Author Topic: Limit N00bs from viewing Life & General Boards?  (Read 10776 times)

Offline goom

• the underling of underlings
  • Administrator
  • no other distinguishing characteristics.
    • Twitch.TV Streams
Re: Limit N00bs from viewing Life & General Boards?
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2009, 11:50:02 PM »
Love reading all your opinions.

thanks. if you were going to do this, what would the post count limit be?
10, 50?

and we definitely shouldn't make a big announcement about this (which would encourage spamming), this should just 'appear' when a user reaches that number of posts.

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2009, 12:01:52 AM »
wait is this gonna effect everyone or just the new ppl? Cuz the life and general boards r my favorite ones
don't worry about it. even if we do set a limit for everyone, you already have over 1000 posts, which is definitely gonna be higher than any limit we set...

Offline goom

• Administrator
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2009, 12:05:07 AM »
haha yeah.
maybe karma could play into effect as well?
(like maybe -10 and under can't view it regardless of their post count?)

Offline Coal Kropotkin

• The anarchist formerly known as Prince
  • Gold Donor
  • Howdy!
    • Mastodon
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2009, 12:47:07 AM »
Love reading all your opinions.

i always figured you did :P

RAFEngaged to Ash! <3
Kat's Awesome!

Updated phone: 423 401 8527

RAFJOP at your service!

Offline Richard

• Founder
  • Administrator
    • Richard's Animorphs Forum
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2009, 09:06:34 AM »
thanks. if you were going to do this, what would the post count limit be?
I was thinking around ten. And yea. I got the suggestion about not making an announcement about the requirement.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 09:08:20 AM by Richard »

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
  • Your friendly neighbourhood plural system
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2009, 12:00:21 PM »
I'm against it being karma-based, simply because someone with enough inferiority issues could spam someone's karma for hours, just to keep them outta' the boards. Then, if that person wanted to FIX this, they'd either have to start a ridiculous number of topics (look who's talking  ::)) or else post in such a way that other people bring their karma up for them.
If you can't access a board to post, how do you do that?
Not everyone CARES about karma, but it can mean a lot to some people. *shrug*

On another note, I was talking to a friend-who-will-not-be-named last night, and she noted that lately the boards have been getting kinda' clique-ish, with the high-ranking members being especially snarky to the newbies.
If we WERE to have that hypothetical Gods-only board... it would only increase any existing snark and exclusivity....

It's kinda' like a blue-chip-stock company. The more shares you hold, the more influence you hold, and eventually you forget that the little guys have a say in the matter, too.
I love socializing with the newbies, but I'll admit that I get kinda' snarky, too, just because I forget not to push them as far as I might push Tyler or Duff, for instance. Things that veteran/god RAFians take in stride, things that we find FUNNY... well, sometimes it offends the Hell outta' the n00bs, and sometimes it scares 'em away a little bit.

I think I know what my next RAFblog article is gonna' be. Yep. :P

*end of rant~

EDIT: My vote remains 'yes' for the last reason I stated, but for another reason, now, too:
Before the newbies enter the Gen. and Life boards and REALLY get smacked in the face by full frontal snark and the emphatic opinions of the overwhelmingly-well-supported RAFpantheon, they can have some time to get acclimated to the environment on topics like Animorphs, which they already know well enough that they can hold their own in a discussion. Instead of plunging headfirst into the busiest and craziest parts of RAF, they can... test the waters... so to speak. Then, if they feel like staying, they will have had time to realise that we ARE crazy, and the snark won't be such a shock.

After all, if you were utterly new to this forum, would you want to get into an awesomeness argument with Esplin or Tyler on your first day? Would you want to hold a lengthy and mind-warping discussion with me? Would you want to accidentally offend Anna, Blue, Goom, Ken, or Skye, while the other four are watching? Would you want to mistakenly think that Morfowt is joking, and then learn the hard way that he ISN'T? Conversely, would you want to mistakenly take Duff-humour seriously, then learn the hard way that he didn't mean a word of it, after you've already made an arse of yourself? Would you want to get on my/Phoenix's/Richard's "bad side" by doing all-of-the-above?

Think about how much that would have to SUCK!!!
We've all seen it happen at one point or another, sometimes all to the same person. It rarely ends well for the poor loons that cross us. Why don't we make it a bit easier for them to work their way into our society?

*end of rant # 2~
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 12:10:55 PM by Estelore »
The universe is, instant by instant, re-created anew. There is, in truth, no Past, only a memory of the Past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. The only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.

-GNU Terry Pratchet, The Thief of Time

Offline demos666

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Satan is dad, hell is my home.
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2009, 12:05:12 PM »
i agree with what was just said
My Theme song is The Number Of The Beast-Iron Maiden
Save a fire, Burn a tree
I put the laughter in manslaughter
“I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter.” - Winston Churchill
"Vidi, Vici, Veni." - Julius Caesar
"Hope is the first step to disappointment" - Librarian, Blood Ravens

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2009, 12:10:46 PM »
but people now have to have a reason to applaud/smite someone, so they'd have to come up with a reasonable reason each time, kinda risky and troublesome don't you think?

I don't know about being snarky, but I have noticed I'm quite a bit less social around new or less active members...

Offline SuperBlue

• God
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2009, 04:06:19 PM »
I'm against it being karma-based, simply because someone with enough inferiority issues could spam someone's karma for hours, just to keep them outta' the boards. Then, if that person wanted to FIX this, they'd either have to start a ridiculous number of topics (look who's talking  ::)) or else post in such a way that other people bring their karma up for them.
If you can't access a board to post, how do you do that?
Not everyone CARES about karma, but it can mean a lot to some people. *shrug*

On another note, I was talking to a friend-who-will-not-be-named last night, and she noted that lately the boards have been getting kinda' clique-ish, with the high-ranking members being especially snarky to the newbies.
If we WERE to have that hypothetical Gods-only board... it would only increase any existing snark and exclusivity....

It's kinda' like a blue-chip-stock company. The more shares you hold, the more influence you hold, and eventually you forget that the little guys have a say in the matter, too.
I love socializing with the newbies, but I'll admit that I get kinda' snarky, too, just because I forget not to push them as far as I might push Tyler or Duff, for instance. Things that veteran/god RAFians take in stride, things that we find FUNNY... well, sometimes it offends the Hell outta' the n00bs, and sometimes it scares 'em away a little bit.

I think I know what my next RAFblog article is gonna' be. Yep. :P

*end of rant~

EDIT: My vote remains 'yes' for the last reason I stated, but for another reason, now, too:
Before the newbies enter the Gen. and Life boards and REALLY get smacked in the face by full frontal snark and the emphatic opinions of the overwhelmingly-well-supported RAFpantheon, they can have some time to get acclimated to the environment on topics like Animorphs, which they already know well enough that they can hold their own in a discussion. Instead of plunging headfirst into the busiest and craziest parts of RAF, they can... test the waters... so to speak. Then, if they feel like staying, they will have had time to realise that we ARE crazy, and the snark won't be such a shock.

After all, if you were utterly new to this forum, would you want to get into an awesomeness argument with Esplin or Tyler on your first day? Would you want to hold a lengthy and mind-warping discussion with me? Would you want to accidentally offend Anna, Blue, Goom, Ken, or Skye, while the other four are watching? Would you want to mistakenly think that Morfowt is joking, and then learn the hard way that he ISN'T? Conversely, would you want to mistakenly take Duff-humour seriously, then learn the hard way that he didn't mean a word of it, after you've already made an arse of yourself? Would you want to get on my/Phoenix's/Richard's "bad side" by doing all-of-the-above?

Think about how much that would have to SUCK!!!
We've all seen it happen at one point or another, sometimes all to the same person. It rarely ends well for the poor loons that cross us. Why don't we make it a bit easier for them to work their way into our society?

*end of rant # 2~

Wow, este u r truly amazing. That was the best rant I've ever heard LOL
Richard is really Anna in disguise!

Thread of the Year(simsRAF) and Fan Fiction of the Year(RAFamorphs)[2011] Funniest Member[2012]
Quote from: 12:34:05 AM (horsefan1023)
  Glaflafock
I'm Sealie's Wonder Twin. Jess, Cody, and Demos' brother. And Estrid and Nate's father/great grandfather(time machine, don't ask)

Offline adamjared

• RAF Ancient
  • Gold Donor
  • .: One of the few remaining RAF Elders :.
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2009, 04:22:36 PM »
i voted, but i'm not going to disclose what my choice was

Offline Liz

• Gold Donor
    • Facebook
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2009, 04:39:30 PM »
Good point, Estelore!  Hmm.  I don't know if I'll change my vote though.  I think the best thing for newbs to do is lurk in the General/Life boards for a while before posting there.  That way they will get a feel for RAF and get to know the members a little bit, while avoiding getting into trouble because they post without really knowing what people's reactions are gonna be.

And then maybe there will be those who join because they liked what they saw on the General/Life boards.  I know with this there's the danger of RAF becoming RGF as some have mentioned though.

Offline goom

• Administrator
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2009, 04:47:39 PM »
but people now have to have a reason to applaud/smite someone, so they'd have to come up with a reasonable reason each time, kinda risky and troublesome don't you think?

i agree with that.
i've only got smited like once or twice since that new rule was instated, versus 10 times beforehand.

if somebody was smiting somebody for a non-genuine reason, they'd get in trouble.
still, karma-based is just a suggestion.

and also, no god board please. that'd just encourage even more spamming.

Offline Richard

• Founder
  • Administrator
    • Richard's Animorphs Forum
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2009, 05:41:55 PM »

and also, no god board please.
Agreed.

Offline SuperBlue

• God
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2009, 07:09:55 PM »

and also, no god board please.
Agreed.

aw man I liked the idea of a board for RAFveterans
Richard is really Anna in disguise!

Thread of the Year(simsRAF) and Fan Fiction of the Year(RAFamorphs)[2011] Funniest Member[2012]
Quote from: 12:34:05 AM (horsefan1023)
  Glaflafock
I'm Sealie's Wonder Twin. Jess, Cody, and Demos' brother. And Estrid and Nate's father/great grandfather(time machine, don't ask)

Offline Venom

• Xtreme Member
  • We are Venom
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2009, 10:27:13 PM »
i say no, its really not a huge deal, but maybe make it so guests cant (unless they already cant)
RAFDating Marie. Jealous?

And then Buffy staked Edward. The End

Basically I put everyone who looks like a good guy in Gryffindor and everyone who looks like a bad guy in Slytherin. The rest can go wherever the hell they want, I don't care.