Author Topic: Animorphs Film  (Read 33771 times)

Offline NothingFromSomething

• Xtreme Member
Re: Animorphs Film
« Reply #120 on: September 20, 2015, 03:27:58 AM »
Buffy was made on-the-cheap, even by 1996 standards.  It didn't matter, it had that campy B-horror-movie tone and the cheesy effects played into all of that, it works.

Phoenix, we're not there yet in terms of decently-close-to-photorealism, certainly not on TV.  The dragons and such look good on GoT because they're barely even there, used sporadically, and our brains accept it more because we've never seen a dragon.

Animorphs, you have real-life animals front-and-center for extended periods of time.  Even taking the time and effort that Cameron did with Avatar (which no other director does, the guy's obsessed with this stuff), you apply that tech to real existing life and it's not going to look as impressive as the Pandora beasts.

TV's another thing entirely, CG's improved a bunch and is way cheaper than it used to be, but you can't have extended, time-consuming sequences with full CG creatures and have it look good.  Even movies generally don't have the resources for that stuff.

Person Of Interest re-watch.  Still stunning as ever.

Offline YeerkSalad

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • h
« Reply #121 on: September 20, 2015, 09:39:19 AM »
Just to clarify, I wasn't bashing on Buffy for its sometimes-mediocre effects. I was saying that it was still able to exceed Animorphs-level morphing, not to mention writing.

ALL HAIL JOSS WHEDON! (Hail!)
yeah

Offline Tim Bruening

« Reply #122 on: September 20, 2015, 05:01:05 PM »
Just to clarify, I wasn't bashing on Buffy for its sometimes-mediocre effects. I was saying that it was still able to exceed Animorphs-level morphing, not to mention writing.

ALL HAIL JOSS WHEDON! (Hail!)

Okay, lets recruit Joss to do the Animorphs movie!

Offline YeerkSalad

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • h
« Reply #123 on: September 20, 2015, 05:21:24 PM »
If a movie had to be made, I'd want him to do it.
yeah

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #124 on: September 21, 2015, 02:55:21 AM »
Ehh.  I love the guy, but...

Offline YeerkSalad

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • h
« Reply #125 on: September 21, 2015, 06:35:20 AM »
Think Spielberg could do a better job? He's great with kids.
Or maybe directed by Spielberg and written by Whedon?
yeah

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #126 on: September 21, 2015, 10:21:40 AM »
80s Spielberg would have nailed it, yeah, but these days he's a little hit-and-miss.  It'd definitely have to be one of his more intense flicks, not all Munich or anything, but you'd probably want to stay Jurassic Park and above I'd think, in terms of all that.

Honestly I think the best bet, if this were actually happening, would be a relative unknown.  Someone with a vision, someone with one or two critically-acclaimed movies under their belt, having secured final-cut with the studio, but still without the baggage of some big-name director.  Sort of like Rian Johnson with Looper, getting the Star Wars VIII gig, or I suppose Gareth Edwards getting Godzilla from his little indie Monsters.

As for Whedon, he generally only directs stuff that he writes, and I don't think he'd be the type that would want to adapt something like Animorphs.  Much as I'm a fan, he's just not really right for it anyway, all of his stuff has this sort of whimsical idealistic/optimistic-in-the-face-of-all-odds quality to it, gritty & paranoid/cynical ain't really his thing. 

EDIT:  Come to think of it, Katherine "The Hurt Locker/Zero Dark Thirty" Bigelow might even be a rad way to go.  She's pretty in-your-face and visceral, but with a sort of playful snarky sense of humor to things too.  She'd certainly handle the war-movie prerequisite no problem.  Has some experience with crazy high-concept sci-fi, Strange Days is an amazing flick. 
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 06:05:49 PM by NothingFromSomething »

Offline YeerkSalad

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • h
« Reply #127 on: September 21, 2015, 05:06:54 PM »
I haven't heard of many bad Spielberg films, but the ones I have heard of are (mostly) newer ones.

Yeah, guess Whedon might not be the best fit.

Never seen any Bigelow films. When I'm older I might, but it sounds like the films she's made might not be considered "appropriate" by my parents. I think my dad owns Zero Dark Thirty and The Hurt Locker, though.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 08:55:58 AM by YeerkSalad »
yeah

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #128 on: September 21, 2015, 06:07:18 PM »
Yeah, both of Bigelow's recent films are pretty R.  If you're young and have parental supervision, best to wait.

Both are great, but yeah...they're war movies, for sure.  She used to be married to James Cameron though, they collaborated a bit in the 90s.

As for Spielberg, he's back on form lately, but he did go through a bit of a crappy period a while back.  But yeah, everything from Jaws through to Schindler's List & JP are classic.  Close Encounters is tha shiznit, as the cool kids say.  Or don't.

Another random way-out-there suggestion, Joe Dante who did Gremlins, The 'Burbs and Small Soldiers might be a decent fit.  Has that middle-America suburbia thing down, and has a sort of intensity about him but still in that still-semi-appropriate-for-all way.  Snarky as hell, too, would totally get the humor right.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 06:11:29 PM by NothingFromSomething »

Offline YeerkSalad

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • h
« Reply #129 on: September 21, 2015, 06:39:58 PM »
Hmm...
yeah

Offline Dylan

• Jeremy Jason McCole's #1 Fan
  • Xtreme Member
  • Do you just hate trashcans?
« Reply #130 on: October 01, 2015, 01:20:42 AM »
People are still writing articles about the supposed movie. While KA/Grant haven't said anything other than their big "**** Noooo", I'm gonna keep holding out for supposed move

Also, I gonna keep posting this because (http://www.mtv.com/news/2281900/animorphs-fancast/) because I  still can't believe I just read an article written by MTV. About animorphs. 15 years after the finale. Where they unabashedly wrote out Ax's full name.
Waffles. Nuf' Said.
2015: Best Newcomer to RAF
2015: Most Insane Member

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #131 on: October 01, 2015, 03:09:10 AM »
It's fishing, man.  There's a slight uptick in buzz about Animorphs becauseof the false article, not because there's a chance K.A./Scholastic are wrong and it's actually going ahead.

People saw the article, got their hopes up, and started talking about it.  Pretty simple.

Offline Tim Bruening

« Reply #132 on: October 01, 2015, 07:06:49 AM »
It's fishing, man.  There's a slight uptick in buzz about Animorphs becauseof the false article, not because there's a chance K.A./Scholastic are wrong and it's actually going ahead.

People saw the article, got their hopes up, and started talking about it.  Pretty simple.

Next step: Start a campaign to crowd-raise money to fund the movie!  That would demonstrate that here's enough interest to justify a movie!

I bet that one of the purposes of the fake article was a trial balloon to see if there was enough public interest in an Animorphs movie to justify making one!

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #133 on: October 02, 2015, 03:12:46 AM »
If you think you can raise $100-150mil+ through crowd-funding of all things, go for it I guess.  Best of luck to you, oh optimist.

guitarhero01234

« Reply #134 on: October 02, 2015, 03:16:03 AM »
I bet that one of the purposes of the fake article was a trial balloon to see if there was enough public interest in an Animorphs movie to justify making one!

. . . Or the far more likely explanation that it was done to drive traffic to the website that posted the article and generate more ad revenue.