Author Topic: Morphing and Tattoos?  (Read 3472 times)

Offline Homiegee

Re: Morphing and Tattoos?
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2009, 07:57:52 PM »
Would have to agree with people who said that it relies on a person's thoughts. If you didn't want the tatoo or scar you could concentrate on yourself being "whole" I guess. And then injuries are healed automatically. Otherwise it just draws the same mass from Z-space, so the ink and coloring from the tatoo would come back to the morpher if it wasn't willingly discarded.

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2009, 09:58:30 PM »
Sorry to bump this old thread up, but I had another couple questions on this topic.

If someone/thing was acquired that had a tattoo, would the person morphing them also get the tattoo? Also, if you had a tattoo on your normal form, but were injured and somehow had the patch of skin/flesh with the tattoo cut/burned off or something, would it come back if you morphed and demorphed?

Well, since morphing uses DNA, the answer to the first question should theoretically be 'no,' since the DNA has no way of knowing about the tattoo.  But going back to the 'biological computer' explanation I mentioned earlier, it might be possible, so long as the morpher knew about the tattoo.  After all, the morphing technology seems to be able to mimic haircuts, age, and other features that DNA alone would not specify.

Another question to ponder.  What of identical twins?  I've known cases where so-called "identical" twins actually looked nothing alike (different height, facial features, etc.).  I even heard somewhere that identical twins actually have different fingerprints.  Yet, they still have the same DNA.  So what would happen if you tried to morph one of them?  How would the morphing technology know which of them to morph?  Could you acquire one of them and then use that DNA to morph the other?

As for your second question, Think, that's a good question to consider even after you take into account my little theory of how the morphing tech works.  I guess it would depend on whether or not the 'biological computer' takes your memory as it is (i.e., if you know that your tattoo ought to be gone, the morphing computer would know it, too), or whether you can concentrate and override it.  I think it's probably the first one, though.  What Rachel said in book #2, about how she hated her haircut but that morphing couldn't fix it, suggests that the theoretical 'morphing computer' I've been talking about takes your memories as you know them to be true, and you can't trick it.  Meaning that burning or cutting off a tattoo would probably remove it, I think, since the computer would know just as well as you do that it should be gone.

After all, if you could just concentrate hard enough and trick the morphing computer, you could add all sorts of features to yourself that weren't there before.  Maybe you could make the morphing computer think you had filed your teeth into points, or grown your fingernails into claws, etc.

. . . Come to think of it, though, why the heck would the Andalites have made it so you couldn't do that?

Offline voodooqueen126

« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2009, 10:03:22 PM »
obviously you couldn't acquire a tattoo, even with a conscious decision, i think this is a way to preserve desired modifications in your own body,(like circumcision, tattoos, ear piercings, repaired teeth etc) but not to copy modifications in the creature whose DNA you acquire... having said that fingerprints aren't genetic (they are caused by womb conditions or something) so would any acquired human have fingerprints at all?

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2009, 11:22:27 PM »
obviously you couldn't acquire a tattoo, even with a conscious decision, i think this is a way to preserve desired modifications in your own body,(like circumcision, tattoos, ear piercings, repaired teeth etc) but not to copy modifications in the creature whose DNA you acquire

But what, exactly, is the difference between morphing a creature and demorphing to your own body?  In both cases, the body is re-constructed (or constructed) from DNA alone.  If you can keep a tattoo when you demorph, you should be able to morph someone who has a tattoo, since it doesn't seem to me like there should be any difference between those two cases.

Offline Homiegee

« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2009, 11:19:25 PM »
having said that fingerprints aren't genetic (they are caused by womb conditions or something) so would any acquired human have fingerprints at all?

That's a good point. An acquired human wouldn't have a belly button either, lol.

But as some people have suggested, if when you acquire a morph the morphing technology makes a "copy" of that animal/person is it would allow for the saving of fingerprints just as it saves the age of the animal/person.

But also by that same logic, tattoos could be acquired along with a morph unless the morphing technology distinguishes between biological and non-biological mass when acquiring. Just as the morphing technology also seems to distinguish between injuries and scars.

Offline goom

• the underling of underlings
  • Administrator
  • no other distinguishing characteristics.
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2009, 11:20:54 PM »
What about men who are circumcised  or women who have had FGM? Maybe people can decide what scars etc they want.

that'd be pretty cool.

they could use morphing technology to remove unwanted scars.

Offline dasada122

« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2009, 09:25:47 PM »
Perhaps you keep the scars that define you, the ones that factor into your mental image of yourself.  That would also explain why you always keep a full head of hair.  It would also mean that you would never need a haircut, because you always imagine it to be what you expect it to be.
Man has earned his right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone totally bat**** insane.

Offline voodooqueen126

« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2009, 02:11:18 AM »
no belly button=nightmare fuel.

Offline dasada122

« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2009, 09:09:10 AM »
Well, I suppose belly buttons are a form of scar, after a fashion.
Man has earned his right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone totally bat**** insane.