Author Topic: Errors In Animorphs series  (Read 13110 times)

Offline Homer

Errors In Animorphs series
« on: January 07, 2009, 11:50:47 AM »
As i read the series i noticed many errors throughout the book:

1. In book 1, jake is able to thought speak to tobias even though he is in human form

2. thoughout the whole series: inconsistencies in Andalites not understanding humour; some Andalites have humour, some don't even know what humour is.

3. it is not mentioned how Yeerks find their hosts again once in the pool, since according to Ax in book 6 Yeerks are blind in natural state, and cannot even see the animorphs standing right beside the Yeerk pool, and according to book 29 Yeerks fire some kind of echolocation that helps them 'see' vaguely, but not clearly enough to see the faces of people (if the echolocation thing is clear enough then in book 6 the animorphs would have been seen when standing beside the Yeerk pool)

4. ebooks have many errors in spelling

etc... ....

Do post and discuss more errors in the series here! [youtube][spoiler][/spoiler][/youtube]

note: do make a note if you are going to reveal any plot spoilers. thanks. the above are NOT spoilers since they don't really affect the plot in any way.

Offline Toc'

• Xtreme Member
  • One of RAF's French residents
Re: Errors In Animorphs series
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 12:00:32 PM »
_ In book 18, Ax is shocked to see that the Visserk can morph into a bird from his planet.
It's weird that he is shocked when you know that this bird is the first animal into which little andalites morph ...
Pink Piggy: Anyway, these are standard assumptions in economics. I have no problem with them. Quantum theory also seems weird but it is accepted, that is the way of science.
Brown Piggy: Quantum theory makes no claim about the motivations or welfare of quantum particles.
Pink Piggy: You just do not understand the mathematics involved. This is typical uninformed criticism of economics.

¤  Sharing a special bond of RAFenmity with Wildweathel since December '08 ¤

Offline Homer

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 12:07:07 PM »
_ In book 18, Ax is shocked to see that the Visserk can morph into a bird from his planet.
It's weird that he is shocked when you know that this bird is the first animal into which little andalites morph ...

yea it makes sense cos alloran (the andalite controlled by visser 3) probably already aquired the kafit bird when he was a kid...

Offline traycon3

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • I'm sitting on Jesse because he is comfy! XD
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 12:10:00 PM »
I've seen plenty of times where the Animorphs in morph talk like: "blah". Or where the just demorphed Animorphs talk like: <blah>.
Vice-versa for Ax, obviously.
Still throws me for a loop.
I'm not real anymore. I am an illusion. -Rob Thomas, "I am an Illusion"

Offline Uza-chan

• Kiley can spot a liar from a mile away >:O
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 12:30:43 PM »
As i read the series i noticed many errors throughout the book:

1. In book 1, jake is able to thought speak to tobias even though he is in human form

2. thoughout the whole series: inconsistencies in Andalites not understanding humour; some Andalites have humour, some don't even know what humour is.

I know! For Number One it didn't make sense how he could thoughtspeak and then later, they made it clear how you could only do it in morph :P

Also, I just started reading that book where it's in Elfangor's p.o.v., and he seems to understand sarcasm and other things that Ax explained to be "human". I was under the impression that the Andalites didn't have any sense of humor or anything.

ebooks aren't the only ones with grammer mistakes, a lot of the books had grammer mistakes/punctuation mistakes.

Offline Slushie Man

• Just a passing-through Nerd
  • Gold Donor
    • The B-Movie Shelf
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 01:21:46 PM »
thoughout the whole series: inconsistencies in Andalites not understanding humour; some Andalites have humour, some don't even know what humour is.

So just like humans in that way, then?

Are you offering to fix them?

it is not mentioned how Yeerks find their hosts again once in the pool, since according to Ax in book 6 Yeerks are blind in natural state, and cannot even see the animorphs standing right beside the Yeerk pool, and according to book 29 Yeerks fire some kind of echolocation that helps them 'see' vaguely, but not clearly enough to see the faces of people (if the echolocation thing is clear enough then in book 6 the animorphs would have been seen when standing beside the Yeerk pool)

They could be like Sharks, in the sense that they can feel the vibrations in the water.

Also, I just started reading that book where it's in Elfangor's p.o.v., and he seems to understand sarcasm and other things that Ax explained to be "human". I was under the impression that the Andalites didn't have any sense of humor or anything.

Because he had been with them for awhile by this point, and he's started to pick up on various human traits.

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 04:43:18 PM »
These are small errors that have been brought up too many times to count. SOme of them, such as Jake using thought speech as a human in book 1, are commonly referred to as KASUs (Katherine Applegate Screw Ups). It's a term she came up with herself to identify mistakes she made in continuity or times when she just changed her mind about something (eg. humans using thought speech).

KA wasn't perfect, but nobody is and I challenge anyone to write such a long book series without making any mistakes.
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline goom

• the underling of underlings
  • Administrator
  • no other distinguishing characteristics.
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 07:07:11 PM »
haha i know.

maybe it was spelled like that IN the actual book?
if not, i'll proofread some and fix them if you want ;)

Offline Breakability

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 07:40:13 PM »
I forget if it was book 2 or 3, but on page 124 of one of those books, someone began a thought speak ( < ) but ended speaking normally ( " ). It was fairly amusing. I'll have to find it when I have time.
Hopefully I'll bleed lava otherwise life's not worth living.

Offline Gafrash

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 09:36:19 PM »
Given the length of the series, there are quite a few. I kinda think it only human and given the amount of people a single book would have had to go through, I think it virtually i-m-p-o-s-s-i-b-l-e to have an impecable work. I imagine, ALL the other big time Young Adult book series have just as many errors!
That being said, has there been a list of the K.A.S.U.s??

Offline Uza-chan

• Kiley can spot a liar from a mile away >:O
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 10:24:05 PM »
But... aren't editors supposed to proofread stories and... proof it? lol

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 10:28:11 PM »
k.a. isn't perefect. neither are the proofreaders. besides, do the proofreaders actually read the books to find continuity errors? I figured they only find things like grammar errors.

Offline WildAtHeart

• My Myspace
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 08:25:36 AM »
That being said, has there been a list of the K.A.S.U.s??

there are some fansites that have a list of them

Offline Gafrash

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 10:11:33 AM »
I am interested in seeing them listed. Can anyone paste them in for discussion?!

Offline Homer

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 11:07:49 AM »
These are small errors that have been brought up too many times to count. SOme of them, such as Jake using thought speech as a human in book 1, are commonly referred to as KASUs (Katherine Applegate Screw Ups). It's a term she came up with herself to identify mistakes she made in continuity or times when she just changed her mind about something (eg. humans using thought speech).

KA wasn't perfect, but nobody is and I challenge anyone to write such a long book series without making any mistakes.

Stephen King did it when he wrote the Dark Tower series. It is an epic containing a story length roughly the length of Animorphs as well. How did he manage to make practically 0 mistakes? By planning for the story for 20+ years. And by proof reading the manuscripts countless times. K.A Applegate probably didn't proofread her stories, which is why the animorphs series don't have the 'polished' feel, unlike the everworld series.