Author Topic: Enter RAF  (Read 29511 times)

Offline Noelle

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • *Insert random text*
Re: Enter RAF
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2012, 05:44:19 AM »
This story is so awesome!  I'll be waiting anxiously for the next installment.  :)

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
  • 188 of 1,657 "Memoirs" books completed
« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2012, 06:45:11 AM »
Ax knows what goombas are?

Nice chapter anyway, Dino.

Book 189: "Shenecron's Pets"
Chapter 4: "First Attempt"
(January 7, 2020)

RAFians Referenced Specifically: Demos.

Offline Aquilai

• Imagination is imperative in ingenuity
« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2012, 09:00:22 AM »
Nice to know even when I'm not there, I can be of assistance! First time posting here but you're doing a really nice job developing "Enter RAF" Dino! It's very immersive! Not just for our characters it seems!

Cloak: Ax doesn't need to know what a Goomba is. As far as he's concerned Goom is just another alien species. It would be unusual to find another non-human on Earth but not mind-blowingly far-fetched considering the numerous species he has unexpectedly encountered here. (Ellimist, Helmacron, Chee etc) We are also following the point of view of Goom not Ax so any extra sense of curiosity would be less obvious to the reader. Andalites aren't known for their overly expressive facial features!

Along with the above alien encounters, I would say that Ax's personality would make him think more practically. Everything is already alien to Ax making him accept the situation easier. If Marco or Jake saw Goom then they'd be completely stunned because they would recognise Goom as something from a computer game. To Ax, Goom is just alien not something that has come to life from fiction.

In any case, due to the situation (Goom being intimately aware of the Animorphs vs Yeerks), I would imagine Ax would be open to helping to gather more intel and gauge the situation better. Just another day in the life of an Animorph!
Temporal Traveller Aquilai: "One small step back in time. One GIANT leap for mankind."
"People live their lives bound by what they accept as correct and true. That's how they define "reality". But what does it mean to be "correct" or "true"? Merely vague concepts… their "reality" may all be a mirage. Can we consider them to simply be living in their own world, shaped by their beliefs?"

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2012, 02:25:42 PM »
You guys are awesome.  These reviews fill me with glee.  :awesome:

Chapter Fourteen

Goom hastily explained the bare basics of the situation to Ax, whispering the information in hopes that his whisper might be translated into a PM instead of a post.  He felt a little silly, but it was a precaution he needed to take.

He carefully avoided mentioning Richard by name, phrasing everything as though it were only a theory that one of his friends had been taken, rather than the fact that he knew it to be.  He had to be careful.  It might be plausible that he had merely guessed whatever was taking the RAFians to be a hacked outerworlder, after all.  But if he proved himself to know exactly who it was, then the false Richard would know that the game was up.  And who knew what kind of destruction the imposter would reap with nothing left to lose?

Ax curiously followed Goom outside of the Animorphs Board, only to halt, utterly stunned by what he found there.  The Andalite marveled up at the rest of RAF, completely taken aback by the existence of an entire alternate world just outside of his own.  The Boards towered over the two of them as they made their way towards the edge of the forum.

<What is this place?> Ax wondered as they walked along.  <How can there be an entire universe coexisting so close to my own?>

"Uh, it's a long story.  And I have a feeling most of it would be pretty disheartening from your perspective," Goom said vaguely.  "Probably best if you don't know everything."

<I would rather know, than remain ignorant of a disheartening truth,> Ax replied staunchly.

But Goom shook his head silently, refusing to say more.  How was he supposed to tell Ax that he was nothing more than a character in a fictional book series?

<So, how is it that you speak English?> Ax wondered after a while, finally giving up and changing the subject.

"Another long story," Goom sighed.  "Technically, well, I'm actually from here."

<What?> Ax wondered.  <But you do not resemble any other earth species.  Your proportions are very different.  I have never seen another earth species with a head as relatively large as yours.>

"Hey," Goom said, mildly offended.  "My head isn't that large."

<I apologize if I have misspoken,> Ax said.  <But, where are you from?  How did your species remain hidden from humans?>

"Another long story," Goom said mysteriously.  "Suffice it to say, even for someone like you, it would be a pretty unbelievable tale."

Ax was quickly becoming frustrated by Goom's evasive answers, but he managed to keep his patience.  He knew that if he wanted his own secrets kept, he would need to respect those of the goomba.

The two of them had reached their destination.  As they passed from the bright light of the forum into the comparatively dreary concrete room, Goom sighed with relief when he saw that the false Richard was nowhere in sight.  He nodded towards a humble office computer sitting off to the side, where Ax quickly got to work.  To offset suspicion, Goom had told him to track the actions of dozens of users, refusing to give him any sign that one in particular was more important than the others.

Goom marveled appreciatively as Ax's many fingers expertly tapped the keys, effortlessly writing the programs he would need to penetrate any security he encountered, and others to hide his own presence on the system.  Ax quickly brought up several user's logs, and Goom quietly studied Richard's in particular.  As the Andalite kept working, more and more details popped up on each of the accounts.  The false Richard seemed to have made contact with some other website, but its address was still hidden.  Goom heard Ax grumble in thought-speak frustration as he collided with what seemed to be an impassable stumbling block.

<This 'Richard' figure, he seems to be accessing another site on a heavily encrypted connection,> Ax said to Goom in private thought-speak that Goom desperately hoped 'Richard' would not be able to access.  <He has to be the one you're looking for.  But, I cannot crack the connection.  All I can tell for certain is that he sent some kind of informational file, and during that transaction, the other site very briefly made contact with this 'RAF.'  A different transaction of some kind occurred during that contact, but it occurred during such a short, nearly instantaneous, interval that I cannot even tell what was sent or received.  And I cannot break into the other site.  I do not have any clue as to its identity.>  His thought-speak sounded frustrated, unused as he was to being foiled by earth-based security systems.

Goom nodded thoughtfully.  "Thank you, that should be enough," he said, choosing his words carefully, since he couldn't thought-speak privately like Ax could, and so feared that he might be 'overheard.'  "I am in your debt.  Seriously, if you ever need a favor in return, come find me."

They left the data room, and Goom led Ax back to his home within the Animorphs Board, where they silently parted ways.  Having just discovered that his entire world was only a smaller world inside of a mysterious larger one, Ax had a lot to think about.

And so did Goom.  So, whatever was going on, it was apparently much bigger than just Richard.  Whatever website he was interacting with, they had to be quite advanced if they could block Ax.  Who could have that kind of technology?  Granted, Goom realized, that Ax was only a fictional character here within RAF.  His technological prowess would of course be hampered by the fact that he was a mere creation of human minds.  Still, his abilities should have still been enough to get past at least most low-level security systems that would have guarded typical run-of-the-mill websites.  So, who would have been blocking him?

And, what information was being exchanged?  The informational file that 'Richard' had sent, which Ax had alluded to . . . was that some kind of data on user accounts, which would have allowed them to be stolen or deleted?  Or was the interaction between the two sites something deeper?  A completion of the teleport that had begun with the malfunction, perhaps?  Were Estelore, Noelle, and Aquilai back in the real world, after all?

Goom knew one thing, though.  He couldn't stand by and do nothing while the false Richard kidnapped the RAFians one by one.  An idea was forming in his head, an idea to track down the missing RAFians.  But it would take a whole lot of secrecy up until the last possible moment, and then it would require absolutely flawless split-second timing.  They would only get one shot.

Goom headed towards the Social Board.  It didn't take long for him to track down Estrid, who was pacing wearily in her profile.  She looked like she wanted very much to sleep, but there was just too much on her mind, and even though it was late, her jumpy Andalite instincts were still keeping her frustratingly alert.

She spotted Goom, and trotted forward to greet him.  She could easily tell that the goomba looked uneasy about something.

<What's wrong?> Estrid asked.

"Shh," Goom said, before he realized how paranoid that sounded.  "Um, I mean, I think we need to schedule a RAF meeting for tomorrow.  Aquilai is . . . gone."

<Aquilai's gone?> Estrid echoed anxiously, rubbing her head.  <Oh, man.  How many of us are going to disappear before this ends?>

"I don't know," Goom said.

<Wait, why do we need to have an entire meeting, though?> Estrid wondered.  <Couldn't I just announce that he disappeared?>

"No, it has to be a meeting.  There are other things I want to talk about," Goom said quickly.  "Things we didn't get a chance to get around to during today's meeting.  We were sort of interrupted in the middle of proceedings, after all."

Estrid nodded.  <Alright, fair enough.  When?>

"Oh, let's say around three in the afternoon, central time," Goom said.  "That's probably the best we can do in terms of not messing with the European and Australian sleep schedules too much.  They're all jet-lagged enough as it is."  And, Goom thought silently, that was the time of day that Richard would normally be online.  They would need him to be at the meeting, too.

<Okay, then,> Estrid agreed, as Goom walked out of her profile.

Now, Goom thought, he had to find somebody with the reflexes needed to pull off the next part of the plan.  But who?

By an incredibly fortunate stroke of luck, at that very moment, a shiny aluminum android caught Goom's eye as he walked past, on his way to his own profile thread down the hall.

"Lumy!" Goom greeted.  "How've you been?  By the way, I have a small favor to ask of you . . . "

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
  • Your friendly neighbourhood plural system
« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2012, 02:51:27 PM »
*probably would have just told Ax, "We're a representative of the Ellimist, and we need your help, or EVERYBODY is gonna' die."*
XD
The universe is, instant by instant, re-created anew. There is, in truth, no Past, only a memory of the Past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. The only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.

-GNU Terry Pratchet, The Thief of Time

Offline Blazing Angel

• God
  • Back to the original.
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2012, 03:17:56 PM »
Help us Aximili, you're our only hope!
I am a Blazing Angel. Master of deviant traps and authentic barbecue. Brothers to Rukh the banner maker, Squall the Lionhearted and Underseen the generally sort of okay.

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2012, 03:34:58 PM »
Excellent chapter, Dino.

Help us Aximili, you're our only hope!

Of course -- the obligatory Princess Leia reference.  ;D

(January 7, 2020)

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2012, 05:30:09 PM »
Chapter Fifteen

Lumy had absolutely no idea what he was doing in Aquilai's profile thread.  Of course, he assumed it was for something vitally important, or else Goom wouldn't have been quite so secretive about it all.  Still, he kinda wished he knew what all the fuss was about.  But, to be honest, not by too much.  He was perfectly willing to do what he was told, regardless.  Why?  Because 'what he was told' sounded awesome.

Don't look at the description of the object, Goom had warned him.  Not even a glance.  Just take the thing with the blinking red light.  Don't even look at the object itself too hard, either, and do not try to figure out what it is, just take it.

It seemed kinda devious, to be stealing stuff from somebody else's profile thread, even somebody no longer there.  And especially when he would, by necessity, have no idea at all what it was that he was stealing.  But, it certainly seemed like not knowing what it was, was an important detail to . . . to whatever was going on.  As if the mere knowledge of what it was would . . . do something bad?  He wasn't sure quite why.  Goom had been mum on that point, too.  Maybe there was somebody else who wasn't supposed to know what it was and maybe that person could glean the knowledge right from Lumy's brain!  Yes, yes, that would make sense.

Well, it made RAFsense, anyway.

So Lumy walked along the metallic mesh walkway in Aquilai's room, looking for things with blinking red lights.  There it was!  That thing!

Quickly and furtively, Lumy grabbed the whatchamacallit and dashed for the door.  Re-entering the hallway, he immediately resumed a calm and cool demeanor, acting perfectly casual.  What whatchamacallit?  He hadn't stolen any whatchamacallit.  That would be ridiculous.  Of course he would never do such a thing.  What, just because he's part ninja, that automatically makes him a thief?  How racist.

He managed to resist the temptation to whistle as he walked down the hall, concealing the small object in the palm of his hand, just enough behind his back to keep it hidden without making it obvious he was hiding something.  He was pretty proud of himself, actually, as he casually ambled along.  He was certain that nobody looking at him would have suspected he was holding anything at all.

It was getting close to time for the meeting.  Lumy had very patiently waited until just beforehand to go to Aquilai's room, because Goom had warned him that he couldn't afford to hold onto the whatchamacallit for very long.  And Goom had stressed to him that he needed to be sure to attend the meeting.  That's where the main event would go down.  Lumy was supposed to- oh, but he probably wasn't supposed to think about that too much, either.  The whoever-it-was who could read minds and who wasn't supposed to know Lumy was stealing whatchamacallits, certainly couldn't be allowed to know what he planned to do with the whatchamacallit that he hadn't stolen.

It was a crazy world.  But then, that tended to be exactly how Lumy liked it.

Lumy looked at his watch, eager for the festivities to begin.  It was very tiring, trying not to think about all the things he wasn't supposed to think about.  But, it was time now to head to the Media Board.  The meeting was about to start.

Lumy teleported to the Media Board, where he took a central position towards the front of the amphitheatre to watch the now-familiar crowd gather.  The RAFians looked much more tired than last time.  The hopeless search for Noelle and Estelore had run nearly everyone ragged.

And, once again, the staff gathered at the front of the room.  After a slight pause, Richard appeared in their midst.  But it was Goom who began the meeting.

"First item of business," he said slowly.  "We've had another disappearance.  Aquilai disappeared some time last night."

Gasps of surprise swept through the crowd, followed at length by at least a few troubled sighs of resignation.  Another RAFian had disappeared?  And a Time Lord, no less.  If a Time Lord, an Andalite, and a star could vanish, then who was safe?  A silent panic crept up through the air, as each RAFian wondered whether they would be next.

"I know these disappearances have everybody on edge," Goom started.  Lumy knew that he was stalling for time.  "But there are other things we still can't afford to ignore.  Our last meeting was interrupted before we could lay out a more detailed plan regarding Pootang."

The crowd muttered anxiously at the name, now that every RAFian had become familiar with the creature in RAF's basement.  The audience itself seemed to seethe as various RAFians shifted uncomfortably in their seats, the general atmosphere of panic rising.

"We, the staff, had previously discussed the need to begin a training regimen," Goom went on.  "Intro Rando seems like a good place to gain some basic combat experience.  And, while we don't have a definite roster planned out just yet, we were thinking that we should pair off the older and more experienced RAFians with newer members.  To give newer members a feel for the forum, a one-on-one combat trainer, and a general place to go for advice.  Motion to move to a vote?"

"I second the motion," somebody called out from the audience.

"All in favor?" Goom asked.  Hands shot up all across the audience.  "Opposed?"  Only a few hands were raised this time.  "Okay, looks like the motion carries.  Now, for another item of business-"

He was suddenly interrupted by an urgent thought-speak voice.

<Unknown User!> the voice said.  <It's Unknown User!>

That was the signal from Ax.  "TONY!" Lumy said quickly, forcefully pitching the whatchamacallit towards him.  "CATCH!"

Tony looked up, startled at the abrupt mention of his name, and almost didn't see the device with the blinking red light that was suddenly flying towards his face.

"AAHH!" he yelled as he threw up his hands to defend himself.  He closed his fist reflexively around the object as it struck directly in the middle of his palm.

No sooner than he'd caught the thing, he was gone.  Vanished without a trace.

Tracking device and all.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 06:52:49 PM by DinosaurNothlit »

Offline Blazing Angel

• God
  • Back to the original.
« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2012, 06:04:48 PM »
And then tony threw the device to the ground, smashing it to bits, and screamed "TOUCHDOWN!"
I am a Blazing Angel. Master of deviant traps and authentic barbecue. Brothers to Rukh the banner maker, Squall the Lionhearted and Underseen the generally sort of okay.

Offline Darth Revan

• Master of the Star Forge!
  • Gold Donor
  • Now you see the true Dark Lord of the Sith!
« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2012, 08:01:50 PM »
Tony why?!?

For all those wanting some real training, I'll be setting up groups to enter my HALO RP thread. If you can survive waves of Covenant, you can survive one Pootang with multiple forms. :thumbsup:
RAFengaged to Midnight_Huntress

Offline Blazing Angel

• God
  • Back to the original.
« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2012, 08:40:46 PM »
The danger room in super hero RP could be used as an all purpose training room for overflow. We should also probably work on giving people actual personas, so that we don't have an army of meatbags fighting pootang.

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #71 on: June 07, 2012, 10:04:09 PM »
Lol, Blaze.  :XD:

*points politely at PM box* that, is really the best way to have a chance at persuading me to actually use your ideas.  Spoilers and all, remember?  Just saying.

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2012, 07:28:31 AM »
I just know that I would be standing at this . . . whenever I get edgy I must stand and pace (this is true IRL too).  I do not know why.

But excellent chapter, Dino.

(January 7, 2020)

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2012, 09:14:15 AM »
Chapter Sixteen

Tony blinked as he looked around, wondering where he was.  Everything around him was bright white, like he was trapped inside a sheet of paper.  There were no visible corners between the floor and the walls and the ceiling, no texture or delineations at all, simply endless white.  The only difference he could see, was some sort of . . . something . . . in the sky above him.  But it looked like nothing more than a small circular patch of brighter, glowing white within the endless expanse of whiteness.

Tony closed his eyes, suddenly feeling disoriented by the empty blank sameness all around him.  The seamless white endlessness was already playing tricks on his mind.  He considered sitting down until the dizziness passed, but decided that he had better stay standing.  He didn't want to be caught off-guard by whatever might reside in this strange place.

Wherever he was.

He opened his eyes again, this time looking down at the odd device that was still in his hand.  Why did he have this?  He had no real idea.  Catching it was the last thing he remembered before he had ended up here.  And the way Lumy had so urgently caught his attention to throw it to him, the thing seemed important.  Was this strange device the thing that had done this to him?

"Hey, we've got another one!" a voice called out, and Tony looked behind him to see a man dressed in a dark suit coat and blue tie.  "It's Aquilai," he introduced himself.  "I don't think we've met?"

"Tony, er, Unknown User," Tony said, specifying his username when he realized Aquilai might not have known his real name.  "Wait, is this where all the missing RAFians ended up?"

As if on cue, Tony spotted an Andalite, and another human, drawing near.  They both waved, and Tony waved back, as Aquilai curiously inspected the device in Tony's hand.

"Is that what I think it is?" Aquilai said hopefully.  "It is!  You brought the tracking device!  They'll be able to find us now!"  Tony handed over the device, which Aquilai happily took.

"So, where are we, anyway?" Tony asked.

"I'm hoping that this will be able to tell us that," Aquilai said, but then he furrowed his brow in consternation.  "Hmm.  That's . . . unexpected."

"What, what?" Tony asked impatiently.  "What is it?"

"Well, this red light would be signalling our location within the internet.  But it's off.  And this green light?  It should be connected to real-world GPS signals, it should tell where we are if we're in the real world.  And it's off, too!" Aquilai said, wrinkling his eyebrows in frustration.

<So, wait . . . we're neither in the internet, nor in reality?> Noelle asked as she neared the other two.  <How is that possible?  I was able to briefly access RAF, before.  Right at the same time Aquilai disappeared.>

"Perhaps this is limbo," Estelore commented.

"No, I doubt we're stuck between heaven and earth," Tony said.  "Although, if all of us were dead, that might explain some things."

Aquilai had brought out a device that looked like a high-tech flashlight, which buzzed with blue light as he shone it on the tracking device.  "It's working, though.  Everything in it is working perfectly.  It just isn't receiving signals from anywhere, neither the real world, or the internet.  Where could we be, that wouldn't be . . . oh, man."

"What now?" Tony asked.

Aquilai sighed, supporting his forehead with his hand.  "I think I know where we are.  It's something that's occurred to me before, but I didn't want to acknowledge it as a legitimate possibility.  But, it would explain everything that's happened.  The reason people are disappearing from RAF and then reappearing here, why we can't access the internet most of the time, and it would even explain why Noelle was able to access the internet but only at the moment that I vanished.  You guys really aren't going to like it, though."

"Stop stalling, tell us," Estelore said impatiently.  "This is what we've been trying to figure out ever since we got here."

". . . I think we've been downloaded," Aquilai said grimly.  "I think we're on a blank data drive somewhere.  A flash drive.  Or, well, the more advanced equivalent, since a regular flash drive would never be able to store a human consciousness.  They probably only plug us into a computer when they're downloading somebody else."

"What?!" Tony raged.  "So, somebody out there is downloading RAFians?!  I am not a file, I am a human being!"

<Oh man,> Noelle said anxiously, obviously not liking the situation.  <We've got to find a way out of here.  There has to be a way to contact the rest of RAF, tell them where we are.>

Aquilai was still scanning the tracking device.  "Maybe I can still use this.  It should have RAF's location stored within it, and as soon as it comes online its signal would connect through.  If I can boost that signal, I may be able to forge a stronger connection to RAF than what Noelle was able to achieve.  We may be able to get a message through.  Of course, that only works if we can time it just right, when they're downloading somebody else."

"What message, though?" Tony wondered.  "We still don't know where we are."

"Well, I do have a theory about that part," Aquilai said hesitantly.  "I think I probably already know who is behind all of this.  There's only one entity I can think of, who would have the technology to even attempt a feat this technologically complex.  I mean, downloading a human consciousness, that's bordering on the impossible.  The only people in the real world that could be that advanced, are the same people who invented the internet teleportation technology in the first place.  It has to be."

It took Tony a couple seconds to put it all together.  But then it clicked in his mind, and he groaned in frustration.

"You honestly mean to tell me that we're in a flash drive," he began.  "Sitting on some mad scientist's desk.  In ever-loving Switzerland?!"

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2012, 09:59:56 AM »
Bom bom BOOOOM!

(January 7, 2020)