Author Topic: Group Re-Read: #33 The Illusion  (Read 4307 times)

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
Group Re-Read: #33 The Illusion
« on: June 21, 2009, 07:13:32 PM »
Summary
Tobias, the other Animorphs, and Ax already have a few problems: saving the world, keeping their identities secret, finishing their homework. Now they have one more thing to add to the list. The Yeerks have discovered a way to cause a person to demorph. And with this new device Visser Three plans on capturing "the Andalite bandits." Now what? The Animorphs and Ax realize they have to get rid of the device -- or be captured by the Yeerks. And the risk of getting caught is very high. That's when Tobias comes up with the only possible plan. Someone has to acquire Ax...

Questions
1. In the opening chapters of this book Rachel and Tobias are at a dance and Tobias almost passes the two hour threshold, getting stuck as a human. He wonders later if Rachel intentionally tried to keep him at the dance longer than necessary. What do you think?

2. What do you think about the Animorphs plan to find, disprove and destroy the AMR? What does this plan say about the development of the characters throughout the series thus far (especially Tobias and Jake)?

3. The Yeerks are opening a massive community center, complete with Olympic sized swimming pool, playground and Yeerk Pool entrance. The center itself is huge. What do you think that this says about the success that the Animorphs have had so far in their fight against the Yeerks? In the large scale picture, how successful do you think the Ani's have been overall?

4. Taylor/Sub-Visser is obviously a rather demented character (and one of my personal favorites!). What do you think about her portrayal, her history and her inability to distinguish clearly between Yeerk and host?

5. What do you think about Tobias' torture sessions? What about the image of Elfangor at the end?

6. Anything else?

Next week: #34 The Prophecy

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Chad32

• God
Re: Group Re-Read: #33 The Illusion
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 07:29:26 PM »
There was a poster on the wall that mentioned hawks having a low lifespan. That must have really bothered Rachel, and she felt it was for his own good. She wanted to play like it was an accident, which is pretty deceitful. Bad marks for her.

I don't think they are really winning at any point until the final battle. They hurt the Yeerks sometimes, but it takes big stuff like blowing up the pool for geurilla warfare to work. I might be wrong, though.

I don't really quite understand why Taylor and the Yeerk start confusing themselves for one person. Or why she's compared to Rachel. The tail blade thing was a bit weird too.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline anijen21

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 08:07:03 PM »
1. In the opening chapters of this book Rachel and Tobias are at a dance and Tobias almost passes the two hour threshold, getting stuck as a human. He wonders later if Rachel intentionally tried to keep him at the dance longer than necessary. What do you think?

I thought he was being paranoid tbh. Poor Rachel just wanted a nice, normal date with her boyfriend who spent the whole night freaking out about how much time he had left in morph. I was kind of on her side during this.

3. The Yeerks are opening a massive community center, complete with Olympic sized swimming pool, playground and Yeerk Pool entrance. The center itself is huge. What do you think that this says about the success that the Animorphs have had so far in their fight against the Yeerks? In the large scale picture, how successful do you think the Ani's have been overall?

I think it's honest. I mean, the Animorphs have dealt their fair share of successful blows against the Yeerks, but they're just six kids without ships, weapons, or resources. In all honesty, they're a fun distraction against the Yeerks, with Pool Ships and Blade Ships and enough resources to try stupid frivolous villain-plans like sentient sharks and free-will poison or w/e. And besides, it keeps that hopeless flavor of the tone which I really ate up.

4. Taylor/Sub-Visser is obviously a rather demented character (and one of my personal favorites!). What do you think about her portrayal, her history and her inability to distinguish clearly between Yeerk and host?

I love a well-written psycho, but Taylor just seemed implausible to me. She's 2nd in command in what I think is still considered one of the most important planets on the Yeerk's menu, and she can't even distinguish herself from her host anymore? I thought this was a really interesting Yeerk-dilemma, but why doesn't it happen to anyone else? I mean V3 is a psycho, and maybe that's the only reason he keeps her around, I guess insanity loves company, but if the Yeerk Empire were efficiently run at all, I mean, all this multiple-personality fusion or w/e you want to call it would cast some serious doubt on her as a leader.

And her speaking in thought-speech right at the climax of the book totally threw me out of the narrative.

5. What do you think about Tobias' torture sessions? What about the image of Elfangor at the end?

ngl, affectively, it worked wonders. Elfangor-character development is just my favorite in the entire series, and I was so glad we got to see a little more, and even MORE glad that Tobias got to see a little bit of it. I think the first time I read this book, when I was like 13 or w/e, I was still too turned off by the torture (and Tobias "fouling" himself...for some reason that phrase stuck with me throughout the entire book) to really let this part work, but THIS TIME I LOVED IT. I might have even shed a little tear :')

PLOT-WISE...IT DOESN'T REALLY WORK AT ALL. Ax explains the narrative Andalite voodoo-magic (lol) later and says that it's some Andalite birthright passed down from the Father's DNA to the son's. TOBIAS HAS NO ANDALITE DNA, besides Ax's because he acquired the morph, yeah yeah yeah, but in that case, shouldn't Ax's father have visited him instead of Elfangor?

But it's one of those things, I guess, push hard enough to find a pulse, but don't push hard enough to stop circulation. If that makes any sense. My suspension of disbelief has really come a lot closer to earth, the older I get.

6. Anything else?

At least there weren't any Helmacrons
I go off topic on purpose.

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 08:27:48 PM »
Well, the Sub-Visser was already in a powerful position before she became Taylor's Yeerk. She was slated to get Taylor's mother, but was too enraptured by her current host to switch. That was when the line began to get fuzzy, I suppose. Still, most of her little multiple-personality temper-tantrums seem to occur out of view of important Yeerks. She acts spoiled and temperamental around Chapman, but not deranged. And she has a healthy dose of fear when speaking with Visser Three. I think that the line has been growing fuzzy in her head, but not so much in her exterior life. Not until the torture session, when she is angry and desperate.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 08:30:58 PM »
What do you think would happen if she had actually noticed when Tobias said he'd talk? How much might he have said by the time Rachel and the others got there?

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 08:33:27 PM »
He had already said too much. The only option would have been for Rachel and the others to go through with killing her. If the Hork-Bajir standing guard had heard as well....they might well have been done for.

Offline anijen21

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 09:42:10 PM »
Well, the Sub-Visser was already in a powerful position before she became Taylor's Yeerk. She was slated to get Taylor's mother, but was too enraptured by her current host to switch. That was when the line began to get fuzzy, I suppose. Still, most of her little multiple-personality temper-tantrums seem to occur out of view of important Yeerks. She acts spoiled and temperamental around Chapman, but not deranged. And she has a healthy dose of fear when speaking with Visser Three. I think that the line has been growing fuzzy in her head, but not so much in her exterior life. Not until the torture session, when she is angry and desperate.

yeah, you're right. I guess I just didn't buy that such a high-ranking Yeerk would buy into a human's concerns that I found so trite and boring. But I guess we are just the *bestest little most captivating species* in all the galaxy, right?

/cynicism

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 10:33:50 PM »
Of course we are! We have the best homeworld - even the Ellimist says so! You can't mess with that!

And its easy to get sucked into trite things when you live with it every day, I suppose. Not really behavior suiting to her rank, but easily hidden.

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 10:54:35 PM »
6. the summary on the back is seriously misleading... why does it say "someone has to accquire ax"? I mean, yeah tobias DOES have to, but the main plan was tobias has to be the one, not someone has to accquire ax. accquiring ax is just part of the plan, if you get what i mean...

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2009, 11:00:53 PM »
Yeah. Not even a big part. I mean, seriously he spends like....five pages in Andalite morph?

Offline SkyMorpher

• Fly high, seek peace, God bless (Formerly Animel23
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2009, 11:52:17 PM »
I find this book really hard to re-read because the scenes with Taylor are kinda disturbing.

Is it me or should the after-effects of the torture been dealt with better in future books? I don't think it was brought up enough myself.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 07:33:44 AM »
I think it's mentioned in passing that he gets more withdrawn, sarcastic, and philisophical. Or something.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline rocklobster

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 10:12:01 AM »
I think Taylor's problem might be because she's voluntary.  My theory is that since she's voluntary, they collaborate with each other, their personalities meshed.

Offline anijen21

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 10:56:06 AM »
Yeah. Not even a big part. I mean, seriously he spends like....five pages in Andalite morph?

tbh I think that's what threw me off the most. Right when this book came out, I was stoked, from the "DON'T MISS" teaser chapter in #32 to the summary and w/e. I was so excited about this book, that we were going to *finally* find out what the deep differences were between humans and Andalites, that we were going to see Andalite instinct and personality and w/e, and I thought it was going to be 150 pages of frolicking around the woods and practice tail-fighting and learning solemn rituals and taking blood oaths and stuff, and then there was like, crazy ass torture and Tobias snapping and almost dying...

this book was definitely not what I expected

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2009, 11:01:26 AM »
Yeah, it was rather misleading. I would have enjoyed some Tobias/Ax bonding and learning about Andalites more than Tobias getting tortured by some crazy Yeerk.

Also, until this book came out I thought Iniss was second in command. You know, Chapman's Yeerk.

Ani-Master 2014!