Author Topic: Listen up Applegate! Got an awesome idea for the continuation of the series!  (Read 9311 times)

Offline ANItiger13

• ....Yay....
  • Xtreme Member
  • Back to the basics
    • Ken/UMP's YouTube Channel
Okay. I think dropping Tobias because of a personal feeling towards him would be kind of weird. No matter how you feel about him, he's an important character. Also, the story you gave him doesn't seem right.

Also, skipping the 8 years and just giving a prologue...There would probably be a ton to explain. You'd have to explain things like how they survived, what happened to The One, Ax and why Tobias decided to live his life when he had the chance to die and be with Rachel, I guess. It'd be a lot.
There's a method to my madness, I just haven't figured it out yet.

Offline Yorick Brown

Okay. I think dropping Tobias because of a personal feeling towards him would be kind of weird. No matter how you feel about him, he's an important character. Also, the story you gave him doesn't seem right.

It wasn't just that. In my post, I did say that I sincerely wanted the character to find some peace. If Applegate couldn't give him a break, at least I can.

Also, I couldn;t picture him patroling space as easily as the rest. I think his story does seem right. He has plenty of people who love him besides Rachel if only he could open it. I'm going to explain the successful rescue mission led to Tobias getting a revelation and decies to put soem meaning back into his life.

We could still use fragmented coversations and flashbacks over the series that the reader can piece together. I really don't think it's that big of a prority.
This great evil - where's it come from?
How'd it steal into the world?
What seed, what root did it grow from?
Who's doing this?
Who's killing us, robbing us of life and light, mocking us with the sight of what we mighta known?
Does our ruin benefit the earth, aid the grass to grow and the sun to shine?  Is this darkness in you, too?  Have you passed through this night?

Offline Essam 293

• Dedicated Archiver
  • Xtreme Member
    • Hirac Delest - An Animorphs Archive
um...is there a reason you made the same thread in the animorphs section?

Yeah. I wasn't sure where to put this. Now my thraed over their got deleted and it was probably your fault again because you're a... Here I go on. I'm shutting up now but just know that I was ready to insult your regularly annoying self.

Can't you ever shut up and quit asking about the content of the question and actually answer the question? How does anyone here put up with you?

By the way, did any of you thrree realize that you never said if my idea was good or not?

Hey, back off! It wasn't morfowt's fault that your thread got deleted. It was your fault because you duplicated it. It would've been deleted either way. If anything, he was showing some interest in your topic. The only reason I didn't particularly ask why you posted it twice was because I just couldn't care less.

As for your idea, I didn't like it. I thought it was lame. Sorry. I avoided saying that earlier because I didn't have anything positive to say, but since you pushed for an answer, there it is. Hope you learned something from that.

Also check out: ANIMORPHS ANIMATED | ANIMORPHS 300

Xbox Live/PSN Gamertag: Aximlli

Offline ANItiger13

• ....Yay....
  • Xtreme Member
  • Back to the basics
As for your idea, I didn't like it. I thought it was lame. Sorry. I avoided saying that earlier because I didn't have anything positive to say, but since you pushed for an answer, there it is. Hope you learned something from that.

Um, really, I was trying to avoid saying something like that, but I do agree that it's a lame idea. I'm not sure I read it right, but, did you put that Tobias had an attraction to Melissa? Cuz that just doesn't work.

Offline Liz

• Gold Donor
    • Facebook
8-10 years after the events of The Beginning, many of the original Animorphs are back together again for more adventures.

After rescuing Ax from the One, Jake and Marco and Ax are crew members of the 'Tiger Claw' (or the 'Star Wolf.' Not sure which I'd use yet.) A spaceship in part of a Andalite-Human alliance starfleet captained by Jake himself. The three and a joint crew of humans and andalites (which includes Estrid) patrol the galaxy stopping dying Yeerk factions and other alien terrors threatening sentient life. (No. I never even heard of "Star Trek" at all...)

Maybe 'The Star Wolf Chronicles' as a working title?

(Tobias is back on Earth, finally getting over Rachel day by day with the help of her best friend Melissa who has an attarction to. He's making a realtionship with his now-sightcapable mother thanks to advancements in medicines influenced by Andalite technological aid. He recently decided to live out his life as a human. He's not in this new series because I couldn't stand his moping and mysterious nature in the original series. Plus, I just wanted to give him a break after awhile. Cassie isn't in it because I'm sure she's tired of the fight and would concern herself with Earth conservation efforts.)

Hmm.  The plot kind of sounds like one of those direct-to-video Disney sequels to me (not that this is necessarily a bad thing; I for one find all the Beauty and the Beast spinoffs quite entertaining).  Especially Estrid joining the team again, I just don't see it happening.

I don't think putting Tobias and Melissa together is a great idea either, but I guess it doesn't matter since he's not in the story anyway. xD

Offline Yorick Brown

I didn't actually. Not because you didn't like my idea but because you didn't explain why. Please do.

Hmm.  The plot kind of sounds like one of those direct-to-video Disney sequels to me

How so?

Um, really, I was trying to avoid saying something like that, but I do agree that it's a lame idea. I'm not sure I read it right, but, did you put that Tobias had an attraction to Melissa? Cuz that just doesn't work.

Can't you see it? Melissa is grieving over Rachel. Tobias is grieving over Rachel. They try to heal each other but then become friends and the one night they finally kiss and realize they've fallen in love. (I've been watching WAY too many teen soaps.)

But he's not in the story anyway so what does it matter?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 12:09:47 AM by Yorick »
Who's doing this?
Who's killing us, robbing us of life and light, mocking us with the sight of what we mighta known?
Does our ruin benefit the earth, aid the grass to grow and the sun to shine?  Is this darkness in you, too?  Have you passed through this night?

Offline wotw2112

First off, the idea just seems a bit too "it's been done before".  The idea (or at least my understanding of it) seems to be beating a dead horse.

That said, gonna try some constructive criticism:

1. Jake leading an entire fleet?  Seems like a stretch.  The Andalites would never go for something like that (the whole arrogance thing that is so integral to their nature).  Maybe a ragtag human fleet just getting off the ground being sent into some of the worst/deadliest missions by reluctant andalite handlers?  Definitely no joint crew/no Estrid.  Maybe Ax.

2. Unlike what seems to be the general concensus: I actually could see Tobias/Melissa kinda working out.  Of course some kind of traumatic event would probably have to befall Melissa for there to be any hope of that...or they could connect over their shared loss of Rachel?  I don't know.  It's doable but you'd have to take steps to make it believable (write a solid background of some kind).  Still can't take them out of it altogether (maybe they reconnect when Melissa joins up with the fleet in the wake of her own personal tragedy (husband dies? Father dies?))

3. Jake should keep the Rachel.  It seems more appropriate

4. Better title needed.  Sorry, no suggestions as yet.

5. Cassie is kinda worthless to any future stories as she didn't go with them on the Rachel. Maybe work her in as a political something or other on Earth/with the Andalites?

6.  Do not break with the Animorphs mystique.  It would have to be a very dark and unforgiving series/book/movie.  (No Disney moments)

You should consider writing some kind of basic outline.

Just a few thoughts.  Take them for what they're worth.
"Well, that idea might make a stupid idea feel better about itself."
"His goat killed you?"
"I love you shovel."
"Your conscience calls you on the telephone?"

Offline wotw2112

Maybe a ragtag human fleet just getting off the ground

HA!  No pun intended!  ;D
"Well, that idea might make a stupid idea feel better about itself."
"His goat killed you?"
"I love you shovel."
"Your conscience calls you on the telephone?"

Offline ANItiger13

• ....Yay....
  • Xtreme Member
  • Back to the basics

Can't you see it? Melissa is grieving over Rachel. Tobias is grieving over Rachel. They try to heal each other but then become friends and the one night they finally kiss and realize they've fallen in love. (I've been watching WAY too many teen soaps.)

But he's not in the story anyway so what does it matter?

1. Wow, you have...it doesn't seem to work...
2. I keep forgetting he's not in the story.

Offline Yorick Brown

1) Jake isn't captain of an entire fleet. Just the Star Wolf/Tiger Claw
2) Yes. Connect over the loss of Rachel. But this is just a minor point ina  character's life that isn't in the mian story
3) It was destroyed in Ax's rescue
4) It was just a working title
5) Wouldn't have it any other way

The first book would have Jake and the gang trying to stop one of the dying Yeerk factions from claiming the Hork-Bajir homeworld. (After The Prophecy, the last Arn successfully cloned many Hork-Bajir.)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 01:46:59 PM by Yorick »
Who's doing this?

Offline Venom

• Xtreme Member
  • We are Venom
also don't steal the name starwolf, stick with tigerclaw
RAFDating Marie. Jealous?

And then Buffy staked Edward. The End

Basically I put everyone who looks like a good guy in Gryffindor and everyone who looks like a bad guy in Slytherin. The rest can go wherever the hell they want, I don't care.

Offline Liz

• Gold Donor
    • Facebook
Hmm.  The plot kind of sounds like one of those direct-to-video Disney sequels to me

How so?

It reminds me of those Buzz Lightyear movies that don't really have anything to do with Toy Story, it's just Star Command fighting Emperor Zurg.

I mean, it sounds like a good plot, but to me it seems like a different or separate thing from Animorphs, especially because Tobias and Cassie aren't in the story.

Offline Yorick Brown

also don't steal the name starwolf, stick with tigerclaw

I didn't steal the name Star Wolf. Funny enough, I stole the name Tiger Claw from a ship in the movie Wing Commander

I mean, it sounds like a good plot, but to me it seems like a different or separate thing from Animorphs, especially because Tobias and Cassie aren't in the story.

They'll still be able to moroh...
Who's doing this?

Offline ThermalRider

• Workin' Them Angels
um...is there a reason you made the same thread in the animorphs section?

Yeah. I wasn't sure where to put this. Now my thraed over their got deleted and it was probably your fault again because you're a... Here I go on. I'm shutting up now but just know that I was ready to insult your regularly annoying self.

Can't you ever shut up and quit asking about the content of the question and actually answer the question? How does anyone here put up with you?

By the way, did any of you thrree realize that you never said if my idea was good or not?

Dude. Not cool.All I'm going to say about that. And by the way, the only question you asked in your original post, was about the title, (which I did not care for) not about your story idea.

That being said, I will try to give some feedback about your idea.

Overall, I don't like it.

First of all, leaving out the Rachel battle except for little hints can't happen. Even if it doesn't happen right away, you have to get deep into it because the fans need and want to know what happened.

I don't mind the characters being older. They would be around 30 not the 24-26 you thought. If you remember in The Beginning, there was a few years between the pool ship battle and the One, making them about 19. Anyways, this was the one idea of yours that I liked. It would definitely put a new spin on things. We spent a lot of time with kids fighting a war, lets see how they do when they're older.

Like someone else, said, I'm not sure that I can see a mixed Andalite/Human fleet. It seems awkward. Obviously there would be a lot of contact between the two races and that sort of thing which adds to the story, but it seems too soon for things to have become so integrated. Maybe just Ax and one or two other Andalites with the Human ship and vice versa. However, I think that after so long, Jake would be tired of war and wouldn't want to lead so much. But his responsibility wouldn't let him leave completely but I see him as taking more of a desk position and commanding from the back, not the frontlines.

Next, you can't cut out Tobias and/or Cassie. You just can't. Regardless of whether or not you like them, they have to be included because they are a central part of the story and have huge relationships with the other characters. It would be like when they made the Superman movie, if the screenplay writer didn't like Lois Lane, so he just didn't include her. Doesn't work. You take the whole work, or none of it. If you want to write them out somehow, like if they died, that's one thing, but you can't just leave them off in the shadows.

I don't see the Tobias/Melissa thing, I really don't. To me it just doesn't work. But Tobias' sadness/loneliness over Rachel seems to be the perfect reason for him to want to wander space, searching for answers.

As for Cassie, there are so many things possible with her character. Her past relationship with Jake could cause a lot of tension between the two whenever they are together. Jake and Cassie will always love each other no matter what they say, so there is a lot of opportunity there. Plus, if Cassie is still in politics, decisions or policies that she makes can affect her friends in the field, therefore further complicating relationships and possibly clouding her own judgement when trying to be a good politician.

Sorry about this being such a long post but you wanted feedback so there it is. I think your idea needs some serious rethinks  and overhauls to make it work. But that's what writing is, editing and revising. I don't think it was all that great of an idea, but that's just me.

Offline Yorick Brown

And by the way, the only question you asked in your original post, was about the title, (which I did not care for) not about your story idea.

(chuckles) I don't even know how to reply to this...

First of all, leaving out the Rachel battle except for little hints can't happen. Even if it doesn't happen right away, you have to get deep into it because the fans need and want to know what happened.

Sure they need to know, Hence all the hints. I have too much respect for readers to have everything spelled out for them and to slow down the narrative for constant flashback and exposition.

Like someone else, said, I'm not sure that I can see a mixed Andalite/Human fleet. It seems awkward. Obviously there would be a lot of contact between the two races and that sort of thing which adds to the story, but it seems too soon for things to have become so integrated. Maybe just Ax and one or two other Andalites with the Human ship and vice versa.

That's the thing. I'm taking a page from Enterprise and making the alliance an uneasy, reluctant and very awkward thing for both races. Much of the drama will be how Andalite and human values clash. Also, I was planning on just having Ax and Estrid join the team with the humans Jake, Marco, Santorelli and Jeanne Gerard.

Next, you can't cut out Tobias and/or Cassie. You just can't. Regardless of whether or not you like them, they have to be included because they are a central part of the story and have huge relationships with the other characters. It would be like when they made the Superman movie, if the screenplay writer didn't like Lois Lane, so he just didn't include her. Doesn't work. You take the whole work, or none of it. If you want to write them out somehow, like if they died, that's one thing, but you can't just leave them off in the shadows.

They're the central characters of Animorophs but not the Star Wolf Chronicles. It's a completely new and different story with new heroes joining the fight. Also, I truly believe Cassie would have no interest in such a fight and be bsuy wiuth Earth conservation efforts while Tobias would have also hated the fight and want to make a new life for himself on Earth.

But Tobias' sadness/loneliness over Rachel seems to be the perfect reason for him to want to wander space, searching for answers.

It explains why he joined the rescue mission but I'm going to explain that his experiences with saving Ax made him realize that life continues and he can't feel sorry for himself forever. Also, it'd just look stupid seeing a hawk in a spaceship.

As for Cassie, there are so many things possible with her character. Her past relationship with Jake could cause a lot of tension between the two whenever they are together. Jake and Cassie will always love each other no matter what they say, so there is a lot of opportunity there. Plus, if Cassie is still in politics, decisions or policies that she makes can affect her friends in the field, therefore further complicating relationships and possibly clouding her own judgement when trying to be a good politician.

I don't believe that Jake and Cassie will love each other forever. Like I said above, Cassie would be too tired of teh fight to join another battle. And this a space adventure series so where would politics fit?

Cassie has served her purpose. Let her go.

Who's doing this?