Author Topic: ebooks gone  (Read 17188 times)

warren_bearclaw

Re: ebooks gone
« Reply #255 on: November 30, 2010, 02:50:06 AM »
Also any used bookstore will typically have a large collection of 'em. That's where I found all mine.... Half-Price Books!

Offline goom

• the underling of underlings
  • Administrator
  • no other distinguishing characteristics.
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #256 on: November 30, 2010, 03:01:29 AM »
It's too bad the ebooks are gone. Even though I have them all there is no way to gain new readers now that there is no form of the books for free or for sale since they are out of print.

well, what about the re-release? that's kinda the reason they got taken down in the first place.

Offline t0bias

• vote for toby '09
« Reply #257 on: December 01, 2010, 09:32:00 PM »
well you seee the rereleases don't look as good as the originals to tell you the truth...
never give up, never surrender,

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
  • RAF's Official Unofficial Canadian Ambassador
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
« Reply #258 on: December 07, 2010, 03:03:47 PM »
     I still have trouble trying to wrap my head around why Scholastic would stop printing the series in the first place.
Tony's pet Goose.
Unknown User is my shorm.
:raftrophy:
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)
The picture is rather accurate

Offline LisaCharly

• HotPinkCoffee
« Reply #259 on: December 07, 2010, 05:21:01 PM »
Economics. All the copies they were going to sell of the last half of the series probably were sold in the first few months of their release. I imagine the older copies were selling fairly low by a little after the end anyway.

Offline wildweathel

• Werret of Portland
  • Gold Donor
« Reply #260 on: December 08, 2010, 12:12:39 PM »
The economics have changed: thanks to digital typeset and paperback printers, "out-of-print" could now just mean "special order."  And by "special order," I mean "wait 15 minutes for the machine out back to finish whipping up your book."

Or, put them in the supply chain.  Eight of these machines, costing about a million dollars, replace a lot of warehouse, especially because it means your entire back catalog is never out of print. 

But, a lot of publishers don't do this.  My conspiracy theory runs like this:

Publishers put up a lot of money to bring a book to print: editing, initial print run, marketing, maybe an advance.  (Yeah...)  They then add in a percentage for their profit, call it a loan, and take the royalties until that loan is paid off.

That means books go through three stages:  1) they earn back the publisher's investment, 2) profit goes to the publisher, 3) the publisher splits royalties with the author.  Finally, if the book is very old, it's in a fourth stage: anyone can print it or download it from Gutenberg/Google Books/etc., the market is competitive and the publisher thus only makes normal profits.

A lot of books peter out in stage 1.  This is a risk of doing business, and is (hopefully) made up by profits on successful books.  Stage 2 is pure gravy.  But, them damn classics hanging out in stage 3 are just clogging up the market.

Do you think the publishers are going to be wild for something that lets books live forever?  That's why we still have "out of print."
Kony 2012
arrest the worst

Sharing a special bond of RAFenmity with Tocade since Dec '08.

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
  • RAF's Official Unofficial Canadian Ambassador
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
« Reply #261 on: December 08, 2010, 06:55:51 PM »
     Well, saves me the trip to Amazon and all of that internet mumbo jumbo. Call me old-fashioned, but I prefer going to a bookstore and taking the thing home with me, to the whole "Looks what's in my mailbox!" Approach.

I don't know. I'm ignorant when it comes to economics and politics.
Tony's pet Goose.
Unknown User is my shorm.
:raftrophy:
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)
The picture is rather accurate

Offline t0bias

• vote for toby '09
« Reply #262 on: December 09, 2010, 05:46:55 PM »
^complete ditto^
never give up, never surrender,

Offline Explodoboy

« Reply #263 on: March 05, 2011, 09:28:16 AM »
I've got all the books on .pdf if you want 'em.

Offline goom

• the underling of underlings
  • Administrator
  • no other distinguishing characteristics.
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #264 on: March 05, 2011, 02:20:04 PM »
you're not to distribute them on RAF.

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #265 on: March 06, 2011, 02:50:05 PM »
Goom is right, you can't distribute the ebooks via RAF anymore, as it will get us into trouble with Scholastic.
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline theburningone

• Banned
« Reply #266 on: March 08, 2011, 11:10:37 AM »
I gotta say I disagree with the idea of having free ebooks here in the first place cause I don't agree with piracy. You really pay for something you want. Worse than that in this case at the very least you should support the things you love, and giving them out to everyone for free goes way against that notion. I know that there is a big difference between piracy and theft, but I at least expect people to support the things they love.

I'm rambling at this point so I'm gonna go ahead and quit there. It's just irritating is all.

Offline Stephquiem

• #1 Poster 8)
  • Gold Donor
  • ^ Hugh. Not House, dagnabit.
    • Facebook
« Reply #267 on: March 08, 2011, 12:29:37 PM »
It should be noted that the authors, and Scholastic for that matter, don't make money off of books that are out of print. That copy of #1 you buy used off Amazon? The seller sees the money, they don't.

So, no. While they were out of print, it really didn't make a difference. Buying them used didn't support anyone but the people selling the used copies. Obviously, it's different with them being reprinted, but they were going to be taken down then anyway.

Offline Yarin

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Per scientia totus est ostendo sum
« Reply #268 on: April 16, 2011, 10:59:06 AM »
there's always animorphs the radio drama unsensored
Live in peace and let your enemies be, but fiercely protect the ones you love. The Nyac Credo.

"Take me to jail please a Klingon is after me" Cave Guy Freakazoid  Freak-A-Panel.

"The fiction will see the real. The answer will question still."  Coheed and Cambria The Willing Well I: Fuel For The Feeding End 

The Pentagon has no contract with aliens or with afterlife entities... That I'm aware of... At this time