Author Topic: Memoirs of a RAFian  (Read 591425 times)

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
  • 188 of 1,657 "Memoirs" books completed
Re: Memoirs of a RAFian
« Reply #780 on: August 13, 2012, 08:06:06 PM »
Somehow, I knew you or Gaz would, AniDragon. ;D  Sometimes quotes from Beast Wars just stick in my head.

Book 189: "Shenecron's Pets"
Chapter 4: "First Attempt"
(January 7, 2020)

RAFians Referenced Specifically: Demos.

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #781 on: August 13, 2012, 08:35:40 PM »
Hey, cool, I'm in the story!  :D  Interesting chapter, by the way, I liked the dendrosapients (that name sounds familiar, did you allude to them in a previous chapter?).

As far as my phobia of anger goes, fear of my own emotions wasn't actually what I was talking about.  I very seldom get anywhere near being angry.  I get frustrated, sure, but I can't even recall a time that I've ever been truly angry.  The thing that scares me is other people getting angry at me.  Which is why I thought I'd have been so utterly useless while any of this was going on.  People get angry and I tend to go 'meep' and hide in a corner.  :-X

Never mind me, I'm just thinking out loud.  Please ignore me and carry on.  I like your story too much to tell you how to write it, I'm just randomly providing unasked-for information that probably isn't relevant anymore anyway, lol.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 09:28:15 PM by DinosaurNothlit »

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #782 on: August 14, 2012, 08:32:14 AM »
I wouldn't call it "irrelevant", Dino.  *rubs chin*  I could come in handy for future books. . . .

And I don't think I alluded to them, Dino.  Originally, I just called them "Dendrosapiens", I just added the "T" which changed the meaning somewhat.

Just if anyone's interested --

"Dendro" = "tree"

"Sapient" = "an organism that can act with judgement"

(January 7, 2020)

Offline Underseen

• One of RAFs resident ShapeShifters
  • Xtreme Member
  • Feisty Generation Fifteen
« Reply #783 on: August 14, 2012, 08:35:35 AM »
I love the words I learn by reading this... I will probably forget them in a month though.
RAF awards 2012: Best Newcomer... It feels good too

Well, Blue is my RAFcousin.
 Blaze is my RAFbrother and formidable rival.

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #784 on: August 14, 2012, 08:39:25 AM »
Right.

CHAPTER EIGHT:
Not Your Average Aquilan Form

The ride was smoother, but the problem of not knowing the source of the hate waves was paramount.  But they did know the general direction in which to look.  That was something.  Cloak sat back down, crossed his legs, balled his fists and pointed them at each other again.  Then he shut his eyes again to calm his mind, to focus it.

"Cloak, should you really be doing that right now?" Aquilai asked.

"Probably not," came Cloak's sardonic reply.

"Are we there yet?" Sam asked.

"Don't start that joke," Blaze input, "please."

Then a horrible, terrible screech was heard.  Cloak was the only one that didn't flinch.  Noelle suspected that he was asleep.

"Wha . . . what was that?!" Underseen exclaimed.

"Don't look at me, I don't know." Aquilai said.

"Guys, there's an entry in it on your species databases. . . ." Gaz said.  "Apparently it's the, uh, 'aquilan form' of somethings called 'demirevenants'."

"Great," AniDragon said, "does it say anyway to beat it?"

"Something called a Unity Pulse," Gaz said.  "But I have no idea what that means --"

"It's a concussive beam of energy projected through the Mark," Cloak said unexpectedly, tone flat.  "It can only be used when the users have a sufficient sense of unity."

"You knew about this?" Parker demanded.

"Richard's idea, actually."

"Well, the ship is having a hard time maneuvering to fight this thing," Yarin announced.  "Fliers, your assistance would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!"

"Fine, just open the door, then." Faerie said, pulling her axe from hammerspace.

Yarin did -- only it just so happened that was the side of the hull that Cloak was mediating on.  So, he fell out of the ship when it opened with an alarmed scream.  Then he managed to project an air sphere around himself that allowed him to "fly".

"THAT WAS NOT FUNNY!" he snarled.

"I dunno," Faerie said, floating, in a dignified way, out of the ship, "looked pretty funny to me."

Cloak gave Faerie an ugly glare.

"Enough with the comedy, let's go!" Parker said, leaping out of the ship.  Then, while somersaulting, activated his Hawk Ride Armor, and blasted up beside Faerie and Cloak.  Then the Lanterns activated their rings and flew out.  Gaz went all batty and flew out, not really sure of her scope to harm the huge beast in this form.  Blaze, somewhat reluctantly, flew out, too.  Noelle, Aila, Aquilai, Underseen, and, of course, Yarin, would have to remain on the ship.

Then they went into battle, Aquilai holding fast to the entrance of the door, somehow managing the suction, and managing to bend lighting at the bird.  But no matter how many strikes it took, it would not go down.

"Geez, it's like the Simpsons," Cloak muttered, "no matter how many strikes it takes, it doesn't go down!"

"Uh, something really strange is goin' on here. . . ." Helen said.  But she wasn't looking at the bird, but her hand.  It was glowing so brightly that you couldn't make out the individual digits on the hand.  Cloak looked around, and noticed that everyone's hand, including his own, was doing that.

"It is time!" he shouted.  "Point your hand at the beast, and focus all your energy, all your will, all your heart at destroying the evil beasts!"

They did as he instructed.  A blue beam projected from their Marks at a remarkable speed and power.  It missed initially, but after two more tries it struck the bird.  It screamed and dissolved into angry wisps which eventually dissipated of their own accord.  It was gone.

The RAFians quickly boarded Yarin's ship, because the use of such a powerful beam, much like Hyper Beam of the Pokemon universe, left them feeling sluggish and drained.  Yarin was the only one that seemed to resist these aftereffects enough to land the ship.  Then, like the rest, collapse into slumber.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 11:32:04 AM by CloakedFigure »

(January 7, 2020)

Offline Underseen

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #785 on: August 14, 2012, 10:53:21 AM »
Where did you get Aquilan from? Sounds like something I have heard in a movie before...

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #786 on: August 14, 2012, 10:54:37 AM »
"Aquila" = "eagle"

Then I just tacked on the "n".

Perhaps you were thinking of Arquilian? I think it's spelled that way.  They're tiny aliens from "Men in Black".

(January 7, 2020)

Offline Underseen

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #787 on: August 14, 2012, 11:14:26 AM »
Yeah! That was what I was thinking. Also the Aquilan from Riddick.

Offline Blazing Angel

• God
  • Back to the original.
« Reply #788 on: August 14, 2012, 11:27:58 AM »
"While the other flight capable RAFians leaped to battle the beast, Blaze sat in the corner, forgotten, eating ice cream."
I am a Blazing Angel. Master of deviant traps and authentic barbecue. Brothers to Rukh the banner maker, Squall the Lionhearted and Underseen the generally sort of okay.

Offline Underseen

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #789 on: August 14, 2012, 11:28:54 AM »
I was going to say the same thing, but I wanted you to point it out.

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #790 on: August 14, 2012, 11:30:17 AM »
"While the other flight capable RAFians leaped to battle the beast, Blaze sat in the corner, forgotten, eating ice cream."

The problem with that is Yarin doesn't have ice cream on his ship.

Anyway, I fixed that omission.  I thought I had included you, Blaze -- it was an oversight, I'm sorry.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 11:32:49 AM by CloakedFigure »

(January 7, 2020)

Offline Blazing Angel

• God
  • Back to the original.
« Reply #791 on: August 14, 2012, 11:36:45 AM »
1) The problem with that is Yarin doesn't have ice cream on his ship.

2) Anyway, I fixed that omission.  I thought I had included you, Blaze -- it was an oversight, I'm sorry.

1) Why ever not?

2) It's no problem, just a simple oversight.
I am a Blazing Angel. Master of deviant traps and authentic barbecue. Brothers to Rukh the banner maker, Squall the Lionhearted and Underseen the generally sort of okay.

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #792 on: August 14, 2012, 11:43:06 AM »
The interior of his ship, I imagine, is basically just like a starship version of the X-Men's Blackbird.

Oh, and here's the line up (tentative titles):

• Book XVI: Who's Who?
  • Book XVII: The Last RAFian -- another possible future book, if that's not too revealing
  • Book XVIII: Hostages Wild
  • Book XIX: The Clone Wars
  • Book XX: The Darwin Gun
  • Book XXI: Other Side of the Tracks
  • Book XXII: Pits of Terror
  • Book XXIII: RAF Comix -- which I don't understand why RAF comic books don't already exist.
  • Book XXIV: The First Master -- this is the book where no RAFians make a major appearance, I only make a marginal appearance at the beginning and end . . . think Tobias and the Hork-Bajir Chronicles.
  • Book XXV: RAF -- The Musical
  • Book XXVI: Outage Outrage
  • Book XXVII: Infinity and Eternity
  • Book XXVIII: The Virus Rings
  • Book XXIX: Soul-Suckers
  • Book XXX: Mayhem of the Music Miser
  • Book XXXI: The Metal-Maker
  • Book XXXII: Richard is Missing -- Phoenix will take a major role here, I think.
  • Book XXXIII: Emotional Food
  • Book XXXIV: Transformation Confrontation
  • Book XXXV: Richard's Horn
  • Book XXXVI: Feral Scream -- another Beast Wars reference.
  • Book XXXVII: Predators and Prey -- the book that Blaze gave me the idea for. . . .
  • Book XXXVIII: A Protean Problem
  • Book XXXIX: The Horsemen
  • Book XL: Sizeable Pain in the Necks
  • Book XLI: RAF's Nightmare
  • Book XLII: Unlucky Charms
  • Book XLIII: The Piper
  • Book XLIV: The Wishing Star
  • Book XLV: A War of Armor* -- Parker'll stand out in this book. . . .
  • Book XLVI: The Worst Plague*
  • Book XLVII: Little Alien Napoleons*
  • Book XLVIII: Go Away!*
  • Book XLIX: RAFian Tales* -- this one will be kind of different from a regular book.
  • Book L: Maul*
  • Book LI: Erised Orbs*
  • Book LII: RAFians Alive!* -- another book that takes place in a slightly different continuity.
  • Book LIII: The Pain Reliever* -- thank you Nostalgia Critic for this idea (like he comes to this forum ::))
  • Book LIV: Beyond the Veils* -- hopefully this'll delve a bit into Aquilai and Aila's pasts
  • Book LV: Dangerous Deals*
  • Book LVI: Of One Mind*
  • Book LVII: The End of Time*
  • Book LVIII: Hematomimic*
  • Book LIX: Sins of Youth* -- Richard, Esty and I are gonna have our hands full. . . .
  • Book LX: The Replacements* -- What will Aquilai and I do when the rest of the forum's attending some intergalactic treaty signing? . . . Okay, I'll think of a more clever plot.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know it's a lot and the (*) denotes books I have yet to do chapter-by-chapter planning on.  But it's either this or seeping into depression.  Naturally, the former is preferable.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 02:19:05 PM by CloakedFigure »

(January 7, 2020)

Offline Underseen

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #793 on: August 14, 2012, 05:36:11 PM »
OH MY LAWD! You planned 60 books, that is more than 80 chapters (don't feel like doing math)! I thought that chapter XXX would be called "50 shades of RAF" (if you know what I mean XD). All dirty jokes aside, this is one of the best and might become the longest running Fanfic (RAFfic?) on RAF.

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #794 on: August 14, 2012, 06:23:51 PM »
Probably gonna be a minimum of 100 chapters, Unseen.  I like including a minimum of twenty chapters per book.

And believe me, as long as I can, I'll keep postin' 'em.

CHAPTER NINE:
The Tenebrarevenants

When everyone was gathered, veteran and yearlings mostly, Goom stood in front of them.  His mark glowing slightly on his forehead, as he hadn't any arms or hands for the Mark to be etched.  Dino's Mark too was on her head because she had rather less substantial forearms.

"I've asked you together tonight for the simple expedient of telling you about the Unity Pulse," he said, pacing nervously.  He waited for the smattering of murmuring to die down before continuing.  "As you know, Cloak and I made the Marks a long time ago, before the Technarchy invaded."

More murmuring broke out.  It was one of those events not forgotten lightly.

"You know the Mark is supposed to protect the bearers from possession, mind control --"

"Then why could Gaz turn us into vampires?" a newbie shouted.

"The Mark has its limitations," Goom said.  "Gaz bore the Mark before the Madre de Vampyra, or whatever her name was, turned her to the dark side."

"Dark side?  What is this? Star Wars?" Horse muttered.  Goom heard her, however, and glared at her for a moment.

"Anyway," Goom continued, "there is another function to the Marks."

Pure silence.

"That is the offensive capability known as the Unity Pulse." Goom said.  "Richard's idea."

"You make it sound as if it was a bad one," Richard commented affably with a chuckle.

"Anyway, the Unity Pulse cannot be used when alone, which is good, because after use it leaves the user completely drained of energy."

"Isn't that kind of a gaping flaw?" Blue asked.

"I didn't say it was perfect," Goom countered.  Addressing everyone, he continued, "it requires sufficient unity in order to function.  When such unity exists -- in theory, mind you, we haven't done any testing -- the Mark will glow brightly, and you must focus with all your will, with all your heart, with all of your mind, with all of your energy and then aim your blast at your foe.  But it isn't to be taken lightly, because, once again, it will leave you with your energy drained.  There may be a way to circumvent this limitation, but we, as of this time, do not know what or how to do so."

CRASH!

The sound of a whirling hurricane seemed to be coming from behind the group.  It was a swirling mass of vaguely humanoid shadows, there were about thirty or so of them, floating and undulating above RAF.  They were faceless except for the hellish glow of their abnormally large red eyes.  They did not speak -- perhaps they couldn't or hadn't sufficient enough intellect to be capable of speech.

"Uh, what are those things?" Rad asked.

A slight buzzing noised, and the database stated:

"Tenebrarevenant(s). (teh-neh-brah-rev-en-ant/s) Shadow creatures of myth.  They appear to be living shadow in humanoid form with overlarge, glowing red eyes, said to stand anywhere between five to eight feet tall.  These high-level minions of Phaetos cannot speak unless they inhabit the form of animate or inanimate object.  They have no known powers other than possession, and, as such, aren't much of a threat outside that.  They can command dendrosapients and demirevenants.  The only available option against tenebrarevenants, where they to exist, would be the Unity Pulse."

"Well, they definitely DO exist," Kelly commented.

"Remember what I said about the Unity Pulse!" Goom shouted.  "Everyone, take aim!"

The tenebrarevenants suddenly shot down at them.  The RAFians charged up their Marks . . . and blasted the tenebrarevenants into oblivion.  Then they collapsed from sheer exhaustion.

Meanwhile, it would seem that Bibliophaetos was watching this somehow, as well as the aquilan form and dendrosapients fight.  She smiled inwardly, as she sent Harry off to collect the items she needed to leave these pages forever!  But she didn't tell him that -- he was laboring under the impression that it would make him a better magician.

The time was so close she could taste it. . . .
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 06:51:15 AM by CloakedFigure »

(January 7, 2020)