Author Topic: Did you like the ending? *SPOILERS!!*  (Read 7669 times)

Offline Andalite_Shorm

• deviantART
Did you like the ending? *SPOILERS!!*
« on: September 06, 2011, 02:57:01 PM »
SPOILER FOR LAST BOOK!![spoiler]Did you like the ending of The Beginning? I don't know, I mean, it was ok, for me... Just seemed to all rush up suddenly. I certainly liked the Rachel dying twist, but as for what happened to the cube...:/ it's debatable...[/spoiler] So, what did you think?

Offline Blazing Angel

• God
  • Back to the original.
Re: Did you like the ending? *SPOILERS!!*
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 07:08:53 PM »
I loved eveything in the series. Except the ending. What really ticked me off was the letter that she wrote at the end, promoting her next series. And a cliff hanger is only tends to only work if theirs a chance of things going either way. To me, they would have died no matter what due to what happens when your in space, while wearing nothing but street clothes. Unless the ellimist straight up threw away the rules of the game and rescued them, they were dead.
I am a Blazing Angel. Master of deviant traps and authentic barbecue. Brothers to Rukh the banner maker, Squall the Lionhearted and Underseen the generally sort of okay.

Offline Snakie

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 08:51:03 PM »
I was fine with it.

Of course, I only read the ending after restarting the entire series years after originally being a huge fan.  So even when I read the final book, I was enjoying the series from a nostalgic perspective.

Of course I want to know what happened to them and what "The One" was, but overall I was satisfied enough that the Yeerks were defeated, even if it wasn't all rosy for the Animorphs afterwards.

The humiliation of Visser One was pretty nice.  I preferred it to a death for him.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 09:36:47 PM »
I didn't. I've explained why multiple times. I did read someone post that KA was a bad writer because of the ending if memory serves. I disagree with that. I think she's good when she's interested in a series. I think it's clear by the end that she had lost interest, and the series suffered for it.

Obviously the series in general has problems here and there, even if you only look at the KA written books. She's not the greatest writer ever, but she's quite good. Great even. I just didn't like the ending. Not when I first read it, and not now.

Ani-Master 2014!

NateSean

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 10:56:53 AM »
I had no problem with it.

1: It went out the way it came in.

2: KA handed us an entire concept to play with in our fanfiction universes. Entire tomes have been written about the Kelbird war, etc. KA has done nothing but server her readers since day one and that ending was just that. It was open ended so that we, the fans, could continue the series' spirit.

esplin

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 01:34:01 PM »
I didn't. I've explained why multiple times. I did read someone post that KA was a bad writer because of the ending if memory serves. I disagree with that. I think she's good when she's interested in a series. I think it's clear by the end that she had lost interest, and the series suffered for it.

Obviously the series in general has problems here and there, even if you only look at the KA written books. She's not the greatest writer ever, but she's quite good. Great even. I just didn't like the ending. Not when I first read it, and not now.

I saw some posts on this very forum where the Animorphs writing team admitted to being busy with other stuff while Animorphs was going on.  They forgot what they even wrote about and never thought of the things we did.  They seemed surprised people still cared about the series at all.

Are those the words of people who are interested in this?

Offline SkyMorpher

• Fly high, seek peace, God bless (Formerly Animel23
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 11:38:08 PM »
I wasn't thrilled with it, but if there's a chance to save them, I can live with it in that form. It is true that she at least didn't make it totally definite that they died.

Offline ko ko

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • caffeine fiend
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 01:45:16 AM »
when i was a little kid, i absolutely hated it. i also hadn't read the entire series when i read the ending, so i remember being very confused.

on the other hand, as an adult, having gone and bought the entire series and reread it in full and in order, i love the ending. sure, there are still questions and a few loose ends, but what really needed to be answered was finalized. things happened as they should imho

Offline RAFrukh

• Shapeshifting Pile of Goopness
  • Xtreme Member
  • <No, *I* have the sky!>
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 08:50:46 AM »
I wasn't thrilled with it, but if there's a chance to save them, I can live with it in that form. It is true that she at least didn't make it totally definite that they died.

Agreed.
Shameless Promotion of my Universe
RAFcrushing on Mythgirl's ghost :hug: Rikki-Tikki-Tavi is my RAFbrother

Offline Blazing Angel

• God
  • Back to the original.
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 09:24:36 AM »
The only chance is ellimist and the only things he could do would count as direct interference.They were wearing normal clothes. Even a tiny hole in the ship would cause the normal vacuum effect. Anybody who's finished portal 2 knows what I'm talkin about.
I am a Blazing Angel. Master of deviant traps and authentic barbecue. Brothers to Rukh the banner maker, Squall the Lionhearted and Underseen the generally sort of okay.

Offline jjwolf624

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 07:08:11 PM »
WHY DID RACHEL HAVE TO DIE!! :huh: :huh: :huh:  >:( >:( >:( >:(

Offline AllyVP

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 11:27:37 PM »
The Animorphs series was never a bunnies-and-rainbows-everything-works-out type of story.  And I think that she defended her writing wonderfully in her letter to the fans that didn't like it.  The gist: one war usually leads to another.  Tom was right, wars are never fought with clean hands.  And people die. 

For all of them to get through the whole thing unscathed and come out perfectly well-adjusted human beings was just unrealistic.  How many war vets do you know that are at least partially shattered by what they have gone through?  How many do you know that moved past it with absolutely no baggage? 

Jake was a child when the war began, he was an adult when it ended.  And yet, he had spent so much of what I will call his adult life--his life as a commander--pretending to be the average kid that he didn't know how to deal with peace.  It wasn't like Rachel, to whom the war was like a drug, because he didn't want it.  But he didn't know how to live without it. 

So, yes, I thought the ending was appropriate, fitting, thought-provoking, and bittersweet.  Not happy, of course, but it was a war story after all.  If you expected it to end happily than you should research the wars that have been fought through our own history.  Name one that ended happily.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 10:29:40 AM »
World War 2.

People seem to think there's no gray area between what we have, and happy rainbows and congradulatory handshakes. I wouldn't expect the Anis to come out without issues to work on for the remainder of their lives, but KA did a bad job of portraying Rachel as someone who couldn't manage without the war. Not that any of us expected the whole world to be at peace and there be no crime or fighting forever after either.

We didn't need an ending where most of the Anis are most likely dead. and guess what? A lot of people cling to the hope that Jake and the others lived, becuse having everyone but Cassie die would suck balls.

The series should have stuck with the theme of hope, instead of going with the anvilicious War is Hell. We all know war is generally bad. We don't need it pounded into us like anyone who read the books didn't know it already.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline yunyun

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Dreaming on :P
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 02:20:02 PM »
I think the ending was ok. I didn't hate it but i didn't love it either. I just really disliked how Rachel died and the others go on a suicide mission and leaves Cassie behind
Starfire is my RAFcousin. :D
click?

Thanks Ouroborus! ^_^

Offline Funky Poacher

• beach day Beach Day BEACH DAY
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2011, 08:36:14 PM »
Yes. I liked every bit of it. Though, really, I think more of the main characters should have died. I really don't see the problem people have with the ending.
"Scientists get funky about having their research poached" - Byers