Author Topic: Enter RAF  (Read 29509 times)

Offline Blazing Angel

• God
  • Back to the original.
Re: Enter RAF
« Reply #105 on: June 21, 2012, 10:20:13 AM »
Likely a manifestation. If a banned user were to become an inworlder, they'd likely have better things to do than to hang out in the banned lands.
I am a Blazing Angel. Master of deviant traps and authentic barbecue. Brothers to Rukh the banner maker, Squall the Lionhearted and Underseen the generally sort of okay.

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #106 on: June 21, 2012, 05:15:09 PM »
Gah, I hate to sound like a broken record, here, but potential spoilers are just one of those weird little neuroses/phobias of mine that I really have a lot of trouble letting go of.  So, could you guys please not openly speculate on plot developments?  Even little ones?  I don't intend that to sound mean, because I'm not angry or anything, and also because I do appreciate the reviews (and, in a way, the fact that you're wondering about this stuff is kind of a compliment, since it means you're thinking about the story, so thank you).

But, I also get that it's probably pretty inconvenient to PM me every little thing you think of.  So, would it be possible to ask to put any guesses in spoilers?  So that people who don't wish to read said guesses don't have to?  I would appreciate it.

Again, not angry.  Just paranoid.  :)

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #107 on: June 27, 2012, 11:29:16 PM »
I've been a little busy-ish lately, sorry for the scarce updates.  Next week should be better.

Chapter Twenty-five

Goom, in his human form, was standing next to Ax, still an Andalite.  The two of them weren't on RAF, but some new website, a mechanical-looking facility surrounded by thick leaden walls and blocked off by an imposing sturdy black door.

Goom looked at Ax, somewhat surprised that the Andalite had been so easily able to cross over to another website.  And a little worried by that fact, too.  Goom had expected to have to analyze Ax's code, find some hidden back-door programming, that would allow him to make the transition from RAF to a foreign address.

In actuality, it had been so much simpler than that.  After finding and hacking into a couple of blank-slate user accounts that weren't currently being used on the new site, he'd only needed to instruct the Andalite as to the simple procedure that everyone knew by now.  It was only made slightly more complex by the fact that Ax couldn't initially see the search bar that appeared when users closed their eyes.  But, as soon as Goom had told him what to look for, it had then appeared to him, and the Andalite was easily able to 'surf.

All of this had Goom worried.  Because, whatever nature of virtual being Ax was, then Pootang, being another fictional character brought to life by the collective thoughts of RAFians, would have to fall into the same catagory.

So, if Ax could cross over to the rest of the internet . . .

Goom shoved those thoughts aside to focus on the task at hand.  In his hand, his wonderful human hand, with its fingers and opposable thumbs, oh how much he had missed that, he held Aquilai's tracking device, with its information on the site before them.  In his other hand, just in case they might encounter anything unexpected there, he held a dracon beam.

The 'site' wasn't really a website, of course.  It wasn't as if the facility in Switzerland was going to store their top-secret data on the internet for anybody to potentially access, after all.  No, this 'facility' was actually just a firewall, the security around their company network, made visible to Goom and Ax by whatever had rendered the internet into a physical place in the first place.

Ax moved forward, toward the imposing black door.  A keypad was set into the wall next to the door, numbers and letters on glowing green buttons.  Very spy-movie, Goom thought to himself.  Goom handed the tracking device to Ax, who began trying combinations of letters and numbers.  The keypad beeped irritatedly as it flashed red, signaling incorrect codes.  But no alarm was going off yet, so Ax slowed down and kept trying more methodically.

Finally, the keypad beeped in a higher key and the light changed back to green.  There was a deep whooshing noise as the door swung open.  Ax handed the tracking device back to Goom.

Goom hesitated, wondering what might lie on the other side of that door.  As a human, he knew he was nearly defenseless, but at least Ax was there, and the Andalite could handle most threats that might realistically be lying in wait on a research server.  Probably.

Who else could he get to help, though?  Any RAFian would be changed to their natural human form as they crossed the threshold to this site.  The only reason Ax wasn't human was because, as a non-user, he had no such 'default' form.  It was a bit like the Matrix, Goom reasoned.  The computer constructed your form based on your self-image, and in the absence of more data it would take your most intuitive form, the way you saw yourself when you weren't actively pretending to be something else.

The only options, then, were other characters that existed on RAF without being users.  Characters from other users' backstories, perhaps.  The other Animorphs.  Parker's Spartan team.  Cloaky's Realm Walker family, Shadow and Dagger and whoever else.

"Ax, wait," Goom said, stopping the Andalite as he started towards the open door.  "Don't go in there yet.  We might need backup."  Ax paused, letting the door close in front of him, looking mildly annoyed at the setback.

Goom closed his eyes and blinked back to RAF.  The dracon beam and tracking device clattered to the floor as Goom changed back into a goomba.  He cursed, making a mental note to pick them back up later.

He immediately headed for the Social Board, and from there quickly found Cloaky's profile.  The goomba knocked on the door with his foot, and, after a moment's pause, the Realm Walker appeared in the doorway.  Cloaky's room was sparse, lined only with the material used to make his cloak.

"Do you know where Shadow is?" Goom asked Cloaky, cutting straight to the point.

Cloaky, leaning against the frame of the door, tilted his head curiously, a catlike gesture.  "What do you need with my niece?"

"Ax and I are about to hack into the Swiss facility," Goom explained.  "Since it's off-site, any users who come along would appear as human.  And Shadow is the most powerful non-user I could think of.  Well, most powerful, who would be on our side," he amended.

Cloaky grinned, even though the expression was barely visible in the shadows beneath his hood.  It gave his feline features the impression of something ominous, although it was a perfectly innocent grin.  "Actually . . . I could come," he said.  "You forget, I'm a Realm Walker.  Websites are basically just like realms.  Which is how I can move from website to website without changing form."

"No way," Goom said slowly, incredulous, as he realized the implications of what Cloaky had said.  "That shouldn't be possible, even with your powers.  It's a catch-twenty-two.  Your powers might in theory allow you to leave RAF, except that your powers are sourced within RAF, so once you left RAF they should still be gone."

Cloaky shrugged.  "I don't know how it works.  It just does."

"Don't you get it?" Goom went on.  "This means that our forms, our powers, are not strictly limited to RAF!  We all just assumed they were!  Granted, you may be a special circumstance because of your particular powers, but if it's even possible, then there must be a way to duplicate it for the rest of us.  I dunno, think of it as a computer glitch.  You've basically glitched the game, because your powers allow you to do something that the . . . whoever designed this place . . . didn't expect.  But if what you do is even allowed within the mechanics of the 'game,' then that leaves the rest of us open to take advantage of the same glitch.  The rest of us might be able to use a TARDIS, or a Time Matrix.  We can go wherever we want!"  Goom felt relieved at this revelation.  Even if Pootang somehow escaped to the rest of the internet, so long as the RAFians could follow, he might still be stopped.

Cloaky nodded, not quite as excited by all this as Goom was, but still pleased with the fact that he was responsible for such an important discovery.  "I should be able to bring others along, too.  I can carry two people with me when I realm-walk, and I see no reason why they shouldn't be able to keep their RAFian forms as well."

"Excellent," Goom said approvingly.  "I don't need you to use it for me at the moment, though, seeing as I'm stronger as a human anyway.  Oh, but I need to get you set up with a neutral account on the new site first.  Hang on a moment."  Goom turned to leave, but Cloaky interrupted before he could get more than a few steps.

"No need," Cloaky said with a wave of his hand.  "I've realm-walked been to sites where I have no account."

"What?!" Goom cried, dumbfounded.  "Geez, you really did glitch!  That's not possible.  That can't be possible.  How can you interact with a site, unless you have some means by which to influence it?  Whenever anybody has gone to a site without an account, they always just show up as an incorporeal ghost, with no body," he explained.  "Able to hear and see, but not to touch, or be seen or heard."

Cloaky grinned again, and shrugged.  "I don't make the rules.  I just break them."  He laughed quietly at his own wit.

Goom shook his head, tired of trying to figure it out.  "Well, let's not keep Ax waiting.  I'll 'surf, and you do whatever it is you do, and we'll meet there."  Goom gave Cloaky the address, and then went to retrieve his dracon and tracking device.

Within minutes, the Realm Walker was standing next to Ax and a human Goom in front of the Swiss firewall.  Rad was there with Cloaky, having caught bits and pieces of Cloaky and Goom's earlier conversation from her own profile across the hall.  She'd been curious, and so when Cloaky had explained the situation, she'd insisted on coming along.

Ax looked skeptically at Cloaky, wondering why Goom had made such a big fuss about bringing along a humanoid that looked as unremarkable as the cloaked figure.  But the Andalite decided not to question it, as he quickly turned and re-entered the code, and the doorway opened once more.

Cloaky led the way as the four of them slipped through, anxiously anticipating what they would find on the other side.

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #108 on: June 28, 2012, 09:53:53 PM »
Chapter Twenty-six

The inside of the Swiss database looked like an office, crossed with a factory.  It was a maze of hallways, leading into dead-end cubicles, but the whole place had a very mechanical, industrial feel.  There were sharp-cornered recesses in the walls, where whirring gears and exposed circuitry could be seen, spitting out sheets of paper covered with numbers, which fed into other slots in the walls.  Outstretched needles traced glowing lines in midair, like a seismograph in three dimensions.

In one of the cubicles, mostly hidden behind a corner, Goom could see a scientist in a white labcoat, writing furiously on his clipboard as he watched five figures moving about on a screen.  It was hard to get a good view, but Goom was pretty sure that one of the figures was an Andalite.

The four RAFians had to duck against a wall as a spidery robot suddenly appeared around a corner, scanning back and forth with its single red eye.  It was a security protocol, Goom quickly realized.  A program written to scan for anything that didn't belong in this network.

In a sudden darting motion, it locked its eye onto the RAFians.

Cloaky, fortunately, didn't hesitate.  He raised his hand and fired a bolt of golden-scarlet light, the energy attack frying the robot's circuits, leaving it crackling and hissing as it slumped, lifeless.

At first, the scientist in his cubicle didn't seem to have noticed the noise.  But, after a moment's hesitation, he set down his clipboard and looked around.  He didn't seem to be able to see the RAFians, but he had definitely noticed the ruined security program, as he quickly came over and began to inspect the wreckage.

"Move," Cloaky hissed, and they all took off at a rapid pace through the halls.  They moved quickly but quietly, as they wove their way through the twisting maze.

<What are we searching for?> Ax wondered, directing the question at Goom.

"Something that will help the outerworlders override the facility's security," Goom whispered back.  "It will probably look like a key, or a passcard.  Something like that."

Up ahead was a wall, dividing the hallway into two paths, one left and one right.  A series of blinking lights, running along a cable, flashed from left to right, so the RAFians quickly decided to take the path to the right.

Three more robots lay in wait, but these looked slightly sturdier, more like turrets than spiders.  Their green eyes scanned back and forth from their parapets as they monitored the hallway.

Goom aimed his dracon, Cloaky raised his hands, and Rad hefted the zat gun that she'd brought, preparing to fire off a three-shot burst.  "On three," Goom whispered.  "One, two, three!"  The three of them shot the three robots simultaneously, but one of the robots survived and instantly registered the attack.  Its green eye changed to red, and an alarm began to blare from the entire building.

"GO!" Goom yelled as the four of them charged forward.  "It's all or nothing!"

As they turned a corner, they spotted a long corridor, which looked out of place because it was so plain compared to the rest of their surroundings.  It was nothing but featureless dark grey walls, with no machinery at all.  At the end of the hallway, was a glass case.  The RAFians were too far away to see what was underneath the glass.

Cloaky began to move cautiously down the corridor, but Goom had a bad feeling about it.  There was no way that anything good could be at the end of that hallway, he thought.  It was too obvious.  A password would need to be stored somewhere hidden and out of the way, deep within the computer's memory system, where nobody could access it.  Not on display.

"It's a trap!" Goom said, pulling Cloaky back from the corridor.  "It's a decoy file, set there to trick viruses.  We need to go back.  This way."

The alarm, meanwhile, had mysteriously gone silent.  As the four RAFians made their way back through the hallway where they had come, they overheard two voices talking to one another.  There was a slightly static quality to both the voices, like they were being heard over a phone.  The RAFians pressed themselves against the wall and listened.

"Another false alarm?" one of the speakers was saying.  "The system has been so temperamental, ever since we started this whole project.  It keeps going off over nothing."

"Yeah, tell me about it," the other said, his voice laced with exasperation.  "Too many variables to keep track of.  The programming we have in place can't handle it all."

"I'm going to double-check the data," the first voice said.  "Make sure it really was a false alarm.  But, I swear, some of our abandoned accounts have developed sentience.  They keep popping up in random places."

The second voice laughed at the joke, as the first one moved off down the hallway.  The RAFians could make out a plastic swooshing sound, followed by a beep, and the sound of a door opening.

Of course!  It was the scientists, Goom realized.  They were the key.  Or, at least, their accounts were.  The scientists had the passcards with them.  In other words, their identifying information, their security data, was attached to their online identities.

Goom grabbed Rad by the shoulder and moved quickly down the hallway, chasing after the first scientist, the one who had said he was going to check the data.  Ax followed, careful not to let his hooves be heard clattering against the floor, and Cloaky snuck along next to him.

The RAFians knew they had to get to that data before the scientist did, and destroy the records.  If they left behind any suspicion that the network had been infiltrated, the scientists would reset all the security systems, and anything the RAFians managed to steal would be useless.

Rad suddenly had an idea, and she decisively pulled ahead of the other RAFians.  As she took the lead, the four of them slipped quickly through the doorway that the scientist had used moments ago, right before it swung shut.

Goom nodded at Rad, quickly realizing the same thing that had occurred to her.

Ma'at, who instinctively knew everything Rad did thanks to their linked thoughts, began to disengage from Rad's brain stem.  The Tok'ra slithered out through Rad's mouth, and Rad instinctively gagged even as she held out her hands to hold her parasitic snake-like counterpart.  She was dazed for a moment by the sudden disorienting and bizarre sensation of having her consciousness split in half, because she could now simultaneously see from both perspectives at once.

Ax's eyes widened at the sight, horrified.  He brought his tail forward threateningly, but Goom and Cloaky both spotted his motion and held their hands up, silently signaling to him that Ma'at was a friend.  Ax calmed slightly, but he kept his suspicious gaze on the pincer-mouthed alien snake.

With Ma'at in hand, Rad ran forward, until she caught a glimpse of white.  It was the scientist.  The Tok'ra launched herself into the air at the same instant that Rad swung her arm forward, their combined momentum flinging Ma'at in a wild arc down the corridor.

Their aim was true, and Ma'at landed on the scientist's shoulder.  He didn't even seem to notice the touch.  Which of course would make sense, if he was an outerworlder.  Within a database like this, he would be denied even the luxury of roleplayed text descriptions to tell him what was going on.

Ma'at reminded herself that he was not a real person, merely an avatar representing an online account.  Thus there was nothing even at all amoral about taking him as a host.  The Tok'ra quickly plunged herself into the back of his neck, and wrapped around his spinal chord.  His eyes flashed yellow as Ma'at took control.

Ma'at continued along the scientist's previous path, barely stumbling as she took over the task of moving his body.  She had to keep up the illusion, make it seem as though he was still in control.  Sitting at his computer somewhere in the real world, he would have noticed nothing amiss.

She began to look through his memories, curious as to what she might glean from an outerworlder host.  It wasn't at all like looking at a human brain.  There was nothing there except a name, and a bunch of utterly raw data.  Streams of numbers, activity logs, graphs and charts, passwords.  No emotion.  No memories, except what the account itself had registered as having done.

Rad tapped Goom on the shoulder, as the four RAFians trailed along behind Ma'at and the scientist.  "Ma'at can get you the passcard," Rad whispered to Goom.  She could read Ma'at's thoughts as though they were her own.  Because, of course, they were.  "But you'll have to make a copy somehow.  If I, I mean, if she gives you the original, then the scientist will know something is wrong when it's gone."

"No problem," Goom whispered back, holding up the tracking device that he was still holding.  "I can save the file to this."

Rad nodded towards the scientist, signaling Goom to move.  Ma'at subtly and slowly reached the scientist's hand into his pocket, and produced a black card, the size of a credit card, attached to a chain.  Goom ducked, staying out of view, and scanned the card with the tracking device as he walked along next to the scientist.  He turned around and gave Rad a thumbs up as he fell back.

Ma'at kept moving, knowing as well as the scientist did where he was going.  She soon arrived at the data station, and quickly deleted the records of suspicious activity before the scientist would even see them.  He would be none the wiser.

Her mission accomplished, she detached herself from the man's brain stem and slithered back to Rad, who gratefully picked her up and allowed herself to be reinfested.

"We got what we came for," Goom whispered to the others.  "Let's get out of here."

Offline Aquilai

• Imagination is imperative in ingenuity
« Reply #109 on: June 29, 2012, 07:05:22 AM »
Not a spoiler or review just a "Hey-DN!-We're-still-reading-and-waiting-in-excitement!" reminder to fuel the typing fingers ^^

Two completely inconsequential thoughts came to mind...

1) Rad just installed a worm! :P

II) Goom:
Temporal Traveller Aquilai: "One small step back in time. One GIANT leap for mankind."
"People live their lives bound by what they accept as correct and true. That's how they define "reality". But what does it mean to be "correct" or "true"? Merely vague concepts… their "reality" may all be a mirage. Can we consider them to simply be living in their own world, shaped by their beliefs?"

Offline Blazing Angel

• God
  • Back to the original.
« Reply #110 on: June 29, 2012, 04:09:05 PM »
Glad to come home and have two new chapters waiting for me. Great work as always.
I am a Blazing Angel. Master of deviant traps and authentic barbecue. Brothers to Rukh the banner maker, Squall the Lionhearted and Underseen the generally sort of okay.

Offline Gaz

• RAF's Resident Coffee Addicted Pirate
  • God
  • Forsooth!
    • Rachel Recaps
Enter RAF
« Reply #111 on: June 29, 2012, 04:38:33 PM »
Love this story. Keep up the great work.

Offline Darth Revan

• Master of the Star Forge!
  • Gold Donor
  • Now you see the true Dark Lord of the Sith!
« Reply #112 on: June 29, 2012, 10:16:04 PM »

1) Rad just installed a worm! :P  +1

II) Goom:
:rofl: +1

Those were priceless!

Great job Dino! This story is awesome. I love the Realm walker bypass idea.

Also, it'd be sick if I could actually hang out with the Yankee Squad!!!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 10:18:03 PM by Darth Revan »
RAFengaged to Midnight_Huntress

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #113 on: July 04, 2012, 12:33:29 PM »
Gah, it seems I lied about this week being better than last.  It seems my muse's creative energy is fueled by being too busy to write.  Whenever I have free time, my inspiration leaves.  :P

Chapter Twenty-seven

It all still felt so unreal to Goose, even as he layered his shirts one by one into his suitcase.  In his pocket was a plane ticket, and on the floor in front of him was his passport.  Late the previous night, Goom had managed to forge a few emails to make it look like the police were ordering the eight passports at top priority.  So the eight outerworlders had each been able to get their passports overnight, when it should have taken weeks.

The airline ticket, also forged, was for a flight later that day.  They did not have the time to waste.  But it felt like it was all happening too fast.  Impossible to really think about what it was they were doing.

Still up on Goose's computer, was the article he had been looking at, about the facility that the RAFian outerworlders were ultimately planning to break into.  Goom had said that he and a few other RAFians had already taken care of security concerns.  He hadn't gone into much detail, except to note that time was of the essence, if they wanted the information that they had to still be current when they got there.

It turned out, according to the article Goose had found, that the place itself was in Geneva, only a mile or two from where CERN was.  Almost an extension of CERN, it seemed.

Goose got up and went to the computer, clicking 'print' on the article he had been looking at.  He was running out of time to read it, and so he would just have to read it on the plane on the way there.  While he was at the computer, he brought up the wikipedia article on CERN and printed it too.  Why not?

Goose glanced at the clock, realizing that he needed to get to the airport soon.  It still didn't seem like he could really be going to another country in just a few hours.  He shoved the last few things into his suitcase, and hastily zipped it up.  He quickly ran through his mental checklist, making sure he had remembered everything.  Clothes, toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, his passport, ticket . . .

He got into the car and drove to the airport, still fretting, the entire way, about anything he might have forgotten.  It just didn't seem like it could possibly be this easy.  Could he really just pack his things and fly off to another country?

Well, apparently, he could.

Several minutes later, he could see the airport, a sprawling series of blue and grey buildings that seemed out of place against the bright vista of green grass around it.  He drove through the hustle and bustle of traffic towards the parking lot, where he parked his car and walked, stiff-legged, across the asphalt towards the complex.  He stepped inside, and made his way towards the registration area.

Goose's mind was already racing ahead of him, as he absentmindedly checked his bags with the attendant at the desk.  He barely even registered her presence as she talked to him.  He was much more focused on wondering what Switzerland was going to be like, and what they would find once they got there.  He knew, at least, that they spoke French in the region they would be visiting.  Which was lucky, since Tocade and Dameg could both translate.  But other than that, he really hadn't had much time for research.  What kind of foods did they eat there?  What were the local laws and customs?  He had no idea.

A security check later, Goose was sitting in one of those plush grey seats near the gate, fidgeting apprehensively as he waited for the plane to board.  Waiting, with nothing to do at that moment, but far too much to do within a few short hours, was agonizing.  He noticed another kid reading a book, and suddenly remembered the articles he had printed.  He pulled out the article on the facility, and started to read.

Almost as soon as he'd started reading, however, the intercom finally called out Goose's ticket number, and he picked up his two carry-on suitcases and joined in with the throng of people bustling eagerly towards the gateway to the plane.

Goose's ticket was for a seat next to the window, which he liked.  Staring out a window often helped to take his mind off of other concerns, as he would watch the clouds drift lazily past.  And it gave him an excuse to ignore the other people on the plane.  He was normally fairly withdrawn anyway, and at that moment the last thing he wanted to deal with was anybody not from RAF.

Goose shoved his bags into the overhead compartment and sat down, drumming his fingers as he waited for the plane to take off.  A young child, not much older than five or six, sat in the seat next to him, accompanied by her father in the next seat over.  The child babbled in shrill French, grating Goose's nerves.

It seemed to take forever, as the plane slowly taxied to the runway.  But at last the plane began to accelerate, rolling down the runway with a growing rumble as it gained speed.

At last, with a thundering roar, the entire vehicle eased itself upward into the air.  The roar immediately quieted as the plane lifted, and Goose watched with interest as the cars and roads seemed to shrink away to nothing.

It was going to be a long flight, Goose thought with a sigh.  He pulled back out the articles he'd been reading when he was interrupted by having to board the plane.  The article on the facility they were interested in was, unfortunately, very short, and pretty vague.  It mentioned the teleportation research, but there was not much there that Goose didn't already know.  As far as he could tell, the place didn't even have a name.  Or if it did, the name was a secret.

So Goose pulled out the article he'd printed on CERN, and started skimming through the list of CERN's accomplishments, which was a good deal longer than what the much newer unnamed facility had done.  He didn't really expect to find anything useful.  But it was worth a look, since he'd printed out the article anyhow.

Suddenly, he did a double-take, re-reading the words his eyes had just skimmed over.  Wait, had he read that right?

Goose gasped, stunned at what he was reading.  The CERN laboratory was, it turned out, precisely where the very idea of the 'world-wide web' had first been conceptualized, back in 1989.

So CERN had been the place where the internet itself was born.  And, just adjacent to its birthplace, was where the next great leap in internet technology would be taken.  Transforming the internet into a real, physical place.

That could not be coincidence, Goose thought.

But, what then?  Did the scientists at the other facility simply use their proximity to copy CERN's secrets?

Or was there something else, some hidden secret that both places could use to develop technology surpassing what the rest of the world at the time could ever know?

Goose laughed quietly, realizing that what he was thinking of sounded a lot like a conspiracy theory.  Yeah, right, aliens did it.  Of course.  What else?

Well, that wasn't actually all that much stranger than anything that was already happening.  People were getting pulled into the internet.  It didn't really get much crazier than that.

Goose sighed, realizing that there was really only one way to find out for sure whether or not any of his suspicions were true.  And that was to wait until the plane arrived in Switzerland, and then to find out firsthand.  He looked at his watch, and sighed again.  It had only been a half an hour, and this would be an eight hour flight.

It would be a very long flight.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 09:10:51 PM by DinosaurNothlit »

Offline Darth Revan

• Master of the Star Forge!
  • Gold Donor
  • Now you see the true Dark Lord of the Sith!
« Reply #114 on: July 04, 2012, 03:12:42 PM »
Ooo... I wonder what the in-flight movie is. :D

Good chapter Dino. Now I'm really psyched to see what's going on here.
RAFengaged to Midnight_Huntress

Offline Blazing Angel

• God
  • Back to the original.
« Reply #115 on: July 04, 2012, 05:28:59 PM »
I'd say Peter Jackson's King Kong.

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #116 on: July 07, 2012, 09:09:11 PM »
Oops.  I had to go and ret-con a few chapters just now, because I had totally forgotten that I'd made Ash an outerworlder.  :facepalm:

. . . I mean, I was testing you guys.  Er, yeah, that's it.  To see if any of you would notice that I'd mis-counted the outerworlders.  You all fail.

Chapter Twenty-eight

Goose was the first RAFian to arrive in the airport in Geneva.  He looked around nervously as he waited for his suitcases to crawl up the conveyor belt that would bring them up from the plane.

He knew generally what the other RAFians looked like, but he had never actually met any of them.  There was a difference between seeing a picture of someone, and meeting them in person.

Goose's suitcases finally appeared on the conveyor, and he hastily grabbed them and headed for the area where the other gates would disembark.  There was a long row of suitcase conveyors and carousels leading from various planes, and he wasn't really sure which one the other RAFians would be coming from.

Then he spotted someone who looked a bit like Steph, but it was hard to be sure from the angle and the distance.  He felt awkward staring at her, as he tried to figure out whether or not the lady was a stranger or a friend.  But, fortunately, she soon caught his glance and seemed to recognize him, too.

"Goose?" she asked as she approached him.  "Goose!  It is you!"  She extended her arms for a hug, which he returned.

He sighed with relief, happy to know that he hadn't been staring holes in a total stranger after all.  "Yeah, it's me," he answered.  "Have you seen any of the others yet?"

"No, I just got here.  But they should all be getting here pretty soon."

After Steph's bags arrived, the two of them wandered up and down the gates for a while, waiting for the next RAFian to arrive.  They chatted about nothing in particular.  Avoiding the obvious subjects, like what it was they were doing, and where to go from here.  Instead talking about jobs and family and friends.  Stupid stuff.  But it was nice to get their minds off of the more pressing matter of the impossible mission ahead.  At least for a while.

Gaz joined them next, then Cody, then Myitt.  They each exchanged hugs, and the others quickly brought one another up to speed on the current conversation, as each new RAFian was added to the group.  Gaz, Myitt, and Steph had all previously met one another, yet somehow Goose and Cody didn't feel like outsiders.  They were all RAFians, and that was the only thing that seemed to matter.

It took them a while longer to find Nate and Ash, since they were both in slightly different areas of the airport, having flown in from Australia and Dubai, respectively, rather than the US or Canada.  Fortunately the Geneva airport was fairly small, so it didn't take long to get it sorted out.

The tension of meeting new people was loosening with each encounter, as the RAFians continued to chatter amongst themselves.  It was an odd phenomenon, Goose noted.  Although he had never officially met any of these people, it was hard not to feel like they had been friends all their lives.  They already knew each other's deepest secrets, after all.

Richard was the only one still missing from the group.  "I bet Goom planned it that way," Steph commented in a stage whisper.  "More dramatic to have the 'father of RAF' show up last."

"I almost feel like there should be dimming lights and dramatic music right when he shows up," Nate joked.  He sang a few exaggerated notes to illustrate his point.

"Hey, do you think we could ask the airport to do something like that?" Myitt wondered.  "Doesn't seem like it should be too hard to arrange."

"Oh, yeah, I'm sure," Steph said, nodding seriously.  "They probably get requests like that all the time.  All the prime ministers and presidents that come through here.  Important people like that, would naturally get their own musical scores when they arrive.  That's just common sense."

"And, presenting, the Prime Minister of RAF!" Cody said with a flourish.  Of course, he was only saying it in jest.  He had not expected Richard to show up right at that very moment.

"Uh, what's all this about musical scores?" a Caribbean-accented voice asked from behind the group of RAFians, and Goose turned to see a man standing there with a raised eyebrow.  "Are you guys planning a song for me?"

"Richard!" Gaz said excitedly, looking him up and down.  "Oh, wow, it's really you!"  The other RAFians gasped and chattered their own excited commentary.  It was hard to believe that they were actually meeting the founder of the site.  The one who had started it all.  Richard.

"No, no, no no no," Steph said, shaking her head disappointedly at him.  "Get back on the plane, and then come out again.  We gotta do this right.  You were not nearly dramatic enough."  Goose looked at her, almost surprised that she would have the audacity to speak in such a casual way to their founder.

"Sorry.  But I am not getting back on that plane," Richard said, making an annoyed face.  That too, seemed odd, Goose thought.  The way that Richard had always possessed some mysterious air of someone larger than life.  Yet here he was, just being a person like the rest of them.  "I was already delayed long enough as it is.  Hey, speaking of which, I'm starving.  Anybody know a good place around here to eat?"

Outside, the sky was already beginning to darken into evening.  To Goose it still only felt like mid-afternoon.  Jet lag, Goose reminded himself.  Nevertheless, all the RAFians were getting hungry.  It had been a long flight for most of them, and although in-flight food was provided, they had been meager meals.

The eight of them wandered up and down the airport, looking for a place to eat.  The restaurants seemed to be scattered at random across the airport, but the RAFians quickly decided on a cozy-looking alpine-themed place with cushy red lounge chairs, not far from where they had arrived from the gates.

"Good choice," Gaz commented as she settled comfortably into one of the chairs.  She then grumbled as she realized she had to get up again to order.

The RAFians each ordered, and sat back down with their food.  There were enough chairs for all of them, and they comfortably reclined as they ate.  The restaurant felt more like a lounge than anything.  A place to relax.

But, with Richard there, the casual atmosphere that the RAFians had shared earlier, had died off somewhat.  It seemed wrong somehow, to just shoot the breeze and talk about nothing, while he was sitting there.  When they all knew the real reasons why they were there.  It was a guilty feeling, almost.  Like talking about video games in front of your parents, when they knew your homework wasn't done.

Richard seemed uncomfortable, like he wanted to talk about other things, too.  But he also knew that he needed to get down to business.  Like it or not, the other RAFians looked up to him as their leader, so he had to act like one.

"So, Steph," he said, cautiously breaking the silence.  "Have there been any updates?  Any new word from Goom?"

"Oh, right, I was going to let him know we were all here," she said between bites of her sandwich.  She pulled out her phone and tapped the screen.  "Okay, now he knows we're here," she said after a minute of typing.  "Oh, hey, good news.  He says he's been able to get some blueprints for the facility, and he'll go over them with us later tonight after we get to the hotel.  He doesn't know where the others are being held, but at least knowing what the place looks like, should be helpful."

"Good," Richard said approvingly.  "Everybody eat up.  We'll need the energy.  Because tomorrow's going to be a big day."
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 11:25:57 PM by DinosaurNothlit »

Offline Blazing Angel

• God
  • Back to the original.
« Reply #117 on: July 07, 2012, 11:11:43 PM »
Internet life, or adventures with real RAFians? Difficult decision.

Offline Gaz

• RAF's Resident Coffee Addicted Pirate
  • God
  • Forsooth!
    • Rachel Recaps
Enter RAF
« Reply #118 on: July 08, 2012, 12:20:07 PM »
Good chapter!

warren_bearclaw

« Reply #119 on: July 08, 2012, 01:20:21 PM »
Terenia went on.  "Donut, as the only member with real military experience, should probably help to direct these drills.  Now-"

Bear raised his paw.

"The only member who can speak," Terenia winced.  "Sorry, Bear."

:awesome:

I'm really diggin' this. Keep it up, Dino!