Author Topic: RAF In Real Life  (Read 11333 times)

radgeek

RAF In Real Life
« on: January 03, 2011, 12:42:01 AM »
This is me thinking about what would happen if we became our RAF personas.  I don't fully know where I'm going with this and I'll need to pick some more brains but I think posting the for chapter won't hurt.

Christina sat stiffly-nosed at the bar.  She hoped that her disguise would hold.  Her sneeze was easily identifiable.
“I bet if I were to offer you a drink you won't take it,” a voice said from behind her.
Merlin, she thought with held-back emotions of hate. He would find me.  “What makes ya so sure?”
“You have Christina's cell phone,” he explained.  “Everyone else here has enough money for a 3G phone.  What name are going by tonight?”
Christina scoffed.  “Josefina Woodhouse.”  She had used the name to get past security and into the party with the Cabal, or Merlin's political followers, to listen in on their conversations.
“I have another offer for you,” Merlin said.
Christina groaned.  “You always have an offer that somehow ends with someone being blackmailed.  Yvonne learned that the hard way.  I won't make that mistake.”
“There are no downsides to this deal,” Merlin said in a convincing tone.  “I happen to know your deepest dream.”  He pulled out a blue cube.
Christina laughed at the sight of the morphing cube.  “I'll humor you.  You are offering the biggest spy that know the ability to be come a literal fly on the wall.  No, you must mean to trap me in morph or something.”
“Well, I must have guessed your dream wrong because I have no idea what you are talking about.”
He was as old as the hills with no children so Nina was really not surprised.  “You're right, since you're not even close.  Because if this was my dream all I would have do is touch the box...”  Christina trailed off as she felt a tingle go down my spine as she touched the box.  “You know what, I'm going.  All of your offers have bad endings.”
“Let me help you with your coat,” Merlin offered.
Christina snatched her plain long black coat away.  “Mitts off!”  She knew my cover was blown so she felt free to be myself.  “Whatever you're up to I refuse to be a part of it.”  Christina stormed out and retreated to the dirt and scum of the Subway.
Merlin's lips twisted in to satisfied smile.  “But you are, Christina.”
-----
Stephquiem, also known as Steph, and A Ghost You Know were typing away in the Bored Board in Richard's Animorph Forum.  It was a party so every post counted toward there post count goals.
Ghost > I ban you for having a higher post count then me.
Steph > I ban you because I'm not number one yet.
Bear > I ban you for not reading the Our Summer Vacation thread. (He had just logged on and jumped in to the insanity of the board.)
Ghost > I ban you for posting while I was typing.
Steph > I ban you for not typing faster.
Ghost > I ban you because that it's not my fault.
Bear > I ban you to ask if anyone has seen Rad.
Steph > I ban you because she has not been on for hours and missing good posting time.
Bear > I ban you to thank you.
Ghost > I ban both of you for posting while I was typing.
-----
Merlin gathered his closest cabal members around.  “She will have powers too, but a member of her rank was needed to contract the virus.”  He had yet to get to Hero Member status and couldn't wait.
“Isn't that dangerous?” Easten asked.  “She protects Yvonne with her life.”
“She will lose her creditability when she claims to carry a Tok'ra,” Merlin explained.  “All of you made a few posts to establish your personas?”
His three companions nodded.
“I'll make the post with the cyber version on the virus to her thread,” said Merlin as he pulled out his Blackberry.  “When she views it the the to viruses will transform us.”
------
Josh, or Bear as he was known on RAF, kept posting in the Bored Board but opened another window to look at the Profile Threads.  He knew what Rad called “work” and thought that she might be in danger some nights.
“I'm far more likely to be mugged in the subway,” he could remember her saying.  “They don't want to kill me they just want to make my life so hard that I'll have no choice but to hand it over to them.  I'm perfectly safe.”
Still no post from her, he thought.  Wait! There is a new post in her thread.  He saw that latest virus bearing post.

Yeerks-O-Lot>  My offer to voice Wintium/Laurence for the OSV audio play still stands.  It was nice to see you tonight even if you were in character.

Wow, she must gotten close to blowing her cover, Josh thought before typing his reply.

Bear>  You met Rad.  I'm jealous.  I didn't know you were from her area.
-----
Christina came home and went up the creaky steps to room only to had a coughing fit on the landing.  She ran to her grandma's kitchen to get a spoonful of mustard to get rid of the feeling of having a cotton ball in her throat.  “I hate being sick.”
She uncoiled her braid black hair.  She would wash the temporary dye tomorrow morning.  Of course, the only reason she wanted to do that was so she could log on to RAF before falling asleep.  Her favourite RPGs were the first thing she checked.  She could only type up a response in one before bed and choose Introduction Randomness, where she played herself.  In a way...

Rad >  Rad her lost control of her ship and her body.  Now locked inside her mind by Ma'at, her only way to communicate with the outside world was Gymn.  Don't fight David.  Go back to RAF and tell them that I've been captured by David.  Leave out the whole captured by Ma'at thing out of it for
now.

Ma'at thought about how Rad was right again.

Christina's RAF persona was a mostly willing host to a Goa'uld named Ma'at.  She thought that being a Goa'uld character on an Animorphs forum made her different.
She saw the online light next to Bear's name was lit up.  I might hit another RPG that we are in together, she thought.
Next stop for her was the profile threads.  Oh, new posts in my thread.  She clicked her thread and started to feel a ripping feeling inside her.  She read Yeerks' post before it became unbearable.  Her eyes began to blur and burn.  She ran to the bathroom to remove the the contacts in her eyes.  You had to wear them, she scolded herself.  As soon as her lenses were, out she fell to the floor with the room spinning around her.
<<What is happening?>> a voice inside her head shouted.  A voice that Christina had imaged countless times before.
<<Ma'at?>> she asked back.
-----
Merlin smiled.  He had given the cabal his plan and began to feel the changes over take him.  His eyesight was the first to go.  The sound of the gasps of the cabal was the last thing he heard.  His arms and legs disappeared; in fact, most of what made him different from a slug had disappeared.  He had become a Yeerk.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 01:17:04 AM by KitMayor Steph (Rad) »

Offline Josh (J)

• The Dude
  • God
  • Back from the dead.
    • Josh the Normal
Re: RAF In Real Life
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 10:10:57 AM »
I read it earlier and really enjoyed it. Some detail perhaps on the last section, though. good job, though.

radgeek

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 08:40:19 PM »
A Leeran, a Chee and an Andalite Walk in to a Bar

Not much time was spent in the last chapter on the cabal, so now you should meet them and learn why they serve the political consultant Merlin.  The most recognizable was state senator Silver, a golden-haired man. But now, he was turning in to an Andalite.  His arms became weaker as his stalk eyes extended; another pair of legs came out of his chest. As soon as he became comfortable on his hooves he brought his tail forward to test the blade on his blue finger.  It was sharper that he had imagined.
The next most powerful was chairman Easten, who was becoming a Leeran.  As his skin was turning yellow and his arms were turning into tentacles. He kept listening for the thoughts he was anticipating.  Then he nearly leaped out of his new skin when the voices came.  His new job was to hear the directions given by Merlin while he was in his new form.
The last was a lawyer in the employment of Easten that went by the name of Deli.  His skin became metal and ivory as he morphed Chee.
Silver was the first to get over the shock enough to speak.  <What are Merlin's next instructions?> he asked Easten.
Easten closed his eyes to filter through the thoughts his mind was being bombarded with.  Silver and I are to acquire our human forms from the blood vials that we took earlier, while Deli caries him.  After that we infest Yvonne with him.
-----
Rad left a farewell post in her thread explaining what she thought had happened to her and that she thought that she was going crazy. She planned to stay off RAF for her mental health. PM “whispers” floated around the cyber space that the forum occupied.  No one believed her, but they all entertained the thought.  J-Angel, or just J for short, started a thread called “If I became my RAFpersona...” where members contemplated what would happen to them if they turned into their persona.
A week passed with no changes to any more members.  Enough time had passed though so that the virus learned its way around the parameters that Merlin had placed on it to keep it from effecting the other RAFians.  It wanted to spread and it chose its next victim.
-----
Beth pushed her homework aside for the moment.  RAF was calling her name.  J's thread was on top of her unread post list when she logged on.

J-man> It happened to me.  I'm a grammar angel.
donut> i'm all wrong.  why am I a bird/
Myitt> Ok, I don't want to you to think I'm crazy but I'll need a Yeerk pool in three days.  How can you type?
donut> with my beak.  notice that I haven't been using shift.

Beth's eyes widened.  This made no sense.  How could this happen?  She went to type a reply when her fingers began to melt in to flippers.  “There is no way I'm going crazy too!”  She went to stand up only to fall on her belly because her legs had turned into a tail.  “Tim!” she called. Because her brother wasn’t a RAFian, he would be unchanged.
But she wasn't even at home any more.  Wherever she was, she was not alone.
“Point!” A female voice said.  She was dressed in white and had a mesh mask on, like her opponent.  Said opponent remand frozen in mid block.  “Tara?” she said looking at a woman with a narrow face.
The woman addressed answered, “She's here too.  It was like my continence was being split in two and became different persons.”
The fencer took off her mask; her face was in shock.  “I'm in a room with everything frozen and RAFians come out of nowhere.  What's next, the Ellimist?”
A man appeared in the room.  “You would be correct, Rad.  Even if I'm adjusting to my powers.”
“You're Rad,” Seal said for the first time since she had arrived.  “So you were telling the truth.”
A green dragon poofed close to Rad.  She picked him up before continuing.  “Yes, so I don't think it was overkill for me to poof, right?”
We all, even a boy Seal didn't recognize, shifted our feet.  “It was pretty crazy, Rad,” the new boy said.
The Ellimist, whose screen name Grimluk, raised his hands.  “We do need to stop this.  For each person that has changed here I'm giving them a person that you must keep from logging on, except Rad.  She's a mother now.”
“Wait,” Ma'at said, looking at the dragon in her host's arms.  “I can't take Gymn to Rad's house.  She has parents that will ask questions.”
Seal cringed at the sound of Ma'at's voice.  It was lower than Rad's already too low voice and distorted, while hinting at Rad's voice.
“Who am I keeping offline?” the boy asked.
“J,” Grimluk said.  “I'm sending you to Texas to watch your RAFbother, Bear.”
J was wide eyed.  “I don't know what he looks like.  How will I find him?”
“You'll know,” Grimluk answered.  “All transformed RAFians will know other RAFians even if they aren't transformed.”
Seal looked back at J to see that he was gone.
“Myitt, you can keep Terenia offline”
“But she's staff...”
“I know what I'm talking about.”
“He is the Ellimist,” Gymn said.
Rad jumped a bit.  “I thought that you'd be mute with only telepathy to communicate.”
Gymn tilted his head to one side and looked at Rad.  Seal could imagine that they were talking to each other telepathically.
Donut pointed to where Myitt had been standing.  “She's gone too.”
“I'm starting to think that is how it works,” Seal said.  “We get sent to wherever the other RAFians are whether we want to go or not.”
“I have to do it before the rules of the Ellimist kick in,” Grimluk said.
“What?!”
The truth was coming to Seal.  Adam, the real name behind the screen name, wasn't fully Ellimist yet.  The changes happen over a period of time.  She began to make a bubble of healing water, only to find herself drained of energy.
“Donut, you will keep Este preoccupied,” Grimluk said, massaging his temples.  As Donut went Seal saw that he was looking strained.
“Send me there,” Seal said.  “Don't explain. I can see the rules are kicking in.”
Grimuluk nodded and, with effort, pushed Seal to her new location.
She looked around her and saw him with his phone out.  Blue had typed the URL for RAF already.  “Stop!”
-----
Yvonne started crying.  Merlin had slithered out of her ear again for Kandrona from Deli's Kandrona ray generator.  “You can't get away with this.”
“Well, we are,” Silver said as kept his tail blade pointed at Yvonne.  “You gave the best speech I ever heard at the nominations dinner.  Announcing that you could no longer run for any public office takes guts.  Did Christina have an idea of what was happening?”
Easten put a grin on his frog-like face.  He had been demorphed during the speech a few nights ago. Both of her minds didn’t even have any inkling of what we were doing.
“She's keeping her cover too well,” Deli observed.  We might need to post a quote from her what she wrote in her personal thread when it happens to her on the Begging Questions blog.”
Merlin agrees, Easton said, approaching the computer and touching the keys with his tentacles.  I'll look at the post to get the URL and get inspired.
“No one believes your blog,” Yvonne shouted.  “Especially if you post something like this.  We'll shrug it off as always.”
At the name of the “Shrug it Off,” the opposing blog in the Brooklyn Blog War, Deli winced.  Yvonne knew that Merlin hated the mention of the blog and was likely yelling in the Chee's head.
The whole forum will believe because it’s happening to the rest of them, Easton said slowly.
Deli's hologram changed to Merlin's form filled with anger on his face.  “How did that happen?”
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 03:18:49 PM by Director Rad »

Offline RAFrukh

• Shapeshifting Pile of Goopness
  • Xtreme Member
  • <No, *I* have the sky!>
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 11:10:35 AM »
((Haha, if I was any of my RAF personas I would be so happy. :) ))
Shameless Promotion of my Universe
RAFcrushing on Mythgirl's ghost :hug: Rikki-Tikki-Tavi is my RAFbrother

radgeek

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 02:09:02 PM »
(((I don't know any of them that well.  But I'll be hanging around GESB so I might get to know one soon.)))

Offline Josh (J)

• The Dude
  • God
  • Back from the dead.
    • Josh the Normal
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 07:25:25 AM »
The next chapter will be up when the Grammar Nazi editor gets around to editing it. I wonder who that is.

radgeek

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 07:28:14 AM »
One can only guess.

Offline Josh (J)

• The Dude
  • God
  • Back from the dead.
    • Josh the Normal
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 07:42:26 AM »
I suppose. Whoever that guy is, I hope he does it soon.

radgeek

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 10:38:41 AM »
Yes, I'm dying here.

Offline Josh (J)

• The Dude
  • God
  • Back from the dead.
    • Josh the Normal
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 12:45:41 PM »
Well, he'd better get to it soon. :P

radgeek

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 01:43:16 PM »
Yes, I hope the Skype call he keep PMed me out has nothing to do with this.

Offline Josh (J)

• The Dude
  • God
  • Back from the dead.
    • Josh the Normal
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 02:10:36 PM »
I'm sure the Skype call had nothing to do with it.

Offline RAFrukh

• Shapeshifting Pile of Goopness
  • Xtreme Member
  • <No, *I* have the sky!>
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 09:40:19 AM »
(((I don't know any of them that well.  But I'll be hanging around GESB so I might get to know one soon.)))

((No, I'm just saying if I was one of my charies in real life, it would be a dream come true. XD))
Shameless Promotion of my Universe
RAFcrushing on Mythgirl's ghost :hug: Rikki-Tikki-Tavi is my RAFbrother

Offline Josh (J)

• The Dude
  • God
  • Back from the dead.
    • Josh the Normal
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 10:35:20 AM »
I wonder if the editor forgot he had a story to edit....*apolgizes to Rad* With ToOC, I kind of forgot. I'll do it...soon...today!

radgeek

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 10:43:25 AM »
Its ok I should have reminded you.