Author Topic: Animorphs Film  (Read 30989 times)

Offline YeerkSalad

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • h
Re: Animorphs Film
« Reply #90 on: September 13, 2015, 07:59:22 AM »
You posted this in the wrong area.
yeah

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #91 on: September 13, 2015, 08:30:54 AM »
Yeah, sounds like we should have been taking this with a giant grain of salt from the beginning.  I have a suspicion this is probably all fishing on the part of the news site, due to the Goosebumps thing.  Taking a legitimate Point A and speculating to a Point B.

I mean, Katherine would know, either way, whatever production they were trying to get off the ground.  If she says it's BS, it doesn't really matter if MyTrackingBoard is sticking to their story.

Not necessarily true. KA and MG don't own the rights to Animorphs. Scholastic does. My understanding is that they can do whatever they want with it and aren't obligated to tell KA anything.

That said, it seems as though we need to just sit and wait and see how this plays out -- without being too disappointed if it was a false lead. It was still totally awesome to see something like Animorphs trending on Facebook. :)

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline YeerkSalad

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • h
« Reply #92 on: September 13, 2015, 09:56:56 AM »
I just don't understand why they wouldn't tell KA and Michael.
yeah

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #93 on: September 13, 2015, 10:13:04 AM »
No clue. It's happened to other creatives who don't own the rights to their work. I don't necessarily know that Scholastic would do that to them, I'm just saying it's possible. Scholastic is a big company, and if they stand to potentially profit, telling the authors could be an afterthought. *shrugs* I hope not. I'd rather there not be a movie and Scholastic play nice with the authors.

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
« Reply #94 on: September 13, 2015, 10:34:14 AM »

Not necessarily true. KA and MG don't own the rights to Animorphs. Scholastic does. My understanding is that they can do whatever they want with it and aren't obligated to tell KA anything.

That said, it seems as though we need to just sit and wait and see how this plays out -- without being too disappointed if it was a false lead. It was still totally awesome to see something like Animorphs trending on Facebook. :)

Disappointed? You mean ecstatic that it was a false lead, because the we know that the end result would suck-diddly-uck?
Okay, that's what I thought you meant
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline YeerkSalad

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • h
« Reply #95 on: September 13, 2015, 11:53:57 AM »
I'm quite glad that it was (probably) a false lead.
yeah

Offline wolfev

« Reply #96 on: September 13, 2015, 03:12:50 PM »
I just don't understand why they wouldn't tell KA and Michael.

Trust me this isn't uncommon. Look up what happened to The Wheel of Time recently
[img width= height= alt=" border="0]https://vspace.vassar.edu/evwaldron/warriors/banner2.jpg[/img]

Offline YeerkSalad

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • h
« Reply #97 on: September 13, 2015, 03:17:00 PM »
Whoa!
yeah

Offline Dylan

• Jeremy Jason McCole's #1 Fan
  • Xtreme Member
  • Do you just hate trashcans?
« Reply #98 on: September 13, 2015, 07:31:08 PM »
I'm quite glad that it was (probably) a false lead.
I'm still gonna be hoping that what what the Tracking Board was right. Also, I'm glad that it would be Universal making the movie, rather than Sony. Sony still has those Animorphs domains though... :P
Waffles. Nuf' Said.
2015: Best Newcomer to RAF
2015: Most Insane Member

Offline NothingFromSomething

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #99 on: September 14, 2015, 02:44:02 AM »
Not necessarily true. KA and MG don't own the rights to Animorphs. Scholastic does.

That they do.  Which is why K.A. checked with her people at Scholastic before commenting on it.

They were always work-for-hire, yeah, which just goes more to the point: Scholastic has nothing to worry about in terms of creator's rights, they can kick the authors to the curb and go it alone if they want to.  They probably wouldn't cut them out entirely, but if they want to, no problem.  So it's not like they're walking around on eggshells tippy-toe-ing around whether Katherine & Michael know what they're working on or not.  The authors are probably entitled to a royalty check and a "story by" credit and that's about it, if the company wants to be dickish about it all.

If they had something in the pipeline, they'd just go "Yep!  Tentative 2017/2018 release date" or whatever.  Seems like they pretty much flat out said "nothing's on the cards".  Doesn't mean Universal hasn't been scouting the license and stuff, we've known a couple of studios were doing that for about a year or two though.  It's only like 10-15% of licensed movies that ever get past that stage, scouting for new IPs alone isn't all that significant.  I think a while back Grant said people were looking at Gone, too, that seems to have fizzled out.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 02:47:17 AM by NothingFromSomething »

Person Of Interest re-watch.  Still stunning as ever.

Offline YeerkSalad

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • h
« Reply #100 on: September 14, 2015, 06:33:46 AM »
I think a while back Grant said people were looking at Gone, too, that seems to have fizzled out.
I thought that was about a TV series, but you're right.
yeah

Offline Ash

• RAF Ancient
  • Social Staff Leader
« Reply #101 on: September 16, 2015, 05:08:49 PM »
On Michael Grant's Facebook:

"OK, here's the word on an ANIMORPHS movie.  The initial report had some accurate elements, but sources at both Scholastic and Universal have assured our lawyer that there is no deal - no deal - for an ANIMORPHS movie.  Frankly, we are relieved.  I'm not going into why we're relieved, let's just say we don't want a replay of the ANIMORPHS TV series."
You may have been given a cactus. Doesn't mean you have to sit on it.

Generation One

Keep up with RAF! Twitter | Facebook

Suspicious activity? Bot alert? Report the post or PM a staff member!

Offline YeerkSalad

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • h
« Reply #102 on: September 16, 2015, 05:24:37 PM »
He and Applegate aren't the only ones who are relieved.
yeah

Offline Tim Bruening

« Reply #103 on: September 16, 2015, 08:11:12 PM »
On Michael Grant's Facebook:

"OK, here's the word on an ANIMORPHS movie.  The initial report had some accurate elements, but sources at both Scholastic and Universal have assured our lawyer that there is no deal - no deal - for an ANIMORPHS movie.  Frankly, we are relieved.  I'm not going into why we're relieved, let's just say we don't want a replay of the ANIMORPHS TV series."

If we don't have a movie or a TV show, and Applegate doesn't write any more books, how do we fire up the Animorphs series?

Offline YeerkSalad

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • h
« Reply #104 on: September 16, 2015, 08:39:43 PM »
I don't think it will be fired back up. I don't know about you, but I'm okay with that.
yeah