Author Topic: Errors In Animorphs series  (Read 13113 times)

Offline Slushie Man

• Just a passing-through Nerd
  • Gold Donor
    • The B-Movie Shelf
Re: Errors In Animorphs series
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2009, 11:10:30 AM »
roughly the length of Animorphs as well.

Animorphs is longer. Even though they're smaller in length, if you were to add them all together, I'm pretty damn sure it's longer then the Dark Tower series.

How did he manage to make practically 0 mistakes?

He didn't. He actually had to go back and re-write the first novel a few years ago, and then re-release it, because it contradicted so much in the later novels.

Offline goom

• the underling of underlings
  • Administrator
  • no other distinguishing characteristics.
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2009, 12:48:40 AM »
I forget if it was book 2 or 3, but on page 124 of one of those books, someone began a thought speak ( < ) but ended speaking normally ( " ). It was fairly amusing. I'll have to find it when I have time.

"yeah, i've noticed a few endings or starting though-speak>
bugs bug me.  :nerd:

Offline agentAK

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2009, 01:02:02 AM »
I ignore the ones were people out of morph use thought-speak and vice versa. I figure she's not forgetting what state they're in, she's just hitting the wrong keys. I write Animorph fan fiction and I make that mistake a lot.
RAF marrying Estrid so we can wear pretty dresses!

Offline sluggerrocky123

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2009, 12:45:24 AM »
I forget if it was book 2 or 3, but on page 124 of one of those books, someone began a thought speak ( < ) but ended speaking normally ( " ). It was fairly amusing. I'll have to find it when I have time.

Neither, i just went and looked in both books and in book 2 only one thing is said in thought speech and thats jake when he is in flea mode on rachel's back and no one thought speaks at all on page 124 of book 3

And throught all the books ive read (1 through to 6 :P) its mentioned in every book how there clothes rip and they don't wear shoes yet down in the corner when you can flick the pages and watch them morph and on the front covers they're all fully clothed with shoes on all though i spose it wouldn't look that good if there were people in skin tight clothes on every cover now would it?

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2009, 04:39:02 AM »
David B, Mattingly (the cover artist) was well aware of that. Therefore, it's not exactly an error cuz it was done purposely.

Offline ~

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Something slow an bittersweet
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2009, 09:32:24 AM »
Be careful looking for KASU lists online, some are wildly inaccurate. Like there's one that lists David watching Buffy on a Thursday as one because 'Buffy wasn't on Thursdays', when in fact there are at least three districts that ran Buffy reruns on Thursdays during that time. Not to mention the whole thing about the alien calanders in the Hork-Bajir Chronicles being inconsistant, something I personally proved was not true with the power of Math!

On a semi-related note, I also used math to show that if the ant eater morph they acquired when they were tiny sized up realitive to the ani's sized, then the morph would be almost two miles long. It's in the RAFcast and somewhere on the forum. (Search "Math it's what's for dinner")

Offline sluggerrocky123

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2009, 08:26:53 AM »
once again its the covers that get to me. And this time its the hair of characters. Tobias in the book has blond crazy hair, but on the cover he has "tidy" dark hair, i mean like come on they compensated for Marco when he got a hair cut but cant get the colour of another one right? same as the show Tobias had dark "tidy" hair.

It's the little things that get to me :P

Offline Coal Kropotkin

• The anarchist formerly known as Prince
  • Gold Donor
  • Howdy!
    • Mastodon
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2009, 08:46:18 AM »
These are small errors that have been brought up too many times to count. SOme of them, such as Jake using thought speech as a human in book 1, are commonly referred to as KASUs (Katherine Applegate Screw Ups). It's a term she came up with herself to identify mistakes she made in continuity or times when she just changed her mind about something (eg. humans using thought speech).

KA wasn't perfect, but nobody is and I challenge anyone to write such a long book series without making any mistakes.

Stephen King did it when he wrote the Dark Tower series. It is an epic containing a story length roughly the length of Animorphs as well. How did he manage to make practically 0 mistakes? By planning for the story for 20+ years. And by proof reading the manuscripts countless times. K.A Applegate probably didn't proofread her stories, which is why the animorphs series don't have the 'polished' feel, unlike the everworld series.
Actually I noticed a tonne of spelling/grammar mistakes when I read Stephen King...

But, I notice them more than most people. They bug me out on the OCD level...

RAFEngaged to Ash! <3
Kat's Awesome!

Updated phone: 423 401 8527

RAFJOP at your service!

Offline Zues770

• Jr. Xtreme Member
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2009, 12:51:59 AM »
The only thing that bothered me was that Marco's mom was "dead for two years" and then later we find out they were fighting the yeerk,s for two years. 2+2=4 <-- by the end of the series that's how long she should have been presumed dead.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2009, 08:17:06 AM »
Why does that bother you?

Ani-Master 2014!

Mira

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2009, 11:03:26 AM »
_ In book 18, Ax is shocked to see that the Visserk can morph into a bird from his planet.
It's weird that he is shocked when you know that this bird is the first animal into which little andalites morph ...

And that wasn't even the first time. I'm really tired about this too. I thought Ax would be smarter then that

Offline iron maiden

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2009, 04:21:32 AM »
which one is right?

1) horkbajir make a war every 62 year (book eight)
2) horkbajir never kill each other until yeerk arrival (horkbajir chronicle, Dak Quote: "Shut up andalite, it is not your race that will kill each other"-well, something like that)

CMIIW  :)

(please don't double-post)
-goom-
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 09:35:43 PM by gµm »

Offline Zues770

• Jr. Xtreme Member
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2009, 03:58:20 PM »
Why does that bother you?

Because the whole time I thought they were only fighting for a few months like 8 or so, not two whole freaking years.

Offline EmberGryphon

• Dust from a Distant Sun
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2009, 04:14:40 PM »
^ I thought it was a three-year war. o0 I could be wrong.

_ In book 18, Ax is shocked to see that the Visserk can morph into a bird from his planet.
It's weird that he is shocked when you know that this bird is the first animal into which little andalites morph ...

yea it makes sense cos alloran (the andalite controlled by visser 3) probably already aquired the kafit bird when he was a kid...

When Aldrea was a kid in HBC, and Alloran was an officer and an adult, the morphing technology was described by her as being 'new'; if I remember right, it wasn't thoroughly tested at that point and she only had it because she had a friend whose parents worked with the technology. I don't think they had it when Alloran was a kid, therefore, he wouldn't have morphed the Kafit for fun. It makes sense for Ax to be surprised by Esplin having the morph.

Offline anijen21

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2009, 05:25:13 PM »
I just started re-reading the series from the beginning, and there are tons and tons of errors. One thing that really struck me was this line in book one:

"four Andalites, standing all together, looking like a strange gathering of deer with solemn faces. Two of them looked very small--kids. I realized this was a picture of the Andalite's family." p. 20

I've read the first book a few times now, and that line never stuck out at me before because I just figured it was Ax + Elfangor and their parents, but for some reason, this time, I realized that was Elfangor's wife and kids. Elfangor's not a kid anymore--he wouldn't be one of the little ones. At this point, I think it's safe to say he's at least in his thirties, in human years. There's no indication anywhere in the series that Andalites remain "kids" that long, in fact, in the Gafinilan book, I think they remark that Elfangor was actually pretty big for an Andalite.

Of course, it's done in vague enough language that it's possible to argue either way, but I really think she fully intended for Elfangor to have an Andalite family before she retconned him being Tobias' dad. I've only read the first two and a half books, but I've come across a few more errors, let me see...

oh, in the second book, Visser Three picks up a cat carrier with a cat inside and choke-holds Chapman, when it's later indicated that Andalite arms are very weak (he can't even squish a Yeerk in his hand in book #29)

The nature of the Yeerk population--in book #1, V3 indicates that they'll need to breed more Yeerks to infest all the humans ("With this many hosts we can spread throughout the universe, unstoppable! Billions of us. We'll have to build a thousand new Yeerk Pools just to raise Yeerks for half this number of bodies." p. 36), while in later books, especially the Hork-Bajir Chronicles, it seems that within the Empire you have to be "selected" to infest a host, like there's more Yeerks than there will ever be hosts.

Oh then there's just stupid stuff, like that ridiculous book where the buffalo and ant got the power to morph, when it's clearly shown in the books that morphing requires a lot of concentration: "When you acquire, you have to think hard about the animal, focusing on it and blocking everything else out." (Book 2, p. 55)

w/e there are a ton of little inconsistencies. I really kind of like them, to be honest. I mean, if you think about it, Scholastic had about a month to write, proofread, and publish each of these books. Not only that, but like most TV shows, there's no end-point they're aiming for, it's impossible to make them entirely self-contained. I think KA even said at one point she had enough ideas to start off with for 12 books, and then it was like, "well, now what?" So mild contradictions for the sake of good storytelling don't really bother me, and not only that, but they leave ripe opportunity and inspiration for fanfic. Like what someone said about Andalite senses of humor--yes, in both the AC and Ax's flashback in #8, it shows that Andalites have a concept of humor, but maybe it's not based on the same thing as the human sense--I'd love to see a fic that explored that a little more deeply.

Anyway, obviously that's me being nerdy. For serious I'm going through the entire series and just taking notes of every inconsistency/clue/thing I find interesting. Cassie/Jake and Tobias/Rachel were already getting shipped in the first and second books. And there's a really interesting line on like the first page of book one that's something like "I'm good at video games b/c I get a lot of practice but Marco analyzes them for weak points and designs strategies, so he beats me sometimes." I think it's amazing that little stuff like that gets so wonderfully integrated into their characters later on.

Okay w/e I'll come back here when I notice more
I go off topic on purpose.