Author Topic: If the yeerks really invaded earth...  (Read 15062 times)

Offline Gumby

• Reginald, Lord of The Abyss.
  • Xtreme Member
  • Back to where it all began
Re: If the yeerks really invaded earth...
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2008, 08:34:02 AM »
With a rapier, just kill 3 Taxxons and the other taxxons finish the job.
"Now I can't speak for everyone; at least not until 'The Device' is completed."

- Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2008, 09:29:41 AM »
We'd have no choice but to fight, since running isn't an option even if we wanted to. Besides, the Yeerks want at least some of us alive to take as hosts, so they couldn't just wipe us out from orbit, they'd have to send down soldiers to fight us on the ground. And that's where our numbers will work against them. Sure a Hork-Bajir (and maybe even a Taxxon) could beat us in hand to hand combat, but Earth has a hell of a lot of guns and others weapons, and as Visser 1 pointed out, one shot in head by a pistol will easily kill a Hork-Bajir (and Taxxons are dead as soon as they start to bleed!)

There's also the will to survive and our habit of never giving up to take into account. As stated in book 6, humans will often carry on fighting even if they think all is lost, but Yeerks won't. And that's why we'd win...
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2008, 09:39:13 AM »
I'd want to believe that I'd fight, but in all honesty, I'm pretty sure I'd give up and commit suicide. Maybe i'll fight for a while, but then I'd give up. like eva said in visser:
But the truth is, Marco, humans do submit. Not all, and not always, but some, maybe most. Enough will submit

Offline Kharina

« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2008, 10:53:00 AM »
Like I said, I'm still going with lowly #4. Especially if there's some way I can get in with the YPM. If not...I guess I'd pretend nothing is happening as long as possible or try to help out in little ways. Looking back, yeah the Rachel thing is a tad unrealistic. I'm more of a Marco anyways. I don't come up with ideas, but I poke holes in them a whole lot. So if I were to resist I suppose I could somehow use that...

Something tells me that even if you agree to become a host they don't have some computer dating type system to match you up with your ideal Yeerk partner. And even if they did I doubt you could ask for one that is considered a traitor.
You're the one who likes poking holes in other people's plans. :P

I don't think Terenia was proposing going to the Empire Yeerks and asking to be given a PM Yeerk.  They don't know who the PM Yeerks are, for obvious reasons.  I think she was saying, if there was a way she could contact the PM directly, she would become a voluntary controller to a PM Yeerk.

To answer the thread, I have no clue what I'd do.  I've never been in a war, so I honestly can't say.  I know that's a boring response, but it's the most truthful one.

We'd have no choice but to fight, since running isn't an option even if we wanted to. Besides, the Yeerks want at least some of us alive to take as hosts, so they couldn't just wipe us out from orbit, they'd have to send down soldiers to fight us on the ground. And that's where our numbers will work against them. Sure a Hork-Bajir (and maybe even a Taxxon) could beat us in hand to hand combat, but Earth has a hell of a lot of guns and others weapons, and as Visser 1 pointed out, one shot in head by a pistol will easily kill a Hork-Bajir (and Taxxons are dead as soon as they start to bleed!)

There's also the will to survive and our habit of never giving up to take into account. As stated in book 6, humans will often carry on fighting even if they think all is lost, but Yeerks won't. And that's why we'd win...

As v1 said, five billion humans all firing a single bullet would easily wipe out the Yeerk forces in an all-out war, even if they missed most of the time.  But the point is, five billion wouldn't be firing that bullet.  Looking at what the world is really like, I have a sneaking suspicion most of the 5 billion would be firing the bullets at each other over arguments about what to do about the Yeerk threat.  Nice to think about us uniting against a common enemy, but unrealistic IMHO. We could be taken by all-out war, especially if the Yeerks already had enough infested to outnumber the rest.

As a joke I'd pour a large amount of salt in the yeerk pool. Seriously why didn't anyone think of that?
The idea of a guerrilla war is interesting though. I mean, it is impossible to win a guerrilla style war so the yeerks could not possible win. Furthermore, wouldn't defeating the yeerk in your head just be as simple as taking a large does of some drug. Not enough to kill the human, just to kill the slug. I really don't know what I'd do though. You can never really tell what someone will do if their life is on the line. I guess I would fight, but I don't think there would be any enlisting for me. Just not my style. Honestly I wouldn't sell people out, but I would prefer to take the yeerks out my own way. Like maybe with explosives or something like that. If the animorphs actually were real and fighting this war in real life, I would be amazed that they never really cracked.

Firstly, I don't think the Yeerk would let you do that :P  But anyway, it wouldn't affect the Yeerk at all, because you don't share any blood with your Yeerk, just neurone connections, and the drug couldn't be passed through those.  (At least, the way it seems from the series you don't share blood with your Yeerk.  But then how do they get oxygen when in the brain?... If you try to look too deeply into the physiology behind Animorphs, it falls apart :P...)  You'd just end up making yourself feel ill.  Shame though, it's a good idea.

Dunno if the salt would affect the Yeerks.  They may look like slugs, but I don't know if their physiology is the same.  You'd have to ask Ax, and hope it wasn't one of the lectures where he wasn't really paying attention :P
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 11:00:01 AM by Kharina »

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
  • Your friendly neighbourhood plural system
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2008, 11:02:22 AM »
The main component of the pool is water.

Salt dissolves and absorbs water.

I'm quite certain that it would affect a Yeerk the same as it would any Earth slug.
The universe is, instant by instant, re-created anew. There is, in truth, no Past, only a memory of the Past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. The only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.

-GNU Terry Pratchet, The Thief of Time

Offline zaprowsdower

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • The Ancient of Days
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2008, 11:04:40 AM »
I would be a reporter for a  yeerk-free news service, getting the truth out there to everyone about what exactly's going on.

I'm going to continue my existence under the assumption that that was a joke. :)
Why's that ????
Not caring about what's popular since 2006.

Offline Kharina

« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2008, 01:19:41 PM »
The main component of the pool is water.

Salt dissolves and absorbs water.

I'm quite certain that it would affect a Yeerk the same as it would any Earth slug.

I know the salt would be dissolved in the water.  I'm just querying whether it would be absorbed by the Yeerks in sufficient quantity to kill them.  After all, we never see a large number of Yeerks going mad after the Anis dump oatmeal into the pool, so maybe they are able to prevent the entry of harmful substances/ too much nutrients into their cells, or remove them from their cells before they can do any damage.  It may be unlikely, but it's possible.  Just because Yeerks look like Earth slugs is no guarantee they have similar physiology.  After all, they evolved on a totally different planet.  I'd agree with you, it is likely the salt would affect them (although you'd need a lot for the whole pool), but not necessarily certain.

Offline Duff

• Entreprenerd
  • God
    • Under the Capes
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2008, 01:40:50 PM »
actually the drug thing might work because the yeerks can still get the rush from oatmeal if their host eats it, maybe its their choice of whether or not to tap into the hosts nutrients

yeerks vs humans would actually be kinda close, the yeerks would have no problem killing every army in the world from orbit, it would still be less than 5% of the pop (i dno what it would actually be, that sounds about right tho)

ive already said id fight, guerilla style, make some homemade explosives, blow up key locations stuff like that, yea id be afraid, but id get over it, ive dealt with fear before

Offline Kharina

« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2008, 01:56:11 PM »
actually the drug thing might work because the yeerks can still get the rush from oatmeal if their host eats it, maybe its their choice of whether or not to tap into the hosts nutrients

yeerks vs humans would actually be kinda close, the yeerks would have no problem killing every army in the world from orbit, it would still be less than 5% of the pop (i dno what it would actually be, that sounds about right tho)

ive already said id fight, guerilla style, make some homemade explosives, blow up key locations stuff like that, yea id be afraid, but id get over it, ive dealt with fear before

Yeah, good point about the oatmeal!  Although oatmeal does seem to be a special case in all kinds of ways... maybe they do tap into the blood supply, somehow, then.  That would explain how they get oxygen.  Yet it doesn't explain why they can't just get all the nutrients they need from the host, and not have to go to the Yeerk Pool to feed...

Yet Visser One never mentions being affected by the drug her old host Jenny Lines took, despite continuing its use.  So yeah, maybe it's a choice.

However, the fact remains that any Yeerk that allowed it's host to take a large quantity of toxic drugs in order to kill it would be a very stupid Yeerk indeed :P

Offline Duff

• Entreprenerd
  • God
    • Under the Capes
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2008, 02:06:56 PM »
i never understood why the hosts in the cages werent just constantly trying to commit suicide, it wouldnt have been that easy but, well i do understand, kids story and all but im just saying lol

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2008, 02:13:02 PM »
Good point, Duff. Why weren't they beating their brains out on the bars?
If the cages were against the walls and not out in the center of the floor, the ones in the back would be able to die without interruption by the Hork-Bajir guards.

If they failed, they could ask the others to strangle them.

A lot of people carry pocket-knives, and the nails in a standard shoe are extremely sharp.

Kids' story? Seems rather violent, though, considering.
The universe is, instant by instant, re-created anew. There is, in truth, no Past, only a memory of the Past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. The only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.

Offline Duff

• Entreprenerd
  • God
    • Under the Capes
« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2008, 02:15:49 PM »
Good point, Duff. Why weren't they beating their brains out on the bars?
If the cages were against the walls and not out in the center of the floor, the ones in the back would be able to die without interruption by the Hork-Bajir guards.

If they failed, they could ask the others to strangle them.

A lot of people carry pocket-knives, and the nails in a standard shoe are extremely sharp.

Kids' story? Seems rather violent, though, considering.

yea but how many of them would really be up for strangling another person, i dno if i could do it, id like to think i could but that has got to be difficult

and yea its a violent kids story but there really isnt a way to make suicide fit without it being way too unneccessary and they'd never have the time to address it properly if its just a passing yeerk pool scene

Offline nothlitlifestyles

« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2008, 02:35:11 PM »

I'm sure the first time the host thought "hey maybe I could kill myself when I'm free" the yeerk would make sure not to carry anything that would allow that down to the yeerk pool. Although I have to mention I dont think I have ever owned a pair of shoes with nails in them.

Would the beating yourself silly on the bars really work? I mean you'd be more likely to knock yourself unconcious than kill yourself. And once your out you cant do much more to kill yourself. I think strangling eachother would be almost the only way, and like duff said.... how many people would be able to strangle another?

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2008, 03:03:42 PM »
It's VERY easy to break a neck, though. 60 lbs per square inch, torque, and *crack*.

Don't ask.

Also, anything you carry can be used to kill you. You can hang yourself with a SHIRT. You can strangle yourself on the elastic in your UNDEROOS, for pity's sake. Shoelaces are even better.

Quote from: Estelore on Yesterday at 19:46:34
I would be a reporter for a  yeerk-free news service, getting the truth out there to everyone about what exactly's going on.

I'm going to continue my existence under the assumption that that was a joke.

Why's that ?

Yeerk-free news service. Yeerk-free news service. Every time I say it, it just gets funnier and FUNNIER!

*falls off of chair, laughing hysterically*

Offline Mongoose

« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2008, 03:13:17 PM »
It's VERY easy to break a neck, though. 60 lbs per square inch, torque, and *crack*.
Trouble is you can't break your own neck, so you'd need to find someone to break it for you. How many necks would you be willing to break?
Also, anything you carry can be used to kill you. You can hang yourself with a SHIRT. You can strangle yourself on the elastic in your UNDEROOS, for pity's sake. Shoelaces are even better.
The biggest problem is that the Yeerk is in your head reading your thoughts. Once that idea enters your mind then you'll find yourself wearing skintight t-shirts, sandals and going commando every time you visit the pool and there's nothing you can do about it.
They may even have their own version of suicide watch.
You should never go in there without a mongoose. (James Bond, Live and Let Die)