining option and tried to walk to the door. If I could just lose him in the city, the odds of him ever finding me again was… about the same as the odds of randomly running into him in a fast food joint hundreds of miles away from where I had last seen him. Crap.

My daring and brilliant plan of walking away was dastardly foiled by Tavelli’s cunning reaction of simply following me. Curse his logic. And his functioning legs, come to think of it.

I could hear and feel him behind me as we both walked to the exit. He didn’t say anything, which was a little unnerving. It seemed like he was waiting until we weren’t in the building, which sort of buoyed my hopes that he wasn’t going to arrest me for fleeing the scene or whatever other crime I had committed back in his apartment building. Healing the dying without a license, maybe? 

After pushing through the door into the parking lot, I started to walk without looking back. I couldn’t tell you why I thought that would work. I was briefly struck by the ‘if I can’t see him, he can’t see me’ mentality. Yes, I was reduced to the tactics of a toddler. This is the woman charged with saving lives on a daily basis, people.

Of course, I couldn’t disappear into thin air, proving that I can scratch the job of magician off any potential career list. My list of available options was rapidly dwindling. I was down to trying to outrun him or suddenly sprouting wings. It was a toss up which was more likely to be successful.

His hand came down on my shoulder, thwarting my ‘ignore him and he’ll go away’ stalling tactic. “Hey.” When he stepped around in front of me to speak, he seemed concerned. “What the hell? You can’t just walk away after something like that. Do you have any idea how long I tried to find you? I don’t even know your name.”

I could just see him trying to put an APB out on a petite female blonde. What was he going to say when they asked for more info? The only other thing he knew about me was that I was that I healed gunshot wounds by hugging people. The thought made me giggle. That was my undoing, because when I looked up at him, he laughed too. It was a short bark of a laugh, and he frowned immediately afterward as though to make up for it. “It was you.” There was no doubt in his voice.

With his hand firmly on my shoulder, I was going to have to either go with the sure to be both funny and painful fight scenario, or tell at least some of the truth. Sighing a little bit, I gave him a short nod. “All right, I was there. So?”

His gaze burrowed into me. “You--" He paused and lowered his voice. “Listen, sister, you saved that girl. She was dying and you saved her.” He sounded like he had spent the past couple years coming to terms with it. I could sympathize, and he didn’t even know the half of it. “Just talk to me for a minute. I’m not trying to arrest you. Hell, I’d be laughed out of the office if I tried. No one’s going to believe any of that crap. But I saw it and I need to know that I ain’t crazy.”

So, final option it was. Maybe I would have had a few more choices if he’d been a creep, or at least a jerk. But he was just a decent guy that had been confused for way too long. In a way, we had a kind of kinship. “Fine,” I spoke reluctantly. “I’ll talk to you. But you have to do something for me first.”

He paused, and I was sure he was going to tell me off, but finally he nodded. “We’ll see if it’s fair. What do you want from me?”

So here it was. This was my option, my way of getting into the morgue to find out what I was supposed to do next. I had to wonder if this was part of the plan all along. For all I knew, all of this, from the moment I had my first vision and got him involved to now when I needed him to open a door for me, had been meticulously plotted.  “I want you to get me into a morgue. I need to visit a body.”

He opened his mouth, paused like he was sorting out the right words, and then responded doubtfully. “Any body in particular or did you have one in mind?”

It really didn’t sound like he was taking my request seriously, and I sighed. “I’m serious. There’s a guy that just died a couple hours ago. I need to see him.”

His eyebrow went up as he considered. I could see the wheels turning in his head as he asked. “Uhhh, were you planning on…”

He couldn’t bring himself to say the words. So I just shook my head. “I can’t. I can’t do that. Not uhhh, not now.” I wanted to avoid explaining as much as I could. Call me Debbie Downer, but I didn’t really trust his ability to stop himself from trying to toss me in a loony bin. Even if he did have to toss himself into the next cell over. The fact that he’d seen it with his own eyes meant little. Over these past years, I’ve come to a realization. The average person’s ability to believe in the supernatural tends to be inversely proportionate to how much evidence they have of it. Give a man a slightly tinted light in the sky and he’ll claim it’s a UFO. Give the same man an obvious alien ship sitting right in front of him and he’ll make up ridiculous excuses for it. Paranoia and hypocrisy are not mutually exclusive. 

“Sure.” The man spoke just as I was trying to decide if running away would have been a better option after all. “I’ll get you in, assuming I can. But you have to tell me who you are, and you have to explain what the hell happened back there.” He raised a finger, practically touching my nose. “Don’t screw me over. I’ve spent the past two years thinking I was insane. Tell me the truth. Who are you?”

Oh boy. Now was the kicker. Did I tell him my real name or did I make one up? My instinct was to give him a fake name, but if it ever came out later, he’d wonder why I’d lied. That could be both dangerous and embarrassing. But he’d have a lot easier of a time tracking me down with my name. On the other hand, he could track my past as much as he wanted for as much contact as I had with it. “Macbeth.” I finally answered him.

He gave that short bark of a laugh once more. “Kid, if you want an alias, you need a more believable one. But okay, ‘Macbeth’, if that’s what you want me to call you. Who’s this guy you need to see?”

This was unbelievable. I give him a real name and he thinks it’s a fake, and isn’t even offended by that. I should have just told him my name with Jenny or something. Now he had my real name, and still he thought I’d lied to him. Plus he thought I was incompetent at lying, which I was absurdly offended by. I give fake names all the time and people buy them, but I try to be honest this time and I get laughed at. Such is my life.

It’s really kind of depressing when I look back to all the hoops I’ve had to leap through to get into some of the places I’ve needed to go for this journey, and then see my new sort of friend show the guy at the desk in the front area of the morgue a single badge and get buzzed right through. If only the powers which chose to provide me with visions of the future and the power to heal the injured had seen fit to toss in a badge of my own. Or at least a certificate or something. I don’t even get dental. Or a salary, come to think of it. I’m pretty sure Gandhi got a better reimbursement deal.

The morgue where my dead guy, David Cellar, had been taken was in the basement of St. Paul’s Hospital. While we walked down the stainless corridor, I studied my companion. “So, what are you, anyway?”

He reached out and opened the door, glancing to me. “Uhh, I’m a forty one year old male and a Pisces?” He cleared his throat. “I enjoy long walks and quiet talks, a good--“

He choked as I pushed my arm into his gut. “I mean, what department are you with? What kind of cop are you?” I walked through the open door and into a large room with several stainless steel tables lining the middle of it, and ominous looking large drawers all along three of the walls. A chill ran through me that wasn’t entirely due to the cool air of the room.

Carter arched an eyebrow before chuckling as he followed me into the room. “Well, I was a homicide detective up in Boston. Then once I finished convincing my entire department that I’d lost my god damn mind and you weren’t anywhere to be found, I pulled up roots and moved down here. I figured Florida would be a good place to go crazy. The nuthouses here are supposed to be top notch. It’s also probably the only way I’ll ever get an ocean view on a cop’s salary.”

I started to nod, and then my attention fell on the table at the far end where a body lay under a sheet, obviously waiting to be examined. “That’s him.” Somehow, I just knew. Call it intuition or common sense. “He’s right there.” Despite my words, I made no move to step toward him. Despite my experiences, I still don’t relish seeing dead bodies. It’s something I don’t think I’ll ever get used to. I don’t want to get used to it.

I knew my face had gone a little pale, because Carter looked to me with concern. “Are you all right? You want me to look at him? What do you need to see?”

Oh, if only all I needed to do was see something. But no, this particular strength of mine didn’t work on a wireless connection. I needed contact. Slowly, I shook my head and stepped forward. “Take it-“ My voice caught. “Take it off. I need to touch him.”

That brought a frown as Tavelli hesitated before sighing. “All right, but this better not just be some way of getting your jollies.”

I heard him sweep the sheet off the body, but I wasn’t looking at it. I couldn’t look at it. I averted my gaze and swallowed. “Does this look like jolly-getting to you?” With an obvious cringe, I raised my hand and placed it against the forehead of the corpse. A wave of revulsion ran through me at the clammy feeling. Finally, I forced myself to raise my gaze. A moment later, I was looking into the eyes of a dead man.

I expected to be drawn into the same vision I’d had before, the one that had brought me to this place. I had seen the fight between David Cellar and his now on the lam girlfriend. I saw his desperation, and her glee when she murdered him. I had seen the way she reveled in her power, and I had seen that she would not stop with only him. I had known there would be others.

Rather than seeing what I had already seen, this vision was new. The woman, the murderer, was driving a van. The man she had killed, or apparently not killed in this particular future, was seated beside her. It didn’t look like a fun family road trip however, mostly due to the gag in the guy’s mouth and his wide eyed expression of horror. He was bound, handcuffed to the opposite door.

I was seeing this particular vision through the eyes of another man who was in the back seat, also apparently handcuffed. The woman was prattling on and on about her destiny and how unfair her life was before she stood up for herself. Neither of us seemed very interested, but our bonds and the fact that she randomly waved a gun around in one hand made us a captive audience.

My wrists were moving, rotating against the metal cuffs that held them. While the woman rambled on, I was somehow picking the lock on the handcuffs, freeing myself. Whoever I was, I felt a strong, urgent need to stop this woman from getting to wherever it was she wanted to go. My head turned to glance in the backseat, and the stack of explosives there kind of gave away the secret of what my rush was.

David caught my eye. He had apparently noticed, and gave me a subtle nod. With a silent count of three, both of us moved quickly. I brought both hands up and grabbed the woman’s arms while David twisted around and kicked her. Within a moment, the woman was subdued and I had leaned up over the seat to catch the abandoned wheel while David shoved his foot down against the pedals.

The woman was caught and the day was won. Of course, that particular vision couldn’t happen since David had been killed already.

When the vision reset itself, I was alone. There was no one in the front passenger seat. The same thing happened. I unlocked my cuffs, I saw the explosives, and I lunged forward to stop the woman. However, without David there to help, everything went immediately to hell. I couldn’t keep my grip on the woman, and there wasn’t anyone to fight her for possession of the pedals. She slammed on the brake and then cranked the wheel, throwing me to the side where my head bounced off the window.

I was scrambling to get back at her before she could get the pistol up. I caught her wrist and we were fighting, neither paying enough attention to the road. I heard an ear splitting shriek as the van plowed through some kind of metal divider, and then there was a horrible feeling of suspension before I saw a yellow wall loom ahead of us through the angled windshield. I had enough time to make out a few details of the schoolbus full of elementary children that we plowed into. Then everything went white as the van crumpled in. An instant later my sight was yanked back to a birds eye view as the explosives in the back of the van went up, obliterating both the van and the bus.

The facts rolled into my head. Thirty two children between the ages of seven and eleven would be killed, as would the driver, and the occupants of the van. Thirty five deaths, all because David Cellar wasn’t around to help.

I must have cried out, because Carter was abruptly standing in front of me, pushing me away from the body. “What?” He demanded. “What is it? What did you see?”

Now I really had no idea what to tell him. Because, not only would it be hard to explain the whole visions of possible futures thing, but there was another problem. Just before the vision had ended, I had seen the rearview mirror and caught a glimpse of myself. Now I had to tell him that not only was a schoolbus full of children going to be incinerated because a man failed to stop a psychotic woman, but I also had to tell him something worse.

I had to tell him that the man was him.

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2009, 06:10:08 PM »
You're VERY good at dramatic chapter endings!  :o

If you haven't already looked into getting this published at some point, I highly recommend that you do. I know I'd buy a copy and I can name plenty of other people who would as well. +1
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

HiImshort

« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2009, 09:48:14 PM »
Wow! Cerulean your gin=ving me shivers down my spine! I can't stand that kind of stuff, but I want more! MORE! +1

Offline Kitulean

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Kit Army Second
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2009, 10:15:52 AM »
So here's a shocker, I've already got another chapter written! I know, please contain your heart attacks. ;) I thought you all deserved a little more effort for your awesome support and comments. Thanks guys, and I hope you enjoy it.

Chapter Six

“What, can the devil speak true?” – Banquo, Act I, Scene III

There are ways to let someone know you have bad news. These range from good ways all the way down to stammering ‘Y-you…’ while staring at them in horror. What little of my brain was currently functioning chose to employ the latter method in this case. It went over about as well as you could expect.

“What?” Carter demanded, putting his hands on my shoulders as though to shake me out of this haze that had fallen over me. “What happened? Talk to me, damn it.”

Oh, he was of that particular breed of humanity that can’t translate inarticulate stammerings.  I was going to have to put a little more effort into communication.

Unfortunately, before I could explain myself in something resembling English, the bang of the door being knocked open interrupted us. I believe I can say that I jumped in surprise without shame, because the big and more importantly, armed policeman beside me did the same thing.

I don’t know what my temporary partner expected to see, but I was this close to a full on dive behind one of these tables with thoughts of bullets spraying the walls. Which would have been embarrassing considering the man who entered came with a map and bucket instead of an uzi, but not nearly as embarrassing as the thought that I could actually dodge bullets. I’m a mediocre player in dodgeball, not Neo for crying out loud.

After casting a sidelong glance to me with a smirk as though he’d sensed my near dive, Carter greeted the new arrival with a polite. “Ahh, hey. Sorry if we’re in your way.”

Seeming just as startled to find the room occupied as we had been at his entrance, the man turned. He was tall and lanky, like Kramer from Seinfeld. He even had the frizzy brown hair. “Oh!” He released the mop handle and started to step forward with his hand out. Unfortunately, this meant that the mop began to fall behind him.

I raised my hand to point with a yelp, but Carter was faster. He lunged forward and reached past the guy to catch the falling mop before it could tip itself out of the bucket.

Even now, I can’t really explain how quickly this happened. One moment, the tall and lanky janitor was half turned with a kind of goofy surprised look. In the next moment, his eyes hardened as he caught hold of Carter’s arm and kind of pulled him around in a half spin as though they were dance partners. The man brought up a second hand, which held a syringe, and deftly inserted it in Tavelli’s neck. Then he simply and gracefully lowered the cop to the floor.

Frozen in surprise, I took a step back when the janitor raised his gaze to me. He seemed less goofy now and more dangerous, like a hyena that just stopped laughing. “There, let him sleep it off. We wouldn’t want to be interrupted, would we, Macbeth?”

The shock that he knew my name hit like a splash of cold water in the face. He was on his feet and stepping toward me then while he withdrew a pistol with an attached silencer from his tan jumpsuit. “I’ve got a few questions for you.”

In the movies, you see the grizzled hero charge into a hail of bullets without a hint of fear. Here’s the truth: guns are terrifying. I repeatedly, consciously put myself in situations where they come into play. But I am still afraid of them. I am not a grizzled hero. When someone points a gun at me, I am more likely to wet my pants than charge at them.

“How…” I struggled with my voice, pressing my back to the cold metal wall of drawers. “How do you know my name?”

He smiled, a disconcertingly open expression. “I’m a big fan of your work. I just had to find you.” His somewhat goofy look was back in full force, though the gun in his hand offset the image a bit. “You’re a remarkable woman, Macbeth. And very hard to find.” He laughed then, completing the earlier hyena comparison. “You can’t imagine what I went through to track you down.”

I swallowed and cast a glance toward Tavelli. What was it with men becoming obsessed with finding me? For that matter, what was it with them all suddenly locating me on the same day? “You could have sent an e-mail. I’ve got a yahoo account I check pretty often.”

His laugh was loud, and distracting. “You’re funny!” He exclaimed as though surprised. “I love that! I’ve got a gun.” He waved it as though I hadn’t seen the damn thing, like my heart wasn’t ramming its way out of my chest at the sight of it. “And you’re being funny. You’re great. Darryll’s going to love you.”

“Does he have a gun too?” I found my voice once more and kept talking. I’ve found in a lot of these situations that talking can be even better than being armed. There are more situations that you can potentially talk your way out of than shoot. This is particularly true when the other side has all the guns. “Maybe I should bring one, just so there isn’t that awkward silence when we all realize that everyone brought a gun but me.”

“There’s that funny again.” The man smiled broadly before gesturing with the gun. “I really don’t want to shoot the funny, so let’s get out of here, huh?”

“Yeah, I’d rather you didn’t shoot the funny too.” I eased myself off the wall and slowly began to walk to the door while my new acquaintance took a step back to keep the gun in line with me and himself out of reach. I didn’t know who he was, but the ease with which he’d incapacitated my cop friend and the way he carried himself in this situation made it clear that he definitely wasn’t your average janitor going postal.

That and what he knew of me was almost enough to make me want to go with him to see who he was. However, I’ve learned enough in these two years to realize that survival trumps curiosity, and you never go the way the pistol wielding nutcase wants you to go if you can help it.

As we neared the door, with him a couple feet behind me, I turned partly to look over my shoulder at him. “Did anyone ever tell you that you look like Kramer?” I timed my question to catch his foot in midair. He paused like that before bringing his foot down as he started to respond. His gun was momentarily pointed to the side.

I did two things then. First, I grabbed the handle of the mop and yanked it out of the dirty water. Then I kicked the bucket so that it slid on its wheels. I may have been mediocre at dodgeball, but I was pretty good at soccer and the bucket was right on target. The man stepped down directly into it. He let out a cry as his foot went partially out from under him while the water soaked his leg.

Before he could recover, I shoved the dirty, wet mop into his face as hard as I could. He sputtered and yelled as the bucket spun one way and his head was shoved back the other way. With a shout, he fell. I heard the slightest pfft noise as his gun fired a shot into the wall.

Praying that he’d stay on me and leave the unconscious Carter to recover, I lunged for the door while dropping the mop. I heard him scream behind me, but I wasn’t listening. I was sprinting through the hallway toward the exit, nearly falling with each stride. This was not a graceful run. This was a desperate, frantic race. I stretched my legs as far as they would go with each step, windmilling my arms as though it would make me go faster as well as to keep my precarious balance. Tripping right now would be far more than simply embarrassing.

I heard the door bang behind me and nearly had a stroke at the thought that it was a gunshot. Somehow the reminder that the man’s gun was silenced so I wouldn’t hear the shot that killed me wasn’t very reassuring.

The exit was just ahead and I ignored the pseudo-janitor’s shout as I slammed through it and into the front reception area. There was no sign of the clerk that had been manning the desk, and no indication of anyone else. This place was as empty as a… morgue. Oh yeah.

I didn’t waste time worrying about where anyone was. Instead, I hit the door to the stairs at full tilt. There was an elevator, but I couldn’t exactly wait for it to come down. Besides, with my track record today there’d be a third guy that’s become obsessed with finding me standing in it.

The stairs creaked as I raced up them, nearly crashing into the wall at the landing before managing to turn and keep running. I could hear footsteps below as the man continued to chase me. His furious shouts were inconsequential, but I had to stay out of his line of sight of his gunfire wouldn’t be.

At the next landing, I had a choice. There were stairs going up to the first floor of the hospital, where there were people and potentially, security. Or I could go through the door here marked Parking Garage. On the one hand, if I went up there were witnesses. On the other hand, I couldn’t be sure that this guy wouldn’t shoot them anyway.

I couldn’t put other people in danger like that. Not without knowing anything about what this guy was likely to do. I shoved the door open and went through it.

There were exits at either end of the dimly lit parking garage. Unfortunately, I wasn’t near either of them. And the gun-wielding janitor was right behind me. He’d be here any second, too quickly for me to make a run for the ramps that led out of the lot. Instead, I dropped to the cement floor and rolled under the nearest car.

I heard the door crash open as the man ran through it brief seconds after I managed to pull myself out of sight. “Hey!” He shouted and for a moment I was afraid that he’d seen me. Then I realized that he was listening to his own echo. “Macbeth! Come out.”

He took a step, and I realized that he was going to bend down to look under the cars. Quickly, but quietly, I continued my roll to come out on the other side of it. Keeping low, I brought myself up in a crouch, hiding behind the tire as I listened to the scraping of the man kneeling to look underneath the cars on either side.

My heart beat rapidly, pounding against my ribcage as the man spoke in a quieter tone. “You’re in here. I know you’re in here, Macbeth. Come on, I need to talk to you.” There was another scrape of a footstep and I strained my ears, trying to figure out if he was getting closer or further away.

“Someone’s going to die if you don’t help me.” His voice was low, like he knew I was close enough to hear even if he whispered. The echoes of this place were playing havoc with my ability to tell where he was. I couldn’t breath. Slowly, I leaned down to peer under the car with my heart in my threat.

I almost didn’t see his feet, but then he spoke again and I found him toward the front of the car. “You don’t want that to happen, do you?” He hadn’t seen me yet, but if he kept walking the way he was, he would any second. I stayed in a crouch and quickly moved around to the back of the car. He kept moving and so did I. In a moment, we had changed positions as he stood on the side of the car I had just been hiding behind.

“Macbeth.” His voice could have been a plea if it hadn’t sounded so threatening. “You’re going to help me. You’re going to help Darryll.” There was a tinking sound which I belatedly realized was him tapping his pistol against the side of the car.

Too afraid to breath, I slowly pushed myself away from the car. I leaned over to look under it and nearly had a heart attack when I saw him. I realized after my brief moment of terror that I was looking at the back of his head as he crouched to peer under the car on the other side. He continued his one sided conversation. “Do you know why you’re going to help us?”

All he had to do was turn his head slightly and he’d see me. With my fear choking my breath from me, I quietly pushed my way backwards. I took one crouched step after another, tenderly putting my foot down each time for fear of making any sound. Gradually, I eased myself to the next car in line away from this one while staying as low as I could.

I didn’t answer the man, but he didn’t seem to care if he had to talk to himself. “You’re going to help us because it’s the kind of person you are. And what I’m going to do if you don’t, well, that’s the kind of person I am. Think about it.”

There were quick footsteps and I flattened myself against the other side of the car that I had just hidden behind. Briefly, I was afraid that he’d known where I was all along and had just been playing with me. But the footsteps stopped before reaching the car, near the door that we had come through.

He spoke again. “I’ve got something for you. Take a look at it. Decide if staying away from me is in your best interest. Because if I don’t get what I want, I’m going to be disappointed.”

There was a brief rustling of papers, and then a muffled thump as something hit the ground. The man stood silently for a moment as we both waited for the other to make the next move. Then I heard the door creak as he opened it. “Meet me at the bird statue in Leland Park in three hours.” With that, he stepped through the door and let it close behind him. I heard him whistle.

I stayed behind the car for another five minutes, afraid that it was a trick and he’d throw the door open and grab me the instant I stood up. But finally I had to take the chance. Gingerly, I slowly rose from my crouched position and winced as pain shot through my cramped legs.

“Ow.” I bit my lip and slowly stepped around the edge of the car to glance down at what the man had dropped. It was a plain looking manilla folder, full of papers that had partially fallen out.

Slowly, I stepped over to the folder and, with a wary eye on the door, leaned down to pick it up. Once I straightened, I saw my name on the folder, scrawled in black ink. “What the…” My question trailed off as I opened the folder to find what the man had thought would bring me to him.

I had thought that my shock was over. I was wrong. Inside the folder were medical records, school reports, field trip permission slips, everything from my life. He had my record, all of it. There was even a photocopy of the one speeding ticket I’d gotten three weeks after getting my license. He had it all.

And under the last bit of paper was a single photograph that was turned over. Gingerly, I pulled it out and flipped it around. Then my heart sank and I closed my eyes briefly. But when I opened them, the picture was still the same.

The photograph was of my parents, obviously taken without their knowledge at some kind of out door restaurant. The message was made as clear as it could be. Around both of their heads, a bullseye had been drawn. If I didn’t help this man, my parents were his next targets.

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2009, 12:43:03 PM »
Wow.  Your writing is amazing!  The style kind of reminds me of Bartimaeus, with the sarcastic, biting humor you have going on.  But that's nothing compared to your plot and characters!  It's been a long time since I've read such a suspenseful story that I felt that I could barely breathe, and that's what your story is!

I'm glad you're going to publish this.  I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

+1

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2009, 06:41:01 PM »
It reads like a witty, fast-paced action movie. Great work.  :)

HiImshort

« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2009, 07:11:19 PM »
Wow Cerulean! This is great ad addictive. I too would buy this if you got it published.

Offline Kelly

• Gold Donor
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2009, 05:47:20 AM »
wow, thanks for the two chapters! You're spoiling us :) that was fantastic as usual. I was really feeling Macbeth's fear!

I agree with Mike, you have a knack for writing dramatic chapter endings :P love it.
"I always considered myself a loner. I mean, not like a poor-me, Byron-esque, I-should-have-broughta-swimming-buddy loner. I mean the sort of person who doesn’t feel too upset about the prospect of a weekend spent seeing no one, and reading good books on the couch. It wasn’t like I was a people hater or anything. I enjoyed activities and the company of friends. But they were a side dish. I always thought I would also be happy without them."

- Harry Dresden/Jim Butcher, Ghost Story.

Offline Faerie Larka

• The Patron RAFian of Sarcasm
  • God
  • "They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm."
    • Facebook
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2009, 02:39:00 PM »
Ahhh, this is so great :D

Seriously, if you don't get this published...
RAFdating the Ellimist!  :D
Jess is my RAFWanderTwin!!

"Look like the innocent flower/ But be the serpent under't"
-Lady Macbeth

Offline Kitulean

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Kit Army Second
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2009, 05:02:38 AM »
Thanks Dino. I've heard about Bartimaeus, but I've never actually read it. Maybe I should.

And thanks guys, I love the encouragement. It makes me wish I could write faster, because I look forward to your responses every time I post a new chapter. I hope you like this one. Enjoy it!

Chapter Seven

"Screw your courage to the sticking-place." -Lady Macbeth, Act I, scene vii

If there are words to describe how much I longed to walk away from all of this, my vocabulary has yet to include them. Personally, I blame my dad for pushing Battleship instead of Scrabble on all our game nights. Sure, I can sink your fleet in a cross pattern grid search. But unless I'm drafted and promoted to Admiral in some absurd war where ships remain perfectly still, that doesn't help me nearly as much as a deeper command of language would.

Suffice it to say, I was scared. I also needed to pee. The two feelings were not unrelated. The adrenaline that had been pumping through my system left my shoulders heaving as I panted. My legs wouldn't hold me up and I slumped a little against the car hood while my gaze remained riveted on the folder that I held.

For a few moments, I let the shakes take over. I didn't know what that man would have done if I'd let him catch me, but it wouldn't have been candyland and reindeer games. I've dealt with a lot of crazies in this perilous voyage of mine, but something about this one stood out. Maybe it was just the fact that he knew me, or the effortless way he'd dispatched Tavelli. But I had a feeling, the kind of feeling that I've come to trust, that it was more than that. There was nothing pedestrian about the evil within the man I had just met.

I've seen them before, the special brand of crazy, because  original recipe sociopaths get boring after awhile. They infest this world like worms within an apple, tainting society's crisp, fresh flavors with their ooze. But even with all of my experience these past two years, I had never met a man who affected me quite the way that this creature did.

I wanted to run away. I wanted to make someone else deal with this. I was twenty years old for god's sake. I wasn't trained. I wasn't some super spy. I couldn't deal with some professional killer stalking me or my family. This was way out my bounds big. I was supposed to be in college, goofing off and getting some idea of what I wanted to do with my life. It wasn't fair, and it shouldn't have been my problem.

It shouldn't have been, but it was. It was my problem. Because if I had been the type of person who could walk away, my life wouldn't be nearly as complicated as it is. I was scared, and I was out of my league, but I was going to have to deal with it. There was no back up, no reinforcements, and no safety net.

I let my breath out at that, watching my hand until the shaking stopped.  I could let myself curl into a ball and cry about the unfairness of the world, or I could move and do something about it. I chose to do something.

After shoving the folder into my backpack, I made my way back inside and down to the room where I had left Tavelli. I had to make sure he was okay. And besides, there was still the exploding schoolbus problem, which wasn't going to magically solve itself just because I had my own issues. The truth is that if the world sees you have too much to deal with, its most common reaction is to give you even more to deal with. At the current rate of expansion, I fully expect the universe to point me at an imploding star with an expectant look any day now.

When I got back to the morgue, the assistant or secretary or whatever he was still wasn't anywhere to be seen. I found Tavelli picking himself up off the floor with a dazed expression and quickly moved to help him stand. "You don't look too good." I noted the obvious with a wince. "Sorry. I'm sorry, are you okay?"

For a moment, Carter looked like he was rewinding the previous events through his mind. When his expression clouded in confusion, I knew he was replaying them yet again to be sure he hadn't missed something. Apparently he came to the same conclusion because he jerked his head around to stare at me. "That was no ****ing janitor!"

"Nice of you to catch up." I replied, dryly. Then I spoke in a bright, airline stewardess voice, complete with hand gestures. "Thank you for joining us on Plot Airlines. The captain has asked that you keep your seats in the upright and locked position as we make our way through some of the turbulance of the B Plot. Off to your right, you may be able to make out the tell-tale signs of the A Plot, which our captain will be swinging the plane toward any moment now."

My reward for entertaining him was a raised eyebrow as he rubbed the back of his neck. "You're a strange kid, you know that?" His brow knitted in a frown. "What happened? Where'd that guy go? What the hell did he want?"

The thing was, I could probably trust Tavelli. The universe, after all, had directed me to him more than once. He was, I was certain, a decent guy that I could count on. But I still didn't want to put all my eggs in one basket. Besides, I wanted him to focus on the bus thing. The janitor, or whatever he was, I could deal with on my own. Or if I couldn't, I didn't want to drag Tavelli down with me.

So I lied. I told you I was good at it. "I don't know. He chased me out of here and I lost him in the parking garage. I guess he took off." The best way to lie, I've found with my now extensive experience, is to tell the truth except for certain details.  That and to be vague. People don't usually get specific unless they're making something up.  Let the audience fill in most of the blanks, because they're more likely to believe it that way.

It worked. Tavelli stared at me searchingly for a moment, then gave a short nod. "Let me get a unit down here. We'll find what he touched, see if any of the cameras caught him. He's not a ghost. I'll find out what he wanted."

I tried hard not to flinch.  "No. How are you going to explain why you were down here? Because I'm sure as hell not giving a statement." He opened his mouth to argue, but I cut him off. "What exactly do you want me to say? No one would believe it. At best, your squad or captain or whatever thinks your trying to impress some college chick you wanna bang. At worst, they toss us both in the nuthouse."

His gaze stayed locked on mine briefly, but then he relented with a sigh. "You're right. Fine, so we do it the hard way. Just keep an eye out for him. What did you ahhh..." He gestured back toward the body on the table. "... find out?"

This was going to be the hard part. I hesitated before turning back to the door. "Come on. I have a feeling you're going to want to be sitting down when you hear this." I paused before adding contemplatively. "And possibly be plastered."

"Wait. Wait, wait wait. You want me to believe that you can see the future and it tells you who's going to die? And you just go around making things better?" You could have broken steel over the sharp edge of Carter's skepticism.

We were sitting on the hood of Tavelli's car in the parking lot about an hour later. I had done everything I could to explain almost everything to him. He was pretty much in denial, and kept interrogating me about insignifigant details, as though trying to trip me up on my story. It was obvious that he couldn't help but think I was at least a little bit out of my mind.

Not that I blamed him, but I was still annoyed. So I shot back. "Oh so you were on board with the whole 'healed a dying girl with the power of my mind' thing, but seeing the future is too unrealistic?" With mock curiousness, I asked. "Where exactly is the line? Is it specifically seeing the future or is it the whole multiple futures thing? Where do we hit the spot where this couldn't possibly happen, but everything else could?"

He gave me an annoyed look, but I just shrugged at him. I was tired of defending myself. After a moment, he let out his breath in a sign of acceptance. "Okay, fine. You've got a point. None of this is exactly believable, but I know it's gotta be." He put his hands up to cover his face as a long sigh escaped him, and I belatedly realized that he had been fighting the truth not so much because he didn't believe me, but because he didn't want to think about that kind of responsibility. And that was something I could fully understand. "Damn."

"Damn." He repeated himself before moving his hands with a deep breath. "Right. I can't just do nothing. If the woman has a bomb, she might detonate it somewhere worse than a schoolbus full of kids."

I thought carefully. "Two schoolbuses full of kids?" I shrugged. "I can't really see it getting a lot worse than that, but you're right. It's not going to get much better either. She could be trying to blow up a building full of lawyers or something, but I'm not usually that lucky." At his dirty look, I coughed. "Sorry. Blowing anyone up is bad. So, what are you going to do about it?"

He ran the back of his hand over his mouth thoughtfully, then stood up. "First, I'm going to find out who this woman is. You said she was dating our stiff in the morgue, so I'll start there. We'll find out who she is, then go to her place. With any luck, we'll catch her at home before any of what you saw goes down."

"And when that doesn't work out?" I asked him not so much out from a doubt of his capabilities as from an even greater respect for the universes ability to make life difficult. "When you find out she's gone without leaving a clue of where she went, what then?"

I had the sense that he'd already been thinking along the same lines. "Well, then I'll go from there. Even if we can't find out where she went, something in her place has got to give us an idea of what or who she might want to blow up."

That much made sense, so I nodded. "Great. You have fun with that. I've got stuff." I slid off the hood of the car and hitched my backpack up once more.

Tavelli paused with his hand on his door, then reached into his pocket and passed a business card to me. "Call me. My cell number's on there. Check in, and..." He hesitated before going ahead. "Be careful. This isn't a game." He raised a hand to forestall my retort. "I know, you already know that. But I'm a cop, and I've been a dad. I give advice. It's what I do. Just watch yourself."

I took the card and gave him a quick nod before turning from the car to walk away. Baring my soul, telling someone for the first time what I had been doing was an incredible experience. It was a relief in some ways, to be able to share my reality with someone else. And yet, I still hadn't told him everything. He had no idea that I had to go and meet with this janitor-assassin, or that my parents were being threatened. Maybe it was stupid. Maybe he could have done something. But it would have taken his focus off of stopping Little Miss Muffet who was going to sit on her tuffet and blow the hell out of something. Besides, this problem was personal.

When I finally made it to the so called 'bird statue' a couple of hours later, I missed the deadline by about fifteen minutes. It wasn't entirely my fault, since I had been looking for an actual statue of a bird when the meeting place was actually a statue of some random explorer that birds tended to sit and poop on. The fact that I really didn't want to show up at this meeting was inconsequential. I blamed Mr. Ninja-Custodian for not being specific enough. I'm still working on the phrasing of the argument that places him solely responsible for global warming and the stock market crash of 1987, but give me time.

I showed up next to the statue and turned in a slow circle. There were some kids playing with a frisbee and their black lab about twenty yards off, and their mothers were watching them from a blanket, but other than that the area looked empty.

Of course, I am obviously not trained assassin secret agent commando who takes the odd job sweeping floors, because somehow my old janitor buddy managed to pop up directly behind me when I had just been certain there was no one there a second earlier. His voice startled me. "You're late."

I jerked around and tried to breath. He was close, way too close. I fought down my nervousness and made myself sound casual. "Yeah well, sorry. Maybe next time you should be more specific with your directions. You wouldn't point someone to the Statue of Liberty by calling it that  one statue with the stairs."

The man chuckled, sounding genuinely amused. "I'm sorry. That's what the people around here call it.  I should remember that this isn't home for you. But then, what is nowadays?" His tone left it unclear of whether he was actually asking or pointing out that I had no real home. I figured that wasn't an accident. But I wasn't going to volunteer anything he didn't already know.

"Home is where the heart is." I responded brightly, then asked. "Speaking of which, is yours still in your chest or did you bury it with your phylactory?" When he squinted at me, obviously not understanding, I started to explain before waving it off. "It's a lich--oh never mind. What do you want?"

The man laughed slightly. "What do I want? I want a great many things, Macbeth. But first, I want you to tell me everything you've done since you were awakened."

"Everything since I woke up?" I retorted with an insolent shrug. "Do you mean this morning or after my nap on the bus?"

He frowned, unamused. "Stop being difficult, Macbeth. You know what I'm talking about. I want to know what you've been up to since your powers emerged. I want to know where you've been running around and who you've been talking to. It's time to be honest. Remember, you don't want me to get annoyed, or bored."

"Oh gods no, I wouldn't want you to be bored." I replied with fear that I really had to work to make sound fake. "You might mop a floor and then break someone's neck. Or you might get confused and mop someone's neck and then break a floor."

He began to reach out and I held my hands up defensively. "Fine, fine. Okay, don't kill me. But tell me something first. How do you know me? Who are you?"

The nature and occassional inherant ridiculousness of my journey has brought me so many surprises that you would think that, despite the contradiction of terms, I would stop being surprised by them. However, nothing I had learned so far could have prepared me for the answer that I recieved.

The man himself remained smug and silent, like a cat who had just eaten the canary. Given the man's evil, I couldn't entirely rule out that he had swallowed both bird and feline. The response came from, as you've already guessed if you have any sense of both drama and my life, behind me. When I heard it, I turned with the look of dread, shock, and horror that must meet any door to door cutlery salesman that finds himself on   OJ Simpson's stoop. I prayed that lightning would strike one of us. At the moment, I wasn't exactly picky about which one. 

But as much as I tried to wish I hadn't heard, the voice rang through my head like the clanging of bells high atop Notre Dame, a building I would gladly have thrown myself off of rather than finish turning around to face that vile creature.

The voice that grated my nerves had spoken as sweetly as cyanide laced honey. "Oh now, missy. I think that answer should be faintly obvious, shouldn't it? He's my son."

Aunt Maisie gave me a look that was equal parts critisism and amusement. "And here I thought you'd be able to work just a few things out on your own without having them spelled out for you." When I opened my mouth, she brought her hand up and pressed her wrinkled finger to my lips with a clucking of her tongue. "Shush now. You've done enough talking, haven't you, Little Busybody?" She smiled, obviously satisfied with herself. "Yes, yes I believe so. It's time you listened."

I turned my head slightly to the side and rolled my eyes toward my old friend the murderous janitor. "Can I change my mind on that whole killing me now thing?"

Ignoring my comment, the man took my arm. "Let's get out of here. I don't like these open places. She could have told someone."

Maisie just laughed that off. "Of course she didn't. She wants to protect 'mommy' and 'daddy'." She gave me a patronizing look and reached up to ruffle my hair with an airy laugh as though something had just occured to her. "The poor little dear." She met my gaze, feeding off my reaction to her next words. "You know, I think our little project still believes she's actually human."

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2009, 03:51:55 PM »
How are you still managing to come up with epic cliffhangers at the end of every chapter?  :o

HiImshort

« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2009, 04:44:31 PM »
i have never seen any book with somany cliffhangers. Bravo Cerulean! +1

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2009, 07:19:18 PM »
Holy crud that was an epic twist!  :o

You are such an awesome writer!  I hope you come out with the next chapter soon, 'cuz I don't know how long I can wait to see what happens next!