Author Topic: ebooks gone  (Read 17126 times)

Offline goom

• the underling of underlings
  • Administrator
  • no other distinguishing characteristics.
    • Twitch.TV Streams
ebooks gone
« on: September 15, 2009, 09:34:25 PM »
For what seems ilke forever, including this morning, I was able to get to a page that lets me click on a book cover and download the book.  Now i cannot get to the books at all...every link I click just takes me back to the forum pages....help?!?

the blog posts:

Yesterday, I removed the RAF eBooks page of RAF which hosted the Animorphs eBooks and halted the eBook Project started over three (3) years ago. This comes on the heels of a very stern letter sent from a lawyer of Scholastic, the publishers of the Animorphs series.

Though Animorphs has long not been published, RAF, they claim, is infringing on their trademark of "Animorphs", and by having the "unauthorized" Animorphs eBooks online, "creates a likelihood of confusion as to the source of origin of the goods and services you provide and is likely to deceive and confuse customers into believing that (you) are owned or endorsed by Scholastic..."

I have therefore removed the eBoooks, and added a note on the website saying we are not affiliated with Scholastic, and replied to this letter in an attempt to remedy the situation.

What is for certain though, is that we will no longer provide eBooks for the Animorphs series or any Scholastic publication. What we will still continue to provide is a great Animorphs community for the few that still enjoy the series.

As per Scholastic's demands, RAF can no longer sanction the distribution of Scholastic eBooks, nor the implied distribution through other means. We hope that our members will abide by our decisions and will honor Scholastic and RAF's request that the eBooks remain defunct.

this thread was created September 21, 2010, 04:16:38 PM
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 01:24:04 AM by goom »

Offline goom

• the underling of underlings
  • Administrator
  • no other distinguishing characteristics.
    • Twitch.TV Streams
Re: ebooks gone
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 07:23:40 PM »
placeholder.

[spoiler]
For what seems ilke forever, including this morning, I was able to get to a page that lets me click on a book cover and download the book.  Now i cannot get to the books at all...every link I click just takes me back to the forum pages....help?!?

the blog posts:

Yesterday, I removed the RAF eBooks page of RAF which hosted the Animorphs eBooks and halted the eBook Project started over three (3) years ago. This comes on the heels of a very stern letter sent from a lawyer of Scholastic, the publishers of the Animorphs series.

Though Animorphs has long not been published, RAF, they claim, is infringing on their trademark of "Animorphs", and by having the "unauthorized" Animorphs eBooks online, "creates a likelihood of confusion as to the source of origin of the goods and services you provide and is likely to deceive and confuse customers into believing that (you) are owned or endorsed by Scholastic..."

I have therefore removed the eBoooks, and added a note on the website saying we are not affiliated with Scholastic, and replied to this letter in an attempt to remedy the situation.

What is for certain though, is that we will no longer provide eBooks for the Animorphs series or any Scholastic publication. What we will still continue to provide is a great Animorphs community for the few that still enjoy the series.

As per Scholastic's demands, RAF can no longer sanction the distribution of Scholastic eBooks, nor the implied distribution through other means. We hope that our members will abide by our decisions and will honor Scholastic and RAF's request that the eBooks remain defunct.
[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 01:22:40 AM by goom »

Offline NodakAnimorph

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 04:16:38 PM »
For what seems ilke forever, including this morning, I was able to get to a page that lets me click on a book cover and download the book.  Now i cannot get to the books at all...every link I click just takes me back to the forum pages....help?!?

Offline adamjared

• RAF Ancient
  • Gold Donor
  • .: One of the few remaining RAF Elders :.
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 05:52:48 PM »
Hello Nodak, and welcome to the forum.

I do believe the reason why you cannot access the eBooks, is due to the fact that Scholastic is re-releasing the books.

Judging by a tweet sent by Richard via @RAFforum, here, Scholastic has sent him an email asking him to take them down. I'm pretty sure it's safe to say that all of the books will no longer be accessible via RAF anymore. Best bet is to look for a .torrent or something.

The upside of a reprint brings downsides as well.... :(

Offline adamjared

• RAF Ancient
  • Gold Donor
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 05:54:50 PM »
Just wondering/starting a discussion about the removal of the eBooks, what do people think?

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 06:01:38 PM »
There would be a reprint if it weren't for places like us.  ::)
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline znell

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 06:20:01 PM »
Is this due to a copyright thing or is the website down?

Offline LisaCharly

• HotPinkCoffee
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 07:16:18 PM »
The eBooks are gone? :(

Offline leonmelnicoff

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 07:51:35 PM »
Yeah, wtf? Where did they go?

Offline Stephquiem

• #1 Poster 8)
  • Gold Donor
  • ^ Hugh. Not House, dagnabit.
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 07:54:20 PM »
Scholastic made Richard take them down.

http://twitter.com/RAFforum

Offline patric

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 08:10:29 PM »
Lame!

but i guess it makes sense... with them doing the whole Ani 2.0 thing, it seems unlikely that they would let them keep going.
"And for years I believed
That what went unsaid between us became empty,
And pure, like starlight, & that it persisted.

I got it all wrong.
I wound up believing in words the way a scientist
Believes in carbon, after death. " --Excerpt from Winter Stars by Larry Levis

Offline A ghost you know

• Jr. Xtreme Member
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 08:26:03 PM »
Wow, that really stinks. I can see Scholastic's POV, but I couldn't agree with it less, especially since the e-books will probably turn up again, perhaps in less-reputable places than RAF. They haven't really fixed anything, and it's likely their move will cause users some issues.

Way to go, Scholastic.  :dull:
RAFdating Horsefan1023 (Seal)! :D

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 08:26:27 PM »
Kind of bad timing, as there's a girl by the username of ModernZelda at a Zelda forum that asked me if I read any good books lately. I told her about Animorphs, and that RAF had ebooks, and she said she'd take a look. Now they're gone, but hopefully ModernZelda will buy the rereleases.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline adamjared

• RAF Ancient
  • Gold Donor
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 08:39:21 PM »
And now the eBooks forum in the RAFprojects section is gone? Are the Everworld and Remnants eBooks being taken down as well? It would be nice for us to know sorta whats going on... but maybe Richard is preparing a blog post... we'll see.

Offline Vickie1

• DA
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 08:42:40 PM »
Wait...the ebooks are gone?

-entire body shatters-

Oh god...now I have no reference for my fic and there's no Animorphs books in any of the libraries or second hand shops here in Singapore...

-sulks in a corner-
My imagination can be both infinite and insane