Author Topic: How would you buy the reprints?  (Read 9210 times)

esplin

Re: How would you buy the reprints?
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2010, 01:31:51 PM »
Well there is the factor that the ebooks will easily be pirated, why not print real ones?  That prevents theft on a huge scale like that.

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Most Ladylike-Robot-superhero-weak ankled Chippendale-loose cannon teleporter-1/64 ninja-not British comedian-also not Steph-Kit in spirit-Sharing member for life-cuddlestorm-bricklayer-necromancer-Hot Dog Day enthusiast!
  • Social Staff
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2010, 01:47:43 PM »
So are you saying books should never move to online format? That literature is destined to become little more than a nostalgic remnant of the past?

I fully agree that online books result in much greater potential for piracy, but I don't believe the solution is for books to stay out of the online environment. No risk, no reward. Besides, I see the eventual widespread use of online books as pretty inevitable, so the publishers that stay out of the ebook thing on the grounds that "they might be pirated" will be the ones left in the dust, whereas those that dive into the information age headfirst will be successful.

Marie and Abby are my wonderful RAFsisters ^_^
Salem's Story

esplin

« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2010, 02:43:16 PM »
Well I dont think books should be included in the electronic revolution because the whole point of a book when I was growing up was to get away from TV and computers.  I don't want my children glued to screens even worse then I, I think real books are much better for the eyes and such.  Not to mention a book is something you can hold and become attached to, i dont think that can be applied to files on a computer or little ebookreader thingy.

Offline anijen21

« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2010, 04:17:47 PM »
Monthly series hold the advantage, however, of being able to sell subscriptions- you could even keep the same price per book and just throw in extras for monthly subscribers. It might actually be advantageous to stretch the wait time between volumes- it almost seems like a bi-monthly series would feel more substantial. Of course, then you risk your audience losing interest or growing out of the series... Haha, okay, forget I said anything. For one-off novels in ebook form... I probably wouldn't be willing to pay more than like... $7? Give or take? Depending on how interested I was, of course. Set the prices too high and you risk losing more customers to piracy. And I know I still much prefer reading on paper, so until simulated paper technology becomes more widespread, I think the prices for ebooks have to be kept nice and low.

I totally agree with delta that there should be some sort of trial period... or (in a cruel but probably very effective plot) maybe the first few chapters could be made available for free. Something similar to the way you can cruise a few pages of books in the bookstore before purchasing. For a monthly series... I'm not sure I'd release it alongside paperbacks, honestly. Exclusively ebook series make much more sense than paperback monthly series in today's world. Shorter series and standalone novels need to start being released in electronic incarnations alongside their physical versions in order to propagate the ebook trend.

That subscription thing is a really good point, I didn't even think about that. It would provide an incentive for people to buy the books in bulk, then, too--like how on iTunes you can get the season pass for a TV season for slightly cheaper than just buying each individual episode.

I'm still basically on the side that RIGHT NOW, ebooks aren't there yet. Publishers aren't on board, and despite a few technophile bibliophiles, I don't think the consumer base is on board with the e-readers, either. I think you're right, eventually it's going to get to the point, like with any new technology, that it's cheaper to buy the ebooks than real books, but I think it's going to take a while to get there yet.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but the only thing I'm thinking about with this whole thing is price. And I'm still cheap enough to buy most of my books used. I really don't think there's a difference between a brand new copy of a book and an edition from 20 years ago, as long as it's held up over the years. Maybe most people don't feel that way. And maybe once the economy kicks up again, people will start to feel more comfortable moving from used books to new books. I know right now, when I grab a new hardcover, I groan at the various ways the publisher artificially raises the price--those stupid rough-torn page edges, raised lettering on the cover, colored ink inside. Like, who gives a damn?

Okay that was sort of a tangent, but I think for ebooks to finally catch on there's going to have to be some innovations. Like the subscription thing is genius, but what if you could use your ereader to directly access a community of fans of the book? What if you could click on the book, and there was a link that said "see what critics say! See what others say! See a message from the author!" It's like DVDs--besides market saturation, I think a very big reason DVD supplanted VHS as the home video format was that they could do more. You didn't have to rewind them, and they included all of that extra stuff--making of featurettes, director and actor commentary, production stills. There is a very large market of people who buy special edition DVDs just for all of that extra stuff. Why couldn't that work for publishing too? Then, you could still price discriminate--offer just the text for a lower price, and for a slightly inflated price, provide access to all of that extra information.

lol I basically just pounced on your idea, Aluminator. But you've finally convinced me that ebooks could work.
I go off topic on purpose.

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
  • <Pirate Gloomy bear morph!>
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2010, 05:04:13 PM »
Well, I don't know, but I think that after 5 pages, we came to the "conclusion" that both ebooks and actual books are good. Some people will buy ebooks.
KAA&MG asked that to know if it was interesting for some people to have ebooks. So I think they wanted to know if it was better to make ebooks and actual books, or only actual books, but never thought about making only ebooks ^^'
Actual books are far from disappearance...

Now, if we want they really have all the answers they need, it would be nice if some of you asked your younger sisters/brothers/cousins... because they'll mostly be the public that Scholastic will look for. Do they prefer ebooks? Would they buy ebooks?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 05:09:02 PM by Dameg »
..."in a perpetual state of Celtic gloom"
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
Student Evil Demo 1.0 (explicit dialogs, 12+)
My Forum

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Most Ladylike-Robot-superhero-weak ankled Chippendale-loose cannon teleporter-1/64 ninja-not British comedian-also not Steph-Kit in spirit-Sharing member for life-cuddlestorm-bricklayer-necromancer-Hot Dog Day enthusiast!
  • Social Staff
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2010, 05:49:57 PM »
Okay that was sort of a tangent, but I think for ebooks to finally catch on there's going to have to be some innovations. Like the subscription thing is genius, but what if you could use your ereader to directly access a community of fans of the book? What if you could click on the book, and there was a link that said "see what critics say! See what others say! See a message from the author!" It's like DVDs--besides market saturation, I think a very big reason DVD supplanted VHS as the home video format was that they could do more. You didn't have to rewind them, and they included all of that extra stuff--making of featurettes, director and actor commentary, production stills. There is a very large market of people who buy special edition DVDs just for all of that extra stuff. Why couldn't that work for publishing too? Then, you could still price discriminate--offer just the text for a lower price, and for a slightly inflated price, provide access to all of that extra information.

lol I basically just pounced on your idea, Aluminator. But you've finally convinced me that ebooks could work.

This is one pouncing I'm more than okay with- you're looking deeper into that than I was. Now I'm excited too :) I feel like ebooks would become a heck of a lot more viable with some extras thrown in by the publishers. Ohhh, that would be awesome. Somebody should get some publishing execs down here and convince them, too!

Yeah, it's an interesting question- I'll definitely ask around to my friends and family and see what they say and what their thoughts are. I'm especially curious as to what the really young-uns will say.

Salem's Story

Offline 2awesome4apossum

« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2010, 04:21:59 PM »
In all of my interaction with children, I have no reason to believe that they'd buy ebooks.  It would mostly be for the older readers, which (let's face it) are such a small portion of the children's book market.  From my experience, PTA moms also HATE stuff that will keep kids on a computer longer.

Here's the kind of writing that works online: free serialized stories.  That's been tested by children's companies (ie. LEGO) and works as a promotional tool.  I also have a limited amount of experience with current events ebooks, and those seem to sell pretty alright.

Obviously people aren't willing to pay as much for a digital version of something they could get in an analog form.  People say that we're moving to a paperless society -- that may be true, but the children's market will experience a delay (think about VHS to DVD -- the children's genre had, by far, the biggest delay).  1.99-2.99 is the only working selling price I could fathom.  Even then, I think that profits would be minimal.

People also have a preference to different formats, so formatting is everything in the ebook world when you don't have a page to flip.  I think that everyone here seems to be forgetting that this is a children's series, which changes everything in the world of marketing (as I'm sure the authors know, which is why they're debating it, in the first place).
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 08:52:43 PM by 2awesome4apossum »

Offline itw2009

• Gold Donor
  • your daily dose of skepticism
« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2010, 06:23:01 PM »
^^ i like your point. and i am very biased toward incoming technologies.

and i have a notion that the people on this forum are a little older than "children" (as defined by the intended audience of the original series), yet they're not quite parents of children of that age, either. i could be wrong; i've only been here a week. in any case, i'll guess and say that i don't believe that we're qualified to speak either for the parents of the audience or for the children in the audience. how many of us are PTA parents? ^^;; if this is market research for how a children's book series will be received by parents or their children, then it's coming from us in a secondhand way: based on our observations and not our personal experience. ^^;

you make me wonder why the authors posed the question to us in the first place.
“The President and a small group of people know exactly what he meant."

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
  • <Pirate Gloomy bear morph!>
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2010, 07:48:55 PM »
About RAFians' ages:
http://animorphsforum.com/forum/index.php/topic,318.0.html
It may have changed a little, because nobody answer anymore for about 6 months, and everybody grew up ^^ But you can see that the majority of us are between 15 and 24 years old, so you're right, Itw.
..."in a perpetual state of Celtic gloom"
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
Student Evil Demo 1.0 (explicit dialogs, 12+)
My Forum

Offline itw2009

• Gold Donor
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2010, 08:28:06 PM »
oh, wow. although i was guessing, we're still younger than i thought we were. thanks, dameg~

well, this just means that we have some pretty intelligent young people. D: or it means that i'm getting to THAT AGE, and i'm starting to think that kids on the whole are stupid.

darnit. that means i'm getting stupid.

(i added my vote to the poll. :P)

Offline 2awesome4apossum

« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2010, 09:25:37 PM »
Another thought.  Parents usually pay for their children's books, right?  (Granted, the fabulous thing about marketing is that advertising to children is super-effective in getting their parents to buy stuff for them.)

Those little ebook devices aren't exactly child-friendly, and they aren't selling to the parents.  The ebook market has yet to be "broken in", so to speak.  I'm of the opinion that it will be a while before it does.

When it finally is "broken in", I believe that it will be an interactive multimedia experience (video clips, pictures, music, and so forth).  We're already starting to see some of those, but much as I indicated earlier, those tend to work best as promotions.  While some companies are beginning to try marketing these kind of multimedia ebooks, they haven't sold very well.  However, they're VERY effective when used as promotional materials to sell other products (toys, books, games and the likes).

LEGO tested this out with their "Bionicle" franchise, and because it worked so effectively, they're producing these kind of promotional materials for ALL their toy lines.

Even if the ebook market WAS "broken in", it still has to make the transition to children.  I think we're a long ways off from Scholastic or other children's publishers considering that sort of a thing.

Unlike more recent technology (film reels -> vhs -> dvds) books have literally been around for thousands of years.  I like what Ax says in his first book narrative (or was it his next book-narrative?).  It was something to the effect of books being superior to computers because of how efficient and easy they are to use.  One just has to turn a page.

I'm not ruling out the possibility that we are in the middle of transitioning to a "paperless age", but I think the extent of it will be limited.  There's something to be said of an "analog" (tangible) item that's been around for thousands of years.  I could be wrong, though. ;)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 09:32:47 PM by 2awesome4apossum »

Offline itw2009

• Gold Donor
« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2010, 10:02:42 PM »
lol. i, too, mentioned that bit in my first response to this thread: Ax's calling computers backwards, compared to books. ^^; kinda funny that we remember that parallel.

i think anijen (and aluminator, in a way) also mentioned this interactive, multimedia approach to ebooks. someone else - or two someone elses- suggested animated comic things.

scholastic already has some multimedia websites, though, don't they? even back in the day, i thought they had something for animorphs. if they found enough support, i could see an easy transition to "games, animated shorts, interviews, forums, and previewing/purchasing ebooks!" it'd be a lot like the nickelodeon webpage, or something similar.

Offline elizyma

« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2010, 07:52:03 PM »
No one's said this yet:

I would buy the Animorph reprints in book form if there was no updating.

I agree, and I'm another person that's pro-book/anti-e-book haha.  I might be old fashioned, but turning pages and having not one but TWO pages open at once is something I'm accustomed to and enjoy.  Plus it just fits so much easier into a hand than a flat, too-big kindle that I see people carrying around on airplanes now.

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Social Staff
« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2010, 12:59:22 PM »
Yeah, see, that's one of those technological Catch-22's. If the technology becomes more widespread, it can be made easier to use and read, and smaller and nicer to handle and so on, but unless the technology improves more, it's less likely to become widespread.

Salem's Story

Offline rubiana

« Reply #74 on: May 26, 2010, 10:09:24 PM »
I have all but 2 or 3 of the Animorphs series in the original prints, so I really have no reason to buy the reprints in paper or ebook versions. But for ebooks generally, I buy quite a few of them because they tend to be a few bucks cheaper than the print versions (costs of production are lower), and I have no problem reading them on my computer. The ebooks I buy tend to run $2-$7, depending on the length. For something monthly, I'd point to http://www.webscription.net/p-1283-grantville-gazette-bundle-volumes-29-to-34-currently-29.aspx as an example. Bundle of 6 books for $27, which is slightly cheaper than buying each issue individually.
HOWEVER, I despise ebooks that are platform-specific and DRMed and refuse to buy them. Yes, it's easier to pirate pdf, but real fans are willing to support their favorite authors, and lack of mobility will turn off fans.