Author Topic: Animorph Positions  (Read 6084 times)

Offline Stephquiem

• #1 Poster 8)
  • Gold Donor
  • ^ Hugh. Not House, dagnabit.
    • Facebook
Animorph Positions
« on: October 22, 2009, 09:46:16 PM »
So, I was sitting in my Gender and Family Communications class this morning, and we were talking about Power. Because I've been spending too much time around here, I started thinking about Jake as the leader of the Animorphs. For his personality, I think it fits.

I've seen a discussion here (maybe here) about who would be the second choice for leader if Jake wasn't around, or was unable to lead for some reason. But I was wondering--since every one in the group fills a specific role (or two. Marco works as the comedian and strategist, for example), would it be possible for one of them to fill a different role?

Obviously, only Ax can be the "Alien." But still, theoretically speaking, the way KAA developed their personalities, could any of them fit the "moral compass," "warrior," "strategist" etc. roles? If, say, Marco got hit on the head and was in a coma for months, could someone take his place for that period?

I have no idea if any of that made any sense. XD

Offline anijen21

Re: Animorph Positions
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 09:56:31 PM »
I'm not quite sure what you're talking about but the title of this post made me lol

I mean, I guess this was played with a little bit in the series, like when Rachel had to take over when Jake left, when poor Cassie has to make a *tough strategy decision*, etc. I think they all tend toward certain roles, but they're certainly all capable of anything, which made them so occasionally terrifying.
I go off topic on purpose.

Offline Kelly

• Gold Donor
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 11:02:52 PM »
lol yeah I was wondering what I'd find when I opened the thread..

I dont think any of characters could take over another character entirely, but there are parts of the series that say "Marco/Rachel wasn't around so I had to do/say it" (joking or being reckless). Ugh I suck at explaining things.

I can't see anyone fitting Jake's shoes. I think they'd more work as a team than have an actual leader. Well, a leader for a long period of time anyway.
"I always considered myself a loner. I mean, not like a poor-me, Byron-esque, I-should-have-broughta-swimming-buddy loner. I mean the sort of person who doesn’t feel too upset about the prospect of a weekend spent seeing no one, and reading good books on the couch. It wasn’t like I was a people hater or anything. I enjoyed activities and the company of friends. But they were a side dish. I always thought I would also be happy without them."

- Harry Dresden/Jim Butcher, Ghost Story.

Offline goom

• the underling of underlings
  • Administrator
  • no other distinguishing characteristics.
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 11:05:31 PM »
I'm not quite sure what you're talking about but the title of this post made me lol

i laughed as well, actually. maybe a d-lounge thread copy? :D

Offline Kelly

• Gold Donor
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 11:06:14 PM »

i laughed as well, actually. maybe a d-lounge thread copy? :D
I dare you :P
"I always considered myself a loner. I mean, not like a poor-me, Byron-esque, I-should-have-broughta-swimming-buddy loner. I mean the sort of person who doesn’t feel too upset about the prospect of a weekend spent seeing no one, and reading good books on the couch. It wasn’t like I was a people hater or anything. I enjoyed activities and the company of friends. But they were a side dish. I always thought I would also be happy without them."

- Harry Dresden/Jim Butcher, Ghost Story.

Offline Stephquiem

• #1 Poster 8)
  • Gold Donor
  • ^ Hugh. Not House, dagnabit.
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 12:11:38 AM »
:P I couldn't come up with any good ideas for a title when I made it, okay? XD

Offline adeon222

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Without whom, we would all be lost...
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 12:25:01 AM »
It was a good title Steph... For what it's worth, I understood immediately what it was about... (though there was some snickering in the back of my mind as I opened the thread...)  :rofl2:

I think that "positions" may be being applied in too broad a way here...
If you have positions like: leader, comedian, strategist, moral compass, etc., I'm fairly certain that almost any of the Animorphs could have filled almost any of the positions... For instance, Ax was hilarious a lot, even if he wasn't trying to be... Jake had a great moral compass, as did Tobias... Marco and Tobias could have easily filled a "leader" role... Ax (having studdied war) would have done just fine as a strategist... and on and on...

The issue comes when you add their personalities... None of the Animorphs could have filled any position of the others quite like they could... Tobias and Marco would have had completely different leadership styles and tendencies from each other, and definitely from Jake... Ax might have come up with different strategies... The Animorphs might not have been so shackled by 'zero tolerance' moral policies... etc...
"Hey, who taped a full color picture of a forum to my screen? And why won't it come off??? What?? it's an Animorphs forum, and you can talk about your favorite Animorphs and such??? Oh, Best Thing Ever! Best Thing Ever!"

Alic

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 02:01:24 AM »
my mind was totally thinking d lounge material.

Offline Darth Revan

• Master of the Star Forge!
  • Gold Donor
  • Now you see the true Dark Lord of the Sith!
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 02:08:36 PM »
Don't worry Steph, I knew what you were talking about from first glance. I didn't even think of the other application until it was mentioned here. *scoff* Pervs. ::) ;D

Personally I don't think Tobias would be that good of a leader, he's too unsure of himself when it comes to his friends. And also it's not just "can they give orders?" type of thing. It's the weight of possibly sending your friends to their deaths and making those decisions quickly and effectively. Making every decision for the team and taking the brunt of responsibility if things go sour.

Personally I think the times that KA had the other members play serrogate leader was her way of showing us how vital Jake was to the team. Showing that yes, they can make decisions, but they can't handle the weight that comes with it.
RAFengaged to Midnight_Huntress

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 03:35:58 PM »
Don't worry Steph, I knew what you were talking about from first glance. I didn't even think of the other application until it was mentioned here. *scoff* Pervs. ::) ;D
I don't even understand what this second meaning is. What else could "animorph positions" mean?

Offline Darth Revan

• Gold Donor
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 03:45:23 PM »
"Positions?" ^-^

think naughty, Morf, you can do it.

Offline Hewlett Aldershot III

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 05:00:45 PM »
Good point there Parker...
When it comes to Tobias though, I think a tick differently. In MM2, he makes the tough, swift call to basically doom an entire race (the nuke thing), as well as handling most of the dealings with Taylor. He screws up, yes, but he shows that he can indeed make the hard decisions. Both he and Marco (I think) could have won the war as leaders, but it wouldn't have been nearly as efficient as Jake's war. Marco would have gotten there, gotten there ruthlessly, and resulted in a complete loss of self in the process. Ruthlessness would have managed it.

Offline Darth Revan

• Gold Donor
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 05:13:24 PM »
I don't remember much of MM2. The last time I read it was a decade ago. No joke.

He was able to sacrifice himself in the Taylor torture situation, but could he send in one of his friends, let alone send in Rachel to be tortured. They all would give their own lives if it meant that the rest lived, but not all of them could order their friends into dangerous situations the way Jake did.

Yes Tobias can give precise directions from above, and lead others, but he normally leads people out of danger. I think he would question himself too much if he had to direct others into danger. Jake questioned himself, but he did it afterwards, and he stood by his decisions.

----------------

Marco is a great strategist and sees the big picture, yes. However I think if he were in charge, I think either they would've lost a member earlier on, or they probably would've exposed the Yeerks and forced the Yeerks to initiate a full scale evasion.

Offline Brad the Brit

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Cuz Im British.
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2009, 07:49:26 PM »
LOL ANIMORPH POSITIONS!!!!!!!!!!

i have nothing else to say.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2009, 08:13:12 PM »
Animorphs positions?

Marco: I'm Republican
Cassie: I'm Democratic
Tobias: I'm with PETA

I haven't thought much about how people would do in the other positions. Cassie is definitely not a strategist. She's afraid to be the leader. Tobias may be able to think of a strategy after getting a view of the area, and Ax probably has some basic training in strategy. But Cassie just can't, and Rachel is a bit too short sighted.

Ax may be the only person on the team that could fill Rachel's position, through sheer hatred of Yeerks. Maybe Marco too, but he's not as emotional.

Nobody could really fill Ax's position. They just physically can't do things like fight in their normal forms, or keep accurate track of time.

Jake might be able to fill Cassie's position, and maybe Tobias too.

Tobias' position has been filled by others from time to time, as an eye in the sky. Ax could probably do it best, since he's already their eye on the ground. Though being a bird all the time still makes tobias the best at what he does.

Ani-Master 2014!