Author Topic: Wait a minute...  (Read 4172 times)

Offline Stephquiem

• #1 Poster 8)
  • Gold Donor
  • ^ Hugh. Not House, dagnabit.
    • Facebook
Re: Wait a minute...
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2010, 02:43:13 PM »
What's to keep them from doing it anyway? What makes him more vulnerable touching the cube than being in a pool?

In the pool, he just slips out of the ear and into the pool. After he gets his fix, he slips back into Alloran's body. So he, himself, isn't really at risk--though Alloran's body is, the whole time. Touching the cube means he's out of his host body and not in the pool but literally in the hands of another Yeerk while he finds the cube and touches it--and then gets help getting back in.

Basically, he's more vulnerable as a yeerk on a table than a yeerk in the pool.

The real question is, then, why didn't some other yeerk-cakes try to steal his host body when he was in the pool and pretend to be the Visser? ESPECIALLY in #8, where Visser Three leaves Alloran's body.

How is Alloran more at risk than the yeerk slug? The Yeerks would be working to keep him alive. Not to mention the fact that he's got his own natural defences. As a yeerk in the pool, Visser Three would be a lot more vulnerable. See the Oatmeal incident -- something happens to the pool, he's screwed.

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Most Ladylike-Robot-superhero-weak ankled Chippendale-loose cannon teleporter-1/64 ninja-not British comedian-also not Steph-Kit in spirit-Sharing member for life-cuddlestorm-bricklayer-necromancer-Hot Dog Day enthusiast!
  • Social Staff
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2010, 05:04:05 PM »
... About this here topic; why would the Visser even want to be able to morph as a Yeerk? I don't think he'd see any real advantage, since he's probably too egotistical to see himself ever being without Alloran. As a Yeerk, when he demorphs, he's a helpless slug. At least in his host, when he demorphs, he's still a fast, dangerous Andalite.

Marie and Abby are my wonderful RAFsisters ^_^
Salem's Story

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2010, 05:20:41 PM »
Hindsight being 20/20 and all....it would have been to Esplin's advantage to have the morphing power in the long run, as it may have led to a possible escape route post-war. However, since he did not think to do so....

Anyhow, I don't think Esplin OR Alloran were ever at risk. I imagine he had his own personal Yeerk Pool that was probably in his quarters. He could just lock the door, restrain his host, and feed to his sluggy content. He could probably even set it up so that if anyone tried to enter his room mounted Dracon Beams would immediately fry their sorry butt.

As for in #8, I think that was more of a fear thing. Stupid, mindless underlings not taking advantage of a situation that they could take advantage of.

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline powertrash

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2010, 03:49:04 AM »
What's to keep them from doing it anyway? What makes him more vulnerable touching the cube than being in a pool?

In the pool, he just slips out of the ear and into the pool. After he gets his fix, he slips back into Alloran's body. So he, himself, isn't really at risk--though Alloran's body is, the whole time. Touching the cube means he's out of his host body and not in the pool but literally in the hands of another Yeerk while he finds the cube and touches it--and then gets help getting back in.

The real question is, then, why didn't some other yeerk-cakes try to steal his host body when he was in the pool and pretend to be the Visser? ESPECIALLY in #8, where Visser Three leaves Alloran's body.

How is Alloran more at risk than the yeerk slug? The Yeerks would be working to keep him alive. Not to mention the fact that he's got his own natural defences. As a yeerk in the pool, Visser Three would be a lot more vulnerable. See the Oatmeal incident -- something happens to the pool, he's screwed.

Alloran's body. Another yeerk could easily infest it when the visser is in the pool.
Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.
[G.K. Chesterton]

Offline Stephquiem

• #1 Poster 8)
  • Gold Donor
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2010, 03:56:56 AM »

Alloran's body. Another yeerk could easily infest it when the visser is in the pool.

O.o What? How's is that even remotely likely? ...Or really a danger to his body? Besides, Terenia's probably close to the mark for how it worked when Visser Three was in the pool, based just on what we have to go on.

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2010, 11:32:31 AM »
Plus if a Yeerk tried to infest Alloran that would mean leaving his own host untethered. That freed host could easily destroy a restrained Alloran while the Yeerk was still struggling to gain full control.

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline powertrash

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2010, 01:50:17 PM »

O.o What? How's is that even remotely likely? ...Or really a danger to his body? Besides, Terenia's probably close to the mark for how it worked when Visser Three was in the pool, based just on what we have to go on.

Yeah, Terenia's comment makes a lot of sense.

However, considering the prestige of the Andalite body, it seems fairly likely that power-hungry yeerks might have tried to steal it from him. He probably guarded it carefully, but I see other yeerks plotting a way to infest Alloran while the Visser was in the pool a very distinct possibility. The Visser is probably very careful about it, but there are most likely ambitious underlings that would desire to try to steal that host body.
Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.
[G.K. Chesterton]

Offline Stephquiem

• #1 Poster 8)
  • Gold Donor
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2010, 03:13:18 PM »
Maybe it's a possibility, but that doesn't mean they would have been given the opportunity.

Considering Alloran was Visser Three's host for nearly 30 years, it doesn't seem like he was ever in that much danger of that.

...And also, why would another yeerk be any more of a threat to him than Visser Three was? His body would have never been in danger.

Offline powertrash

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2010, 10:00:07 PM »
Maybe it's a possibility, but that doesn't mean they would have been given the opportunity.

Considering Alloran was Visser Three's host for nearly 30 years, it doesn't seem like he was ever in that much danger of that.

...And also, why would another yeerk be any more of a threat to him than Visser Three was? His body would have never been in danger.

Eh, there might have been random attempted body-coups that we never knew about; I would assume V3 had to go togreat lengths to protect his host. From what we know of yeerk culture, it seems very likely.

When I am discussing Alloran's body, I am talking about him being infested by another yeerk, not a physical danger at all.

When aquiring the cube, V3 would have to be helped to it by another yeerk--yeerks are blind and have little other senses in their natural state. It would make him extremely vulnerable & he wouldn't, imho, be willing to take that risk.
[G.K. Chesterton]

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Most Ladylike-Robot-superhero-weak ankled Chippendale-loose cannon teleporter-1/64 ninja-not British comedian-also not Steph-Kit in spirit-Sharing member for life-cuddlestorm-bricklayer-necromancer-Hot Dog Day enthusiast!
  • Social Staff
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2010, 05:49:35 PM »
I really think the Visser could have figured out a way to get himself in contact with the cube if he'd wanted to. He may be a cliche villain by the time the series started, but he's not a complete idiot. I'm sure that's not what was stopping him.

Marie and Abby are my wonderful RAFsisters ^_^
Salem's Story

Offline Gumby

• Reginald, Lord of The Abyss.
  • Xtreme Member
  • Back to where it all began
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2010, 06:18:20 PM »
He'd have to demorph every two hours to a useless body, while demorphing to an andalite still allows some good defence.
"Now I can't speak for everyone; at least not until 'The Device' is completed."

- Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw

Offline Green armadillo ette

• If at first you don't  succeed, redefine success.
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2010, 08:16:25 PM »
I'm thinkin' that Visser Three was a) to arrogant to think of a post war plan (you have to admit, near the end things were looking pretty bad), thus, no need for morphing power, b) he was too paranoid to get it, or c) why have the power to morph and have, like no good morphs and worry about being trampled, when you have a 24/7 weapon at your finger tips?
Last night, I laid back in my bed staring up at the stars, and I thought to myself ... I probably should fix that hole in my roof.

Offline weathervane

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2010, 01:15:47 AM »
Green Armadillo has the simplest answer -- no good morphs. Alloran's body already has all the killer, exotic beasties. No way Visser 3 is going to start over. Plus, it'd be a major pain to acquire new morphs in his Yeerk body.

Offline goom

• the underling of underlings
  • Administrator
  • no other distinguishing characteristics.
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2010, 01:21:50 AM »
Well how could a slug get ahold of a deadly animal? It was difficult enough for the Animorphs. It is more likely that the hosts got the power not the slug. Maybe the yeerks got the morphing abilities and absorbed their hosts DNA, but that's about as much as their gonna get.

a fellow controller could always hold the yeerk against an animal. but most of them probably got it in human form.

anyways, you're completely right. visser 3 gets all the good morphs.