Author Topic: Flushing Yeerks  (Read 6264 times)

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
  • <Pirate Gloomy bear morph!>
Re: Flushing Yeerks
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2008, 06:19:06 AM »
I agree with Wotw, it's a kind of error, I think... If I were a Yeerk, I'd make it very very very securised!! I'd be so afraid to be in a pool and that somebody push this stupid button ^_^'
..."in a perpetual state of Celtic gloom"
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
Student Evil Demo 1.0 (explicit dialogs, 12+)
My Forum

Offline wotw2112

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2008, 01:34:35 PM »
maybe the nutrients in the pool that the yeerks absorb were low.

Good point.

I agree with Wotw, it's a kind of error, I think... If I were a Yeerk, I'd make it very very very securised!! I'd be so afraid to be in a pool and that somebody push this stupid button ^_^'

Also a good point.  So even if the pool sludge needed to be changed on occasion I still think having an emptying function like that is a bad idea...

Then again there are bad ideas all over the place...so maybe it's not so surprising.  Perhaps the Yeerks have the poolship built by a government contractor...
"Well, that idea might make a stupid idea feel better about itself."
"His goat killed you?"
"I love you shovel."
"Your conscience calls you on the telephone?"

Offline Myitt

• Mangiatore dei gatti -- RAFcapella
  • Gold Donor
  • Don't you mean extinct...?
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2008, 04:10:15 PM »
Here's another thing, did they ever need to change the underground Yeerk pool's water?  Maybe on the Yeerk homeworld the pools were constantly refilled by rain and absorbed by the soil or something...but maybe on the ships there would be a maintenance reason to drain the pool? 

Yeah I'd be definitely paranoid to live in something that could just dump me into space at any moment, without me knowing, totally blind and helpless. 

"Screw drugs.  Smoke RAF." - Ash

Offline XenomorphLV426

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2008, 07:02:27 PM »
Why was Visser Three so incompetent in virtually everything?  Why were the Yeerks idiotic in every fight scene in the series ever?

Stormtrooper Syndrome, man.  The Yeerks could easily be flushed because it suits the story.  The Yeerks suck because they have to, in order for the good guys to win.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 08:15:04 PM by XenomorphLV426 »

Offline wotw2112

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2008, 07:05:56 PM »
Why was Visser 3 so incompetent in virtually everything?  Why were the Yeerks idiotic in every fight scene in the series ever?

Stormtrooper Syndrome, man.  The Yeerks could easily be flushed because it suits the story.  The Yeerks suck because they have to, in order for the good guys to win.

You know what?  That's a great point.  The Yeerks really never did anything right so I suppose it would have been more surprising if that had changed.  Still disappointing but consistent at least...  Good answer.
"His goat killed you?"
"I love you shovel."

Offline XenomorphLV426

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2008, 08:09:58 PM »
I mean, really though, Visser Three throughout 99% of the series (excluding Hork-Bajir Chronicles and arguably Andalite Chronicles to an extent) was a bumbling mustache-twirling caricature.  If he were actually DANGEROUS, to the extent that he believably should be (with that rank, and all the crazy war experience he's had), Jake and the Scooby Gang would have been crushed by about book 3.

I mean, look at Esplin in H-B Chronicles.  He's a ruthless interesting ambitious winner.  By book #1 he's like that four-armed robot general guy in the last Star Wars movie.  "Ha-HAH!  I'll kill you alllll, lowly scum!  Bwahaha!"

All I'm saying is the Yeerk Pool flushing isn't really worth complaining about.  It's just the same as how a naive farm-kid in Star Wars can beat 5 elite military deathsquad guys in a shootout.  Dumb, but necessary for the plot.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 08:14:45 PM by XenomorphLV426 »

Offline wotw2112

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2008, 08:15:43 PM »
Dumb, but necessary for the plot.

Yeah but that's exactly what makes it so frustrating.  At least in star wars they give an excuse (the force).  Here it's just the evil guys being incapable of being competent.  Is it too much to ask for bad guys that aren't completely stupid?
"His goat killed you?"
"I love you shovel."

Offline Starsword

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2008, 08:42:11 PM »
Maybe they changed their pool water in orbit and thus did not have a "Prevent Yeerk Swirlie" button. The way jets refuel in air.
Until then we fight.

Offline XenomorphLV426

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2008, 06:19:59 PM »
Dumb, but necessary for the plot.

Yeah but that's exactly what makes it so frustrating.  At least in star wars they give an excuse (the force).  Here it's just the evil guys being incapable of being competent.  Is it too much to ask for bad guys that aren't completely stupid?

Star Wars doesn't give an excuse.  Untrained hillbilly farmboy in shootout with sci-fi version of Nazi SS elites.  Wins.  They all obviously miss.  That's not a Force thing, that's just given in a PG summer action movie, it's more production necessity than story.

Same deal with the 'Morphs: they needed to win, so they did.

Offline Gaz

• RAF's Resident Coffee Addicted Pirate
  • God
  • Forsooth!
    • Rachel Recaps
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2008, 01:03:39 AM »
For the Yeerks it would appear to be one of those unlikely scenarios that you never really plan for. Like someone else said: they're pretty arrogant so they never expect someone to actually get past defenses and get far enough where they would be able to flush a ton of Yeerks down the tube. It's like it's not impossible, but in their minds it's highly improbable.

But I also agree that the Yeerks could have, and probably should have, had a bit more security around the pool. I mean, these Yeerks were probably vital to the invasion. More Yeerks = more loyal minions.

And at the same time, it's the classic villain stereotype. There's always the one blatantly obvious thing that they never plan for. Though it could be one of those things that's obvious to us since we're like outside observers. But it's not entirely obvious to them. They do have other things on their minds. Such as keeping their whole operation a secret and making sure they don't anger their overlords. I know I often forget about obvious things when worrying about something else then kick myself later for it.

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2008, 01:28:04 AM »
I forget plenty of obvious options whenever I leave something at school.

Offline wotw2112

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2008, 09:34:12 AM »
But they're at war with Andalites!  A race arguably more advanced than they are!  You would think that would warrant some concern.  It's not exactly unlikely that an andalite could bypass their security and work their systems

And there is almost always someone who catches the little things.
"His goat killed you?"
"I love you shovel."

Offline XenomorphLV426

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2008, 08:11:16 PM »
But they're at war with Andalites!  A race arguably more advanced than they are!  You would think that would warrant some concern.  It's not exactly unlikely that an andalite could bypass their security and work their systems

Except that it IS pretty unlikely, as demonstrated clearly in the final arc of the series when the Pool Ship lands.  They take reasonable precautions with this kind of thing.

I seem to get the feeling an Andalite task force would more likely just burn the Pool Ship to individual atoms, rather than seize it, take prisoners, and flush the Yeerks, anyway.  Much more their style to just waste the thing, then make some glorious speech and strike a pose while shouting a religious ritual to the skies.

Offline wotw2112

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2008, 09:21:07 PM »
Except that it IS pretty unlikely, as demonstrated clearly in the final arc of the series when the Pool Ship lands.  They take reasonable precautions with this kind of thing.

I seem to get the feeling an Andalite task force would more likely just burn the Pool Ship to individual atoms, rather than seize it, take prisoners, and flush the Yeerks, anyway.  Much more their style to just waste the thing, then make some glorious speech and strike a pose while shouting a religious ritual to the skies.

Yes, but you forget that they've been fighting what they had believed to be "Andalite Bandits" for quite some time.  And Andalite bandits wouldn't have the power to simply blow the thing up so an internal attack/sabotage is exactly what they should have been expecting.
"His goat killed you?"
"I love you shovel."

Offline elelohesterling

• See... I'm an ugly pretty boy :D
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2008, 12:37:45 AM »
I mean, really though, Visser Three throughout 99% of the series (excluding Hork-Bajir Chronicles and arguably Andalite Chronicles to an extent) was a bumbling mustache-twirling caricature.  If he were actually DANGEROUS, to the extent that he believably should be (with that rank, and all the crazy war experience he's had), Jake and the Scooby Gang would have been crushed by about book 3.

I mean, look at Esplin in H-B Chronicles.  He's a ruthless interesting ambitious winner.  By book #1 he's like that four-armed robot general guy in the last Star Wars movie.  "Ha-HAH!  I'll kill you alllll, lowly scum!  Bwahaha!"

All I'm saying is the Yeerk Pool flushing isn't really worth complaining about.  It's just the same as how a naive farm-kid in Star Wars can beat 5 elite military deathsquad guys in a shootout.  Dumb, but necessary for the plot.

I have to point out something that could change it. Complacency. THroughout time, the higher a person goes up the corporate ladder, or the more success they earn, they feel they deserve more, and when you finnaly are done climbing, your like... Ok I made it. Thats that... now I can relax.

Maybe Visser Three is just so confident in his abilities he forgets it takes work to go much higher.
WOOT!

Terenia is RAFdating a ugly pretty boy :D