Author Topic: Errors In Animorphs series  (Read 13112 times)

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
Re: Errors In Animorphs series
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2009, 08:12:27 PM »
It's interesting that you mentioned the bit about Tobias/Rachel and Jake/Cassie being shipped in the first few. My fiance is finally reading the series, and he's only on book #6, but he also saw signs of Rachel/Marco shipping (Marco liking Rachel, not so much the other way around), which is much more subtle and, obviously, never fully explored. As the series goes on KA forgets about it completely, but it is noticeable in the first few.

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2009, 08:32:46 PM »
I think I can explain that though
It starts with Marco just seeing Rachel as pretty, but then as he gets to know her better, and her personality he realizes;
he wants to live ;)
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline Gafrash

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2009, 02:05:57 AM »
...3. it is not mentioned how Yeerks find their hosts again once in the pool, since according to Ax in book 6 Yeerks are blind in natural state, and cannot even see the animorphs standing right beside the Yeerk pool, and according to book 29 Yeerks fire some kind of echolocation that helps them 'see' vaguely, but not clearly enough to see the faces of people (if the echolocation thing is clear enough then in book 6 the animorphs would have been seen when standing beside the Yeerk pool)...
This has been one of the biggest KASU confusions for me in the series.
The Yeerks are meant to be BLIND and deaf and defenseless in their true shape and form. PERIOD! Otherwise their whole 'we must enslave other species' gimmick thing doesn't work.
BUT then, down the series, we learn that they can actually see.
So HOW is it that a number of Animorphs have used the pool to demorph and remorph without being infested. If these Yeerks have this 'echolocation' ability, surely they were able to detect and identify the animated human bodies swimming in the pool. And yet, NONE were infested.

_ In book 18, Ax is shocked to see that the Visserk can morph into a bird from his planet.
It's weird that he is shocked when you know that this bird is the first animal into which little andalites morph ...
This is another KASU that bugs me, too.

once again its the covers that get to me. And this time its the hair of characters. Tobias in the book has blond crazy hair, but on the cover he has "tidy" dark hair, i mean like come on they compensated for Marco when he got a hair cut but cant get the colour of another one right? same as the show Tobias had dark "tidy" hair.
It's the little things that get to me :P
This one is a gold one too. WHAT colour exactly is dirty blond?! In the beginning the model has long darkish. Later on, short blond. They can't be one and the same.

I think in #2 the Visser tells Chapman something about contacting the Homeworld. He spoke as if the Homeworld was not in Andalite-control. And later in the series he makes a big speech on V1 about taking back the Homeworld..

Offline Darth Revan

• Master of the Star Forge!
  • Gold Donor
  • Now you see the true Dark Lord of the Sith!
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2009, 02:57:25 AM »

oh, in the second book, Visser Three picks up a cat carrier with a cat inside and choke-holds Chapman, when it's later indicated that Andalite arms are very weak (he can't even squish a Yeerk in his hand in book #29)

The nature of the Yeerk population--in book #1, V3 indicates that they'll need to breed more Yeerks to infest all the humans ("With this many hosts we can spread throughout the universe, unstoppable! Billions of us. We'll have to build a thousand new Yeerk Pools just to raise Yeerks for half this number of bodies." p. 36), while in later books, especially the Hork-Bajir Chronicles, it seems that within the Empire you have to be "selected" to infest a host, like there's more Yeerks than there will ever be hosts.

First, Alloran was described in TAC as being very well built, his arms being thicker and stronger than normal Andalites

Second Many Yeerk Pool ships are still out there finding and taking other species, then there's also the fact that the Yeerk homeworld is under a blockade, so they can't ship 'em from home.

second continued:  the host selection was because before Earth, they only had small numbers of Ged and Hork-Bajir hosts compared to Yeerks, but then add 7 billion hosts to that number, and I'm sure that more than overwhelms their numbers that are not currently confined by the Andalite blockade.

Of course, it's done in vague enough language that it's possible to argue either way, but I really think she fully intended for Elfangor to have an Andalite family before she retconned him being Tobias' dad. I've only read the first two and a half books, but I've come across a few more errors, let me see...

K.A. had intentionally linked Tobias and Elfangor as father and son from the very beginning, "We all looked at each other. All except Tobias, who never took his gaze off the alien." and,

"We ran. All but Tobias, who knelt beside the Andalite and took his hand. The Andalite
pressed his other hand against Tobias's head. Tobias rocked back, like he'd been shocked.
Then he, too, was up and running, stumbling over the loose junk and potholes of the
construction site."

She hinted at a more-than-curiosity connection between them from the get-go.
RAFengaged to Midnight_Huntress

Offline EmberGryphon

• Dust from a Distant Sun
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2009, 02:32:59 PM »
_ In book 18, Ax is shocked to see that the Visserk can morph into a bird from his planet.
It's weird that he is shocked when you know that this bird is the first animal into which little andalites morph ...
This is another KASU that bugs me, too.

I already mentioned this, but I'll repeat it. ^^() In the beginning of HBC, Aldrea notes that the morphing technology is new and untested, and she only has the technology because the mother of a friend of her's worked in that department and showed her an Escafil device prior to the novel. Alloran is already an adult at the time; there was no morphing technology when he was young. He would not have acquired the Kafit as a child to experiment with morphing; he would have gotten the morphing technology some time after HBC, long after he'd grown up and become a warrior. Ax was fine to be surprised by Esplin morphin' Kafit in #18.

once again its the covers that get to me. And this time its the hair of characters. Tobias in the book has blond crazy hair, but on the cover he has "tidy" dark hair, i mean like come on they compensated for Marco when he got a hair cut but cant get the colour of another one right? same as the show Tobias had dark "tidy" hair.
It's the little things that get to me :P
This one is a gold one too. WHAT colour exactly is dirty blond?! In the beginning the model has long darkish. Later on, short blond. They can't be one and the same.

I believe I read somewhere that KAA initially intended Tobias to be blonde; like, yellow-blonde, but she changed it to "dirty-blonde" because the model, which looked like she wanted Tobias to look otherwise, was brunette. All the models were changed around in the duration of the series- except, I believe, Cassie's- and so when a new Tobias was found, he had the originally correct hair color, and Tobias was blonde again.
Even though I liked Tobias #1 more, personally. x3 He was the Tobias of my childhood, darnit.

I think in #2 the Visser tells Chapman something about contacting the Homeworld. He spoke as if the Homeworld was not in Andalite-control. And later in the series he makes a big speech on V1 about taking back the Homeworld..

I have to ask, and this might have been answered sometime in the series- but was the Counsel of Thirteen on the Homeworld, or were they floating around on a Pool Ship somewhere? The latter makes more sense, since the Andalites were dominating the Yeerk Homeworld, but I also seem to remember some discussion of the Homeworld as some central Yeerk command. ^^()

Offline anijen21

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2009, 03:50:34 PM »
First, Alloran was described in TAC as being very well built, his arms being thicker and stronger than normal Andalites

Second Many Yeerk Pool ships are still out there finding and taking other species, then there's also the fact that the Yeerk homeworld is under a blockade, so they can't ship 'em from home.

second continued:  the host selection was because before Earth, they only had small numbers of Ged and Hork-Bajir hosts compared to Yeerks, but then add 7 billion hosts to that number, and I'm sure that more than overwhelms their numbers that are not currently confined by the Andalite blockade.

All of that makes sense, but there doesn't seem to be any consistency. They've got Pool Ships and ships with vats that store Yeerks and most of the Empire seems to agree that humans are going to give freedom and mobility to the Yeerks, yet they also seem very selective about what hosts they choose to infest. If I remember, they outright refuse certain people for really dumb reasons (V3 refused to infest Tobias after the reading of Elfangor's will just because he was a hood rat or something), although that just might be plot-induced pickiness rather than a real attitude. And, once again, this is an overall impression. In some cases it seems like the Yeerks are willing to take whatever they can get (I mean, hell, they took Taxxons even despite their distracting and effiiency-destroying hunger) and in some cases it seems like they only want the *best of the best*.

K.A. had intentionally linked Tobias and Elfangor as father and son from the very beginning, "We all looked at each other. All except Tobias, who never took his gaze off the alien." and,

"We ran. All but Tobias, who knelt beside the Andalite and took his hand. The Andalite
pressed his other hand against Tobias's head. Tobias rocked back, like he'd been shocked.
Then he, too, was up and running, stumbling over the loose junk and potholes of the
construction site."

She hinted at a more-than-curiosity connection between them from the get-go.

I know, I just read the book, but just because Elfangor was Tobias' dad doesn't preclude him from having an Andalite family too. It was just never mentioned again. You figure Ax would have mentioned having some Andalite nieces and nephews in addition to Tobias. I think she just changed her mind about it sometime around the AC.

But, then again, that's my opinion. You're free to read that as Elfangor, Ax, and their parents if you want. I just like to think that losing Loren didn't totally destroy Elfangor's ability to love :'(
I go off topic on purpose.

Offline Darth Revan

• Gold Donor
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2009, 04:36:17 PM »

All of that makes sense, but there doesn't seem to be any consistency. They've got Pool Ships and ships with vats that store Yeerks and most of the Empire seems to agree that humans are going to give freedom and mobility to the Yeerks, yet they also seem very selective about what hosts they choose to infest. If I remember, they outright refuse certain people for really dumb reasons (V3 refused to infest Tobias after the reading of Elfangor's will just because he was a hood rat or something), although that just might be plot-induced pickiness rather than a real attitude. And, once again, this is an overall impression. In some cases it seems like the Yeerks are willing to take whatever they can get (I mean, hell, they took Taxxons even despite their distracting and effiiency-destroying hunger) and in some cases it seems like they only want the *best of the best*.

They want the best of the best while they are invading and defending, but once all of Earth is theirs, I'm sure they'd start handing out shoddy hosts to shoddy Yeerks. I mean come one, there's 7 billion hosts. That's thousands upon thousands upon thousands. They didn't have thousands of Yeerk pool ships. Yes each pool may have 1000 Yeerks, but the Yeerks did not have over a million pools. let alone over 7 million pool ships.

I know, I just read the book, but just because Elfangor was Tobias' dad doesn't preclude him from having an Andalite family too. It was just never mentioned again. You figure Ax would have mentioned having some Andalite nieces and nephews in addition to Tobias.

Exactly, the fact that didn't say anything about an extended family would preclude this scenario. Also, don't you have any pics of your family when you were little kids? I know my favorite picture of my family is when i was 6 years old. I also have a picture of me and my sister when i was 3 and she was 7.

Offline anijen21

« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2009, 05:15:17 PM »
Exactly, the fact that didn't say anything about an extended family would preclude this scenario. Also, don't you have any pics of your family when you were little kids? I know my favorite picture of my family is when i was 6 years old. I also have a picture of me and my sister when i was 3 and she was 7.

That scenario is definitely possible. I'm only going to keep arguing b/c I still like my version better. We never got any definite ages, but Elfangor was a lot older than Ax--old enough to be in the military before Ax was even born. Then he aged however many years when the Time Matrix in their mini-messed-up-universe *worked its magic*, so by the time he actually got home to take a picture with his family, I don't think he'd be "kid-sized" anymore.

Once again, however, this is new fanwank I just discovered so I got a little giddy about it. As I said, you're free to read it the same way I did the first three times, but I want to believe that in some empty corner of the creator-god's mind, Elfangor had an Andalite family. But that's why I like close reading :)

Offline anijen21

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2009, 07:45:28 PM »
OOH YOU GUYS I FOUND ANOTHER ONE:

We all know the fantastic six's raptor morphs:
Jake: Peregrine Falcon
Marco/Cassie: Osprey
Rachel: Bald Eagle
Tobias: Duh
Ax: Northern Harrier

This is established in book 2 when those douche bags decide to go endangered species-hunting in order to, idk, get fined a lot of money.

"< I can see them, > Cassie said. She and Marco had joined up with us. They had both morphed the same osprey." Bk 2, p. 6

Ah, so. BUT BUT BUT:

"Marco and Rachel had previously morphed bald eagles." Bk 3, p. 149

After the daring escape from the water/air ship that never gets seen again, MARCO comes out of the top of the trees in the forest. "Marco barely made it. He fell down into the forest, out of sight. I was sure he had been too late. But then, up from the trees floated a bird with a six-foot wingspread and a proud white head." Bk 3, p. 150

Ahahahaha I love searching for these. It gives me an undeserved sense of superior entitlement. I'm going to keep looking for them, if it's cool with the rest of you.

Offline Darth Revan

• Gold Donor
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2009, 08:20:04 PM »
It's cool, but you may want to edit your posts instead of double-posting.

Offline Shark Akhrrana

• OOOH FISH
    • Chronicles of Hyrule
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2009, 04:33:21 PM »

That scenario is definitely possible. I'm only going to keep arguing b/c I still like my version better. We never got any definite ages, but Elfangor was a lot older than Ax--old enough to be in the military before Ax was even born. Then he aged however many years when the Time Matrix in their mini-messed-up-universe *worked its magic*, so by the time he actually got home to take a picture with his family, I don't think he'd be "kid-sized" anymore.

Once again, however, this is new fanwank I just discovered so I got a little giddy about it. As I said, you're free to read it the same way I did the first three times, but I want to believe that in some empty corner of the creator-god's mind, Elfangor had an Andalite family. But that's why I like close reading :)

Interesting both possibilities are possible. Aximili didn't  have to mention anything about his family because like he explained to Cassie in book 8 Arisths are not supposed to be homesick. And after when he finds out Tobias s his nephew maybe he told him but not the others. So maybe Elfangor did remarry and have kids. or maybe he likes to keep pictures of his childhood .

There is also teh thing about Aximili not existing in the Timeline where Tobias was born. Elfangor grew about 5 years in that Vortex thing in the made universe. SO Elfangor and Aximili are truly closer in age like in the picture and how they physically look. Maybe that is why he has that picture.  from a timeline he didn't live where Aximili and Elfangor were kids together. maybe he keeps it because he wishes he would have been there.

===============================================

Offline Darth Revan

• Gold Donor
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2009, 04:36:56 PM »
I think the nail has been struck upon the noggin. Nice deductive skills mah freend.

Offline Shark Akhrrana

• OOOH FISH
    • Chronicles of Hyrule
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2009, 04:38:38 PM »
thanks <_< that is what happens when you have read Andalite chronicles 7 times XD

===============================================

Offline Darth Revan

• Gold Donor
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2009, 04:41:01 PM »
true that, except i read it numerous times, 5-6 years ago. I only re-read it in the last few months.

Offline anijen21

« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2009, 11:30:42 PM »
There is also teh thing about Aximili not existing in the Timeline where Tobias was born. Elfangor grew about 5 years in that Vortex thing in the made universe. SO Elfangor and Aximili are truly closer in age like in the picture and how they physically look. Maybe that is why he has that picture.  from a timeline he didn't live where Aximili and Elfangor were kids together. maybe he keeps it because he wishes he would have been there.

that would be cool, but how would he have access to something like that?

I mean the ellimist was pretty indulgent letting elfangor go back to leave a message for tobias, so I guess it's possible he could give him something like that...idk it would just be kind of funny for elfangor to be like "ELLIMIST YOU RUINED MY LIFE BUY ME AN ICE CREAM CONE :''''("

also, wait, why wouldn't ax exist in the timeline where tobias was born? I always got the impression that the ellimist didn't change the actual timeline--he just moved some people around and erased some memories and maybe invented a pseudo-boyfriend to be loren's fake baby-daddy.

idk keep arguing with me I love this kind of stuff