Author Topic: Animorphs Book 56: The Rebirth  (Read 12574 times)

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
Re: Animorphs Book 56: The Rebirth
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2009, 03:26:53 PM »
Chapter 16 (Tobias)

I felt like I'd just grabbed onto an electric wire when I heard the tan Arn's words. I'm pretty sure I actually jumped.

Rachel was alive!

"Where? How?" I stuttered, incredulous. The first pang of shock was wearing off, and more vivid emotions were surfacing now. Intense joy, sadness, regret, bittersweet nostalgia, excitement, all-but-forgotten love. All at once.

The other two Arn looked strangely at me. "Quanisidaron? Are you feeling alright?" the blue one asked.

"No, I'm not. Please, just take me to Rachel. I'll . . . explain later," I managed to say.

Both Arn looked uncertain, but after a moment's hesitation the tan one began to lead the way towards the exit of the cavern. I eagerly followed. A group of two humans and the Andalite I'd noticed earlier were all watching me suspiciously, but a Hork-Bajir said something to them and they seemed to calm down.

I followed the tan Arn up the walkway and out of the city. We walked along the edge of the chasm for a while, before arriving at another deserted Arn ghost town. The Arn led me down into one of the rooms, where I could see a faint blue glow. After my eyes adjusted to the low light, I saw that the glow was from a force-field, inside which was a Hork-Bajir.

"Okay, there she is. Now tell me, what's gotten into you? You aren't acting yourself. Hmph. Not that I'm complaining, of course," the tan Arn said with distaste.

I ignored her. I walked, as fast as Arn legs could carry me, straight towards the Hork-Bajir. "Rachel?" I called out nervously.

"Yeah?" the Hork-Bajir said defiantly. "What do you want?"

I closed my eyes for a moment, trying not to cry. Yes, that was Rachel, alright. I would know that sarcastic, defiant tone anywhere.

"It's me! I'm Tobias!" I yelled, my Arn voice cracking.

The tan Arn rounded on me. "You're who?" she said angrily. "I want an explanation, right now!"

"Tobias!" Rachel exclaimed. "What are you doing here?" Then she narrowed her eyes at me. "Are you really Tobias? Or is this some sort of trick?"

I began to demorph. Rachel gasped. The tan Arn screamed. "Who are you, and what have you done with Quanisidaron?!" she said.

<What's going on?!> Cassie demanded. <Why are you demorphing?>

<Relax,> I said to the Arn. <I only morphed him. I'm sure he's fine.>

To Cassie, I said, <Long story. Can't talk now. I'll fill you in later.> I'm not sure why I didn't at least mention Rachel to Cassie. I guess maybe I wanted those first few moments with her to be mine alone. In any case, Cassie didn't say anything more.

"You're . . . an Animorph?" the tan Arn said, sounding scared. And she should be, I thought, after what she said about using Rachel to bargain with the Yeerks.

But then her look changed to one of excitement. "You can help us!" she said happily, her eyes sparkling with hope. After a moment, she composed herself again, cleared her throat, and said, "How about this. I'll give you Rachel if you help free my people from the Yeerks."

"I'm not a bargaining chip, Arn," Rachel growled.

<How dare you!> I demanded, furious. <She's a human being!>

The Arn only shrugged. "Semantics," she said. "We Arn are beings, too. Do you or do you not accept my proposal?"

Once my anger at the insolence of the Arn subsided a little, I quickly realized that, my own resentment notwithstanding, this arrangement might actually be a good thing for everyone concerned. We had come here to stop the Yeerks, after all. So there was no reason why we shouldn't get Rachel back at the same time.

Before I said anything, I looked to Rachel for approval. After a moment or two, she grudgingly nodded. She obviously wasn't happy about this, but she'd seen the same logic that I had.

<You've got yourself a deal,> I told the Arn. <Now, what's this about the Yeerks?>

"They're using us as slaves," the Arn said. "They're forcing us to design mind-control devices for them, which they plan to use to begin a new takeover."

<Mind control!> I exclaimed. <No wonder they wanted to keep this a secret. What else? Do you know where the devices are being kept?>

"The actual devices are hardly important," the Arn said dismissively. "What's important are the blueprints. They've got copies of the designs in the Arn city, and then backed up on a computer in one of their Blade Ships. You'd have to destroy both, as well as any actual devices."

<Sounds easy enough,> I said.

"And beyond that," the Arn continued. "I need you to get word out about what's happened here, or the Yeerks will simply keep doing what they're doing, and force us to re-create the devices again."

<If word gets out about this, things could very easily spiral out of control,> I said hesitantly. <The Andalites might retaliate, and could start a new war.>

"I don't care!" the Arn raged suddenly. "This can't go on! My people are dying! The Yeerks have to be stopped!"

<Calm down. We can stop them on our own,> I said.

"How?" the Arn asked.

<We've stopped the Yeerks before, we can do it again,> I said simply.

The Arn pondered that for a moment. "Alright," she said at length. "But if your plan doesn't work, I want to make sure that the authorities find out about this. Tell someone else, some neutral third party, exactly what I've told you, and make sure they know that if you die, they need to contact the Andalite high command."

<I don't think-> I began.

"That's part of the deal. Do it, or Rachel goes back in the bottle."

Rachel growled, and I glared at the Arn. But the Arn was holding the keys, and she knew it.

<Fine,> I grudgingly said. <But we won't die.>

Rachel looked down at me, a sudden look of worry in her Hork-Bajir eyes.

"Easy for you to say."
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 03:29:19 PM by DinosaurNothlit »

Offline dolphin4077

« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2009, 07:25:14 PM »
Great but wish it was longer.  Can't wait for more.

Offline Brad the Brit

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Cuz Im British.
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2009, 09:01:59 AM »
you have out done yourself as usual Dino. well don and i look foward to the next chapter ;D

Offline danpfeiffer

« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2009, 12:27:39 PM »
Nothlit, are we going to see any new chapters soon?

Thanks!!

Offline Horsefan1023 (Seal)

• RAF's Resident Tumbleweed Hater
  • God
  • TO THE BATMOBILE!
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2009, 04:24:59 PM »
Please post more!  I need more, or I will starve, starve, starve...

*hungrily eats up chapter and looks around for more*
Most Insane Member/RAFian Writer 2010!

Thanks to Bear!
Blue is my WonderTwin, Myth, Blocky, Jess, Kayla, Demos, Tony are my siblings, Shorty is my cousin, Bear is my RAFsupercodetective! (Yeah awesome!)
RAFdating Ghostie! :D
:raftrophy: RAFian Writer and Most Insane Member 2011!

• God
  • TO THE BATMOBILE!
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2009, 06:08:05 PM »
Nothlits been really busy this week, so she can't do much.  But she'll try to write more soon, I think.

Thanks to Bear!
Blue is my WonderTwin, Myth, Blocky, Jess, Kayla, Demos, Tony are my siblings, Shorty is my cousin, Bear is my RAFsupercodetective! (Yeah awesome!)

Offline danpfeiffer

« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2009, 05:05:33 PM »
Nothlits been really busy this week, so she can't do much.  But she'll try to write more soon, I think.
sounds good...can't wait for more!

• God
  • TO THE BATMOBILE!
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2009, 12:37:13 PM »
*bump*

Should I PM Nothlit and ask her where she went?  I haven't seen her anywhere in a while.

Thanks to Bear!

Offline danpfeiffer

« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2009, 05:24:58 PM »
*bump*

Should I PM Nothlit and ask her where she went?  I haven't seen her anywhere in a while.

I tried...she hasn't responded

Offline danpfeiffer

« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2009, 06:47:43 PM »
I guess nothlit has left us :(

Offline foxglade

• Wait. Hold the intergalactic phone!
    • In My Life
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2009, 02:25:57 AM »
OH NO!!

I only read this today... I want more!!
And I suspected from ... near the start that the Ilixa thing was going to be there somewhere...

COME BACK TO US NOTHLIT!!
My String, My Rules. But the teacher made me throw my string away. :(
http://www.tobias-perigrine.blogspot.com
I see a little silhouette of a man SCARAMOUCH SCARAMOUCH will you do the fandango?
You can laugh or you can cry. Personally? I do both. At the same time.
Animorphs: The first 10 were light, funny, still innocent. But slowly, it got darker, more moral, passionate and mature. And then it was messy, bloody. It was chaos. It was the end.

Offline baldolera

« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2009, 05:07:48 PM »
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I WANT MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Galladerotom

• Analysist, Paranoid, Trekie, and Psychic
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2009, 10:25:28 PM »
I do not think nagging will help. Excellent writing style though. It can pass as a canon work of literature. I would even suggest sending this to the author.
We must extract the truth from this unbeliever on pain of torture! Get...THE COMFY CHAIR!

• God
  • TO THE BATMOBILE!
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2009, 10:18:10 PM »
AHA!!!!  NOTHILT IS BACK!!!! YAY!!!

Yeah, she's back, so she says hopefully she'll get back to the story soon.

Thanks to Bear!

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2009, 12:21:27 AM »
Chapter 17 (Cassie)

I don't get angry easily, but, as I sat on Tobias's back as a flea, practically blind and deaf, I had to admit I was getting frustrated with him.  He hadn't given me much information on anything that was going on while I was stuck as a flea on his back.  And now he'd demorphed, but he wouldn't tell me why.  I had no idea what was going on out there.

I was just about to hop off and demorph myself when Tobias finally said, <Okay, Cassie.  Sorry for putting you on hold.  I was dealing with important things, trust me.>

<What was so important that you wouldn't tell me anything?> I asked.

<Cassie?> Tobias said.  He had something important to tell me, but he was stalling.  < . . . Rachel's here,> he said at length.

<WHAT?!> I stammered, incredulous.  <She's alive?!  What, how?!  Why the hell didn't you tell me sooner?!>  Immediately, I jumped off Tobias's back and demorphed at maximum speed.

As soon as my eyes came back, I saw Tobias and a tan-colored Arn on one side of a force field, and a Hork-Bajir separated from the three of us on the other.  "Where's Rachel?" I asked, confused.

"Here," said the Hork-Bajir.  I looked at her, startled.

"Prove it," I finally said, disappointed.  This was just a trick.  Had to be.  "Demorph."

"Can't," the Hork-Bajir said sadly.  "This isn't a morph.  Or did Tobias not tell you?  I'm an Ixcila."

My breath caught in my throat.  Oh god.  It might really be her!  It was at least possible to believe that Rachel's Ixcila was still alive.

"Before you ask," she said, holding up a finger to silence me.  "My favorite food is Szechuan shrimp, my middle name is Jessica, I have a birthmark on my right hip that looks like the number seven, my favorite flavor of ice cream is Ben and Jerry's cherry garcia, and my worst experience as an Animorph was what we did to David.  Still don't think it's me?"

I didn't know what to say.  I wanted to hug her, but when I reached for her, my hand only touched the force field.

"Rachel . . . " I said, my voice tinged with sadness.  I pressed my hand against the force field, and Rachel did the same, her hand mirroring mine.

"Can't you let her out?" I asked the Arn.

"No.  Please don't take offense, but I have no reason to trust any of you.  And I'm not stupid."

I clenched my fists.  But then I took a deep breath, and let it go.  Getting angry would only make the situation worse.

Calming down, I said, "That's fine.  We haven't done much to gain your trust yet."  Right then, it suddenly occurred to me that I hadn't even introduced myself.  "I'm Cassie," I told the Arn.

"Quahyliera.  Pleased to meet you," she said.

"Yeah.  You too," I answered.  Rachel rolled her eyes, obviously thinking I was being way too polite.

"So, what else should I know about the situation?" I asked, giving Tobias a brief glare.

"My people are being forced by the Yeerks to develop mind-control devices for their next attempt at a take-over.  I will give Rachel to you in exchange for Arn freedom.  Your friend here thinks that the two of you would be able to accomplish this on your own, but I have my doubts.  Therefore, I must insist that you have a backup plan that will allow the Andalite high command to be informed of our plight should you fail," Quahyliera said.

"I don't think-" I began.

"Tobias has already expressed his displeasure with this part of my plan, but I'm afraid I must insist.  I can't trust the fate of my people on two aliens I've barely met.  It's either this, or no deal."

"Fine," I grunted.  "We . . . need to make a call."

We had brought a small, inconspicuous Z-space communicator that Tobias had been wearing on his wrist.  It had fallen off when he had demorphed.

I picked it up.  "Communicator.  Contact Jake Berenson," I told the device.

There were a few moments of silence before Jake picked up his end of the communicator.

"What's the situation?" came the brusque reply.

"We will need backup, after all.  You and Marco, come as soon as you can."  Quahyliera gave me a distrusting glare.  "And this is going to sound strange, but I think you should bring Erek, too."  Erek would be the backup plan should we fail, as Quahyliera had put it.

"Okay," Jake said.  "Is there anything else we should know?"

I hesitated, almost choking on the single most important bit of news I needed to tell him.  "Jake?" I finally said.  "It's Rachel.  An Arn found her Ixcila.  She's . . .  alive."

I heard a sharp intake of breath on the other side.  "Is she there now?" Jake asked.

"Yes," I answered.

"Can she hear me?"

"I think so."  I looked at Rachel for confirmation.

"Yes, I can hear you, Jake," Rachel said.

"Rachel . . . I've waited four years to say this."  I heard him take a deep breath, before he continued.  "I just want you to know . . . I . . . "  He trailed off, barely able to speak.

At length, he choked out the words, in a pained whisper that was barely audible over the static of the communicator, "I'm sorry, Rachel."

Rachel tilted her head, confusion showing on her Hork-Bajir features.

"For what?"