Author Topic: The animorphs' most unethical choices.  (Read 6270 times)

Offline Chad32

• God
The animorphs' most unethical choices.
« on: January 29, 2011, 12:47:43 PM »
Most if not all of the Anis have done something bad during the series. Justified or not in people's opinions. There's a thread talking about what Cassie did, and we know some stuff that others did. So what do you think the worst thing each animorph did was?

I say most because I'm not really sure all of them did something horrible.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Nar Klawip

• Raf's Ever-Lovin' Blue-Eyed Howler
Re: The animorphs' most unethical choices.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 01:55:43 PM »
Dang, you beat me to it Chad

Jake: flushed 17,372 Yeerks without warning

Marco:
set up his mom to die, then tried to kill her

Cassie: trapping David, erasing John Berryman from existence, taking a host as a Yeerk, making Ax into a controller

Rachel: threatening David and his family

Ax: threatened to drop a nuke on the yeerk pool, which would destroy the entire town

Tobias: hmm, cant really think of anything right now

“In reality life seldom comes in simple shades of black and white. The choices in the real world, the choices we most often face, are all in shades of gray.”
Aximili-Esgarrouth-Isthill, The Arrival

“Sometimes even the good guys do bad things. Doesn’t mean there’s no difference between good and evil.”
Jake Berenson, The Conspiracy
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 05:01:53 PM by Gumrad »
"When life gives you lemons you make lemonade. When a dying Andalite Prince gives you the morphing power? Well then you make miracles." ~Me

“Screams of a billion murdered stars give lie to the night's peace, while we cling desperately to the few fragile spinning stones we call worlds." ~Hasturi the Mad Perseid, Andromeda

“Well, remember what you said, because in a day or two, I'll have a witty and blistering retort! You'll be devastated THEN!” ~ Calvin, Calvin and Hobbes

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 01:59:34 PM »
Took a host as a Yeerk?

Yeah, I can't really think of anything Tobias did either. That's kind of funny when I think about it.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline AniDragon

• Gold Donor
  • Train of thought, like broken pencil, has no point
    • My tumblr
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 02:00:55 PM »
I wouldn't say that making Ax into a Controller was COMPLETELY unethical. It was to save his life, and they all knew by then that Aftran was trustworthy. Well... Okay, I guess I could see how it would be a BIT unethical, since I don't think Ax would have ever agreed to it, but I wouldn't classify it as one of her MOST unethical choices.
~AniDragon, aka Riona-chan~

Currently Reading: Winterwode, by J Tullos Hennig
Currently Writing: Demon's Bane
Currently Editing: Elder's Requiem

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 02:04:03 PM »
Oh, that? Well either Ax gets temporarily infested, or he dies. Regardless of his personal beliefs, I think he came out better for it. It wasn't possible to get his permission, nor would she have much time to convince him anyway. It was either do that, or let him die.

Besides, it made for a very funny scene.

Aftran: (deadpan) <No Cassie, He's screaming because he has a Yeerk in his head.>

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Nar Klawip

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 02:22:22 PM »
Oh, that? Well either Ax gets temporarily infested, or he dies. Regardless of his personal beliefs, I think he came out better for it. It wasn't possible to get his permission, nor would she have much time to convince him anyway. It was either do that, or let him die.

Besides, it made for a very funny scene.

Aftran: (deadpan) <No Cassie, He's screaming because he has a Yeerk in his head.>

I guess thats true, so maybe it wasn't her most unethical decision, and it was funny.
"When life gives you lemons you make lemonade. When a dying Andalite Prince gives you the morphing power? Well then you make miracles." ~Me

“Screams of a billion murdered stars give lie to the night's peace, while we cling desperately to the few fragile spinning stones we call worlds." ~Hasturi the Mad Perseid, Andromeda

“Well, remember what you said, because in a day or two, I'll have a witty and blistering retort! You'll be devastated THEN!” ~ Calvin, Calvin and Hobbes

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 02:48:21 PM »
Jake: Flushing the 17,000 yeerks.  Not even a question.

Rachel: Surprisingly enough, I can't think of anything that really stands out.  A murder here, a few lives taken there, and it adds up to be a lot, but there's no one thing that she's guilty of.  Threatening David was a low point, sure, but she's done worse overall.  If I had to pick one thing, though, I'd probably say killing Tom.

Tobias: Nobody else remembered that he made the call to wipe out an entire race?  Anybody remember the Mercora?  True, he had no choice, because it had 'already happened,' but he still made the call, and that was pretty cold.

Cassie: Giving Tom the morphing cube.  Indirect as it may have been, I consider her, and not Jake, responsible for Tom and Rachel's deaths, since neither of them would have needed to die if Jake had been able to stop Tom (Jake wouldn't even have needed to kill him to get the cube back, IMHO).  After that, Jake was just making the only decision available to him.  And without Rachel dying, Jake wouldn't have been desperate enough to think of flushing the 17,000 yeerks, so Cassie shares some of the responsibility for those lives, too.

Marco: Shoving his own mother off a cliff.

Ax: Even considering allowing the Andalites to 'quarantine' earth in book 52.  The fact that he considered dropping a nuke on one city doesn't even compare to the fact that he was actually thinking about betraying our entire freaking planet.  To be honest, though, I really thought that book was out of character for him.  He'd decided as early as book 18 that his loyalty lay with his human prince rather than any Andalite commander.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 02:51:44 PM by DinosaurNothlit »

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 02:53:47 PM »
Oh yeah, I forgot about Time of Dinos. Yeah, just because five kids had never heard of Mercora fossils, Tobias figured that asteroid had to be THE asteroid. I'd count that.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Nar Klawip

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 05:05:02 PM »
Oh yeah, I forgot about Time of Dinos. Yeah, just because five kids had never heard of Mercora fossils, Tobias figured that asteroid had to be THE asteroid. I'd count that.

So would I. I knew someone would think of something for him.

Offline Morilore

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2011, 05:30:53 PM »
Dinos...

That book never happened  >:(

Jake's is obvious, and Cassie's is a flamewar, so I'll skip those.

Rachel: You guys remember when she took command and almost got everyone killed?  I'd call that "unethical."  What else do you call refusing to listen to the considered counsel of her teammates because of pride and nothing else?

Tobias: Not ratting out Ax, or at least pressuring him to come clean, when he realized what the Andalites were up to before anyone else.

Marco: I don't regard pushing his mother off a cliff as "unethical," unless we express similar ire for every time the Animorphs killed a Hork-Bajir involuntary.  It's the same principle.  Indeed, refusing to kill her of all Yeerks because of personal reasons would be more unethical.  No, my vote for that is when he made no effort at all to save Nora, knowing that she was almost certainly an innocent bystander and from an ethical perspective deserved no worse than his father. 

Ax: Obvious: not coming clean about the Andalite plan (or at least his suspicions) until it was almost too late.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2011, 05:49:42 PM »
Yeah, forgetting about Nora and telling a lie to his dad about her already being a controller was pretty bad. Just because you want your family back the way it was doesn't undermine Nora as a person, especially since she wasn't even a bad person. she had a volatile dog, but I don't think there was ever any negative thing about her character. She was just Marco's replacement scrappy, as it were.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Darth Zakryn

• Banned
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2011, 06:24:30 PM »

Yeah, I agree about Nora too. Does anyone think Erek has a most unethical moment?

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2011, 06:26:43 PM »
Draining the pool ship's power and neglecting to mention the Howler's being child-like are both pretty unethical choices for Erek.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2011, 07:39:46 PM »
Rachel: You guys remember when she took command and almost got everyone killed?  I'd call that "unethical."  What else do you call refusing to listen to the considered counsel of her teammates because of pride and nothing else?

Haha, speaking of books that never happened . . . :P

Yeah, I totally forgot about that one.  But, I dunno, I probably forgot about that because I think that book was out of character for Rachel.  Yes, she always takes huge risks, I realize that.  But she really only risks herself, and her own life and limb.  She doesn't ever make stupid decisions that put anybody else in danger (at least, not when she has a chance to think about it first), and in fact, will often put herself stupidly in danger to help one of her friends.  So I thought that book was way off base with how she would act if she were made leader.

Draining the pool ship's power and neglecting to mention the Howler's being child-like are both pretty unethical choices for Erek.

Well, according to him, he didn't neglect to mention about the Howlers.  He says he didn't know.  Apparently, their emotions, their persona or whatever, didn't come across in the version of their memories that he 'downloaded.'  Kind of makes sense, I guess.  Crayak could have found a way to compel the Howlers not to knowingly share that part of themselves, lest others realize their secret Achilles heel.  So they might have left that out of the memories that they sold to the Iskoort.

If you ask me, Erek's most unethical choice was throwing away the Pemalite crystal.  Yeah, so the Chee are against fighting, and to some extent, I respect that.  Hell, I'm even a bit jealous of the fact that they can honestly say that they had never taken another life (until that one day Erek went berserk).  But when a sentient species is being enslaved, can you really justify standing back and doing nothing?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 08:08:21 PM by DinosaurNothlit »

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
  • RAF's Official Unofficial Canadian Ambassador
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2011, 08:08:59 PM »
     It wasn't there war.

So, yea, it's justifiable.
Tony's pet Goose.
Unknown User is my shorm.
:raftrophy:
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)
The picture is rather accurate