Author Topic: Animorph Character Swap  (Read 3474 times)

NateSean

Animorph Character Swap
« on: March 09, 2011, 09:45:42 AM »
So, here's a fun exercise. Take your favorite non-Animorphs show/book series/fandom/whatever and replace the characters with the Animorphs. For example:

Firefly

Mal = Jake's a no brainer here. Put Jake in the right cirumstances and he's basically Malcom Reynolds with a better grasp on grammar. Of course, he's likely to have been raised in the Alliance given that his parents are a doctor and a writer respectively.

Zoe = Rachel. Nuff said really.

Wash = Naturally, Tobias would be Wash. They both have a natural love of flying, and both of them used flying to get away from their homes.

Jayne - I don't know if Marco would be a natural shoe-in for Jayne or not. Maybe Ax would be the Jayne character, but I don't know. Might not be able to replace that one.

Inara: Though I don't see Cassie being a high end "Companion", she's destined to be Jake's love interest. Of course Inara is also willing to do a lot of things that Cassie winds up whining and protesting, so again, this is a tricky one. Might not be able to replace Inara at all.

Any other ideas?

Offline KitsuneMarie

• On the move
  • Gold Donor
  • Fantastic Ms Fox
Re: Animorph Character Swap
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 12:05:56 PM »
I see Wash and Marco being more closely related than Wash and Tobias; they're both are morale-boosting jokers who stay focused on the mission.

Tobias has personality elements of Wash, certainly -- those that you cited -- but I think he also has some similarities to Simon. They're both wrenched from all they've known and are struggling with an identity crisis.

I'd say Shepherd Book and Cassie are a decent match.

And how about comparing Jayne with David? They're both very concerned with looking out for number one.
Aluminator's RAFsister

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 04:42:43 PM »
Simon could also be replaced by Cassie. I don't really like the Jayne/David comparison though, as deep down Jayne does care about the others and shows signs of genuine remorse.
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
  • RAF's Official Unofficial Canadian Ambassador
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 05:52:58 PM »
     I would attempt a comparison to the first Power Rangers Series [Mighty Morphin] but there is not NEARLY enough personal growth or depth from those characters.
Tony's pet Goose.
Unknown User is my shorm.
:raftrophy:
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)
The picture is rather accurate

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 07:33:17 PM »
[Totally off-topic comment]This is funny because I just saw a few episodes of Firefly the other day.  And have any of you ever read the web-comic Inhuman?  It is nearly a perfect mirror of Firefly, plot and everything.  Wash=Ro Koji, Mal=Solla Flint, Kaylee=Ashido (right down to the bullet wound, OMG), Simon=Soshika, River=Grey.[/Totally off-topic comment]

Anyway, I've heard Animorphs characters compared to characters from K.A.'s other books.  Like, Mo'Steel from Remnants and David from Everworld both have pretty strong parallels to Rachel.  Jobs from Remnants is a lot like Jake in some ways, with maybe a dash of Ax thrown in.  And Christopher from Everworld is pretty much just a racist Marco.

And does anybody else watch Fringe?  Olivia strikes me as the sort of person Rachel might have grown up to be.  Walter is like a crazier version of Ax, almost (he's even obsessed with food, haha).  And Peter is approximately an even cross between Marco and Tobias.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 07:45:01 PM by DinosaurNothlit »

Offline cams

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 08:05:25 PM »
And does anybody else watch Fringe?  Olivia strikes me as the sort of person Rachel might have grown up to be.  Walter is like a crazier version of Ax, almost (he's even obsessed with food, haha).  And Peter is approximately an even cross between Marco and Tobias.
What about Jake and Cassie? I suppose the closest person we got is Broyles and Astrid.

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 08:18:23 PM »
What about Jake and Cassie? I suppose the closest person we got is Broyles and Astrid.

Actually, remember Charlie?  I think he's probably the closest thing Fringe has to a Jake.  Broyles doesn't really seem similar to anybody from Animorphs, to be honest.  I suppose that he could be compared to Jake in that they're both leader figures, but beyond that, they really aren't that similar.

However, I agree that Astrid is a good analog for Cassie.  They both sort of act as the moral compass of the group, although Astrid isn't quite as vocal about it as Cassie.

Oh, and I thought of another one.  The Observers=The Ellimist.

Offline SuperBlue

• God
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 10:39:50 PM »
Animorph/HP character swap

Harry = Jake. Protagnist and unofficial leader

Ginny = Rachel. Ms. Asskicker, not afraid to get down and dirty :P

Ron = Marco (a...much stupider Marco) Leader's best friend. not the smartest of the group but has been known to have moments of brilliance (Ron's just happen to occur less often than Marco's)

Hermione = Cassie. The group's tree-hugger moral compass, and minority(muggle-born) Cries a lot and most people either love or hate her, no in betweens

Nevile/Draco = Tobias. Both have been misunderstood social outcasts (Well..In Draco's case, he chose to be an outcast in book 6 when before, he was quite popular amongst his peers) and both have been pretty unhappy with their lives at some point

Luna = Ax. Need I say more?

Draco = David. Well Draco was never officially a member of Harry's inner circle but he did betray his school and he and David share similar characteristics and tragic situations.

Mrs. Weasley = Rachel's mom. One stood between her children and a full grown bear. The other killed a woman who almost killed her daughter, and did it with style 8)

I'll think of more later
Richard is really Anna in disguise!

Thread of the Year(simsRAF) and Fan Fiction of the Year(RAFamorphs)[2011] Funniest Member[2012]
Quote from: 12:34:05 AM (horsefan1023)
  Glaflafock
I'm Sealie's Wonder Twin. Jess, Cody, and Demos' brother. And Estrid and Nate's father/great grandfather(time machine, don't ask)

Offline QIfry

• A 28 year old that won't grow up. Growing up sucks
    • M.O.R.P.H. - An Animorphs Fancomic Series
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 10:48:45 PM »

Wash = Naturally, Tobias would be Wash. They both have a natural love of flying, and both of them used flying to get away from their homes.

Don't forget that Wash and Tobias love dinosaurs. :3

Offline cams

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 11:46:04 PM »
Actually, remember Charlie?  I think he's probably the closest thing Fringe has to a Jake.  Broyles doesn't really seem similar to anybody from Animorphs, to be honest.  I suppose that he could be compared to Jake in that they're both leader figures, but beyond that, they really aren't that similar.
Yeah, you're right. Charlie is better. I was just looking for a leader, instead of someone with a similar personality. And also Charlie being dead made it harder to think of him instead of Broyles.

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 12:35:59 AM »
P.S. Blue, you didn't mention the single most blatant Animorphs/Harry Potter connection.

Voldemort=Visser Three.

Most of yours are pretty good parallels, I think, but I might have to disagree with Ginny=Rachel.  Harry is probably a cross between Rachel and Jake (as he has more than his share of stupidly reckless moments).  And, IMO, either of the Weasley twins is a better fit for Marco than Ron is, given that one of Marco's defining characteristics is his cleverness.

Sirius Black might also be compared to Tobias, in a lot of ways.  Both ostracized from their families, both having to live in hiding.

NateSean

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 09:14:44 AM »
Don't forget that Wash and Tobias love dinosaurs. :3

Good point.

Tobias: Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal! :p

Offline char486

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 10:40:36 AM »
I love this! Here are my Buffy ideas (if anyone else was into that show??)

Buffy= Jake. Strong, leader, often gets seen as the responsible, slightly uptight one.

Faith= Rachel. Badass, take no prisoners fighter with a serious dark side. Granted, Faith had a bit of a darker side, but I feel like Rachel would have been as dark as Faith if, like Faith, she was a loner, and didnt have any friends or family to answer to.

Willow= Cassie. Sweet, emotional, unsure of her own strengths, but in some ways the strongest of the whole group.

Xander=Marco. Comic relief! But like most comic relief characters, sees through the BS and gets to the truth of situations.

Oz=Tobias. Not a great match, but if you had to pick! Soft spoken, even tempered, seems like a bit of an old soul.

Ax= Giles! The unemotional brains of the group. Often times has conflicted loyalties.

Now I really wanna go watch some Buffy!

NateSean

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2011, 01:24:17 PM »
Mrs. Weasley = Rachel's mom. One stood between her children and a full grown bear. The other killed a woman who almost killed her daughter, and did it with style 8)

Both had a child killed by the enemy. Too bad Rachel's mother didn't get to avenge her the way Mollie avenged Fred. (Or was it George?)

Offline Baranth

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2011, 05:35:58 PM »
I love this! Here are my Buffy ideas (if anyone else was into that show??)

Buffy= Jake. Strong, leader, often gets seen as the responsible, slightly uptight one.

Faith= Rachel. Badass, take no prisoners fighter with a serious dark side. Granted, Faith had a bit of a darker side, but I feel like Rachel would have been as dark as Faith if, like Faith, she was a loner, and didnt have any friends or family to answer to.

Willow= Cassie. Sweet, emotional, unsure of her own strengths, but in some ways the strongest of the whole group.

Xander=Marco. Comic relief! But like most comic relief characters, sees through the BS and gets to the truth of situations.

Oz=Tobias. Not a great match, but if you had to pick! Soft spoken, even tempered, seems like a bit of an old soul.

Ax= Giles! The unemotional brains of the group. Often times has conflicted loyalties.

Now I really wanna go watch some Buffy!

Wrong.

Buffy = Rachel. Fanfiction seems to show this quite well, as most Animorphs/Buffy crossovers have Rachel as a Slayer.

Oz = Cassie. Am I the only one who sees the lupine connection between Oz, Cassie and Remus Lupin from HP?
I may seem like an idiot, but trust me: I know what I'm talking about.