Author Topic: Sentences you'll never forget  (Read 30367 times)

Offline Coal Kropotkin

• The anarchist formerly known as Prince
  • Gold Donor
  • Howdy!
    • Mastodon
Re: Sentences you'll never forget
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2010, 02:51:13 AM »

The scene in 30 where Marco berates the imaginary kid criticizing him for killing his mother. The whole scene sticks in my head:

Someday, if we won, if humanity survived, we'd be in the history books. Me and Jake and Rachel and Cassie and Tobias and Ax. They'd be household names, like generals from World War II or the Civil War. Patton and Eisenhower, Ulysses Grant and Robert E. Lee.
Kids would study us in school. Bored, probably.
Some kid would laugh. Some kid would say, "Cold, man. That was really cold."
I had to do it, kid. It was a war. It's the whole point, you stupid, smug, smirking little jerk! Don't you get it? It was the whole point. We hurt the innocent in order to stop the evil.
Innocent Hork-Bajir. Innocent Taxxons. Innocent human-Controllers.
How else to stop the Yeerks? How else to win?
No choice, you punk. We did what we had to do.
"Cold, man. The Marco dude? He was just cold."

Loved this quote! Book #30 was my favorite in the series, there was so much emotion in it.

Embarrassing admission time: I actually cried when I read that in the book, that was... Incredibly intense. I mean, I REALLY felt for Marco there. I felt.. I felt like he was real. Y'know? Like how imagine anyone in that situation would feel, but the way that was written, it just gave you some insight. Incredible insight. The AppleGrant is amazing.

RAFEngaged to Ash! <3
Kat's Awesome!

Updated phone: 423 401 8527

RAFJOP at your service!

Offline Gafrash

« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2010, 06:08:14 AM »
'...It would be so easy... I had the power. I had the power to destroy her before she destroyed me.
I should do it.
But I knew I wouldn't. Not now. Not tonight. Not in cold blood. Life was sacred. Even the life of an enemy.
But how about the lives of my friends? Weren't their lives more sacred?
...'
- #19:The Departure - pg.68.

Extract from Cassie's internal conflict, upon meeting the Controller Karen. The line in bold gives me the shivers everytime I read it, dunno know why.
I think it's because, before I read this book I had it in my head that, in a fight, you fight to save your friends, not protect your enemies. And Cassie here, is the only one of the Anis, whom I think, was capable of seeking for an alternative.

I imagine it takes a person of an exeptional kind, to spare the life of a sworn enemy. Killing the person who'll bring you down, is easy. Commandable it is to think of an alternative.

Offline estrid

• God
  • LOL
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2010, 07:54:37 PM »
book 21

tobias: did you unplug the computer?
*marco narrating* i nearly splatted into the nearby roof from sheer duh.

haha that was such a funny way to say duh that its been hard to forget
" 'What do you care if he drains a few vegetables?' I asked. 'He's a vampire!' Chester snarled. 'Today vegetables....tomor row, the world!' " Bunnicula-a Rabbit Tale of Mystery

Jess is my RAFbest friend cuz she is way awesome!
Cody-my gayBFF for eva!
Coolest Member of the Year 2009

Offline Cloudbreaker

• My activity may be at/near 0% but I'm still here.
    • Animorphs: The Revival
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2010, 09:17:42 PM »
"You know, back in the old days -- I mean, the real, real old days -- the Africans, the Europeans, the Native Americans...they all believed animals had spirits. And they would call on those spirits to protect them from evil. They would ask the spirit of the fox for his cunning. They'd ask the spirit of the eagle for his sight. They would ask the lion for his strength.
"I guess what we're doing is sort of basic. Even though it was Andalite technology that made it possible. We're still just scared little humans trying to borrow the mind of the fox, and eyes of the eagle...or the hawk," she added, smiling at Tobias. "And the strength of the lion. Just like thousands of years ago, we're calling on the animals to help protect us from evil." ~ Cassie

"We need to get some help from Mother Earth's toughest children." ~ Jake

Marco: "You seem perky, today. You want something to drink?"

Jake: "What are you going to do, morph a cow and squeeze me out a glass of two percent?"

All are from book one.

Offline WildAtHeart

• My Myspace
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2010, 01:06:37 AM »
a lot of mine were already said.

Another one for me, was the one in Megamorphs 3 when they arrived at Princeton University and that student talked to Cassie:

'"How did you do that?" the man with the southern accent demanded. And then, like some vile punctuation, he added a word I won't repeat.'

i just remember being like shocked reading that as a kid.  I think it was because i'm half-black and look it(People seem to think i'm either all black or hispanic). My mom's a single mom and her and my sister are white so I really stood out (especially since my entire elementary school was all white lol) My mom always told me as a kid to let her know if people ever called me those names.

So that part of the book just really stuck with me. Cassie's 'Rachel' moment in response has to be one of my top Cassie moments EVER! xD
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 01:22:11 AM by WildAtHeart »

Offline Stephquiem

• #1 Poster 8)
  • Gold Donor
  • ^ Hugh. Not House, dagnabit.
    • Facebook
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2010, 01:10:27 AM »

Marco: "You seem perky, today. You want something to drink?"

Jake: "What are you going to do, morph a cow and squeeze me out a glass of two percent?"

All are from book one.

That bit's from #54?

And on the Cassie quote: I didn't actually realize what he said until a long time afterward. XD I reread MM3 and went :wow:

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
  • <Pirate Gloomy bear morph!>
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2010, 08:17:24 AM »
I didn't realize it was a word like that... I thought it was a usual insult...

End of #19:
"So?" Rachel demanded, holding up two sweaters. "Which one do you like?
The green or the red?"

I thought of Aftran, the enemy. I thought of her swimming blind in the
Yeerk pool, with only her memories of a brighter world. She'd told me that humans live in paradise. She'd turned her back on paradise to
make a small peace.

"Both, Rachel. And I like the blue. And the yellow. And that gross color
there. And the stripes. We live in paradise, Rachel, and we don't even
know it. And we don't know when it might end. We'd have to be fools not
to enjoy it while we can. So, whip out your credit card, girl, we're
adding some color!"

..."in a perpetual state of Celtic gloom"
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
Student Evil Demo 1.0 (explicit dialogs, 12+)
My Forum

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Most Ladylike-Robot-superhero-weak ankled Chippendale-loose cannon teleporter-1/64 ninja-not British comedian-also not Steph-Kit in spirit-Sharing member for life-cuddlestorm-bricklayer-necromancer-Hot Dog Day enthusiast!
  • Social Staff
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2010, 12:30:04 PM »
I love that about this series. It can take something entirely fictional and very alien (Yeerks, in this case, and Aftran in particular) and really humanize and emotionalize it. Not much sci fi or fantasy succeeds in that sort of thing. The best you usually see is something that's essentially human, but looks different (a lizard man or a mermaid or whatever) feeling something about something that's essentially just a human dilemma anyway.

Marie and Abby are my wonderful RAFsisters ^_^
Salem's Story

Offline keishae24

« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2010, 06:51:43 AM »
"Any life is better than none, and no matter how awful things seem, there is always meaning and purpose to be found." - i think its from the andalite chronicles.

and of course. Ax's lines. especially when he is in his human morph.

Offline Gumby

• Reginald, Lord of The Abyss.
  • Xtreme Member
  • Back to where it all began
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2010, 07:02:53 PM »
When Rachel talks to Rachel in 48, when David is beggin her to kill him.

"I'm one of the good guys."

<Then do the godo thing.>
"Now I can't speak for everyone; at least not until 'The Device' is completed."

- Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw

Offline niknik

« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2010, 11:04:29 PM »
Oh, how I do love Rachel  ;D  In book 32, when some boy attempts to chat up Rachel:

"Of course I look good," I snapped. "I almost always do. You have something else to say?"
I guess that threw him. He shrugged.
"Looking good," he repeated. "Looking real good."
"I think we've been over that," I said. "Yes, I am good-looking. Yes, I have great hair. Yes, I have a great body. Now go away."
"You are so stuck-up!"
"That's right, I am. Now you know the difference between good looks and a good personality."
He left.

*high five to Rachel*  I loved this exchange, and remember thinking "GIRL POWER!" and wanting to be as tough and cool as Rachel hehehe

Offline estrid

• God
  • LOL
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2010, 11:34:10 PM »
dude i loved that exchange too! it was pure awesome!
" 'What do you care if he drains a few vegetables?' I asked. 'He's a vampire!' Chester snarled. 'Today vegetables....tomor row, the world!' " Bunnicula-a Rabbit Tale of Mystery

Jess is my RAFbest friend cuz she is way awesome!
Cody-my gayBFF for eva!
Coolest Member of the Year 2009

Offline Vanish

« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2010, 03:25:38 PM »
"They truly sickened me with their self-indulgence and their childishness. But then, I reminded myself, they are children and so am I. If i were at home, I would still be a cadet in the Andalite Military Acadamy. I would spend most of my time in my parents' scoop. But I had been thrust into the midst of this raging war on Earth. I had seen more battles, death, and destruction than many seasoned soldiers in our Andalite fleet. I felt my throat tighten and constrict. My hearts ached with a pain I could not describe. I wondered if I were dying. I felt not sadness. I felt pity. For myself. For us all. we were children no longer. And we never would be again."

Ax in book #52 The Sacrifice
O(o_o)O

Offline Visser19

« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2010, 09:32:04 PM »
Rachel narrating: "I wondered if-"
[spoiler]Rachel's last words/thoughts. How can anyone forget that?[/spoiler]

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2010, 06:54:52 PM »
Ugh. Makes me cry EVERY SINGLE TIME I read it.

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013