Author Topic: Limit N00bs from viewing Life & General Boards?  (Read 10790 times)

Offline Kelly

• Gold Donor
Re: Limit N00bs from viewing Life & General Boards?
« Reply #75 on: February 02, 2009, 12:39:24 AM »
Oh I missed out on voting :(

I would've voted no anyway...it's not a nice feeling to know you're shut out of somewhere until a certain point in time.
"I always considered myself a loner. I mean, not like a poor-me, Byron-esque, I-should-have-broughta-swimming-buddy loner. I mean the sort of person who doesn’t feel too upset about the prospect of a weekend spent seeing no one, and reading good books on the couch. It wasn’t like I was a people hater or anything. I enjoyed activities and the company of friends. But they were a side dish. I always thought I would also be happy without them."

- Harry Dresden/Jim Butcher, Ghost Story.

Offline Toc'

• Xtreme Member
  • One of RAF's French residents
« Reply #76 on: February 02, 2009, 01:25:17 AM »

I would've voted no anyway...it's not a nice feeling to know you're shut out of somewhere until a certain point in time.

Would have they known it?
Pink Piggy: Anyway, these are standard assumptions in economics. I have no problem with them. Quantum theory also seems weird but it is accepted, that is the way of science.
Brown Piggy: Quantum theory makes no claim about the motivations or welfare of quantum particles.
Pink Piggy: You just do not understand the mathematics involved. This is typical uninformed criticism of economics.

¤  Sharing a special bond of RAFenmity with Wildweathel since December '08 ¤

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #77 on: February 02, 2009, 01:39:34 AM »

no, if they would, it'd just encourage spamming...

Offline SuperBlue

• God
« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2009, 06:25:43 PM »

then we dont tell them about the "Vet board" until they've earned the right to use it
Richard is really Anna in disguise!

Thread of the Year(simsRAF) and Fan Fiction of the Year(RAFamorphs)[2011] Funniest Member[2012]
Quote from: 12:34:05 AM (horsefan1023)
  Glaflafock
I'm Sealie's Wonder Twin. Jess, Cody, and Demos' brother. And Estrid and Nate's father/great grandfather(time machine, don't ask)

Offline Kelly

• Gold Donor
« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2009, 07:43:45 PM »
Nah..I like it better how it is! Glad it hasn't changed.
"I always considered myself a loner. I mean, not like a poor-me, Byron-esque, I-should-have-broughta-swimming-buddy loner. I mean the sort of person who doesn’t feel too upset about the prospect of a weekend spent seeing no one, and reading good books on the couch. It wasn’t like I was a people hater or anything. I enjoyed activities and the company of friends. But they were a side dish. I always thought I would also be happy without them."

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2009, 08:10:58 PM »

then we dont tell them about the "Vet board" until they've earned the right to use it
the reason we don't have a vet board, is because there's no point in having one...

Offline Shock

• Xtreme Member
  • Attitudes are contagious. Mine might kill you.
« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2009, 08:40:25 PM »

the reason we don't have a vet board, is because there's no point in having one...

SHHHSH!?!?!

they don't know that  ;)
Cannibals are seriously messed up
[17:05:27] Reiyn: Shock's tact and diplomacy is unparalleled.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information. For in his heart, he dreams himself your master
Quote from: K.A. Applegate
So sorry to get you into writing. What a horrible thing to inflict on you. Should have just sold you crack.

Offline goom

• the underling of underlings
  • Administrator
  • no other distinguishing characteristics.
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2009, 11:27:19 PM »
wait, they don't know about the xtreme-only board?
i thought it was in the rules.. somewhere.. ::)

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
  • Your friendly neighbourhood plural system
« Reply #83 on: February 04, 2009, 07:17:05 AM »
Ermn... sorry to be a party-pooper... but since it's already decided, don't you suppose maybe we ought to lock the topic?

Eh. 'Snot up to me, of course.  ;)

G'day!
The universe is, instant by instant, re-created anew. There is, in truth, no Past, only a memory of the Past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. The only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.

-GNU Terry Pratchet, The Thief of Time

Offline Slushie Man

• Just a passing-through Nerd
  • Gold Donor
    • The B-Movie Shelf
« Reply #84 on: February 04, 2009, 11:10:17 AM »
Even though voting is closed, I very strongly vote no. I never stick with most message forums cause of how ****tily newbies are treated, but I stuck with this one because newbs were treated with kindness and as EQUALS. It's a message forum, not a friggin' popularity contest. Why shouldn't newbs be equal? Sure, some MAY cause problems, but deal with those individuals, not newbs as a whole. I stuck around because of how much of an equal I felt like when I first joined, and not once did I feel, as a newb, like people were looking down on me or treating me different because of one or two bad apples in the past.

If that changes, I'm gone. Even though I'm not a newb anymore, I refuse to support a site that treats others like that.

P.S. I don't know where all this venom is suddenly coming from regarding newbies, but its quite pathetic and sickening if you ask me, and the exact opposite of why I joined this board.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 11:21:58 AM by Slushie Ranger »

Offline Richard

• Founder
  • Administrator
    • Richard's Animorphs Forum
« Reply #85 on: February 04, 2009, 11:16:12 AM »
Nicely said... +1

Offline Liz

• Gold Donor
    • Facebook
« Reply #86 on: February 04, 2009, 02:48:45 PM »
P.S. I don't know where all this venom is suddenly coming from regarding newbies, but its quite pathetic and sickening if you ask me, and the exact opposite of why I joined this board.

Where have you seen this reaction?  I'm genuinely curious; I haven't seen it in this thread or anywhere else.

As I see it, the reason people were voting "yes" is because they thought it would be beneficial for new members to become active in the Animorphs thread first.  Although I voted "no," I don't see how that's treating them badly.

Offline goom

• Administrator
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #87 on: February 04, 2009, 05:20:07 PM »

Where have you seen this reaction?  I'm genuinely curious; I haven't seen it in this thread or anywhere else.

As I see it, the reason people were voting "yes" is because they thought it would be beneficial for new members to become active in the Animorphs thread first.  Although I voted "no," I don't see how that's treating them badly.

agreed. no harm to the newbies.

Offline Kelly

• Gold Donor
« Reply #88 on: February 04, 2009, 05:37:10 PM »
Well...how would you feel if you just found out that there's a secret part of the forum that's only open to people who've been here for 2 or more years for example, and you were shut out?

Offline goom

• Administrator
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #89 on: February 04, 2009, 05:47:37 PM »
i already know that there is one.
i was overjoyed in my other forum when i was permitted access to the mod board.
it's a similar concept..