Author Topic: Memoirs of a RAFian  (Read 591400 times)

redtailedsaffa

Re: Memoirs of a RAFian
« Reply #2940 on: January 06, 2014, 12:07:06 AM »
There's quite a bit of comic relief in this book. Or have I spoken too soon?

Offline Underseen

• One of RAFs resident ShapeShifters
  • Xtreme Member
  • Feisty Generation Fifteen
« Reply #2941 on: January 06, 2014, 06:13:22 AM »
What were the veil based on? The whole idea of the creatures is familiar to something else.
RAF awards 2012: Best Newcomer... It feels good too

Well, Blue is my RAFcousin.
 Blaze is my RAFbrother and formidable rival.

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
  • 188 of 1,657 "Memoirs" books completed
« Reply #2942 on: January 06, 2014, 07:37:36 AM »
I didn't create the Veils. They're a Doctor Who creature. Unless you mean Androvex and Gynecovyx specifically? I guess I based them off an old married couple, which wasn't my intention when I initially planned out the book. They were "Monster of the Day" sort of deal in characterization. But this characterization is better, I think.

And, as for the comic relief, it's better to have some coming out of a book like the last one, right, Saffa?

I'm really pushing my luck posting this chapter with the length of time I have left before work, so it'll probably be short.

CHAPTER SEVEN:
Aquilai Angst

Meanwhile, back at RAF, Aquilai and Yarin is monitoring the events. Aquilai had the scanner hidden on his person, but it did not detect the energy signatures of the two Veils yet. Aquilai knew that he would have to wait to find them. And he would find them. Find them and exact his vengeance upon them. They would know they made a grievous error coming to Earth.

Then he heard what the Czarnian was after. And saw that it took the time like six seconds to subdue him.

"They should let him have the Veils," Aquilai muttered savagely. The RAFians were bringing the Czarnian to the forum, as their clean-up team went and began fixing up the property damage. Aquilai watched as Bolo was broight in, encased in a small iceberg -- courtesy of Az.

Then, suddenly, his scanner lit up as it detected the energy from the Veils -- only his was more sophisticated, as it was able to detect the type of energy, whether they were possessing or dispossessing victims.

"I have business elsewhere," he said, quietly, excusing himself from Yarin.

"Look, I'm sorry, Androvex," Gynecovyx said, now wearing a burly, hairy, fat, redhead man whose clothing was not very flattering of his body style as his ample belly stuck out prominently from his stained white tank top. "But I couldn't couldn't handle this guy beating my last body."

"It's okay," Androvex said, ditching his housewife body. "The Czarnian has been caught by the local authorities. We're off the hook."

Gynecovyx quickly abandoned the man's body, describing it as disgusting. But then she realized something. "But, Androvex, what about the Time Lord?"

Androvex looked shocked. "I forgtten about him!"

"We have to find new disguises, don't we?"

Androvex smiled, and said, "Eventually, but I have an idea how to get him off our tails."

"But we don't have tails."

"It's a figure of speech!"
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 11:14:53 AM by CloakedFigure »

Book 189: "Shenecron's Pets"
Chapter 4: "First Attempt"
(January 7, 2020)

RAFians Referenced Specifically: Demos.

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #2943 on: January 06, 2014, 12:48:32 PM »
I'm guessing Classic Who, because I don't quite recall them in an episode of New Who - of which I've watched everything. Or that might just be my memory acting up again. :P

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #2944 on: January 06, 2014, 09:16:45 PM »
Maybe "The Sarah Jane Adventures" or whatever.

Anyway, I finished planning the chapters of Book CCXXV. It is unofficially the longest book of this series -- at 48 chapters, unless I decide to combine some chapters when it comes time to write them. I can say that it will star Saffa, Abby, Underseen and myself.

I'll post another chapter shortly.

(January 7, 2020)

Offline Underseen

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #2945 on: January 06, 2014, 09:42:35 PM »
Dr. Who had lots of spin offs, I can't imagine you writing a Memoirs spin off because you spend most your time on the original series.

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #2946 on: January 06, 2014, 09:54:07 PM »
Eh, the out-of-continuity books are kind of one-shot spinoffs in a way.

Oh, and in twelve more days, "Memoirs" turns two. Two years old.

I know I said that I would post another chapter, but I'm just too tired and don't have sufficient energy to do it. Sorry, but you'll hafta wait until I get some shuteye.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 10:52:13 PM by CloakedFigure »

(January 7, 2020)

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #2947 on: January 06, 2014, 10:49:45 PM »
Two years well spent. :)

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #2948 on: January 06, 2014, 10:55:59 PM »
And I just realized "Memoirs" won the Fanfic of the Year award every year since its inception (2014 doesn't count yet).

Sorry again 'bout the lack of a new chapter.

(January 7, 2020)

Offline theyoungphoenix

• still abby
  • Xtreme Member
  • "I'm honestly a huge dork."
    • My Book
« Reply #2949 on: January 07, 2014, 02:15:44 AM »
Anyway, I finished planning the chapters of Book CCXXV. It is unofficially the longest book of this series -- at 48 chapters, unless I decide to combine some chapters when it comes time to write them. I can say that it will star Saffa, Abby, Underseen and myself.
Holy crap! Fourty-eight chapters?? That's awesome!! ^_^
My Tumblr
Saffa is my shorm and RAFtwin. :D Lumy is my awesomeful RAFbrother. ;D
:raftrophy:
Best Newcomer 2013
Best RAFian Supervillan/Minion Duo 2013 (Saffa/Abby :D Morph Twins)
RAFian Artist of the Year 2016

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #2950 on: January 07, 2014, 09:25:17 AM »
It's still 170 or so books away.

CHAPTER EIGHT:
Hopalong and Powwow

Aquilai had returned his tread to make sure he had all he needed. He was going to find those Veils. He didn't care where they may be hiding. He would make them pay.

"Going somewhere?"

Aquilai jumped, and spun as he saw Cloak standing at his thread's door, leaning nonchalantly on the door jam. His arms folded, but wearing a knowing look.

"Yes."

"You know where?"

It cost Aquilai something to admit it, "Not really, no."

"Going on a directionless journey is pointless," Cloak said, infuriatingly benign. Then his tone changed to a more serious one. "It won't help, you know."

"What are you talking about?" Aquilai said, snappishly.

"You know very well to what I refer," Cloak said. "It will not bring whoever you lost back. It will not make you feel better."

Cloak stopped leaning on the door jam, and stood upright now.

"Hatred is a fire that destroys all that it touches. The Hate Plague clearly demonstrates that." he said. "Don't dwell on the past, Aquilai, learn from it."

"Don't stop me," Aquilai said. It was an idle threat, as he knew Cloak could very easy restrain him if he had the inclination.

"I'm not going to," Cloak said as the two walked to the main plaza of the forum. Bolo was set up there as if some perverse fountain statuary, without the fountain and water. Horse and Az had been taking it in turns to refreeze the Czarnian. "You need resolution, closure, for this. I just hope you don't do something you'll later come to regret."

There was an explosion and smoke was furling from the bounty hunter's tracking device. Aquilai shook his head at the primitiveness of the device. His was still operational, but saw that it, despite its higher sophistication, it was being heavily taxed. Aquilai knew what the Veils were doing, attempting a smokecreen for his scanner. Clearly, they were deliberately trying to activate his scanner by hopping from body to body rapidly to cause an irregular reading or an error, as Cloak felt an irritating series of pokes.

It wasn't going to work.

(January 7, 2020)

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #2951 on: January 08, 2014, 10:29:47 PM »
Okay, new book ideas.

• Book CCXXXII: "Clay Achin'" -- The RAFians must deal with a puppeteer who has magic voodoo clay.
  • Book CCXXXIII: "Unmitigated Havoc" -- A man with a hologram-enabled suit runs amok and wrecks havoc.

CHAPTER NINE:
The Last and the Furious

"Aquilai, I won't stop you, but I hope you listen to this. Let your anger out, but don't do anything that you'll later regret."

"What do you know about killing?" Aquilai said harshly.

"You know I killed Cataclysm. Another Realm Walker, granted one that other Walkers already believed to be dead." Cloak said, quietly. "It's not as easy as those who haven't taken a life believe."

It was clear that decision still haunted Cloak somewhat. Aquilai's haughtiness dissipated somewhat, but he left without another word and Cloak watched him go, hoping he wouldn't come to regret this decision. He was so distracted by this, he didn't notice that Yarin and Goom were confiscating the Czarnian's bike and dragging it right in front of the frozen bounty hunter.

What really snapped Cloak back to the present was what the two were debating. They were planning on disassembling and dissecting the bike. If there was one thing Cloak knew was a bad idea was talking about taking apart the bike in front of its owner.

"Stop talking about th--" Cloak began, but his warning came to late. Bolo shattered the ice encasing him, furious that they would dare to touch his sweet ride. He took it, beating the two away from it and tore out of the forum.

"What in the name of the First Light," Cloak said, exasperately, "made you think it was a good idea to try to dismantle his bike right in front of him?"

"How many more?" Gynecovyx said, wearing the body of a three-year-old boy.

"Just one more flesh change should do the trick." Androvex said, wearing the body of a crotchety octogenarian. Two orphan kids slunk by, picking pockets out of necessity rather than greed. "And they'll do nicely."

Within ten minutes, Androvex was wearing Mary Susan and Gynecovyx was wearing Gary Stuart. Androvex stood up straighter, haughtier. "That should do it."

Gynecovyx looked very uncomfortable, and said, "Actually, Mary, I think just one more change is in order."

They switched hosts so that Androvex wore Gary and Gynecovyx wore Mary.

"Satisfied now?" Androvex asked.

"Yeah," Gynecovyx said.

"Well, get comfortable. We're not leaving this flesh until we're safely away."
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 09:03:49 AM by CloakedFigure »

(January 7, 2020)

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #2952 on: January 08, 2014, 10:55:01 PM »
You could use this for reference in later books where Saffa has a considerable part - she has taken a life before, as illustrated in my fic. It was an instinctive decision which left her scarred afterwards (on the inside, that is. She's still able to keep a straight face and the sass - but you know how it goes).

Offline Underseen

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #2953 on: January 09, 2014, 02:16:53 AM »
Mary an Gary Stu. Good job on that one.

Offline theyoungphoenix

• still abby
  • Xtreme Member
  • "I'm honestly a huge dork."
    • My Book
« Reply #2954 on: January 09, 2014, 07:51:18 AM »
Yeah. What Underseen said. ^_^
My Tumblr
Saffa is my shorm and RAFtwin. :D Lumy is my awesomeful RAFbrother. ;D
:raftrophy:
Best Newcomer 2013
Best RAFian Supervillan/Minion Duo 2013 (Saffa/Abby :D Morph Twins)
RAFian Artist of the Year 2016