Author Topic: Worst Animorph Books  (Read 11217 times)

Offline Zues770

• Jr. Xtreme Member
Worst Animorph Books
« on: June 16, 2008, 04:40:16 AM »
I remember this topic from good ole' blue and remember saying I didn't like the first Helmacron book but now that I realize I actually liked it.

Still hate The Mutation

Offline nothlitlifestyles

Re: Worst Animorph Books
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 05:04:38 AM »
The oatmeal idea in The Underground always seemed kind of lame to me, I also was not a huge fan of The Ellimist Chronicles as I've said before for the lack of answers I thought it would have. I also disliked The Return, not because I disliked the book really but because it was Rachels last narrated book and I dont feel like she was given her due. Other than that though I would be hard pressed to pick any off the top of my head I disliked, I'll have to take a second look back at them
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 05:07:44 AM by nothlitlifestyles »

Offline nothlitlifestyles

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 05:05:57 AM »
May I ask what about the mutation you disliked so much?

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 05:22:51 AM »
the alternamorphs

next in my opinion, are #24 and #42. the helmacrons were a bad idea. they were seriously annoying. and before you guys say they were funny, I'm gonna say they're not because of their way too big egos. A big ego is fine. It makes the villian funny. Too much ego, not knowing when you lost, that's just stupid and annoying.

don't really have any others ones that I can think of right now.

Offline musicman88

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 09:07:14 AM »
Number 48.  I liked the idea of David returning, but everything in that book was just done poorly.  Rachel was made out to be some crazy psycho ***** and KA didn't even tell us what happened to David!  I'm not a big fan of cliffhangers.
YOU'RE WINNER !

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 10:43:41 AM »
I think Applegate could have done better with Davud's return as well. There's also a part about the book where Jake's family, including Tom, goes somewhere for four days to a funeral. It was the PERFECT time to make a "rescue Tom" mission. All they had to do was grab Tom when he was close to his three day limit, and starve the Yeerk. The other Yeerks would have no suspicions about a Yeerk just dying after a four day trip away from the pool.

They didn't even attempt it, though. Not as far as I can remember.

This is all in addition to the last book, which I won't even go into. I've already explained myself in that regard.

As far as books I didn't like go, parts of the latest ones come to mind. Maybe a sparce few parts of some earlier books too, but none that I can think of at the moment.

Edit: I didn't really mind the Helmacrons. If your people were more or less immortal, you probably wouldn't fear death either. The memories of the fallen just go towards the survivors.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 10:46:38 AM by Daphnes »

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Hylian Dan

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 12:15:25 PM »
I hate The Mutation. The Nartec just plain do not fit in the Animorphs universe, I won't suspend my disbelief that much.

I also strongly dislike 42 and 44. Both were boring and pointless. 39 isn't boring, but it has major gaping plot holes...and the buffa-human.

Offline Qwerty the Charliecorn

• The cannibalistic pipe-dweller
  • Xtreme Member
    • My deviantART
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 12:26:38 PM »
Hmm, I can't think of any books I HATED right now, though there were I couple I felt were a complete waste of my time. Can't remember which ones tough. Oh yeah, alternamorphs. But that's about all I can think of right now.
If you are not in my avatar, and would like to be, or if you changed your name and avatar and would like me to update it, PM me. I cannot add or change anyone at the moment as I lost the file I use for this, but if people still want in, I'll work on it.

I am RAFmarried to my sweet shnukums, Rachel. ;D

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 12:28:00 PM »
What was the Mutation about, again?

I will agree the book with the Buffa-Human was weird, but I fu=igure it was supposed to be.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Gaz

• RAF's Resident Coffee Addicted Pirate
  • God
  • Forsooth!
    • Rachel Recaps
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 01:10:34 PM »
Can't think of a book I thought was the worst off the top of my head. I'll have to do a re-read of the series over the summer.

But I'll just say, and probably get things thrown at me for it, that I wasn't too interested in/thrilled by the whole David trilogy. The whole "new team member goes evil" thing just didn't grab me. I don't know why, but it seemed overdone. Once I get around to the re-read I'll see if I can come up with a logical/reasonable list why I think so. *holds up SWAT shield and prepares for onslaught of tomatoes and other various objects*

As for the Helmacrons. I found them entertaining for a bit, then they got obnoxious. I found myself thinking "Oh just step on them for crying out loud! Get a fly swatter or something."

Offline Fire Warrior

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 04:15:53 PM »
The alternamorphs and The Ellimist Chronicles
"I realized then that there is a very basic difference between Yeerks and humans.
A human will fight even when he knows he can't win. Maybe our species is just a little crazy.
But human history is full of cases where a handful of guys would fight an entire army. They'd get
stomped, but they'd fight anyway."

Offline Venom

• Xtreme Member
  • We are Venom
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 05:26:42 PM »
i loved the ellimist chronicles, and i liked the helmecrons

i really didn't like the one when david comes back
i didn't like the one when jake and his family go on vacation for grandpa G's funeral
RAFDating Marie. Jealous?

And then Buffy staked Edward. The End

Basically I put everyone who looks like a good guy in Gryffindor and everyone who looks like a bad guy in Slytherin. The rest can go wherever the hell they want, I don't care.

Offline Zues770

• Jr. Xtreme Member
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 02:32:11 AM »
May I ask what about the mutation you disliked so much?

It was to unrealistic, even for the Animorphs universe. I also hated the Magic School Bus one.

Offline Bassline

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 02:38:16 AM »
The Mutation did seem kind of pointless, except for the part at the end where they are talking about what the Nartec do with the bodies they find (preserve them in museums), and how if they don't like what the Nartec are doing, they should stop supplying them with bodies and weapons (which were obtained through the World Wars).

Offline CounterInstinct

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2008, 05:36:24 AM »
I think Applegate could have done better with Davud's return as well. There's also a part about the book where Jake's family, including Tom, goes somewhere for four days to a funeral. It was the PERFECT time to make a "rescue Tom" mission. All they had to do was grab Tom when he was close to his three day limit, and starve the Yeerk. The other Yeerks would have no suspicions about a Yeerk just dying after a four day trip away from the pool.

They didn't even attempt it, though. Not as far as I can remember.

This is all in addition to the last book, which I won't even go into. I've already explained myself in that regard.

As far as books I didn't like go, parts of the latest ones come to mind. Maybe a sparce few parts of some earlier books too, but none that I can think of at the moment.

Edit: I didn't really mind the Helmacrons. If your people were more or less immortal, you probably wouldn't fear death either. The memories of the fallen just go towards the survivors.

Actually, they attempted that.... and the 4 day funeral? THAT WAS THE WORST CHANCE TO RESCUE TOM. It even forces the Yeerks to either infest Tom's dad, or kill him (see book 31). I mean, the Yeerk will never want to go there... and will plead and beg not to come... and if Jake's dad refuses.... down to the Yeerk Pool he goes. Jake actually almost lost it trying to save his dad WITHOUT killing Tom.  ;)

Also, I believe the reverse about Rachel is false. The Return actually made Rachel's other side, shine... the lighter side of her. See, this book really had shown how much the others (not to mention the readers) view her as a psychotic killer, when what she actually doing is protection the other Animorphs from doing stuff that would destroy their souls (the dirty work). Rachel isn't purely doing for the thrill, just to protect the others. Its just that too much isn't good... and too much fighting made RAchel's dark side shine..

Also, the ending of The Return was awesome. I actually cried. If I was in Rachel's shoes.... I wouldn't have the guts to kill David.

But if I had to hate a book... it would have to be the Buffa-human book.... it was just.. so... wrong....
I'm just a writer, and my main goal was always to entertain. But I've never let Animorphs turn into just another painless video game version of war, and I wasn't going to do it at the end. I've spent 60 books telling a strange, fanciful war story, sometimes very seriously, sometimes more tongue-in-cheek. I've written a lot of action and a lot of humor and a lot of sheer nonsense. But I have also, again and again, challenged readers to think about what they were reading. To th