Author Topic: Group Re-Read: #26 The Attack  (Read 2918 times)

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
Group Re-Read: #26 The Attack
« on: April 09, 2009, 10:00:12 PM »
Summary
The Animorphs have met the Ellimist. He "helped" to save the kids when they were about to be eaten by a Taxxon. He "helped to free two Hork-Bajir and restored Tobias' morphing ability. But, even though the Ellimist has enourmous power, he is not all-powerful. He has an enemy. The Crayak.

So, the Crayak and the Ellimist decide that a battle will prove their ultimate power. But they don't intend to fight each other: The Ellimist will choose the Animorphs, Ax, and Erek, the Chee; the Crayak will choose his own army. If the Animorphs lose they will be erased from the universe altogether. And there'll be no one left to fight the Yeerks...

Questions

1) I think that this book is a favorite amongst quite a few people. What makes this book different from so many of the others? Is it the off-world experience? The action?

2) We first saw Crayak in #6, when Jake's Yeerk died. Why do you think KA waited so long to re-introduce him as a character?

3) What do you think about the Iskoort and their symbiotic relationship? What about their odd habits?

4) Cassie and Jake finally kiss in this book. Do you think that this is a turning point for the dynamic in their relationship? Or do things basically remain the same?

5) What do you think about the Howlers? How about the way that Jake and the others finally defeated them?

6) Why don't you think Jake ever re-uses his Howler morph?

7) Any thoughts about Crayak and the Ellimist's roles in this book? This is when we first meet Crayak. What do you think about him??

8 ) Anything else?

Next week: #27 The Exposed

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Gafrash

Re: Group Re-Read: #26 The Attack
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 02:13:46 AM »
1) I think that this book is a favorite amongst quite a few people. What makes this book different from so many of the others? Is it the off-world experience? The action?
Indeed. It felt like this meeting of the Cryak and the Anis was an impeding story, everyone knew was going to happen, and that this was a 'must' read. The Anis had already been off-world before, but this book also had plenty of action and a new species in the mix.

2) We first saw Crayak in #6, when Jake's Yeerk died. Why do you think KA waited so long to re-introduce him as a character?
I think it was important to build Cryak as a character off-panel, much like the Ellimist, wrapped up in mystery. But the descriptions were so up to our imagination, that's why I think he's such a powerful character. I mean, a planetoid red-eye with metallic parts and living creatures on its surface, sounds surreal and completely fitting in the Animorphs' world.
In #6, it felt like the descriptions were ambiguous and may just have been a sideffect thing to the Yeerk having died inside Jake's head. But in this book, we are forced to flashback to that instance, and realize that Cryak had actually targetted the young Animorph then.
At this stage in the series, it was important to get a taste of what his and the Ellimist's game was.

3) What do you think about the Iskoort and their symbiotic relationship? What about their odd habits?
To be honest, the Iskoort never really struck me as an interesting species, so I don't really remember their habits and such well. The prospects of the Yeerks stumbling across this species in the future is indeed what could have been the only non-controversial positive solution to the AndaliteXYeerk war.

4) Cassie and Jake finally kiss in this book. Do you think that this is a turning point for the dynamic in their relationship? Or do things basically remain the same?
I can't actually remember if anything happens to the two post-this-kiss. The two were never exactly open in their attractions. And they didn't proceed to making the kissing thing a normal thing further on.
Did they reach a new level in their relationship through that kiss?! It honestly didn't feel like so...

5) What do you think about the Howlers? How about the way that Jake and the others finally defeated them?
It was an interesting to choice to make them seem like 'children who were being taught wrong'. The image that sticks to mind is of the Howlers trying to kiss the next species they tried to attack.

I've always asked myself this, too. Much like the Leeran morphs, his Howler morph wasn't a thing of a timestream, like the jaguar, spider-monkey or the dinosaurs from the previous adventures. So surely he could morph so again.
Jake may well not have liked the experience to use the Howler morph again.

7) Any thoughts about Crayak and the Ellimist's roles in this book? This is when we first meet Crayak. What do you think about him??
I like the way KA immersed us in their game, for we finally get a glimpse at HOW it is they engage the rules of their games without 'engaging' in the game itself.
I think Cryak was just solidly portrayed as the equal opposite of the Ellimist.
BUT, I do tend to question through this book if Cryak is indeed as powerful as the Ellimist. Like, is all the spacial-displacement and time-travel done through the powers of the Ellimist, or does Cryak possess those same abilities, too?!

8 ) Anything else?
Ax has a very powerful moment here. Where he flees from the Howler's shriek. Feeling like a coward.
I don't actually remember why he was the only one of the group who ran away in that instance. Does the fact that Erek is a programmed robot, make him non-sentient and immune to the Howler's cry?!

And there's NO HINTS of the 'Wildcard' Drode in this story...

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 05:21:27 AM »
For me, personally, it was the whole 7 vs. 7 deal... I think it's some weird habit, I want all teams to have the same number of players, and all players to have the same amount of attacks, etc...

I think KA just forgot about the red eye thing until now... yeah, not a very interesting answer, but that's what I think.

symbiotic relationship, clever and cool. habits, completely the opposite...

They're extremely powerful, and their background is most interesting. it's what makes them my favourite species. I'm not completely sure what the hesitation was about, though, when they found out about the howlers being kids...

My personal theory: the non-sentient rule (unless absolutely necessary).

8 ) Anything else?
Ax has a very powerful moment here. Where he flees from the Howler's shriek. Feeling like a coward.
I don't actually remember why he was the only one of the group who ran away in that instance. Does the fact that Erek is a programmed robot, make him non-sentient and immune to the Howler's cry?!
Well Ax's physical brain was sentient, while all the others weren't, and Erek is an android so he doesn't have a physical, organic brain...

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 07:36:48 AM »

This has always been one of my favourites, but I'm not entirely sure why because there were a few cool things about this book. Being in unfamiliar territory facing a new and unbeatable race of warriors was pretty cool. The Yeerks always had the advantage in numbers but the Animorphs always won. It was interesting to see them face an equal number of foes and still lose so badly.

I also liked the introduction of Crayak and the heavy involvement of Erek in this book.

Either the thing in #6 wasn't supposed to be part of the plot originally and she just changed her mind, or maybe she intended it to be a long term plot development.

The symbiotic idea was ingenious and the concept of recording and viewing memories was interesting, but besides that they were a truly bizarre and mentally unstable race motivated almost solely by greed. Even so, they hardly deserved to be torn apart by Howlers.

It was a cool moment, but it didn't really seem to affect their relationship, the two of them never even started dating. Rachel and Tobias had way more relationship moments even though Tobias was a bird! What was holding back Jake and Cassie?

They're awesome! I did a book report on #26 years ago in school and I read out the passage where they first encounter a Howler and Jakes is describing how deadly it looks. The way Jake defeated them was very clever too, I never saw it coming (and it was hilarious the way he beat the first one!)

It's possible he no longer can use it, just like they couldn't use the Dinosaur morphs after Megamorphs#2. Either that or he felt bad morphing one because of the fact that they were actually just naive children who didn't know what they were doing was wrong (I love the way that was done). When he first morphed one he obviously felt guilty and almost abandoned his plan, so it makes sense that he wouldn't want to morph one again.

The Crayak idea was great. Before that we just thought the Ellimist was too mean to help them directly or something, but introducing Crayak explained why the Ellimist can't give them more help. The relationship between them is very interesting. It makes me wonder if God and Satan work in a similar way...
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 11:24:15 AM »
Definitely one of the best books in a great series. I just though it was kinda making the Animorphs part of something more. We've meet the Ellimist, more or less a demi-god, and now finally we meet his counterpart; evil-en-eyeball. Just knowing they're out there meddling in the universe just seems to tie in the story more. And then the Howlers: devils shock troops, wrapping back to the Pemalites, some many things are tied together in this one, makes it feel some much more involved   singing*It's a small universe after all*

And not only are the howlers the most bad a$$ badies in all of bad town, they get brought down, for good, by teenagers.
It just makes you feel good.

Even the mush is well done. They finally kiss, but it's not some over powering thing that reshapes the world, it was just emboding all that was always there.

Though I for one am mad he never used the howler morph again. I see no reason why he'd be stripped of it by the ellimist, I can't imagine Crayak would be allowed to make those kinda moves without ellimist wrath arising, so I see no physical reasons for it. A moral object I sight as the reason, but I still think he should have done it once or twice, even without the howl or the weapons it could probably shred a few controllers with ease.
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline anijen21

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 11:36:45 AM »
I think it was important to build Cryak as a character off-panel, much like the Ellimist, wrapped up in mystery. But the descriptions were so up to our imagination, that's why I think he's such a powerful character. I mean, a planetoid red-eye with metallic parts and living creatures on its surface, sounds surreal and completely fitting in the Animorphs' world.
In #6, it felt like the descriptions were ambiguous and may just have been a sideffect thing to the Yeerk having died inside Jake's head. But in this book, we are forced to flashback to that instance, and realize that Cryak had actually targetted the young Animorph then.

This was actually something I was disappointed by when I finally got over myself and picked up Lord of the Rings. I was like, "she just stole Sauron! She didn't even change anything!" But then I read the Anibase one day and apparently a lot of stuff is shout-outs to Lord of the Rings: Elfangor was named after Fangorn forest, Alloran=Olorin, and I guess Ax's middle name, Esgarrouth, is after something in Lord of the Rings but I didn't read the appendices so I have no idea. I think there may be other stuff but I can't remember.

Still, it kind of stabbed my love for Animorphs in the heart when I finally figured that out :'(
I go off topic on purpose.

Offline AniDragon

• Gold Donor
  • Train of thought, like broken pencil, has no point
    • My tumblr
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 11:49:26 AM »
I loved book 26... Easily one of my favourites. I think at the time it came out, it was because I was SUCH a Jake/Cassie shipper, that I was extatic that they'd finally kised (And I love Marco's reaction... "What, no kiss for me?" XD).

Now, I think I like it because I've done so much research on Chee and Pemalite lore for my fanfic, and this book gives us some very good insight on Erek, in particular. Like how he realized that the Howlers were just children when he first absorbed their memories, but kept quiet about it because he didn't want the Animorphs to feel pity and potentially spare them. His programming kept him from hurting the Howlers, so this was probably the most ammount of revenge he was able to get.

Also, if I recall right, I think this is the first book the Chee have shown up in that ISN'T narated by Marco... Anyone else notice that?
~AniDragon, aka Riona-chan~

Currently Reading: Winterwode, by J Tullos Hennig
Currently Writing: Demon's Bane
Currently Editing: Elder's Requiem

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 02:02:02 PM »
Trivia nerd point: Didn't Eric show up in 18 (Ax book) to annouce that Aldershot III was run over by Chapman?

But yeah first big non Marco part, definitely. Don't know why they worked so hard to keep Marco the ambassador to androids :-\
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline AniDragon

• Gold Donor
  • Train of thought, like broken pencil, has no point
    • My tumblr
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 03:48:20 PM »
Hm... It's possible... I'll have to check out book 18 later to be sure, though.
~AniDragon, aka Riona-chan~

Currently Reading: Winterwode, by J Tullos Hennig
Currently Writing: Demon's Bane
Currently Editing: Elder's Requiem

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 05:31:37 PM »
That's weird, and I never noticed. Erek was once a friend of Marco, and most books with the Androids in it were narrated by Marco? I wonder why.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline dolphin4077

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 05:54:17 PM »
1.  It was just one of those books that kept getting better and more intense with each chapter.

2.  If I remember the Scholastic website correctly, fan demand was the motivation for the Crayak's development and that KAA had no idea what she was going to do with the BRE while writing book 6.

3.  I liked the Iskroot more than I liked the Helmacrons.  The symbiotic relationship was cool, but I wished the Animorphs could have somehow used the knowledge to their advantage instead letting the Yeerks and Iskroot not meeting each other for 300 years fact stymy them.

4.  The kiss was sweet, but it didn't change the dynamic.  But the problem with the Jake/Cassie relationship was that until #50 there was no problem with the relationship.  Since nobody wants to read about the Valley of the Happy People there wasn't a reason to show more of their relationship as compared with Rachel and Tobias.  The series two major romances have opposite development arcs.  Rachel/Tobias rough in beginning, but they accept it and the relationship fades into the background while Jake/Cassie who were fine now take center stage because their relationship falls apart.       

5.  Leave it to KAA to make me initially hate someone/species but end up like/pity them.  However, the way the Howlers were defeated was pretty awesome.

6.  The three reasons I could think of: no morphing sentient beings rule, the kiss memory affected the morph and made it unusable for combat, and the most likely reason -guilt.

7.  Crayak definitely gives the Ellimist a likeability.  It's fun having them around because I like the mythic quality they bring to the story. 

It's funny how certain minor characters only show up when a particular character is narrator.  For awhile the Chee and the free Hork-Bajir were only in Marco and Tobias' respective books.  Aftran only shows up in Cassie's books.  Visser 1 has the impeccable timing to only stage an appearence when Marco narrates.  And there are plenty of other examples out there.  I understand why that happens, but I'm kind of curious what would happen if, for example, Visser 1 showed up in a Jake narration.  Could that radically change anything or not?

8.  Speaking of Erek, rereading this book after knowing the end totally changed my perspective about Erek.  Did anyone else think it was a bit hypocritical for Erek to be mad at Jake during the last battle when he used the Animorphs to get his revenge on the Howlers?       

Offline Gafrash

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2009, 04:11:13 AM »
This book is a favorite of mine, too.
I almost forgot all the Pemalite/Chee background tie-in references in this story.

...It's funny how certain minor characters only show up when a particular character is narrator.  For awhile the Chee and the free Hork-Bajir were only in Marco and Tobias' respective books.  Aftran only shows up in Cassie's books.  Visser 1 has the impeccable timing to only stage an appearence when Marco narrates.  And there are plenty of other examples out there.  I understand why that happens, but I'm kind of curious what would happen if, for example, Visser 1 showed up in a Jake narration.  Could that radically change anything or not?...
Isn't this interesting?! I actually never really took notice of this.
But you can see why, can't you!?

This was actually something I was disappointed by when I finally got over myself and picked up Lord of the Rings. I was like, "she just stole Sauron! She didn't even change anything!" But then I read the Anibase one day and apparently a lot of stuff is shout-outs to Lord of the Rings: Elfangor was named after Fangorn forest, Alloran=Olorin, and I guess Ax's middle name, Esgarrouth, is after something in Lord of the Rings but I didn't read the appendices so I have no idea. I think there may be other stuff but I can't remember.

Still, it kind of stabbed my love for Animorphs in the heart when I finally figured that out :'(
Now, this is interesting. I never actually noticed the similarities. But yeah, aspects of Sauron DO allude to Cryak's.

I don't think it's a 'time' thing like in the case of the dinosaur morphs and all.
Could the answer lie in the 'rules of The Game'?! Tobias was allowed to regain his morphing power AND his human shape. Cryak, in turn, may not have let them go back with Jake with the code for one of his deadly creations floating in his bloodstream.
Had Jake stated anywhere that he tried morphing the Howler and he couldn't?!

:o :o :o But HOW COOL would it be if The One there was Cryak and, upon SOMEHOW surviving the 'ship-ramming' kamikaze thing, they battle The One's forces, and in the end (AS A TWIST), Jake morphs the Howler to rescue Ax and all the other sentient creatures in said-ship!!!!! :o :o :o :o
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 12:58:35 AM by Gafrash »

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2009, 08:27:12 AM »
Perhaps another reason Jake won't use the Howler morph is because of how the howling works. If he's the only one with the morph and he howls during a battle he'll be partially incapacitating his own people. Probably not the best idea...

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2009, 08:34:43 AM »
Yeah, he'd have to be totally isolated in order to use the howl. If not, he'd have to rely on claws and his ability to quickly heal from injuries. Which may sound ok, unless he has ten Horks on his butt at once. Or Visser Three in a morph big enough to eat him whole/cover him in acid.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2009, 01:22:13 AM »
what if all the others were already unconscious? how would the howl affect them?