Author Topic: Animorphs: A New Beginning  (Read 54632 times)

Offline jake_berenson

• my charecter in a story i'm wrting
Re: Animorphs: A New Beginning
« Reply #1170 on: October 28, 2008, 06:38:33 PM »
(I was also thinking could I have some like power when I'm mad like the hulk exept I don't mutate or would that be overboard?)
Rachel "let's do it."

Linkin park rocks!

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
  • 188 of 1,657 "Memoirs" books completed
« Reply #1171 on: October 28, 2008, 06:39:41 PM »
((No, Jake, you're too late.  Hu, more or less, has that ability.))

Book 189: "Shenecron's Pets"
Chapter 4: "First Attempt"
(January 7, 2020)

RAFians Referenced Specifically: Demos.

Offline jake_berenson

« Reply #1172 on: October 28, 2008, 06:41:30 PM »
(with or without mutating? I was thinking not mutating just like fireball throwing or something)
Rachel "let's do it."

Linkin park rocks!

Offline Yarin

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Per scientia totus est ostendo sum
« Reply #1173 on: October 28, 2008, 06:45:02 PM »
(yes Yarin and Nichole are going out)
Live in peace and let your enemies be, but fiercely protect the ones you love. The Nyac Credo.

"Take me to jail please a Klingon is after me" Cave Guy Freakazoid  Freak-A-Panel.

"The fiction will see the real. The answer will question still."  Coheed and Cambria The Willing Well I: Fuel For The Feeding End 

The Pentagon has no contract with aliens or with afterlife entities... That I'm aware of... At this time

Offline jake_berenson

« Reply #1174 on: October 28, 2008, 06:54:08 PM »
(Dang.  :'( ackkk! nobody gave me the stuff to get through the forgetness fog! :o and with the mutation it's from my dad. Hey I don't know what that speicies looks like! can we go there for a mission? ;) And when I get the power this wierd red caura goes around me. and can we do the selling thing? each one of us can take a part. since like 59 I have been recording everything story wise. that means 59 devided by 5 right? okay. but can we still go to my home plant and I can get an alieen item or something?))
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 07:30:00 PM by jake_berenson »
Rachel "let's do it."

Linkin park rocks!

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #1175 on: October 28, 2008, 07:27:10 PM »
((I think your character has enough going for him already, Jake. Man, we're getting to where there are more alines than Humans.))

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline jake_berenson

« Reply #1176 on: October 28, 2008, 07:32:35 PM »
( 59 devided by 5 is 11.4 so we each do that many. decide who does which pages amongst yourselves if we're doing it. and I want a girlfiend!!! >:( but I can't do two people.)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 07:34:13 PM by jake_berenson »
Rachel "let's do it."

Linkin park rocks!

Offline Yarin

• Jr. Xtreme Member
« Reply #1177 on: October 28, 2008, 07:41:37 PM »
(your confusing me jake)

Live in peace and let your enemies be, but fiercely protect the ones you love. The Nyac Credo.

"Take me to jail please a Klingon is after me" Cave Guy Freakazoid  Freak-A-Panel.

"The fiction will see the real. The answer will question still."  Coheed and Cambria The Willing Well I: Fuel For The Feeding End 

The Pentagon has no contract with aliens or with afterlife entities... That I'm aware of... At this time

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #1178 on: October 28, 2008, 07:52:02 PM »
((Yeah, I didn't understand the first part. If you want a girlfriend, but don't want to control another character, then one of us can. Yarin already has Qodon and Delmin, at least for now. They may not be staying permanently. One of the rest of us could work something out.))

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
  • 188 of 1,657 "Memoirs" books completed
« Reply #1179 on: October 28, 2008, 08:13:44 PM »
((Directed to Jake:  Huh?  Jake, it seems to me that you're overcomplicating things a bit.  Nohensen is right, Peter has enough going for him.  About the Forgetfulness Fog, I thought it was because Peter was supposed to be some sort of cyborg.))

Hey I don't know what that speicies looks like!

((You're the character's creator.  Make somethin' up.))

Book 189: "Shenecron's Pets"
Chapter 4: "First Attempt"
(January 7, 2020)

RAFians Referenced Specifically: Demos.

Offline Yarin

• Jr. Xtreme Member
« Reply #1180 on: October 28, 2008, 09:57:47 PM »
(he's right you can't just keep adding on things to make your character cooler)

Offline Kelran-Isthinar

• Tempus Fugit
« Reply #1181 on: October 28, 2008, 10:29:31 PM »
(I cant decide for ya Jake, but Id Reccomend you try the method I used when I first started writing,  :) (long ago on another forum)

Try to break your character's basic abilites and traits down like a unit in a balanced computer game. Obviously he is a hero, as we all are, so he gets a certain bonus.
For example, my character has a very sharp technologicaly and tacticaly oriented mind, thrives on a sense of canraderie in battle, practically lives for the kill, and has strength and skills to back that up.
But he pays for that in that his emotions can have dire consequences when he lets them run amok, he doesnt relate well to people like Cody and Peter, he isnt much for bio-technology/genetics and he has a darker side that his morality must be careful to keep in check.
He is an immensly gifted creature in terms of having what amounts to 'perfect biology' but in turn that only works for him in a limited amount of situations in a world like the animorphs universe. Morphing also carries extra issues and a sense of revulsion for him.
So for each attribute he somehow pays somewhere else.

I also take alot of time to define his personality and thought process, my RP is nothing more than a balance of what Kelran the character would do + serving the needs/desires of the story arc, placed inside carefully thought out descriptors and settings to make the world he lives in seem real to the reader.

Translation for you = the more you know about Peter, the better you can write, and the better a character he will become.
To know more about him you have to sit down and come up with a dedicated definition of who he is now and his past, and a basic framework for how he develops as a person.
What is his personality? strengths and weaknesses both biological, mental, and personality-wise?
How does each weakness relate to each strength and vice versa? (remember that as people, our greatest strength is also often our rgeatest weakness somehow)
another tip is not to set his development in stone all at once.
I could have amde Kelran a commando or shock trooper, the perfect military officer. While he is a better soldier than any normal human by a mile, in the framework of the more advanced races like Gryphons, Smilodites, Andalites and Yeerks, he isnt superman.
He has a prodigy's worth of potential, he could be an absolutely unstoppable fighter, but it hasnt all been developed. What makes him fun to read during war moments (I hope) is how he is developing and learning things from his experiences.

IE, its more fun to read about a persons path to becoming a super-hero than it is to read about them being one who can simply always save the day.

I have already changed Kelran or begun to change him in logical ways that follow through on the interplay of what kind of person he is, his relations to those around him, and the world he lives in.  I can do that because I have a framework for his development thats just rigid enough to give me a guided track but just flexible enough to suit the unpredictability of the story.  That unpredictability emulates to some degree the real world which in turn combined with my framework and his development makes him seem more real as a person.

Finally, If nothing else I said makes any sense this is a simple way to tally your characters skills.
He should be good enough to blow right through what normal people consider difficult, and good enough to make an account of himself in a fight, and to be able to save the day in the end as part of the team....
But if;
A: he could save the day relatively easily
or B; finds fighting the antagonists of the story easy
then he has gone too far.
The point to being a hero is to face Villains. When we confront the Visser, for example, or a massive force of Hork Bajir bluebands, but for all our abilites, they still outmatch us for raw power, so it should be a skin-of-our-teeth win or escape based on a combination of our raw power, our morality, and our ingenuity.
If its too easy, then youre too powerful.
IE if you could easily pwn the Visser, youve got a few too many aces in the hole.

Ok, Im done giving tips for tonight :P As I said before, just suggestions based on my past experiences. Think of it, if nothing else, as a peek at Kelran's behind the scenes.  ;) )

Kelran ****ed his head, "You must show me this 'Star Trek' Sometime.  It sounds fascinating, and when Im not occupied with bolstering the cave and its quality of life, I would enjoy something to give me a better cultural reference for Earth."
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 10:35:35 PM by Kelran-Isthinar »
*anything* is possible, *some* things are probable, this is what is.
And I will continue to deal with what is...
Until it is no more....

Offline Yarin

• Jr. Xtreme Member
« Reply #1182 on: October 28, 2008, 11:25:13 PM »
((Jake I don't mean to be a jerk but you can't keep adding things to your character's history (like saying oh by the way... or i forgot to mention...) it needlessly complicates the things and throws off the flow of the story.  Ok lets get back to the story))   
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 12:28:12 PM by Yarin »

Offline traycon3

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • I'm sitting on Jesse because he is comfy! XD
« Reply #1183 on: October 29, 2008, 04:48:36 PM »
((Yes, well, it'd be helpful if you at least answered Nichole's question. And let me know when to do the thing we talked about. Otherwise, I may just have to spring it on you randomly.))
I'm not real anymore. I am an illusion. -Rob Thomas, "I am an Illusion"

Offline Yarin

• Jr. Xtreme Member
« Reply #1184 on: October 29, 2008, 06:11:11 PM »
(What was her question again i looked back but i couldn't find it lol)