Author Topic: Animorphs Cast  (Read 11245 times)

Offline ChimichangaChupacabra

• Banned
Re: Animorphs Cast
« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2009, 09:28:53 PM »
Better suggestion than most, agreed.  Probably a little too anorexic-bulimic-model-y from the second picture, but whatever I guess. 

Still, we're all lingering too much into the "college age kids playing middle-schoolers" BS, and that's a no-no.  I mean, look at the first Spiderman and the highschool scenes.  "What are you people, 32?!"!
"WHAT DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND?!" - Bale.

Offline Starsword

« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2009, 09:34:50 PM »
Better suggestion than most, agreed.  Probably a little too anorexic-bulimic-model-y from the second picture, but whatever I guess. 

Still, we're all lingering too much into the "college age kids playing middle-schoolers" BS, and that's a no-no.  I mean, look at the first Spiderman and the highschool scenes.  "What are you people, 32?!"!

Yeah, thats why I changed my vote. Like Power Rangers. They need to be actual kids, younger than older, so that even if they grow over the course of filming, it still fits.
Until then we fight.

• Banned
« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2009, 09:38:27 PM »
Like, totally, d00dz.  Just to reinforce the point, even if they somehow miraculously condense 54 books into 6 or 7 films, Harry Potter franchise style, those kids are still going to age 12-14 years over six movies.  Over a story spanning 6 total, including the post-war stuff.

Notgonnawork.

You hire a 13 year old for "Movie 1", they're 25 by the time you're dealing with the Pool Ship.  Lame.

Offline estrid

• God
  • LOL
« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2009, 02:11:38 AM »
(Okay, so I got the warning that this was an old topic, but I don't want another redundancy fail. So... Yeah.)

As nerdy as it is, I watch a lot of Radio Free Roscoe (The first season. It went downhill after that.), and I saw that a lot of the characters on that would do well in Animorphs. No idea if they still would as I haven't seen them recently, but still.

Marco: Ali Mukaddam. He's my favorite out of all the actors. He's perfect for Marco. Look up some clips on YouTube. His character's name is Ray http://gfx.filmweb.pl/p/54/78/115478/70911.1.jpg

Jake: Nathan Carter. He just has something that to me screams 'Jake'. http://www.freewebs.com/radiofreeroscoelrtr/travis_001.jpg

Rachel: Kate Todd ---Happy Mall rat Rachel: http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2202570752/nm1433900,
'I'm gonna kick your *ss' Rachel: http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2219347968/nm1433900

Cassie: Genelle Williams (Can't find a good picture)

Tom: Steve Belford (Can't find a picture of him from the show..)

As for Visser Three, the actors I thought would do well as his voice are Tim Curry (but played down a bit, and more angry) or Robin Sachs. For those who have seen Galaxy Quest, Sachs voices an alien warlord and acts a lot like Visser Three...

i totally agree with u on marco, that dude totally fits the discription i imagined while readin the books. jake no, cuz he looks too much like sean ashmore, and i didn't like him for jake cuz he wasn't "leaderish" enough.

I like johnny depp for drode. he's kinda too goofy for visser 3. I can't think of anyone else right now
" 'What do you care if he drains a few vegetables?' I asked. 'He's a vampire!' Chester snarled. 'Today vegetables....tomor row, the world!' " Bunnicula-a Rabbit Tale of Mystery

Jess is my RAFbest friend cuz she is way awesome!
Cody-my gayBFF for eva!
Coolest Member of the Year 2009

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2009, 10:51:08 AM »
If they never do a TAC, then the voice of elfangor could be done by the same actor that does someone else's voice. Since he'd only be in episode 1 briefly.

I really don't know actors well enough to say anything, and I may have said this before. I'm all for animation, so appearance wouldn't matter for any of the actors. Only voice.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline jsjosh

• Who Knew?
« Reply #80 on: March 09, 2009, 06:04:42 PM »
I mean, look at the first Spiderman and the highschool scenes.  "What are you people, 32?!"!

The whole point of this thread is to suggest people whose careers are established enough to have an IMDB page one can link to in a forum post. If we're going to restrict ourselves to a younger age range, then the choices we have are between Disney Channel stars (who hilariously make up almost all established child actors in North America) or unknowns that have no IMDB pages. The latter group isn't conducive to Internet nerd discussion, and most of the people from the former group are horrible actors. I mean, Kate Todd was in Degrassi for Christ's sake.

You could certainly encompass the entirety of the Animorphs story into a trilogy or, um, quadrilogy - certainly with seven or eight movies (like the master plan was going to be for Project AM) there would be a lot of awesome set pieces, but the story can really be condensed to the fight with the Yeerks and the character's overall emotional arcs, leaving out the many extraneous alien species and flashbacks, etc. Actors aging between movies wouldn't really be a problem then.

---

I was watching an interview with Dakota Fanning (one of the few famous non-TV child actors) on Letterman and she reminded me a lot of Ja'mie King from Summer Heights High (great show if you haven't watched it). Kind of uncanny. Thinking about it some more, maybe she would be a good choice to play Taylor - she's definitely got the popular-girl pettiness thing down. (Not an entirely serious suggestion, just throwing it out there.)

Offline Starsword

« Reply #81 on: March 09, 2009, 09:05:41 PM »

The whole point of this thread is to suggest people whose careers are established enough to have an IMDB page one can link to in a forum post. If we're going to restrict ourselves to a younger age range, then the choices we have are between Disney Channel stars (who hilariously make up almost all established child actors in North America) or unknowns that have no IMDB pages. The latter group isn't conducive to Internet nerd discussion, and most of the people from the former group are horrible actors. I mean, Kate Todd was in Degrassi for Christ's sake.

Well, if we can't use young actors, are we gonna have Animorphs 74  The Geriatrics? I think Jack Nicholson should play Visser 3
Until then we fight.

• Banned
« Reply #82 on: March 09, 2009, 11:17:54 PM »
You could certainly encompass the entirety of the Animorphs story into a trilogy or, um, quadrilogy

3 movies still equates to about 9 years, 4 movies to 12.  Aging still poses a pretty significant problem, unless you want the characters looking like grad-students by the time Rachel bites the dust.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 01:13:12 AM by ChimichangaChupacabra »

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #83 on: March 10, 2009, 12:33:49 AM »
They would definitely have to use different actors at different stages.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline agentAK

« Reply #84 on: March 10, 2009, 12:51:23 AM »
After all; we all know what happened with the Harry Potter cast. Emma Watson grew out of her role by the third freaking movie!
RAF marrying Estrid so we can wear pretty dresses!

• Banned
« Reply #85 on: March 10, 2009, 01:15:49 AM »
Harry Potter's a decent example, although I think in general they kind of made the best of that situation.  Casting unknowns for the first movie, all young, minimizing the effect.

Animorphs is pretty much exponentially worse, though, seeing as there's more material to cover, in addition to the obvious obstacles posed by international ratings boards and the bleak subject matter.  I know you're not allowed to show a minor using a weapon, for one.  Pretty sure there's something similar preventing a kid turning into a tiger and shredding someone.  Sure, you can hire 12 year olds, but then you have to remove 99% of the death and destruction of the war.  Cutting the emotional investment, resulting in an inferior work.  Or you can hire a bunch of highschool seniors, keep the edgy tone, and sacrifice the faithfulness to the books and the inherent disturbing nature of a bunch of kids fighting a war.

Animation?  Now animation works.  A miniseries, on cable like that old Spawn series from the 90's, or else straight-to-DVD works, both keeping the PG-13.  You can have older people convincingly portraying younger characters, the ageing isn't an issue.  You can have continuity and consistency in the animation, you cut the effects budget, you have a serial format which is better suited to the story than movies. 

It makes so much more sense, and, you know, it's actually possible.  A feature film series being...not.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 01:19:33 AM by ChimichangaChupacabra »

Offline jsjosh

• Who Knew?
« Reply #86 on: March 11, 2009, 12:04:20 AM »
The more I think about this, the more I'm convinced that this would have to be a low-budget indie/arthouse movie, with effects work from dedicated fans looking to build their reel and willing to work on the cheap to make the finished product a reality (à la Escape from City 17 or Star Wars: Revelations). There is no possible way that a major studio could make an adaptation that I, a reasonably mature (at least I like to think so) 21-year-old male, could emotionally and intellectually connect with. I want a early-teens mumblecore film shot on a $5,000 camera intercut with tense action scenes laden with decently-composited special effects depicting the utter atrocities these kids are comitting.

I think if we're talking realistically here (as opposed to just speculating on the ideal), I would be willing to sacrifice giant set pieces and the participation of ILM so that they could keep the tone very dark without studio interference and have totally unknown actors that could realistically sell the character development.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 12:52:19 AM by jsjosh »

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #87 on: March 11, 2009, 10:17:42 PM »
Meh. I wouldn't bat an eye if they through out most of the darkness and underlying messages. Heck, I didn't even take much notice of it before coming to this site. I wouldn't miss a thing. Make it more like Avatar, except with aliens and morphing instead of elemental attacks and martial arts.

My maturity level is not very high. Certainly not enough to get in the way of kiddifying Animorphs.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline JFalcon

• I need to get out more . . .
« Reply #88 on: March 12, 2009, 01:58:36 AM »
Meh. I wouldn't bat an eye if they through out most of the darkness and underlying messages. Heck, I didn't even take much notice of it before coming to this site. I wouldn't miss a thing. Make it more like Avatar, except with aliens and morphing instead of elemental attacks and martial arts.

My maturity level is not very high. Certainly not enough to get in the way of kiddifying Animorphs.

If you take away most of the fighting (i.e. childproof it) and the messages and the darkness you're left with what? The TV series, random dribble about high schoolers who can turn into animals but usually don't for some reason, playing pranks on aliens who don't seem to realize what it means to be "in character" as opposed to fighting them like they're supposed to.

Animorphs and Avatar aren't as dissimilar as you might think. Avatar had its darkness and underlying nonsense too, I mean Aang pretty much does nothing to prevent his girlfriend from setting off to commit a murder, Azula is a freakin' psychopath and Suki's sneaking into a boy's tent in the middle of the night for "unknown" purposes, the series was actually fairly dark and grown up for a kid's series, much like Animorphs.

That's why it was good.

While Avatar wasn't exactly kiddy sunshine funtime hour it didn't let the war get it down like Animorphs did, the kids never stopped being kids . . . but there is a very good reason for that beyond it simply being a kids show . . .

The reason is the gAang weren't fighting the war, the soldiers and armies were fighting the war. Avatar could have a war without the children being soldiers (Except Suki, and even then its implied that she was given grunt work as opposed to actual combat duty) because there were other people to fight the war, entire armies in fact. In Animorphs Jake is the general, the others are his army, and that's pretty much it, there was no one else around to fight the war, the two stranded Andalites on earth didn't even contribute to the war, didn't offer any real help, at no point did the Animorphs find someone who would fight the war for them while they focused on just being kids, towards the end they got reinforcements but the burden was still on them. You can't make Animorphs like Avatar without first providing a way for it to be like Avatar, Avatar had adults shielding the kids, in Animorphs the kids pretty much had to band together to shield each other, this is why Animorphs is somewhat darker than Avatar, and more violent.

To change all that in order to make the movie marketable to children would be to completely rewrite the whole series, Animorphs doesn't need to be like 300 with violence left and right, but it most definitely doesn't need to be like Troy, utterly changing, rearranging, and in place of the profanity I wanted to use I'll just say "lying" about a story so that it's nothing like the actual tale . . . I mean except that there's some adulterous chick named Helen that every guy wants, and a city with some walls.
"I would be a ghost of this dynasty before I'd be a general of rebels and traitors!" ~ Pang De, Romance of the Three Kingdoms

"My brain! My brain! Me hurty to think!" ~ Zim, Invader Zim

"Fight it off? You must have me confused with someone who's brave." ~ Church, Red vs Blue

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #89 on: March 12, 2009, 12:22:39 PM »
I know why Avatar is good. And I know a kid's show can have that much fightin g and still stay a kid's show. I wasn't trying to say Avatar isn't similar. You didn't understand what I meant.

Animorphs can be better than the TV show, but it doesn't need to be as bad as the books.

There can still be the great charactarization of the team. There can still be good battles and dark times. But it doesn't need to be as gruesome as the books, or push some message that most people aren't going to care about.

Ani-Master 2014!