Author Topic: Your Fanfiction Character's Score  (Read 3399 times)

Offline wildweathel

• Werret of Portland
  • Gold Donor
Re: Your Fanfiction Character's Score
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2011, 07:51:48 PM »
Now running the main character from the story I'm writing.  Ordinary, boring dude accidentally runs into magic.  Much angst ensues.  Score: 16, or 13 if I nix the amnesia angle--like hell I would.

Now running Caprice Quevillion, the otherworldly love interest from A Miracle of Science.  Score: 34.  I'd say that's pretty good for a hive-mind super-human with sparkling hair.

Haruhi Suzumiya, from the series of the same name.  The point is that she is a Sue, so she should score plenty high...  Score: 20. 

Is this thing broken? 

Now running Tobias... 45.  If we don't count things excused by the premise (shapeshifting, healing, etc.), that drops to 32

So, yeah,  I take these things with a huge rock of salt (yeah, salt).  Suism is not really a disease caused by the presence of character traits.  Actually, I don't see Suism as one disease, but three:

Setting Suism--The Sue has excessive skills or positive attributes with regards to the setting, or that push the setting beyond what the reader can relate to.  Impact: mild.  Some people really don't like power-fantasy, some don't really mind.  Personally, I think as long as exceptionalness doesn't solve problems when its introduced, it's not a problem.  If it does, it's a case of Golden Suism and Deus Ex Machina.

Golden Suism--The Sue is so much more capable than his adversaries that the plot suffers.  Impact: moderate. Definitely damages the plot--but in my opinion plot is overrated.  It's a plus, a big plus when a story solves a difficult challenge in a satisfying way, but it's not everything or even the most important thing in storytelling.

Narrative Suism--The narrator falls in love with the Sue--and you will, too!  Impact: high.  Disgusting.  In small doses, this can work with a first person narrator if he is in fact smitten with the Sue (who is someone else).  Very small doses.  Otherwise, well, this happens

Quote from: My Immortal, Chapter 6, chosen at random
The next day I woke up in my coffin. I put on a black miniskirt that was all ripped around the end and a matching top with red skulls all over it and high heeled boots that were black. I put on two pairs of skull earrings, and two crosses in my ears. I spray-painted my hair with purple.

In the Great Hall, I ate some Count Chocula cereal with blood instead of milk, and a glass of red blood. Suddenly someone bumped into me. All the blood spilled over my top.

:-X
Kony 2012
arrest the worst

Sharing a special bond of RAFenmity with Tocade since Dec '08.

NateSean

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2011, 07:33:47 AM »
I mean, for the most part I just do it for fun. But like a calculator, this can be a good measuring stick for people who feel like their character isn't working out as well as it could and want a little help fleshing it out.

Offline Horsefan1023 (Seal)

• RAF's Resident Tumbleweed Hater
  • God
  • TO THE BATMOBILE!
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2011, 07:33:41 PM »
I ran Ren from the Camp Half-Blood RPG here on RAF--she's probably my most original character.  Scored an 18, so that makes me happy.  :)
Most Insane Member/RAFian Writer 2010!

Thanks to Bear!
Blue is my WonderTwin, Myth, Blocky, Jess, Kayla, Demos, Tony are my siblings, Shorty is my cousin, Bear is my RAFsupercodetective! (Yeah awesome!)
RAFdating Ghostie! :D
:raftrophy: RAFian Writer and Most Insane Member 2011!

Offline Cobra (Gymn)

• Xtreme Member
  • Defiant! And argumentative!
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2011, 10:23:34 PM »
Gymn got 25.
Rad is my RAFmom!
I love Jesus!

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2011, 07:12:07 AM »
My Animorphs Travels character got 53, which is a little higher than I expected, but not entirely surprising. The character is supposed to be me after all. I seriously need to rewrite part one... :facepalm:

:edit:

A couple of insignificant changes and I'm already down to 44! :)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 07:19:07 AM by Phoenix004 »
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

NateSean

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2011, 01:35:40 PM »
Well Sean is obviously my vanity character as well.

But I think what helps is that he's no more or less limited than the other Animorphs. Even though he knows the Chee and he learned about them sooner, it's not like that knowledge has helped him so far, except for a few minor advantages.

Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with Mike or what you're doing with it. Except for the comments I made in your comments thread, I'm still eager to see where you're going with it.

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2011, 05:51:56 PM »
Thanks Sean, but I'm still planning on editing Ani Travels #1 at some point anyway. I think #2 is alright, but there are parts of #1 that are truly terrible.

I'm very interested in seeing how your character develops. Like you said he doesn't have any real advantage over the other Animorphs and since it appears he won't be interacting with them anytime soon, you avoid almost all potential Mary Sue issues.

Offline MoppingBear

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2011, 10:46:46 AM »
My Animorphs Travels character got 53, which is a little higher than I expected, but not entirely surprising. The character is supposed to be me after all. I seriously need to rewrite part one... :facepalm:

:edit:

A couple of insignificant changes and I'm already down to 44! :)

mine got a 52, i think there is a big bias for insert characters, mines not even based on me, nor is he based on how i would act in the animorphs universe.  there are some questions in there that would bump up all the animorphs, ie "story told mostly from their point of view"

Offline Cloudbreaker

• My activity may be at/near 0% but I'm still here.
    • Animorphs: The Revival
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2011, 04:38:13 PM »
Coincidentally, the writer of one of my favorite webcomics just wrote a very good post about Mary Sues.  Here is the link (scroll up).  I thought the people who participated in this thread would find it especially interesting.

NateSean

150 Years of Mary Sue
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2011, 04:58:23 PM »
This is a link to a well written essay. It turns out the concept of Mary Sue has been around for quite some time.

http://www.merrycoz.org/papers/MARYSUE.HTM

Offline AniDragon

• Gold Donor
  • Train of thought, like broken pencil, has no point
    • My tumblr
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2011, 01:52:46 PM »
Sonia got a 23, which isn't too bad. She used to be a lot worst. (I found myself looking at some of the questions and thinking "Not anymore!") But there are a couple of things that keep killing my score, and they're things that other people probably wouldn't even know, so I might as well not check them off, but I do anyway. (Ex: Sonia is a common enough name. So without me mentioning it, would anyone know that she was originally named after Sonya Blade from Mortal Kombat?)
~AniDragon, aka Riona-chan~

Currently Reading: Winterwode, by J Tullos Hennig
Currently Writing: Demon's Bane
Currently Editing: Elder's Requiem

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2011, 06:53:38 PM »
Really? Awesome! Mortal Kombat was the first time I heard the name Sonya.

Offline Ayla-I-M

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2011, 03:04:44 PM »
Lol I tested my OC when from when she was a Yeerk and When she was an Andalite. She started out Andalite. Her Andalite score is 49!  Her Yeerk score is 18.  :XD: Turns out Andalites are a lot more Mary-Sue than Yeerks. :)
What is the most horrific thing my mind can conjure up? What is so horribly terrifying that it sends me screaming in the opposite direction...Visser three in a fluffy pink bathrobe. EVIL SHOULD NOT BE CUTE DARN IT!

Follow your dreams! Except for that one where you're naked in public. I don't think anybody is ready for that...

NateSean

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2011, 04:27:43 PM »
They definitely rank up there. And I could see a Yeerk getting really high on himself - er, I mean, whatever else beside the male and female genders the Yeerks posess that wouldn't narrow it down to one very particular Yeerk - when it becomes an Andalite.

Offline Blazing Angel

• God
  • Back to the original.
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2011, 07:05:30 PM »
I got a 74 for my character from a hogwarts/animorphs RP

The problem is that their was no realy story for him because that roleplay ended before it could even get started. So basically he had 7 years of magic schooling with nothing significant happening and then gets thrown into free for all.
I am a Blazing Angel. Master of deviant traps and authentic barbecue. Brothers to Rukh the banner maker, Squall the Lionhearted and Underseen the generally sort of okay.