Author Topic: Animorphs: A New Beginning  (Read 54718 times)

Offline Kelran-Isthinar

• Tempus Fugit
Re: Animorphs: A New Beginning
« Reply #435 on: September 02, 2008, 01:38:47 PM »
Kelran gave a cursory glance to the rest of the arriving group, paying much more attention as Hu told of his fight, all the while absently working Nicholes problem on a sheet of paper.

When he was done he showed it to her, she looked at it like it was written in an alien language, and Kelran realized he had written it all in Gryphonic. "Apologies. I understand your numeral system fairly well but I havent had time to assimilate your written language in its entirety, let me convert it...."

Kelran proceeded to re-convert the equation to something resembling human standard.
"You see, in this case the prcuilar interaction of the operations, the negative/positive sinage, and the parenthetical offsets (parentheses) require an intense amount of thought to discern. Its much easier to see if you convert the whole thing to this format first..... Kelran quickly did some conversions of number characters and symbols in his head, then wrote out a peculiar expression.
"Its actually based in a complex mathematical shortcut I dont fully understand having to do with sub-space matrices, but the point is, it works and while it doesnt eliminate the work itself, its alot simpler and less error prone than what your teacher or your text-book are telling you to do."

He turned to the others, "Perhaps you could demonstrate which of your alphanumeric characters stand for each sound in basic so that I can make a conversion plot and memorize your full written language. Its fairly simple, our spoken dialects seem to be almost precisely alike, so its just a matter of different alphanumerics and their phonetic conversion rules. Id guess you have... 24? 26? 28? characters in your alphabet?"
*anything* is possible, *some* things are probable, this is what is.
And I will continue to deal with what is...
Until it is no more....

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #436 on: September 02, 2008, 01:55:49 PM »
"26." Emily said. "This is very cool. Learning advanced ways to do math in a more simpler fashion. I wonder if there are other things that could be made clearer by advanced technologies, like language or science? Well, of course science."

"Try not to make it too obvious that you're being tutored by an advanced race, though." Cody said.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline traycon3

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • I'm sitting on Jesse because he is comfy! XD
« Reply #437 on: September 02, 2008, 04:50:27 PM »
"I won't. Er...I will. What I'll probably do is I'll probably use this to double-check my work, but other than that, I'll get this way figured out. I figure trying to explain how in heck I figured out this equasion isn't exactly something I'd look forward to..." She bent over her paper, scribbling a bit, making sure she could work it out. Now that she had the answer, she found it much easier to work backwards to the original goal. "Ok, thanks." She smiled genuenly relieved to have gotten it worked out. And relieved that she had managed to get through the whole ordeal without a huge episode. "So...what's up?"
I'm not real anymore. I am an illusion. -Rob Thomas, "I am an Illusion"

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #438 on: September 02, 2008, 09:30:41 PM »
"Okay, on to business. Kelran and I went to the observatory today to get some info, but the system got crashed. For now, the observatory is out of the question. We now need a plan B for figuring out which way Kelran's home is. That way, when we try to steal a bug fighter he'll know which way to go to return home." Cody said.

"Do you have a plan B?" Emily asked.

"Not at the moment. Unless we want to sneak into the police station and hack Yeerk computers."

"Maybe if Kelran tried with Yeerk computers, he would be able to use trinary without crashing the system."

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
  • 188 of 1,657 "Memoirs" books completed
« Reply #439 on: September 02, 2008, 09:36:26 PM »
Hu listened to this impassively.  He was never really understood computers, either from his own world or this one.  But he was aware that a plan was formulating.

"Better have a Plan C, D, E, F, and G, too.  Just in case something goes wrong -- as it inevitably will, as stated by Aphrym's law and such." he said calmly and coolly.

((Aphrym's law = Murphy's law))

Book 189: "Shenecron's Pets"
Chapter 4: "First Attempt"
(January 7, 2020)

RAFians Referenced Specifically: Demos.

Offline Kelran-Isthinar

• Tempus Fugit
« Reply #440 on: September 02, 2008, 10:51:16 PM »
"Aphrym's law? sounds like the expletive theorum. Anything that can go wrong, will, and youll need an extensive vocabulary of expletives to compensate. As for trinary in Yeerk machines, Im not sure.
Id need several minutes to examine one of their devices.
I know for example that while most races weve run across use trinary, that some slightly less advanced ones use a bridge system that sits between the two called tetra-decimal.
But Im totally unfamiliar with it. Binary is required pre-educational information, like an alphabet, trinary is a standard low-level schooling course with more advanced elective courses at all other stages of schooling and even in the academy.
Tetra-decimal is more like a foreign language. Ive actually taken a decent amount of trinary, but not as much as some people I know."

Kelran hoped to stall any plans long enough to get his device finished and get back to the observatory. He quite frankly didnt feel like explaining the myriad reasons and justifications for all this. Better to ask forgiveness than permission.
Until it is no more....

Offline Yarin

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Per scientia totus est ostendo sum
« Reply #441 on: September 02, 2008, 11:08:40 PM »
(hey guys sorry i haven't been posting recently.  I'll post something later today)
Live in peace and let your enemies be, but fiercely protect the ones you love. The Nyac Credo.

"Take me to jail please a Klingon is after me" Cave Guy Freakazoid  Freak-A-Panel.

"The fiction will see the real. The answer will question still."  Coheed and Cambria The Willing Well I: Fuel For The Feeding End 

The Pentagon has no contract with aliens or with afterlife entities... That I'm aware of... At this time

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #442 on: September 03, 2008, 09:15:30 AM »
"Tell you guys what? Let's all think some more about it, while we move on to Hu's problem." Cody said. He didn't have numerous ideas like Hu suggested, but he wanted to sound proactive. Bened has joined the Yeerk side. We need to figure out what he's up to, and see how much of a threat he is. This will be a simple recon mission, so if any volunteer can come along. Otherwise, you can continue with your own thing."

Cody noticed offhand that Kelran had some kind of machine he was working on. Maybe it had something to do with the cave, but he couldn't tell. Cody, Hu, and Emily started to leave for Yarin's ship t grant him morphing ability.

"It would be good for you to get a bird morph like the rest of us, and possibly a Human morph." Emily said.

((Ok, this will be Kelran's opportunity to stay and do his own thing instead. When we get to the ship, I'll let Cloak describe what happens to Hu.))

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline traycon3

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • I'm sitting on Jesse because he is comfy! XD
« Reply #443 on: September 03, 2008, 09:31:56 AM »
"Wait, I'm coming," Cole replied distractedly. She gathered up her papers. "Thanks again, Kelran," she said with a warm smile.

((Lol, do you think Yarin'll be jealous or something that she went to Kelran instead of him?))
I'm not real anymore. I am an illusion. -Rob Thomas, "I am an Illusion"

Offline Kelran-Isthinar

• Tempus Fugit
« Reply #444 on: September 03, 2008, 10:23:18 AM »
((Well, Yarin has no reason to worry, Kelran is practically allergic to the idea of romance in any fashion.  ::)  :P))

Kelran went back to his work as everyone else filed out of the cave. As Cody left Kelran noticed him shooting a glance at the hand held computer he had now almost entirely dis-assembled. He seemed intrigued by the odd half bitten fruit shaped logo stamped onto the back in brushed aluminum. (The apple logo, its an iphone) but mercifully he didnt ask Kelran where he had gotten it or why.

Now, 'to convert the matrices of the programming chips to accept trinary based voltages....' Kelran thought to himself....
Until it is no more....

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #445 on: September 03, 2008, 10:24:52 AM »
Hu arrived at yarin's ship with the others.  He personally disliked the overly-technological feel of it, but said nothing.  He didn't want to offend Yarin.  Or the humans.  He wasn't very enthused (sp?) about getting a human morph -- but a bird he wouldn't mind.  He offend wondered what it was like to fly.

Some the technician mages back on Aruten achieved space travel, but Hu decided that he never had the stomach for such a thing.  But thinking of this made him miss his home, and the life he used to have.

Eventually, the others presented him with a cube.  "What is this?"

They explained to him that it would grant him the ability to morph.  All he had to do was touch it.  His curiosity got the better of him, and he did.  A few seconds later, Hu wish he hadn't.

ZZZZZZZZAP!

He unsheathed his claws in reflex, as he roared.  A blue mist rose from the hand he used to touch the cube.  The mist turned to orange and then vanished.

Hu panted, "I guess morphing and Smilodites are a no-no."

((Sorry if I skipped ahead.  By the way, Smilodites are a very curious species -- curious to a fault.  I think the wormhole thing proves this, though . . .))
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 10:43:02 AM by CloakedFigure »

(January 7, 2020)

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #446 on: September 03, 2008, 10:40:35 AM »
"Aah!" Cody yelped in surprise when the cube zapped Hu. "That didn't happen the last two times."

"Do you think something's wrong with it." Emily said, as she looked at Hu's hand.

"Who knows? Forget the cube, then. Emily, can you tell us where an entrance to the pool is? Bened might be in the Pool area."

"Of course. There's an entrance at the school."

After getting to the school during the evening, Cody used his bug morph to get inside and unlock the door. They then proceeded to the janitor's closet, where Emily manipulated a number of items to open the way.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Kelran-Isthinar

• Tempus Fugit
« Reply #447 on: September 03, 2008, 12:29:19 PM »
((if we have their pool break in occur at the same time as Kelran's observatory break in, maybe the two incidences will be enough of a distraction to ensure that both suceed.))

At about the same time as Emily was pusing coat hangars and pulling locker handles, Kelran was fitting the wiring of his new device back into the case.

The iphone now sported several external cable connectors and no longer looked quite as sleek as it used to.

Kelran flicked the power switch, and recieved a prompt. He entered a few trinary tester instructions.
The device beeped atonally several times.
Kelran smiled.
Until it is no more....

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #448 on: September 03, 2008, 01:54:46 PM »
Hu felt a bit useless, as he could help the humans as he was.  He couldn't very well waltz into the area littered with those boxy inhabitations of humans.  Being one of the only two Smilodites on Earth, he knew he'd attract attention.

He looked at his hand where he touched the box, only the tips of the fur hairs bore any visible damage, which would be eliminated when the hairs would be molted off.  There had to be a way he could get down to the Pool.  Hu was certain that Bened would be there.

But it was too late . . . they were already off.  He fiddled with the clasp on his gray cloak, and discovered that his body had disappeared.  He continued to fiddle with the unseen clasp, and his body wobbled into sight again.

Apparently, his Master granted him a very special cloak. . . .

((I imagine that Bened would be the Yeerk's version of Vile (from the Mega Man X series) -- only without the weaponry.  If anyone objects . . .))

(January 7, 2020)

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #449 on: September 03, 2008, 02:10:10 PM »
Cody noticed Hu disappear and reappear as he fiddled with his cloak. It appeared that Hu didn't quite understand everything about the stuff he had. Invisibility would surely help, though.

As they neared the end of the steps, Cody took notice of his surroundings. Everything looked pretty much the same as before, except there was tighter guard around the holding cages. There were also groups of Hork-Bajir with dracon beams patrolling the area that Cody hadn't noticed before.

"Security has been beefed up." He said quietly. They made their way around to a small building, which was better than standing out in the open. "Do they have any offices around here, Emily?"

"There's a central command building on the far side, away from most entrances and the pool."

"Ok. Emily, you morph your finch, and I'll go as an insect. We'll try to stay out of sight, and look around the building. Yarin, you can morph Human and go with Nichole and Hu. Try to look for Bened around the general area, but don't attract attention. Stay away from the patrols as well."

Ani-Master 2014!