Author Topic: Your Fanfiction Character's Score  (Read 3400 times)

NateSean

Your Fanfiction Character's Score
« on: January 20, 2011, 11:57:52 AM »
http://www.springhole.net/quizzes/marysue.htm

Test your original fanfiction and/or RP character' with the Mary Sue Litmus test and post your score.

Sean of Chronicles of Sean
Score: 19, Probably Not a Mary-Sue, but it could go either way.

Offline Josh (J)

• The Dude
  • God
  • Back from the dead.
    • Josh the Normal
Re: Your Fanfiction Character's Score
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 12:42:53 PM »
I tried out Chad from Our Summer Vacation and--
30+
Fanfiction authors beware - Mary's on the loose. There's still a chance you can save this character with some TLC, though. Role-players and original fiction characters, you should also strongly consider giving your character a workover.

Offline LisaCharly

• HotPinkCoffee
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 01:09:44 PM »
Tried Ga Gut Hum from The Infestation of Ga Gut Hum and got a 4. It seems that this test isn't really made for fat alien telepath froggies. ;)

NateSean

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 01:18:31 PM »
I like this test because it's very broad and can apply to anyone's character. What's really fun is trying it on established characters like Duncan Macleod of Highlander.

Offline Gumby

• Reginald, Lord of The Abyss.
  • Xtreme Member
  • Back to where it all began
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 02:44:13 PM »
A character of mine in progress, An assistant Researcher in the Faction of Xenological Cultures named Macel Fitch, got 31.  Are average joe characters mary sues now?

My second test was not suprisingly 56. It's fun to write about an incredibly dangerous bounty hunter, what can I say?
"Now I can't speak for everyone; at least not until 'The Device' is completed."

- Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw

NateSean

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 02:48:58 PM »
You definitely shouldn't let it discourage you. Like I said, there are plenty of characters from well established fiction that are way above fifty on this test.

Sometimes the average Joe is too good to be true. Sometimes he's just right.

Offline KitsuneMarie

• On the move
  • Gold Donor
  • Fantastic Ms Fox
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 03:14:13 PM »
My most recent character, Illim in the GESB, got a 7.

I've come a long way from my first-ever character (from a novel I wrote in 7th grade), who scored a whopping 75 points. Yeeesh.
Aluminator's RAFsister

NateSean

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 03:19:15 PM »
I've had some gems. I wish I could dig up some of the stories I wrote when I was in seventh grade.

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
  • RAF's Official Unofficial Canadian Ambassador
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 04:36:00 PM »
     Alright, so I did it and, at first, I got a 36. I thought about it and said, "Well...I didn't think David Matherson was a Mary Sue...I made sure to make him as ordinary as possible." I mean, he has powers but it's an ANIMORPHS fanfic [for those interested, David Matherson is the narrator in my fanfic, "These Are the Wars"--my first real fanfic, too], so it's only natural that he gets powers. He's a soldier in a lowly resistance group based in New York and, through circumstance (and betrayal from one the his fellow renegades [too late for a spoiler?]) ends up in the clutches of a Visser in the Yeerk Empire.

Anyways, I wanted to go through the test, to see if I went anywhere wrong, and I noticed that I accidentally checked off the first question--is your character's name based off, or a variation of your own name (or something like thay)  :facepalm:

So, apparently, that added ten points to my score. My name is obviously not David Matherson, so my score is 26, which makes a lot more sense than the first score.
Tony's pet Goose.
Unknown User is my shorm.
:raftrophy:
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)
The picture is rather accurate

Offline Cloudbreaker

• My activity may be at/near 0% but I'm still here.
    • Animorphs: The Revival
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 04:52:33 PM »
     Alright, so I did it and, at first, I got a 36. I thought about it and said, "Well...I didn't think David Matherson was a Mary Sue...I made sure to make him as ordinary as possible." I mean, he has powers but it's an ANIMORPHS fanfic [for those interested, David Matherson is the narrator in my fanfic, "These Are the Wars"--my first real fanfic, too], so it's only natural that he gets powers. He's a soldier in a lowly resistance group based in New York and, through circumstance (and betrayal from one the his fellow renegades [too late for a spoiler?]) ends up in the clutches of a Visser in the Yeerk Empire.

Anyways, I wanted to go through the test, to see if I went anywhere wrong, and I noticed that I accidentally checked off the first question--is your character's name based off, or a variation of your own name (or something like thay)  :facepalm:

So, apparently, that added ten points to my score. My name is obviously not David Matherson, so my score is 26, which makes a lot more sense than the first score.

I did the same thing for a character I have on a different site.  So my 40 was really a 30.  It's still not a great score, but better than it was.  I think I may have answered some questions inaccurately though (or maybe my character really is very Mary Sueish :P ).  At any rate, the test gave me some things to think about, for both my current characters and ones I may create in the future.

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
  • RAF's Official Unofficial Canadian Ambassador
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 05:01:25 PM »
     Well, some of the questions they have on there aren't exactly what I consider to be "Mary-suish", exactly.
Tony's pet Goose.
Unknown User is my shorm.
:raftrophy:
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)
The picture is rather accurate

Offline Baranth

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 05:53:56 PM »
I did the test twice, first for my main female character at her most powerful, then again for how she normally is.

First test was a 47, second was a 21.

Sounds like Sailor Moon, doesn't it?
I may seem like an idiot, but trust me: I know what I'm talking about.

Offline MoppingBear

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2011, 02:47:09 PM »
tropes are not bad though, and while its hard to write a mary sue character well, its not impossible

radgeek

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2011, 07:26:03 PM »
82 for Josefina Woodhouse also from Our Summer Vacation.

Offline Nar Klawip

• Raf's Ever-Lovin' Blue-Eyed Howler
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, 02:39:13 PM »
26 for fanfic character Tempever

Well, he is a Howler raised by Pemalites.

I should finish that story and put it up on here.
"When life gives you lemons you make lemonade. When a dying Andalite Prince gives you the morphing power? Well then you make miracles." ~Me

“Screams of a billion murdered stars give lie to the night's peace, while we cling desperately to the few fragile spinning stones we call worlds." ~Hasturi the Mad Perseid, Andromeda

“Well, remember what you said, because in a day or two, I'll have a witty and blistering retort! You'll be devastated THEN!” ~ Calvin, Calvin and Hobbes